PDA

View Full Version : P1999 on a Mac?

ssyrax
04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I thought I had seen some threads about this but the search function isn't coming up with anything.

I have a friend who wants to play but only has a mac available at the moment, any one know if a way to play EQ on a mac without creating a windows partition? or is it not possible on our server? Thanks!

doacleric
04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
You can probably use one of the windows emulators, such as parallels and what not, but performance might be poor, or it might not work at all. But for the best experience, you need to use bootcamp and install windows.

grindle
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
couldn't you just use the Mac EQ client (http://eqmac.station.sony.com/)and change the files just like we do for the titanium client ? Now bear in mind i am a complete Mac newbie (know nothing about them at all lol) so this may not be possible

Rogean
04-22-2010, 11:48 AM
No

mgellan
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
EQ Titanium works great on WINE, which works on a Mac...

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?p=43668#post43668

Regards,
Mg

Webwolf
04-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Macs are for women, homos and hippies.

Excision Rottun
04-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Macs are for women, homos and hippies.

http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/snow-revenge.jpg

Shannacore
04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/snow-revenge.jpg

That's cute

Excision Rottun
04-22-2010, 06:12 PM
That's cute

Saw a chick Hip-Hop DJ with this on her laptop last night, illatight.

grindle
04-23-2010, 04:52 PM
No So any reason why or just a plain no ? I'm sorry to say it that way but that was totally not helpful or constructive in any way.

If this criticism gets me in some kind of trouble i understand. This is your sandbox after all and we just get to play in it ;)

doacleric
04-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I think his "No" was referring to using the Mac version of EQ to play. To which he would be correct. For the same reason that you could never play on the "normal" windows versions of the servers, you cannot use it to play on Project 1999.

Nedala
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Make a windows parititon with bootcamp.

ssyrax
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Friend got it installed is attempting to use WINE to make it run on the Mac... The only problem he is having now is he can't figure out how to bypass the patch server, since he can't create a shortcut and change the path to add the 'patchme' any ideas?

mnstrisland
04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
So just to clear this up ssyrax, there are two options for running EQ on a mac.

As long as you have an intel mac, you can partition your drive and put Windows XP/Vista/7 on it and install from there. If you only want to use Windows to play EQ you can use a stripped down version to save space.

The other option is to use an emulator to run a version of Windows boxed in OSX. I'm currently running Windows 7 in Parallels and then EQ within that. There are a few extra adjustments (dealing with screen resolution is difficult as it references the OSX resolution against Parallels Windows screen resolution and then EQ) you need to make but it should work.

The only requirement for the second option is a newer computer as it it much more demanding on the computer to box like that.

If you have any questions or need any help hit me up.

mgellan
04-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Friend got it installed is attempting to use WINE to make it run on the Mac... The only problem he is having now is he can't figure out how to bypass the patch server, since he can't create a shortcut and change the path to add the 'patchme' any ideas?

I'm not at my Linux machine atm but I wrote a little shell script on Linux to run each EQ instance (I three box on my little eqemu server) with a different WINEPREFIX and do some other funky stuff but the core command should be something like:

cd /path/to/eq
wine "eqgame.exe patchme"

I have a script but I don't need to, I could put it in a Gnome icon as well, dunno how that works on a Mac. I can post my full script when I get home if that'd help.

Regards,
Mg

mgellan
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
By the way to use EQ with Wine you need to make a minor patch - I downloaded source and built a custom version of Wine for EQ since this change can break other apps ...

(from the Everquest section of WineHQ)

Add this line:
pCaps->MaxVertexBlendMatrices=0x4;

In file:
(your wine source directory)/dlls/d3d9/directx.c

At function:
IDirect3DDevice9Impl_GetDeviceCaps(LPDIRECT3DDEVIC E9 iface, D3DCAPS9* pCaps)

Before returning (return hrc;), line 176 (as of 0.9.55)

Build wine as usual.

If anyone is really interested I can post a HOWTO on getting EQ up in LINUX.

Regards,
Mg

Tork
09-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Without sounding like an idiot (not possible...) - how do you (re)build wine after this change?

Itchybottom
09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
By the way to use EQ with Wine you need to make a minor patch - I downloaded source and built a custom version of Wine for EQ since this change can break other apps ...

(from the Everquest section of WineHQ)

Add this line:
pCaps->MaxVertexBlendMatrices=0x4;

In file:
(your wine source directory)/dlls/d3d9/directx.c

At function:
IDirect3DDevice9Impl_GetDeviceCaps(LPDIRECT3DDEVIC E9 iface, D3DCAPS9* pCaps)

Before returning (return hrc;), line 176 (as of 0.9.55)

Build wine as usual.

If anyone is really interested I can post a HOWTO on getting EQ up in LINUX.

Regards,
Mg

DarwinePorts Wine already has this patched. As does CrossOver Games for Mac

With that said, I actually play EverQuest in VirtualBox on my 2009 MacBook Pro 13". 1280x800 lags a little, but it is still playable. I'd imagine any recent Mac with a dedicated video card would do fine that way.