PDA

View Full Version : Just starting - hopefully.

Andaryel De'Vir
01-10-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm one of those Oldbies who played classic Everquest as their very first MMORPG - I don't know if it was just the charm of 'your first MMORPG' or the failure of modern online games, recently I think back to Everquest. A lot. Just yesterday, I posted a huge rant on the forums of a game magazine, hoping they would pick the topic up for a report.

But really, MMORPGs these days just... are boring. I've managed to play SWTOR for a whopping 10 days. Why does everything have to be so fast-paced, trivial, short-lived - and consist mostly of solo play despite the 'multiplayer' in the name? Why do I have to mash buttons with people I barely have time to talk to? My biggest pet peeve is the increasingly trivial item rewards. New items rain down on me every couple minutes and I don't need any of them. I out-level my gear within 24 hours and modern MMOs are so trivial that I can solo 5 monsters in 'green' gear anyway. How I miss the adrenaline rush and the euphoria after winning a flowing black silk sash...

I'm a pretty casual player, I never could get into raiding much back in my ole Everquest days, but still... the corpse run adventures back then, often just helping others out with buffs and resurrections was so fun. The thrill and suspense of death actually mattering, and great rewards coming at great risk. Please, no more WoW clones, I'm so fed up.

Anyway, here I am, just getting set up... hopefully. I'm no tech genius, but if I'm stuck with the setup I'll just come bug you guys via forum.

One question: How far is the Project 1999 advanced in terms of expansions, are AA's already in? Even though I disliked many of the developments in later EQ expansions and quit over Planes of Power, AA's to me were the greatest MMORPG development ever. So much more fun and motivating than the fixed, capped amount of talent points we are being spoon-fed by modern games these days.

DoucLangur
01-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Hey and welcome, lone survivor of House De'Vir of Menzoberranzan ;)

We are currently playing with the Kunark expansion out, epics have just gone live and thus PoFear and PoHate (the old one!) have been revamped to include minibosses and miniboss loot.

As for AAs, I'll have to dissapoint you: It is currently not foreseen to progress this server beyond Velious. Anything else you will see in discussions on the forums, I guess.

Kind regards

Slozem

Andaryel De'Vir
01-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Ah... somehow I thought AA's had gone in sooner. Cool beans, though, the first 2 expansions were the best. I liked the bazaar and AA's, but apart from that, Luclin was the beginning of the end for me.

falkun
01-10-2012, 09:17 AM
I too would like to see AAs implemented on this server; Rangers really improve with EQ+AM3, bards regain pulling from monks with FM, etc. However, Rogean has stated that the likelihood of AAs is grim:

Some of us are looking forward to adding some custom content after velious, yet keeping in line with the feel of classic everquest.

I don't think AA's will ever be introduced.. I've ripped out so much of it from the code already lol.

Also, not all AAs were good, imho. Manaburn, as one example, made wizard kill squads possible for any content limited by the old 32kHP limit of bosses, which is most of Classic + Kunark.

Rasah
01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
AA's would signal the demise of this server. As it stands right now, we have a limited population. When max level is reached, several people fire up new alts and do it again. This keeps the lower level zones populated. So if new people join, they have people to group with.

If you put in AA's, then the hamster wheel never stops turning, and the only zones with people in them are the 55+ zones for people to grind out endless AA's. Yes, AA's would give people more things to do, but eventually it would give them less people to do it with.

Caridry
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
AA's would signal the demise of this server. As it stands right now, we have a limited population. When max level is reached, several people fire up new alts and do it again. This keeps the lower level zones populated. So if new people join, they have people to group with.

If you put in AA's, then the hamster wheel never stops turning, and the only zones with people in them are the 55+ zones for people to grind out endless AA's. Yes, AA's would give people more things to do, but eventually it would give them less people to do it with.

absolutely this... its what killed EQ imo

Vondra
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Agree, I've posted similar posts to this in the past.

There'd be a core group of people fine with continuing to grind AAs but I doubt it'd be very appealing to new players when they go to Oasis or something in prime time and see 3 people there.