PDA

View Full Version : Bought an 89 supra turbo. Racing?

chtulu
02-18-2012, 02:47 AM
I bought this car to work on and to ultimately start racing on the local tracks. Anyone here a car enthusiast or racer? Anyone know what the brackets are for racing and what my car would fall under? What would I be competing against? Does it go by liters, horsepower, or anything like that? Or by year/makes/models?

Also, from what I'm reading, replacing the turbo with a twin (small/large) seems to be the way to go for high end, but I might just replace it with a larger turbo for a cheaper increase in power. Also, it seems that replacing the exhaust system is also a priority in regards to anything with a turbo. Other than these two, does anyone have advice on what would be slightly cheaper performance boosting upgrades? (the exhaust and turbo mods would be a few grand, so i'd like someone cheaper to throw on top for a slight increase).

I already have the cold air intake, and will be throwing in a stage 1 clutch (maybe centerforce?)

Reikerx
02-18-2012, 02:49 AM
i'd like someone cheaper to throw on top for a slight increase

Kinda like Fez, I'm not sure what backwater country you're from, but modifying vehicles with people is illegal in the United States.

chtulu
02-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Well there goes my dream >_<

adam9242
02-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Just to let you know the fast supras where the 1992 on models, particularly with the 2jz-gte vin. To make your model fast you'll need to lots of engine work, just bolting on a giant turbo will likely result in blown engine.

Within99
02-18-2012, 03:53 AM
Put a lightweight flywheel in it, I also suggest a stage 3 clutch.
CAI and exhaust, is a must the car has to breathe.
Rebuilding the engine would greatly benefit your performance, and prevent it from blowing up as long as you don't redline it all the time.
you can go with lowering the car for better aero.
wheels and tires can also increase performance due to grip, a softer tire preferred,
Maybe Falken..
and if you increase the HP too much you have to get stronger axles.

CAI + Exhaust
Lightweight flywheel + Clutch
Wheels + Tires
Lowering Springs

I have a 1991 CRX, with CAI + High flow Muffler - Cat, JDM short shift kit, Wheels + Tires
Stage 3 clutch + 9lbs. Flywheel. the clutch and flywheel alone make it more fun and acceleration is insane. Removed the A/C for +2hp and removed it and other stuff for a weight reduction of about 110lbs.

I haven't ran it quarter-mile because it has 234k on original engine and it needs to be rebuilt. Keep in mind the lighter flywheel will make it harder to drive and it get worse gas milage on the freeway.

Estrang
02-18-2012, 03:55 AM
i get all my automotive advice from p99 forums

Knuckle
02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
me too Estrang

Darwoth
02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
most important thing you will need is a giant airplane wing bolted to the back, a ridiculous fartcan "muffler" and lots of stickers advertising expensive parts you do not actually have, decals with "racing" and "performance" on them somewhere are obviously the most desireable.

Motec
02-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Lol at the lightweight flywheel advice.

Back to engineering school.

Unless you're changing gears faster than the factory flywheel allows the engine to decelerate; OR you are running antilag all the time on iconel housings/shafts and turbines there is no benefit.

At every point in time except for a down hill low gear corner exit I would want a heavier flywheel. Uphill exits, braking, resistance to lockup, getting off the line etc are all a matter for big heavy flywheels.

Never have I met someone not involved in non sealed road rally events that can provide me proof against the clock of faster anything with a lighter rotating mass. Just quicker free revving which makes most cars a dog to drive.

Within99
02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Well anyway, I put a light flywheel in my car and I love it, its annoying to drive if you drive in town a lot, but it is also very fun and increases Acceleration.

I say this from experience; I drove my car for a year before I put the flywheel in it, and I drove my car for a year after I put the flywheel in it everyday to this day.

Motec
02-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Things revving rfaster feels faster. It is not.

chtulu
02-20-2012, 01:00 AM
from what i've read, lighter flywheel = quicker shifting/acceleration and heavier = better for initial jump from a stop.

Within99
02-20-2012, 02:30 AM
He could also go as simple as upgrading the fuel delivery, ecu and all that.
There is plenty to do to a car for performance that no matter what way you go you'll have a difference. Just make sure you do it right the first time, don't upgrade if your going to replace it later with something better. For instance the Stage 1 clutch your talking about, might as well go for something that can handle higher HP, otherwise its a waste of cash. Another example is your CAI (Cold Air Intake) get a filter that is high performance compared to a no-name Ebay filter. you''l just end up wanting the high end and replacing the crap filter.

