PDA

View Full Version : Play SWTOR? Have FPS issues? HERE!

Diggles
01-30-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/p38lx/official_tip_on_vastly_improving_your_framerate/

This really works. I'm pumpin 60 frames out EVERYWHERE now.

Nedala
01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
thanks for this, fixed some lag for my guildmates.

Killua
01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Might have helped a little bit for me, Ilum with 60+ players running around was still really laggy. Hopefully they bring a patch that makes the game use the newer files, since I assume they're more efficient.

Rogean
01-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Don't think DX10 is compatible with Windows XP, so if they upgraded they would lose support for that OS.

Anyways, I think I've always had DX9, because I hear that steam always installs it by default, and I have steam on both pc and laptop.

ShadowWulf
02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Really? With even shitty WalMart PCs coming pre installed with 4-6 GB of ram and most gamers running a minimum of 8GB or so, does this really even matter? Its a pretty senseless argument.

Not really; and Win7 does have better memory management than XP (I don't say uses less, I say it handles it better)

ShadowWulf
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
how does computer work

Im a district tech smart guy, and on the consumer/real world angle you still have no argument besides a decade old stale joke.

Gwence
02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
only time I ever had a drop in fps was on a taxi ride in coruscant from senate to galatic market.. the taxi rides through this plum of smoke that apparently is very particle heavy

also more games should use dx11, this is 2012 damnit!

Gwence
02-01-2012, 12:55 PM
your argument is that because win7 uses more resources it is not as good as win xp?

I think you should put together another of those excellent excel graphs distinguishing features and compatability between the 2..

Aprio
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
<div style='width:650px;font-size: 12px;'><embed src="http://cdn2.themis-media.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.7.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.themis-media.com/videos/config/5323-7bf191c469e88e7fd0d24f7a5df0fe0f.js%3Fplayer_versi on%3D2.5%26embed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="391" wmode="opaque"></embed><div><a href='http://www.escapistmagazine.com'>The Escapist</a> : <a href='http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation'>Zero Punctuation</a> : <a href='/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5323-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic'><i>Star Wars: The Old Republic</i></a></div></div>

Diggles
02-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Aint my fault he picked the worst class to only play the prologue with. The story makes much more sense around the end of chapter 1.

(and you do get a hot princess that you get to boink)

FoxxHound
02-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Aint my fault he picked the worst class to only play the prologue with. The story makes much more sense around the end of chapter 1.

(and you do get a hot princess that you get to boink)

Even if you are female? :D

Diggles
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Even if you are female? :D

same gender relationships arent in yet (i want to scissor my padawan)

Diggles
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
if you're a female smuggler you can boink a farmboy or a wookiee.

ShadowWulf
02-01-2012, 08:52 PM
as a gamer, yes, i want a barebones ass OS desktop.

thats why I play 99% of games on XFCE

Your colorful chart up top needs a reference to back it up, otherwise im assuming its pulled from Google image search randomly. Bring a proper argument to the table and we will talk, otherwise its just trolling.

As for your XFCE comment I assume you're running via WINE for non-native Linux apps (AKA everything, nearly, and yes I triple boot Win7/OSx/Kubuntu, I use it also) so you're adding even more overhead to the apps/games you're running via wine, with the expected memory and stability issues inherent in running via a compatibility layer. This reduces your performance in almost all instances except the most perfectly supported games on the optimal chipsets with proper drivers installed (Not an easy task, drivers in Linux...4-5 years ago id rather have a root canal than deal with ATI driver issues).

Im trying to understand your argument but there doesn't seem to be one in the slightest beyond desiring a bare bones desktop, which is commendable, but does not inherently grant one gaming prowess or performance in non-native applications. As a guy who spent to much time making EQ/P99 run on his Android phones I can understand experimenting but not the lack of honesty in regards to why or the results of experimentation in real world usage.

ShadowWulf
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't remember where I got those images some nerd did benchmarks. It's not exactly revelation information that Win7 uses more memory than Winxp.

I get wayyy better performance using XFCE even with compatibilty layer than any game I've tried on windows 7, primarily because the bloat is so awful. I can't even run just IM+Chrome on win7 without it taking 20-30 seconds to send a message and chrome go "not responding" for a straight minute every page load at times. I'm not even exaggerating, it gets pretty bad, it's like it doesn't know how to thread properly or something, or theyre all taken up by stupid win7 background processes even with gamebooster shutting half of them off. That's just 1 aspect, everything about it induces hair pulling rage

Win XP is the only tolerable "modern" OS by microsoft, hands down. I'd use win2k if it was 64 bit and had modern game support

terrible OS is terrible

I think you need to learn "how does computer work" because if youre having chrome crashes or freezes like you state, and if you claim to be running a game like say Skyrim via WINE faster than in Windows you my friend have some serious issues with either your hardware or more likely your perception and sensory facilities.

Or maybe you're running a lower end or 5+ year old rig where having less than 1gb of ram is really an issue for you in which case, sure, i can see how you might prefer XP over Win7 assuming its a Athlon XP3200 dual core with a gig of ram. But if that's the case nothing would run realistically under WINE either due to higher memory and CPU requirements.

One advantage of Linux is the risk of infection from malware/scareware is far lower for the novice computer user who isnt accustomed to proper PC maintenance or usage. I find properly configured it makes a great elderly or disabled persons daily driven computer assuming their needs are light or simple.

In short sir, you're a poor troll and claiming to use XFCE then tossing out a "Nerd" comment makes it even more laughable.

EDIT: Just noticed your comment about Gamebooster.....HAHAHA case closed.

ShadowWulf
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Indefensible argument

Im done, you have no clue what you're talking about and yet you scream your ignorance from the highest mountain tops.

Have fun!

Diggles
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I know how computer work.

i love you patriot

Diggles
02-03-2012, 12:09 AM
IF LINUX IS SO GOOD WHY DOES IT HAVE TO EMULATE WINDOWS TO PLAY GAMES HUH

Diggles
02-03-2012, 01:24 AM
wine can't run BF3 or SWTOR so it's dum imo

Diggles
02-03-2012, 01:54 AM
my video card also isnt supported so i have to like run it in safe mode or it never launches

Diggles
02-03-2012, 02:00 AM
saving this cause it mite werk http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-270.41.06-driver.html

Diggles
02-03-2012, 02:51 AM
okay now it wont even start in safe mode.

Knuckle
02-03-2012, 03:26 AM
god damn shut the fuck up you fucking nerds jesus christ ur skins so pale a ****** slice butter with ur skin and toast thatshit with jelly

Aprio
02-03-2012, 07:21 AM
god damn shut the fuck up you fucking nerds jesus christ ur skins so pale a n****r slice butter with ur skin and toast thatshit with jelly

Reported for racism, getting fed up with this now.