PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new player

bloodfrost
04-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey P99. Been reading about the creation and life of the server for a long time and just a few days ago able to finally have net and create a character.
Loving it so far and everyone I've run into has been more then kind to new players with information and some of the peculiarities of the server lol. Now to the meat of the question , since I did main as a warrior during beta - through - eventual retirement I decided to start over as a caster and see how the other side of eq life was.

When I was doing a brief check on gear for casters as what I remember being for "lowbie's" back in the day the few I could remember were all off lvl 35-50 spawns and nothing really in the 1-30 range. Granted as I said I was a warrior so I was more used to remembering melee drops then casters. Any suggestions on gearing for a fresh , poor , lowbie with no friends , connections , or guild as of yet? Managed to get to lvl 8 in a CB group other day ,and through hard grinding still at 30pp after spells and a few backpacks.

Any suggestions for the new mage would be deeply appreciated. So far just using summoned dagger and the few cloth drops off the orcs. Thanks and again thx for the great server and all the fun nostalgia so far :).

mixxit
04-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the server! Level 19 mage here and still mostly cloth! I did have a guy run by with a keeper robe which was pretty cool :-) Hope you enjoy your stay

bloodfrost
04-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Am so far for sure. Met some nice one's so far and loving being a mage. Using fire pet for now though always open to suggestions on technique's and whatnot.

Lonedrahon25
04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
If ur soloing, which as a mage you pretty much can do all the way to 50 IMO. Keep using the fire pet, the DS on the pet just tears anything down.

nalkin
04-24-2010, 05:09 PM
As a mage you will be very gear independent. My suggestion would be to not really worry about gear and just keep gaining levels where you see fit. Use fire pet for easy/broken camps, and earth pet with a DS to break camps or for harder mobs. Save up as much money as you can and buy whatever you want on auction. Robe of oracle, stein of moggok, and sacrifical dagger are some items you may want to save up for.

But yeah, gear on a mage makes very little difference. I still had some cloth pieces in my upper 40s.

Dalem
04-25-2010, 12:05 AM
in cb go to the pits group kill the taskmaster loot his +2 ac earring give it to a female highelf slave and she will give you a note to give to niola she will give you a gossamer robe 8 ac and white all ive found so far myself

bloodfrost
04-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Thx again for all the advice. Got the earring the other day but a friendly person pointed to the wrong npc and I got the wrong note :(. So going to try again today lol.