PDA

View Full Version : weird graphics issue

Mordachai
04-21-2010, 11:29 PM
I searched but didn't find anything...

About 3 or 4 different times lately i get this glitch or something where if i turn a certain way the whole world disappears and all I can see is the sky, as if I were under the world but if i keep turning eventually everything goes back to normal. It started in crushbone, and just happened in unrest, but once it starts it follows me from zone to zone.

has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

doacleric
04-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I believe this is known as the dreaded "north bug" or something like that. You can do a search in google. Its a client bug and nothing we can do about it. All you can do is log out and in again to fix it.

Mordachai
04-22-2010, 12:19 AM
at least it's an easy fix if nothing else, doesn't happen very often and as long as it's not a symptom of some issue then it's meh!

thanks for the reply!

XegonyForever
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
On the live servers, one potential cause of this bug manifesting is when you're in a certain zone with a particular memory usage setting, on a particular hardware configuration that happens to be predisposed to it, and it will spontaneously begin. For me (and I know others), Field of Scale was one such zone that always stood out as causing this bug to rear its ugly head. Other people have gotten the bug in other places...I guess murphy's law sought out their individual weaknesses. :P

In a patch a couple months back, they claimed to have fixed a memory leak and tweaked the way memory usage works, and propitiously enough, I haven't encountered the bug since then.

I know it's not possible to select different memory usage settings with the titanium client, but I figured I might as well throw this out there, for informational purposes. A reboot has always fixed the north bug for me in the past, and it always seemed to be localized to particular zones, so at a minimum, I don't think you have to worry about the bug infecting too many of your other zones.

guineapig
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
This used to happen on live too all the time so in essence this is a "classic bug".

As stated earlier, don't worry about it the issue is not with your PC.

ribaldron
05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
I have been experiencing this problem - vaguely started to remember it from Live.

I have a COMPLETELY different computer - not only new, but completely different parts etc.

Searched for the issue and here it was..

It's not *always* north or west that causes this issue, but strangely, it usually is.

I noticed that it gets much worse when there are more players around, and /hidecorpse helped *A LOT* - as there were likely over 100 corpses in the zone. :P

Apparently, using WinEQ 2 will help fix this issue as it supposedly fixes a lot of weird issues with EQ.

enzie
11-13-2010, 07:09 AM
sorry to necro this thread, but this has been happening to me again lately. It went away for like two weeks, but then started again last two days. I've noticed it seems to be when you face a direction that has more architecture or land to draw also. It originally happened in WC only, but now i've gotten it in lavastorm (when facing southern directions, with 90% of the zone in front of me, after zoning out of solusek) or in CT outside throne room, facing the throne room mostly.

WinEQ 2 sounds like the only thing that might fix this? I've tried playing around with clipping plane distances, but that hasn't seemed to help.

enzie
11-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Problem was happening a lot in CT last night, even after restarting EQ completely. So, I finally downloaded wineq2, haven't played using it yet though.
Every other thing I find on google, suggests this has been fixed in live eq sometime in the last few years. Currently, I can work around the bug, as even when it happens, it's in zones I'm exping in with a group, so I can move/turn to get rid of it long enough to finish the fight.
However, I'm concerned with this popping up in raid zones, when a delay of 1-2 seconds in doing what I need to do could cause issues for the whole raid. I was curious if the developers of this server, or anyone really, are aware that it has been fixed in live EQ sometime in the last few years, and if there's any way to implement that fix somehow? As an above poster stated, it was supposedly memory usage related, so if is possibly a setting/work around I can implement on my end that might help, I'd be glad to hear it.
If my last two days in CT are any example (where it's happened much more than ever), it'd be annoying as hell to play like that in any zone I'm staying in for a considerable amount of time.