Dravingar
02-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Fucking Darworth beat me to everything I was gonna say except the most important part which is the photo shoot where you pay a local stripper to wear a bikini and pose next to your car somewhere cool.

Reikerx
02-20-2012, 03:20 AM
Hey guys, I play Forza too!

Droxx
02-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Hey guys, I play Forza too!

lol noob everyone knows forza for is the new one, not forza too.

chtulu
02-20-2012, 04:19 AM
you guys are dicks, but I love you all. From what i've read, stage 1,2,3 mods are usually mean nothing when mentioned in the kits. the stages represent the level of modification done to the vehicle.

And i could post a picture, but it should be easy to "google" 89 supra. I have the very uncommon "white" package supra with the targa top and is a turbo.

chtulu
02-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Also, I might go for just a stage 2 disk with a heavier aluminum or light steel (i want it to be about 15-20lbs, definitely not as heavy as the stock, I don't need that much weight to get the car going from a stop) with spring activate pads (4 probably).

Within99
02-20-2012, 07:24 PM
I am a fan of Imports, I also love our domestics. I hope you have fun modding your vehicle, I know I did. Are you installing all this by yourself or with a friend? Putting in the wrench work is ten times more satisfying, and half of the fun! Doing the research on your car has its entertaining aspects as well. Good luck bro!!

Knuckle
02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah I'm curious if this is a DIY? Getting a Z car myself in the near future, saw a pretty sweet DIY vortech supercharger kit.... >.>

Within99
02-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Ooh, Superchargers, om nom nom.
I personally don't know, but the "kits" usually come with everything needed to add-on/convert stuffs, but asking a mechanic friend is always a safe bet. get info. then proceed. GL.

Within99
02-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Things revving rfaster feels faster. It is not.

With the lighter flywheel the engine revs faster because it has less weight to spin, thus if the car is revving faster its going to go faster. So less effort for the engine, doesn't have to work as hard, so you get more power out of the engine. Flywheels don't give you horsepower but it acts as a potential free gain of power.

Within99
02-22-2012, 04:31 PM
So Motec how long have YOU been turning wrenches? post me certifications.

chtulu
02-23-2012, 02:37 AM
He's just a mad bro driving his momma's plymout van.

Right now it has a terrible leak with oil and I can't seem to find where it comes from because it only leaks when there is a load on the engine. Trying to find someone with a ramp so I can get under it after riding it tough a few miles.

chtulu
07-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Update: $15k later, the motor will be done being machined, tranny will be done being built and all accessories and smaller parts are bought. July 22nd I have a Dyno schedule and getting the Vi-pec standalone installed. Anyone else into cars, and in Washington state?

Gareth
07-04-2013, 01:14 AM
Looks like a nice sleeper if thats got a stock 89 frame still.

chtulu
07-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Get on my level, suckas!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.482030138546069.1073741833.339073142841770&type=1

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1069934_482039955211754_1683893473_n.jpg

trukk
07-18-2013, 02:52 PM
If you really want to race that thing: ChumpCar.

-Chris

chtulu
07-18-2013, 03:14 PM
what does that even mean?

trukk
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
what does that even mean?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chumpcar

I did a 14 hour race at Daytona (yes that Daytona) over memorial day.

-Chris

Rogean
07-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Let's see some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

chtulu
07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
as much fun as that looks, I am about 30 times over budget to qualify for that race.

chtulu
07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Let's see some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

You betcha! july 29th is the dyno date at drift office here in washington state.

trukk
07-18-2013, 05:17 PM
as much fun as that looks, I am about 30 times over budget to qualify for that race.

You'd be surprised. Many gen II supras run. The $500 thing has no real meaning in the real world. You just have to prove that you could buy a busted up barely running rusted out version of your car somewhere in North America for $500.

Anyway best of luck with your build. If you really want to race, come check out chump.

Here is a vid of a whipeout in front of my car at Daytona (me Driving):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnwLIceKJWI

-Chris

Bundie
07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
---

Pullyn
07-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Should have tossed the 7mgte in the dumpster. Throw in a 5.3 lsx, stall, th400, big shot of nitrous, and some decent tires. Mad fast for a reasonable price.

chtulu
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Should have tossed the 7mgte in the dumpster. Throw in a 5.3 lsx, stall, th400, big shot of nitrous, and some decent tires. Mad fast for a reasonable price.

