PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Invisibility on giants

Skaff
04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Hello,

I did a quick scan of the forums and I really found nothing on this specific issue. But one thing I noticed was that invisibility worked 100% on sand giants in the oasis. From my previous understanding of the live server, giants from the old world (ice/fire/sand/hill) all saw though invisibility. Though it was only in Kunark when invisibility started to work on giants (only Kunark giants though). It is also worth mentioning that I have only seen sand giants till now and only have tested it against them.

nilbog
04-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Easy to fix.

Can anyone corroborate this?

Droxx
04-22-2010, 06:41 PM
His info is correct. All old world giants saw invis.

Aprio
04-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Agreed

Zordana
04-22-2010, 06:46 PM
agreed! i remember it like this too

Tallenn
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I actually remember it differently. I don't remember any giants in old world seeing through invis. Specs yes, but they are undead.

On live, they do not see invis currently- I checked both Rathe mtns HGs and Ro SG Elites. I don't know if that helps, but there it is.

Skaff
04-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Interesting how it is not like that on live now. All of my original claims really are based off memory. I just remember playing my monk in the beginning stages of Kunark and hunting at the giant castle within the frontier mountains and being surprised as hell that invisibility actually worked on them. I attributed that experience to previous encounters with giants in general.

I've also tried to dig up some history and any relevant information to the topic but have come up empty handed

dali_lb
04-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Pretty sure regular Giants never saw thru Invis in classic. I have run past many SG's, HG's and Ice giants at perma at entrance in my game time. It's another matter IN perma,since the Diplomat and the caster ones DO see thru it, so if any of those are up your invis will fall.

Deathrydar
04-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I do not remember giants seeing thru invis. I can remember many a corpse run thru the Oasis and not worrying about anything but undead because I had invis casted on me.

Appaullo
04-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I distinctly remember ALL original Everquest giants seeing through invis. Always, everytime. Thats how I remember it.

Taluvill
04-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I Think they saw through invis. Long time ago, but that does ring a bell.

I just steered way clear of them invis or not = P

guineapig
04-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Well the real question is when was it changed? Before or after Kunark was released?
And if it was after, did the Kunark giants also see invis?

To partially answer my own question, Giants in the Frontier Mountains usually saw through invis according to a post made in May of 2002:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=83

Not exactly the best source and doesn't necessarily pertain to current giants but I haven't searched that much yet.

postmoderntease0
04-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I know for an absolute fact that old world hill and sand giants saw through invis well after Kunark was released. Forest giants et al. in Kunark were not able to see through invis, but that didn't change the giants in the old world. I cannot remember if the Ice giants could but i want to say they couldn't. I believe removal old world giants' ability to see through invis may have changed after Luclin or at least well after Velious' release, because I can remember Kael giants not seeing through camo on my druid, but I still had to be extremely careful in Rathe mountains and the Ro area when I was farming platinum. Honestly, it makes sense... they don't need to see you because they can smell you, fee fie foe fum....

guineapig
04-26-2010, 01:34 AM
I checked using the way back machine going to beastiary by zone in Rathe Mountains and there is not a simgle person that mentions them seeing invis. This of course does not prove anything in and of itself but the posts are going back to classic era so I'm surprised that I couldn't find anything about it.

Skaff
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
I am curious to when the changes took place as well. Just speculating I would think it happened during Kunark or Velious because both of them had added new forms of giants to the game. Those giants might have been intended to not see through invis but still inherited some form of "giant class" that the old world giants inherited from as well. Any changes made to that parent class would intentionality change anything below it... Then again, this is all thinking about it in programming terms and is still speculation :). I did read though some old patch notes and never saw any publicly announced thing as well.

FatMagic
04-26-2010, 02:19 PM
I do not remember them seeing invis at all... i was sure I ran around SG's in Oasis while invised without getting whacked. But That was 11 years ago.

Omnimorph
04-26-2010, 02:29 PM
If i remember rightly for kunark giants, none saw through invis with the exception of the highest level one (mountain giant craig?) or w/e. I think they saw through invis when i was in the fortress there.

Tallenn
04-26-2010, 06:50 PM
The way I remember it (and again, this is just memory, so I absolutely could be wrong), is that prior to Kunark, aside from a very few exceptions, it was only undead that saw through invis. In fact, for almost everything, you could count on undead mobs seeing through invis every time, but not anything else, and IVU always worked on them.

Then when Kunark was released, it threw that paradigm off. All kinds of non-undead mob could see through invis, and some undead mobs were actually affected by it. In fact, some of the forest giants (not sure exactly, but I think it was just random) could see through invis, but the old world giants were still blind to it. Lots of other Kunark mobs were like that, too: most of them were blind to invis, but randomly, you would run across one or two that could see you.

postmoderntease0
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
The way I remember it (and again, this is just memory, so I absolutely could be wrong), is that prior to Kunark, aside from a very few exceptions, it was only undead that saw through invis. In fact, for almost everything, you could count on undead mobs seeing through invis every time, but not anything else, and IVU always worked on them.

Then when Kunark was released, it threw that paradigm off. All kinds of non-undead mob could see through invis, and some undead mobs were actually affected by it. In fact, some of the forest giants (not sure exactly, but I think it was just random) could see through invis, but the old world giants were still blind to it. Lots of other Kunark mobs were like that, too: most of them were blind to invis, but randomly, you would run across one or two that could see you.

This.

dali_lb
04-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Yes. Believe it was changed in Kunark, as alot of game mechanism's changed.

Prior to Kunark, Invis worked on almost everything but undead with a few exceptions

The people that hink otherwise just have bad memories, or propably forgot that places like Oasis is full with Undead wich autoagroes and will depop invis if you run close to them, wich could make people think that the closeby SG saw thru your invis, but it was most likely a mummy or the hate mob of all casters -- a Drybone Skeleton :)

jettoki
04-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Hill Giants, Sand Giants, and Ice Giants all saw through invis in classic. As a Wizard, I was usually invisible while medding or running through zones, and I spent a good ten levels in Rathe Mountains. Giants seeing invis was the reason I never used auto-run in Oasis or Rathe.

Then there were the two Ice Giants guarding the entrance to Permafrost. I remember getting into Permafrost the front way was always scary, because invis didn't protect you from them. You had to run right down the center and pray neither aggro'd.

The crazy thing about Kunark was the Forest Giants didn't see through invis. It allowed me to run around in their forts with impunity. But yeah, tons of stuff in Kunark saw through invis - it didn't change any of the old world mobs, though.