PDA

View Full Version : Any comparrison?

maultar
05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
After over 10 years of playing mmorpg's and coming full circle, nothing beats EQ. Wife and I were discussing it, she like the freedom and challenge EQ presents. It's not so cookie cutter. Sure there are quests many people do but some don't do any. You are not required to lok for "!" over peoples heads and go get 5 pelts, 6 teeth, 7 foreskins. It's just do whatever you want where ever you want.

Are there any games out there old or new that have that same feel to it? That aren't so pvp centric either.

Omnimorph
05-07-2010, 01:29 PM
For most people i think EQ was their first MMO, and it had a feeling that they no doubt tried replicating with other MMO's, but none came close. (whether this be because EQ had something special, or just because it was your first MMO i'm not sure)

Either way, the fact that so many people are back here i'd say that there isn't any :)

maultar
05-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I think I have to agree, and that's a sad thing. EQ being such a hit and all, did no other companies want to try and have some of that on their own? I mean there are tons of WoW copy cats. Why was there no EQ copy cats?

From what I remember didn't horizons have that freedom feeling to it? I never stuck with it.

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Because EQ is difficult and people don't want to play difficult games.

maultar
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Or the plight of the casual gamer caused the cookie cutter crap. You right too Shanna. I remember all the FAQ's on games coming out. What about the casual gamer etc etc etc. Why can't one play a difficult game casually? :P Don't have to sink too much time in to EQ to get moving seriously. Sure you may not get epic or jboots but there is so much more to be had.

Omnimorph
05-07-2010, 01:37 PM

EQ isn't difficult though :/ it's just unforgiving. You mess up, you die, lose loads of exp and have to get your shit back.

Sort of thing that if it happened to you 5 times in a row you would probably quit :p

Excision Rottun
people don't want to play difficult games.

Women seem to....oh we're not talking about RL?

Shannacore
Women seem to....oh we're not talking about RL?

Bahaha, shush.

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 01:39 PM
EQ isn't difficult though :/ it's just unforgiving. You mess up, you die, lose loads of exp and have to get your shit back.

Sort of thing that if it happened to you 5 times in a row you would probably quit :p

Well, that's what I meant. Worded improperly.

Yellow
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
he isnt lieing your species is pro at mind warfare.

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Doesn't mean we all do eet !

Yellow
05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
bullshit, i call shenanigans.

Loke
05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
For me it isnt as much the game play as it is the community. In EQ, everyone knows everyone else because we're all put in one world that we need to share. In heavily instanced games like WoW, you aren't forced to interact with others as much, thus there remains a large sense of anonimity. I played WoW pretty hard core for quite a few years, and honestly, I probably knew more members from guilds on other servers that we were competing with (in the sense of completing content first) than I did the guilds on my own server that were slightly behind us content wise.

Given P99 is a much smaller community, and while I don't personally know everyone.. I am probably familiar with the names of the vast majority of players in raiding guilds or that have been on the server for awhile. The game forces us to have a community in which you might not get to know everyone, but you're bound to run into or hear of people if they're around long enough.. and I always liked that.

Yellow
05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I completely agree with loke.

Deathrydar
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I actually feel that it is a dark time for MMORPGs. For some reason, the companies that create the games now cater to the casual gamer.

Everquest is now but a shadow of what it once was. Most of the changes are attributed to dumbing the game down. You don't have to get your corpse when you die, you level fast as hell, the reward isn't worth the time they put in so they demand better loot drops on raids, etc.

Even WoW wasn't all that bad when it first came out in 2004.
Then people started whining about things how things are too hard, how camping spawns take too much time, There are guarenteed loots to drop when you hit raid targets.

I am not sure why the current mindset is of these gaming companies are:
the casual gamer > the hardcore gamer
I mean, I think we are the more loyal ones anyway, don't you think?

Unfortunately, the future of the genre that was made for people like you and me, is being taken over by the people who speak with numbers and letters and get off on ruining a gaming experience for other people.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.....I'm not sure. Either way, we will never see another game like this one ever again, so enjoy your time in Norrath, friends!

bionicbadger
05-07-2010, 03:21 PM

EQ isn't especially difficult. It just takes time. The instant gratification isn't there. If you want something in EQ you have to put in the time and you can get it .

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 03:24 PM
EQ isn't especially difficult. It just takes time. The instant gratification isn't there. If you want something in EQ you have to put in the time and you can get it .

Well, that's what I meant. Worded improperly.

Alifeyl
05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
EQ is the only MMORPG that made me cry IRL. :p

Shannacore
05-07-2010, 05:40 PM

Bahahahaha

Tallenn
05-07-2010, 05:47 PM
What quest requires you to gather foreskins?

Omnimorph
05-07-2010, 05:50 PM

That's just sad...

Now if you're talking nerd rages... EQ is no.1 game :D

guy ks's you... RAAAAAGE
guy trains you .... RAAAAAAGE
mob doesn't spawn for you ... RAAAAAAGE ...

you get the idea.

km2783
05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
For most people i think EQ was their first MMO, and it had a feeling that they no doubt tried replicating with other MMO's, but none came close. (whether this be because EQ had something special, or just because it was your first MMO i'm not sure)

Either way, the fact that so many people are back here i'd say that there isn't any :)

This.

Nothing else after EQ has left me with such a feeling of wonderment as I had back in 1999. DAoC was fun, heck WoW was fun for a time, but nothing has yet given me that old feeling and I don't think anything ever will again.

Corpse Runs are still misery concentrate, but I love the 14 classes and everything else about the game.

EQuality
05-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I am not sure why the current mindset is of these gaming companies are:
the casual gamer > the hardcore gamer
I mean, I think we are the more loyal ones anyway, don't you think?

Loyalty isn't what companies who sell online gaming are interested in. It's purely $$. Casual gamers are far more plentiful than hardcore and are therefore a much bigger source of $$.

I don't blame EQ, WoW, or any of the crappy knockoffs for catering to what the majority wants. I may not like it, although some of the stuff is actually pretty cool if you give it a try, but that's how it is.

A big part of marketing is convincing people that they want what you are selling. If old school EQ fans weren't so elitist and would try a more inviting and progressive approach they might have been able to shape the game into what they wanted and still increased it's membership. Instead they cried "ur making the game too EZ!!1!" and "WoW is for babies and ppl who dont wanna werk!". What exactly did those "bitch on the forum threads" tactics do? About 11 million WoW subscribers and EQ following in its footsteps to try and maintain a playerbase. Boy we sure won that fight...