PDA

View Full Version : Installing tonight.. help with class decision please!

Noblesquire
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok gang! I got my EQ Titanium in the mail today and will do the work of installing shortly...I havent played EQ for over 5 years (Except I did play some of the 14 day free trial that they are offering right now and its been a blast) I have agonized over what class to play... Back when I played, I started as a Ranger, but when the Beastlord came available, I went with this and never looked back.

So here is my thinking... I want to be able to get groups AND solo... My choices that I am thinking of are either:

1) Monk
2) Necro or
3) Ranger.

I am wondering... are any of these classes overplayed in p1999? I dont want to, for instance, roll a Monk only to find that 50% of the classes on the server are Monks!!!

But anyway, which of these classes would you say are a good mix of being able to get groups on this server and also be able to solo well... (I have a job that gives me lots of free time to play, but I have to afk alot when I am at work so I have to be able to solo during this time)

Anyway, Thanks very much for your help... its been since 2005 that I last logged on and I look forward to hanging out with all of you... Its going to be great to be around a bunch of people who are just as captivated by this game as I was for so long back in the day!

Thanks,
JJ

Lol, this is awesome! Btw, I will be donating soon to help keep p1999 online! Thanks to whomever started this whole thing!!!

Ok here I go to do my install, I hope I am able to do this as painless and quickly as possible!

Zasc
04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Out of that bunch, necro is really the only one that will be able to effectively solo for any decent amount of XP.

If you want to be wanted for groups tanks are your best option by an extremely large margin.

Everyone says it, but play what you think will be fun. Every class is able to find groups, some just find it more difficult.

Solo .... Mage, Necro, Druid & Shaman are good picks.

Groups (from most wanted to least wanted) ... Tanks -> Cleric -> Melee DPS -> Other healers -> Enchanters -> Spell caster dps.

Thats just my opinion of course.

choklo
04-27-2010, 07:48 PM
I played back in 1999 for over 2 years and started p1999 about a months ago. It's been great and addicting as ever. The gm's are very good. I played an ogre sk then but have been playing a necro and a mage now.

To answer your question: necros, mages, and druids seem to solo the best. The mage is most over-powered in classic, but weakens in kunark and beyond. All three classes are wanted in groups, I don't think any classes are unwanted. I'm sure enchanters can charm solo and shaman can solo some as well. I just don't think it's quite as easy or efficient generally. Chanters and shaman area very much wanted in groups. I guess monks can solo some, but I don't see alot of it. I have no idea about rangers soloing, but I don't think it's very effective in classic. Melee is very much wanted in classic and there is a shortage in general. They can't solo though.

Check out the poll on the site. It gives the breakdown of classes from a week ago or so.

In response the above chart: I wouldn't put mages or necros last. Their pets give constant dps and don't need to be healed. Wizards are lower on the dps list at this point, but get alot better in kunark. Alot of people know that mages are over powered and want them in groups. Necros have good dps and don't need any healing usually. Necros are also very valuable when fighting undead, especially places like unrest.

Skope
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I've soloed from lvl 1 to 50 with my necro and it's been a breeze. Unfortunately it's also one of the most popular classes here along with mages and druids. Monks of classic are completely different than monks of kunark, offering less DPS and certainly not as capable in soloing. since you do tend to afk a lot i would actually recommend a wizard :P there's not many wizards out there and going afk means you can spend that time medding. Hope this helps

Noblesquire
04-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I've soloed from lvl 1 to 50 with my necro and it's been a breeze. Unfortunately it's also one of the most popular classes here along with mages and druids. Monks of classic are completely different than monks of kunark, offering less DPS and certainly not as capable in soloing. since you do tend to afk a lot i would actually recommend a wizard :P there's not many wizards out there and going afk means you can spend that time medding. Hope this helps

Actually, thats not a bad idea... hmmmm.... brain gears cranking and sparking a little right now as I am working on the install lol... got two computers running so I can go back and forth... fun fun!

Tallenn
04-27-2010, 09:13 PM
multi-boxing is not allowed on the server.

Noblesquire
04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
multi-boxing is not allowed on the server.

No, sorry miscommunication... What I mean by having two computers running is that I am installing the game on one computer and reading the "getting started" forums on another... I dont plan to do any multi boxing... no worries there.... I am not co-ordianted enough for that lol...

Sorry for the mix up...

JayDee
04-27-2010, 10:04 PM
If you want to be wanted for groups tanks are your best option by an extremely large margin.

I don't agree with this

girth
04-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Ya people only want geared tanks at this point since there are quite a few twinks around.

Roll what you want to play, cause it is no easy task to get to 50, and you will playing your guy A LOT.

P.S. Monks are cool but definitely have some issues, they aren't as good as they were in Live, not sure if they have some avoidance issues or what it is but I had to stop playing mine and its my favorite class. =(

Pet classes may be a tad bit stronger than they were on Live, and offer the solo option which prevents you sitting around for hours LFG which can happen some days.