PDA

View Full Version : I think Verizon is gonna be pissed at me...

ShadowWulf
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q3zhS.png

HTC Thunderbolt (4G) running custom AOSP rom gingerbread and clocked to 1.4ghz if anybody cares. Those who know me know I like to tinker and experiment with android devices. This is the result of one month as it shows, a month that's still not out as im currently downloading the EQMac client at another 1.9gb as I type this.

Ive been experimenting using the tethered TB as my only connection for my whole house this month. Thats 5 PC's, 1 Mac, 3 tablets and the XMBC server behind the TV. Average download in Los Angeles had been decent at around 15-20mbs down / 9-15mbs up depending on network condition and time of day. By comparison my roadrunner cable connection was almost maxed at 10mbs and I never really saw speed that high for my money anyways.

Unlimited grandfathered account also, 5 lines and ive been a customer for almost 20 years so I doubt they will say fuck all to me about the data use. If they do, hey im an IT guy and I use my phone for work related tasks!

Flunklesnarkin
02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Oh damn lol.. i'm sure they got their lawyers working on a reason to terminate you account

nice way to use all that data over the phone heh.

Harrison
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q3zhS.png

HTC Thunderbolt (4G) running custom AOSP rom gingerbread and clocked to 1.4ghz if anybody cares. Those who know me know I like to tinker and experiment with android devices. This is the result of one month as it shows, a month that's still not out as im currently downloading the EQMac client at another 1.9gb as I type this.

Ive been experimenting using the tethered TB as my only connection for my whole house this month. Thats 5 PC's, 1 Mac, 3 tablets and the XMBC server behind the TV. Average download in Los Angeles had been decent at around 15-20mbs down / 9-15mbs up depending on network condition and time of day. By comparison my roadrunner cable connection was almost maxed at 10mbs and I never really saw speed that high for my money anyways.

Unlimited grandfathered account also, 5 lines and ive been a customer for almost 20 years so I doubt they will say fuck all to me about the data use. If they do, hey im an IT guy and I use my phone for work related tasks!

I have one of those old grandfathered unlimited accounts and what they will do is enact a new plan that if you use a certain amount of bandwidth they will drop your pipe down to something painfully slow, yet still unlimited.

Virgin Mobile did this. $25/month unlimited (old old plan) and now if I use too much they will drop my bandwidth to something super shitty.

ShadowWulf
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Ill let you know when the bill arrives. No angry TXT messages from them yet so that's well and good. I was going to go in and possibly swap the TB to the Nexus also next week, give the TB to the wife and the son gets her Dinc2 if he behaves. I wonder if they'll say anything when I try and upgrade?

Irony: Ive used 30 minutes of talk time all month. I don't use my phones as phones anymore...even when I do its VoIP...

Harrison
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm still impressed by that, though. That is a lot of bandwidth.

Knuckle
02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
16gb...or 160gb? fucking division by 10,000.

Klendathu
02-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Props man. You better believe that they are prolly looking for ANY reason to cut into your plan. So don't be late on your payment!

Feminem
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
o.o

Naukan and I sometimes have to resort to his android as internets in our area are often torn down by drunken redneck teens, and not often reported (so long as the cable is up, they just don't notice).

I might be (definitely am) simple in the head, but how can I get that tethered connection to branch onto both our PC's at once? We still use our USB to tether, like a couple of hairy knuckled sub-humans. I am impressed and seek your sage advice.

ShadowWulf
02-22-2012, 07:25 PM
16gb...or 160gb? fucking division by 10,000.

161 Gb but its higher now, another 4-5 gb this morning.

ShadowWulf
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I might be (definitely am) simple in the head, but how can I get that tethered connection to branch onto both our PC's at once? We still use our USB to tether, like a couple of hairy knuckled sub-humans. I am impressed and seek your sage advice.

Ill go into my setup in more detail a bit later tonight after I get home and provide some advice to those wishing to bust the Verizon bank also.