Ya, but then it wouldn't be a real supra. I'm a big fan of the 80's models and sporting any real horse power over 600 on the 7mgte is rare because everyone goes for the 1j or 2j because that's easier and parts are more accessible. I guess I just want to be special haha.

citizen1080
07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Sell it and buy a hayabusa...so much fun. $14k for a machine that will absolutely rape anything short of super cars. 100+ mph in first gear...with 5 more to play with.

Sold it after i maxed it out twice at 190mph and before I died =/

chtulu
07-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Sell it and buy a hayabusa...so much fun. $14k for a machine that will absolutely rape anything short of super cars. 100+ mph in first gear...with 5 more to play with.

Sold it after i maxed it out twice at 190mph and before I died =/

Not a fan of bikes. Cant drive them in the rain, way more dangerous, not as comfortable. The supra you can haul ass in style and in comfort.

Pullyn
07-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Ya, but then it wouldn't be a real supra. I'm a big fan of the 80's models and sporting any real horse power over 600 on the 7mgte is rare because everyone goes for the 1j or 2j because that's easier and parts are more accessible. I guess I just want to be special haha.

Most people don't fuck with the 7mgte because they have a tendency to blow head gaskets due to a manufacturing flaw iirc. Although im sure that if you replace all the internals, mill the head and block nice and even and use a good head gasket that would sort out a lot of those issues. What exactly are your goals? 10 second quarter with a 150 trap? Lol.

chtulu
07-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Most people don't fuck with the 7mgte because they have a tendency to blow head gaskets due to a manufacturing flaw iirc. Although im sure that if you replace all the internals, mill the head and block nice and even and use a good head gasket that would sort out a lot of those issues. What exactly are your goals? 10 second quarter with a 150 trap? Lol.

Ya, it was an easy fix for the 7mgte to just deck the head and slap on a metal headgasket and torque it to 90lbs. After that there are no head issues.

here is what i've bought so farhttp://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p760/Michael_Hamlin/mvpreceipt3_zps10690401.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Hamlin/media/mvpreceipt3_zps10690401.jpg.html)

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p760/Michael_Hamlin/mvpreceipt1_zpsddb32274.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Hamlin/media/mvpreceipt1_zpsddb32274.jpg.html)

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p760/Michael_Hamlin/driftmotionreceipt_zpse7b5f357.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Hamlin/media/driftmotionreceipt_zpse7b5f357.jpg.html)

just some of the stuff i'm putting in the car. on top of a big t4 turbo.

Pullyn
07-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Looks like you will be good to make 600+ if you so desire. Post dyno sheets when its all said and done. My car is actually off getting tined right now. Hoping to run a 11.99 or faster on the stock 235 tire more than hitting any certain number on the dyno though.

Krazed
07-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Get on my level, suckas!

Deal.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/pc_krazed/Craigslist/fordgtblock.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/pc_krazed/Craigslist/image311.jpg

chtulu
07-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Proof it's yours sir? What size turbo is that btw? whats the cubic inches on that bad mama jama?

Krazed
07-20-2013, 11:47 PM
It's a 330 ci "Standard" Ford GT Motor. It's an upgrade from the 5.4 that comes in the lightning due to its forged H-Beam rods, stronger crank, and 4 valve heads.

Nice low compression (ish) and can handle (so far) 26psi.

oh and the turbo is a PT4788 , good for 1000+HP ..I didn't push it past 650 at the wheels as I wasn't done tuning it yet because......I sold it last january (2012) due to ex-wife coming back to sue for custody of my son.

Gave up the truck to keep the boy!

Outside of build pics and such, no.. no way to prove it since it's gone now.

chtulu
07-23-2013, 08:55 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/22015_10151501548487407_675799552_n.jpg

Its coming along nicely! valve cover, intake powdered and colored, next is exhaust and throttle body.

