PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: /pet kill

Yinaltin
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
i remember back in classic eq farming bonechips by sending pet to kill the mobs with the /pet kill command . "/pet kill a" was enough for pet to walk out and kill all what had an "a" in the name such as "a skeleton" . i miss that command here badly :)

ps dont get me wrong it killed one mob per command . not the whole zone :p

Gorroth
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
/pet kill [name] and /pet attack [name] had the same exact effect.

What the game currently lacks is the command to make a pet attack a specific mob by sole us of a command line (/cmd), without having to target it specifically. Right now, if one types /pet attack [name or part of name], the pet targets itself instead and tries to "attack" itself, which is not classic.

nilbog
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't remember when that command was added, or when I found it, at least.

They are a little different though.
For example, if you use '/pet kill a moss snake' then your pet will go nuts and spontaneously chase down not just one, but ALL moss snakes in the area.

However, targeting a specific moss snake then using /pet attack or /pet attack %T will make it only attack that one snakes.
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=17806

Yinaltin
05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
yeah sorry i missed a point . if you typed "/pet attack a skeleton" it would kill the nearest "a skeleton" without having to target it . hitting the macro again would let it kill the now nearest "a skeleton" . this was , as a necro , the best way to farm quick and lazy bonechips :) i do remember using that in 1999 in butcherbolck :p

Gorroth
05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I've used "/pet attack" since Kunark to make my pet attack the nearest, most relevant mob without having to target anything. It was useful when farming bone chips (Paineel newbie area comes to mind), pelts, or for "ghetto" tracking a mob, since its range was greater than /target [name].

Uaellaen
05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
while we are on the pet attack thread ... pets did not have a tiny leash like they have currently ... the radius the mob has to be in for /pet attack is laughable ... in classic i could target a mob in the total east of west karanas, run all the way to the west, and say pet attack and he ran off ... now i basicly have to stick my shovel up the mobs bum for the pet to react ...

Gorroth
05-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Full explanation of /pet attack [name] command.

The /pet attack [name] had 4 components:

1) The pet would check the zone for the closest mob matching the given [name] or for the closest target that matched the shortened name (e.g. /pet attack a => pet attacks "a skeleton").

2) Self-target acquisition (the pet would target the mob itself).

3) Aggro its own target, according to the /pet attack command.

4) Aggro confirmation ([pet] tells you, 'Attacking [name], master.').

1) and 2) were believed to have infinite, or close to infinite range, until it got nerfed during Luclin. Pet classes could "pet track" raid targets anywhere from the zone-in by first typing "/pet attack [desired target]" and then assisting their pets. This, of course, didn't tell them where the mob was, but it did inform them if it was up. This was also routinely used on PvP servers by mages to acquire their guild mates as target for the Call of Hero spell.

I once tested 3) during classic and the aggro range was slightly bigger than the farthest clip plane allowed you to see monsters during clear weather, at day.

This was invaluable for pet classes, especially mages, since they had little tools at their disposal when looking for specific mobs in a zone (prime example: Quillmane) and would allow partial "visibility" of mobs during weather events (rain, storm) by using the pet like a blind man's dog.

Mind you, it would be understandable if 1) wasn't implemented on P99 as it were on live, but a toned-down version of 1) and an equivalent version of 3) instead of the ridiculously short aggro range we now have would be welcome.

Uaellaen
05-08-2010, 05:32 AM
instead of the ridiculously short aggro range we now have would be welcome.

dont care about anything, but THIS .. exactly this .. stupidly small range, not classic at all .. i can live with not beeing able to track mobs with my /pet attack command, since it was already considered "buggy" once they found out ... but the range, definatly didnt get nerfed till way past velious .. sadly i cant find any patchnotes confirming this ...

Yinaltin
05-21-2010, 06:42 AM
bump

guineapig
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM
dont care about anything, but THIS .. exactly this .. stupidly small range, not classic at all .. i can live with not beeing able to track mobs with my /pet attack command, since it was already considered "buggy" once they found out ... but the range, definatly didnt get nerfed till way past velious .. sadly i cant find any patchnotes confirming this ...

JUNE 12, 2002

Restored the range limit on /pet attack.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020612.html

Qaedain
08-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Doing some fooling around tonight with my pet (hubba), and I was reminded of this thread. What's the status on this topic?