PDA

View Full Version : A font discussion

Mcbard
02-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Does anyone know the name of the font used during classic EverQuest, and if it's not common how I would go about obtaining it? Click this to see what I'm talking about: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26197

Assuming it is completely impossible to get ahold of the classic font, what would be the best font for readability? I'm assuming a standard sans-serif such as Helvetica would probably rock just as it does IRL while some are obviously complete shit.

I would like to figure this out bros, where are the EverQuest font experts?!

Edit: Also, as I poke around I'm noticing that certain fonts just don't show regardless (wingdings I'm looking at you) and when that happens it seems to default to something that looks a lot like Verdana. It could be Verdana for all I know, how would I find/change the default game font? Any idea why it does that? Does the client have a restriction of which fonts are acceptable somewhere either client side or serverside?

Tanagor
02-14-2012, 08:48 AM
The classic font looks like either 8pt Arial or MS Sans Serif.

The important difference between the classic client and Titanium is that the classic client didn't have anti-aliasing for text (also known as ClearType in Windows). I'm not sure that there's any way to turn off ClearType within the Titanium client, so it might not be possible to get the "true" classic look any more.

druidWTT
02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I vote we change the font to Comic Sans.

Mcbard
02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Hmm.. if the classic font was Arial, then why are names so much thicker on the titanium client with Arial then they were during classic? The strokes seemed so thin in those screenshots compared to the current ones. :(

Joyelle
02-14-2012, 06:37 PM
bold vs regular?

mtb tripper
06-16-2013, 12:09 PM
somebody should figure this out i reckon

Morlaeth
06-16-2013, 12:46 PM
God I love the selfie camera in the old loot window.

maximum
06-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Default Arial font is the worst for visibility. For an example, see the difference between capital I and lowercase l. Sans serif fonts just blow for word clarity.

I use Verdana... it's a compromise and still looks Classic-like.

Swish
06-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I don't know what's wrong with it, you guys need to chillax.

- Iegolas