PDA

View Full Version : Guildie cannot get past server select screen

Bumamgar
05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
A guildmate of mine can't log in to p99. He gets to server select screen, selects Project 1999, gets a black screen and it tries to load for about 2 minutes, then bounces him back to server select.

He's running Titanium client on Windows 7.

He's tried the following things to get it working:
-Tried to dmz
-Open ports
-Wineq 2.0
-Direct x 9.0c Installed
-Video Card Driver uptodate
-Tried various Resolutions including monitor max
-Running in Admin Mode
-Running in winxp sp3 compat mode
-Tried reinstalling(3x).
-tried to run with disabled sound
-Updated Sound card driver

Any ideas on other things for him to try to get it working?

Bumamgar
05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Update: sometimes it gives him a 1017 error, sometimes not, but it never lets him get to character select.

Xumosa
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
try disabling firewalls and maybe UAC? or at least make sure the firewall isnt getting involved in anyway

President
05-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Try running in win98/me compatability

Xumosa
05-05-2010, 04:45 PM
what kind of processor does he have?

Bumamgar
05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Further info (I pointed him to the EQEmu FAQ)

1. Most likely you are running the wrong version of Everquest. Only Legal copies of Everquest Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer completely unpatched will work.

-Using a torrented copy that has worked for a friend playing the project server (Homp)

2. You may want to try other servers to make sure that it isn't a problem on that particular server.

-Had this same problem before trying to play on last emu server

3. If you live in a dorm or are playing at work, you might be using a proxy that is blocking port 5998, which means you won't be able to connect.

-Dmz'd should solve it if this is the problem ya? Playing from home btw

4. If you are running a P2P or Torrent program, it might be using all of your bandwidth. Try turning them all off.

-Tried with torrent programs off....Doubt it would matter tho I upload at 5kbs max and not downloading anything.

5. You may have a firewall that is blocking EQ. Disable all firewalls.

-I do not use firewalls at all

6. If you are running a Dual Core CPU or Windows Vista, you will probably need to read the following post and apply at least one of the fixes listed in it: http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25327

-Wineq2 should take care of cores ya?

7. You may need to adjust your Windows Desktop and/or your Everquest Resolution settings.

-Can try to mess with desktop resos i guess

8. Make sure your drivers are up to date for your Video Card.

-Done

9. If you have sound enabled, make sure your sound card is working.

-tried it with sound disabled

10. Try resetting your router. If that doesn't help, try connecting your PC directly to your cable/dsl modem and see if that helps.

I cant seem to connect directly to the modem for some reason. I get no connection.

11. If you previously had another version of EQ installed and installed SoF over the old install (even if you uninstalled EQ before-hand), you will need to uninstall EQ again and delete the Everquest install folder completely, and then install SoF again from scratch. Otherwise, simply installing SoF to a new/different folder than your current EQ install works just fine.

-Computer reformatted a few months ago. No Eq on it previously.

Dercas
05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey. Just got my forum account set up.

-Trying win98 compatibility results in an Application Error. Winxp sp3 doesnt result in an error but does not help my situation.

-Firewalls - dont use them.

-UAC - annoyed the hell out of me. Turned it off a long time ago.

What I am trying now..
Trying to install on a second PC. That PC sucks but at least it may help me find a fix and eliminate some possibilities.

ciggwin
05-05-2010, 04:53 PM
*edit* nevermind i misread

Xumosa
05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
You said you remotely restarted the router, but if possible, it would be good if you could get the owner to power it off completely as well as their modem, power them back on (unplug and plug back in). The problem is that sometimes certain routers and modems can get some weird routing or port issues if left on for long periods of time and a power cycle can normally fix it if that is the problem. But, depending on the model of the router, it may happen again, in which case, I would suggest either removing all unrequired port forwards, or even better would be to restore the router defaults by holding down the reset button for like 15 seconds and setting the router back up again. This used to be a common issue for older linksys routers (like before Cisco bought them).

Other than port issues, client version issues (due to patching or whatever), and IP limiting, there aren't many more possible causes as far as I know for the symptoms you are seeing. Maybe try connecting to PEQ to see if you can connect there at all, so we at least know you are connecting to a perfectly functional server.

pulled this off eqemu forums

Dercas
05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
PC Stats ETC
----------------
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core 2.29 Ghz Processor
8 GB Ram
64Bit Win 7
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
ISP : Comcast Running thru a router (tried dmzing - no luck)

Dercas
05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I think the problem has been solved. Thanks for the help guys! 2 logins which were both successful (atleast to the character screen).

Ok...so maybe it was bad that I havent updated my Routers Firmware in 8 years... :p (thats what solved it)

Xumosa
05-05-2010, 05:32 PM
lol, well gratz ^^