Wutang
10-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Just some food for thought, I just got into the Modding business, I own an 8th gen Civic SI (much fun :D). So far I only have a CAI in there, but that alone makes the car sound like a mustang GT with cams in it in the cold weather when She's runnin' in her element. Anyways here are some good things to upgrade

First you probably want to start with upgrading I / H / E (Intake Headers Exhaust) to let your car breathe better, stock air boxes, and exhaust systems starve your car for air, and the 'exhaling' of exhaust etc. I'm not too familiar with turbos, have a little more experience with Superchargers.. but I'm sure theres some form of intake on the turbo... the bigger the Intake tube the better. As for Exhaust, you can get the big ol' hollowed out can, which is great for your car, but a lot of times that ends up being illegal. As for my car one of the best exhausts is actually street legal. Headers are useful, but not always needed as much as everything else a lot of times cars come with beefy enough headers to hold you off until your pushin serious HP. Research is your best friend here :D Also the actual intake manifold can increase your performance a lot by also increasing airflow, bored out intake manifolds are the usual choice.

As for the Supercharger vs. Turbo argument Superchargers start booosting immediately, they are attached to your belt so as soon as you hit that accelerator you are going to be pushing boost. Great for off the line (I prefer a supercharger over a turbo), and any time you are going to be doing mountain driving, or anything with a lot of cornering superchargers are your best bet as they once again start boosting as soon as you step on teh gas. They are great high end as well, but as for turbo you are going to push more high end. The thing with turbos is they have a turbo lag, turbo works off your exhaust and recycles it into your engine, thus it has to wait for exhaust to be made. From what I have heard once you hit a certain level of torque, there is no longer turbo lag, and you start boosting immediately.

Next you want to go for Suspension and Tune. Tune is a huge thing on your car, and from that alone you can get a huge performance leap. As for my car you can drop the VTEC kick in area (which you want to put where your torque curve intersects your HP curve) also you can greatly increase your lower end power where a lot of times your car is shooting fuel economy rather than power. Tune is huge.

Suspension is a massive upgrade that a lot of people don't think would do too much. The other day I was driving, and a little bit more modded out Civic pulled up next to me, and took of. He hit a corner, and it literally looked like a bucking bronco, if you have ever seen those baby car ride things you pass at toys r us and what not where the car chassis hovers like a foot above the base, thats almost exactly what it looked like lol. Suspension first off will make your car hook infinitely better, your front end wont lift up when you accelerate, which is insanely good. It also improves your aerodynamics by lowering you closer to the ground. Improves handling via lowering center of gravity. Makes your car sit in the turn better due to tighter suspension. Suspension is huge. Look for Coilovers.

After that you probably want to start into the engine, Since you are looking to push heavy boost, as others have said, the higher boost you push the harder you run on the engine, you are forcing air to compress, and go into your engine. Once you hit a certain amount of boost you are going to need forged internals ect. You are probably going to want bigger Fuel Injectors as well as a toon once you grab a bigger turbo or switch to twin turbo. You basically want to retune after every upgrade except stuff like suspension etc.

Once you hit this point your old stock clutch really is'nt capable of handling the level of horsepower you now have, and if you dont replace it with a staged clutch soon, well you will have to xD. Like someone said earlier you probably want to go with a Stage 3 Clutch if you are going to do what you are saying you are going to do. Also at a point your stock transmission will begin to give out, so once again if you don't upgrade at a ceratin point, your going to have to xD.

Another big upgrade is your throttle body, Bored out throttle bodies allow way more flow of gas into your engine, which tends to dump your fuel economy, but will increase your power for sure, seeing as your not going for fuel economy that doesnt matter much xD.

Another thing people like to do is remove the Cat-back, and the resonator from their exhaust system, which causes you to have a stinky ride, and your car will sometimes belch out a cloud of smoke lol, but it increases exhaust output, thus allowing greater intake, etc.

You'd also be surprised how much upgrades like Tires, Spark plugs, Valve Adjustments, and even normal tune ups like an allignment, or a Fuel System cleaning help. I got new tires, and my control arms readjusted. My car feels brand new, I love it! Also I use Lucasoil Injector Cleaner / Lube with every fill up, the stuff is great. It keeps your car internally running clean. Slotted brakes are great if you are planning to do anything more then just drag, or if you are gonna track your car, you need these once you hit a certain horsepower, otherwise your gonna have some bright red brakes lol. Lightweight strong rims can also increase performance, as well as other things like weight reduction, spoilers etc. Also tuning over to E-85, or tuning for race gas can help as well.

As far as pushing the limits of horsepower I dont have much info on that Idk strap a massive turbo to a built engine, and then put a rocket ontop of the car :D. Good Luck modding if you have any other questions let me know!