PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions from someone that is new to eq1ish..

Eternalnoob
04-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Hello finnaly got a pc after mine broke down and i have everything installed so i can actually play now and have a few questions

1) looks like i have a level 6 druid named stormsara is a druid good for someone thats new to eq1 and has no money or anything?

2) in being new i really mean i played when kunark was live until i think the moon xpac but i made a gazillion alts never got anything above 50 and had no clue what the f i was doing. beings that, any good solid piece of advice for someone like me?

3) i thought i read there was a global chat channel? how would i go about accessing that?

4) lastly is there a date on when the velious expansion is coming out? that would be the expansion i mostly remember from back in the day.

Thank you for any input and or advice.

tekniq
04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
1. you can make some decent coin porting people but you're gonna have to hit 29 at least. if you like quadding/soloing, then roll a druid bc no one really wants them in groups.

2. if you actually enjoy grouping, don't roll a druid. druid is jack of all trades - good at everything, best at nothing.

3. that is for r99 only, the pvp server.

4. if i could take a hunch, i would say christmas season of this year.

Eternalnoob
04-30-2012, 01:54 PM
ahh ok thank you i wont be playing on the pvp server i have always sucked at pvp i get ganked die and subsequently look for infants to punch to relive my frustration.
i generally play classes that are needed in mmorpgs but if i remember right clerics are extreeeeemly slow and hard to level? Id love to play a more group oriented class but need one that can solo decently as i dont have tons of time to play.

Shizzam
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
roll a bard imo

dcapotos
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Play what you find fun.

Druids aren't so bad in group at low level, thorns is nice and it seems like the only class with damage shield since mages seem to have been abandoned recently. Druids have snare, which is very needed if not mandatory with the recent changes to mob movement speed. They also have harmony which is awesome for breaking up camps to pull from. They are very useful, but some of your abilities are limited to outdoor zones only. They solo fairly well too. It's a great first character to have.

godbox
04-30-2012, 03:00 PM
ahh ok thank you i wont be playing on the pvp server i have always sucked at pvp i get ganked die and subsequently look for infants to punch to relive my frustration.
i generally play classes that are needed in mmorpgs but if i remember right clerics are extreeeeemly slow and hard to level? Id love to play a more group oriented class but need one that can solo decently as i dont have tons of time to play.

nothing is really super slow to lvl on p99 unless you force yourself to solo with troll SK. Most ppl are aware of the game mechanics enough to try to duo more than solo. Cleric will have lots of friends (unless your are a chronic ninja afker) and theres lots of zones you can hang out/camp in where you can log and quickly find somone to duo with since you will do work well ith everything except rouge/wiz/druid (since being able to heal does not increase kill speed with these 3 imo)

to sumarize:
step 1 pick whatever class you wanna play except warrior/sk/rogue which need gearing (pally gear ppl practically give away).
step 2 stay in dungeon zones and every time you log do /who all monk +/- 5 of your lvl
step 3 form duo and enjoy great exp
step 4 if no monk available repeat step 2 with ench>necro>shadow/pala>war>sham>mage>wiz>rogue>...ranger?

Brimacombe
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
If you do not run multiple tell conversations in a full group dungeon and die with 80% of your mana as the group wipes, you will always be welcome in a group.
If you do, you will find groups anyway, but you will always be second fiddle to a healer who does not treat EQ like ICQ :)

-Brimacombe

Eternalnoob
04-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Im not a super chatty person. Im the type thats just quiet and concentrates on doing the role im supposed to do. In eq2 it was heal as a templar im group in wow it was heal as a resto druid or dps as an enhance shammy. In rift i was a healer as well.

Eternalnoob
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
After doing some thinking i decided to roll a dwarf cleric named Duerel. Im pretty casual so fast leveling isnt going to be happening for me any how so might as well take the time to get a usefull toon up there. And i always tend to gravitate towards healers in mmorpgs. So guess cleric it will be. What would be my soloing tactics as a cleric? pretty much heal and melee? Im looking at a spell list and it seems like most my spells are pretty weak and or only useful against undead?

fischsemmel
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Clerics do very well soloing undead. If you search with google or the forum search you can find a cleric solo guide. I found 19-39 to be especially nice as a solo cleric in unrest.

Like others have said, if you want to group, I'd suggest small groups (2-4 people) in a dungeon instead of some 6-man group in oasis or OT or something.

Also, you can do whatever race you want of course, but I have to put in a suggestion for halfling. Hide and sneak on a cleric is so very, very awesome. A little quicker leveling doesn't hurt either!

webrunner5
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
nothing is really super slow to lvl on p99 unless you force yourself to solo with troll SK. Most ppl are aware of the game mechanics enough to try to duo more than solo. Cleric will have lots of friends (unless your are a chronic ninja afker) and theres lots of zones you can hang out/camp in where you can log and quickly find somone to duo with since you will do work well ith everything except rouge/wiz/druid (since being able to heal does not increase kill speed with these 3 imo)

to sumarize:
step 1 pick whatever class you wanna play except warrior/sk/rogue which need gearing (pally gear ppl practically give away).
step 2 stay in dungeon zones and every time you log do /who all monk +/- 5 of your lvl
step 3 form duo and enjoy great exp
step 4 if no monk available repeat step 2 with ench>necro>shadow/pala>war>sham>mage>wiz>rogue>...ranger?

Not much Ranger love there godbox lol. Hangs my head in shame.