PDA

View Full Version : So, I rolled a bard... Help?

zsimps692
04-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I rolled a Half elf bard the other day. Currently one bulb away from level 6 and enjoying the class. But, well, I'm kinda confused confused on a couple of things, and would like an explanation please! :D
Why do I need a drum or lute? It seems that I can sing all the songs?

Is there some key press I can do that will correlate to my spell bar on the screen? Trying to twist 3 songs and click mobs is a little difficult with only use of the mouse.

Is buying a bow or ranged weapon advised or just a waste of time?

And finally, just general tips would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time to any and all who read/reply!

kazroth
04-08-2012, 11:40 PM
1. The instruments improve the effects of some of your songs. I believe some songs require an instrument to play later on.

2. You should create macros for this. Oh the first line you will want to /stop singing. Second line, /cast the song you want to start singing.

3. I think it's a waste of time once you get your DD song, but others may have other answers.

4. Will let the experienced pros help you out here.

falkun
04-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Use instruments to improve songs beyond their base. A few wind instrument songs (levi, invis, etc.) require a wind instrument to play. To see the advantages of instruments, use this spreadsheet by Pinkfloyd:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50223&highlight=bard+song+spreadsheet

Put your level in the top left cell, and input the appropriate instrument modifiers in the top row of cells. Most instrument mods can be found on either the P99 wiki or on Allah's, but the store-bought mods are almost all 1.8 (80% mod), for a baseline. The spreadsheet will show you how much improvement you get in your resist and DoT songs.

Bard AoE Kiting Guide (with links to other how-tos at the bottom):
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=248109&postcount=8

Use keybinds for singing. You can just bind your spell slots to keys, but then you have to press twice for bard songs (1 time to stop the previous song and another to start the next song), or you can make a social macro with two lines:
Line 1: /stopsong or /stopcast
Line 2: /cast # where # is the spell slot you want to use, 1-8.
Add this(these) macros to your hotbar, keybind them to something, and then use your keyboard for all singing purposes. Use your mouse to move instruments/weapons (no bandolier on P99, and I quit before they put it in on Live), and to target mobs.

Also note that songs last ~3 server ticks, so 12-18seconds. You should be able to twist 3 songs easily (keep all up 100% of the time, lag notwithstanding), 4 songs pretty well (1 song occasionally drops for < 1 server tic), and 5 songs with help (Breath of Harmony).

IMO ranged weapons are a waste, buy a runed bone fork sometime in your 40s and never look back (until maybe Velious).

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Dreenk317
04-09-2012, 12:08 PM
As a bard I use throwing knives all the time. I find them essential for my low level when ae kiting. Instead of running around twisting ae damage song hoping it ticks on the mob as you run buy, or praying it doesn't tick on something that will slay you, or, stopping to smack each mob to Agro it and risking get chain ganked by your train. I simply run by and throw a knife at it, now it's angry and following along without much risk to me, I'll generally run around till I have gone through a stack or so of knives and then kite them all down. I personally don't know of any other ae kiting pulling methods, so I could be doing this in a sub-par way, and there might be a much more effective method I do not know of out there, but I find throwing knives/shurikens to be very effective personally, just my 2cp.

Snoogie
04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks Falkun, your response has helped me out a lot!

edgrubermn
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
As a bard I use throwing knives all the time. I find them essential for my low level when ae kiting. Instead of running around twisting ae damage song hoping it ticks on the mob as you run buy, or praying it doesn't tick on something that will slay you, or, stopping to smack each mob to Agro it and risking get chain ganked by your train. I simply run by and throw a knife at it, now it's angry and following along without much risk to me, I'll generally run around till I have gone through a stack or so of knives and then kite them all down. I personally don't know of any other ae kiting pulling methods, so I could be doing this in a sub-par way, and there might be a much more effective method I do not know of out there, but I find throwing knives/shurikens to be very effective personally, just my 2cp.

Social Aggro..... just trail the kite you have through mobs of the same type and if they are social, they'll add in... no knives needed.

zsimps692
04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Now that I'm around lvl 8 or so, I'm having a real issue soloing whites... whats going on? I know bards aren't supposed to be crazy Melee, but certainly I should be able to solo white con mobs?

Lazortag
04-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Now that I'm around lvl 8 or so, I'm having a real issue soloing whites... whats going on? I know bards aren't supposed to be crazy Melee, but certainly I should be able to solo white con mobs?

At level 8 you should get your stringed instruments ability (from a bard GM), buy a lute, and go kite some willowisps in north karana with chords of dissonance. Level 8 is when it starts to get really fast for Bards.

Even if you're not into kiting, soloing whites shouldn't be too difficult if you can modify your dot/regen

danceparty
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
i'm lvl 44 and every bard i group with is like "i started two weeks ago" ...literally gaining half a level per pull mass kiting. figure out how to do this.