PDA

View Full Version : Leveling and other starting questions.

thrawnseg
11-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I started a SK last night, but I don't ever remember it taking 3 hours to get to level 3. Is this leveling speed the same to 50? It seems like it's almost double what it used to be IMO.

Also, I've read melee is terrible to play due to some wrong calculations - is this still true and am I screwed trying to solo?

Lastly, do SK's have lifetaps on here? I can't find if they do or don't anywhere, but I noticed the pets were blue and not green, so it's somewhat changed.

Thanks!

FatMagic
11-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Yah leveling is WAY slow on Classic - plus SKs & Rangers have a 40% penalty to experience (since they are hybrids). I assume this is the same for Paladins as well.

Melee is apparently borked - although I don't know what exactly the problem is. Either way, Nilbog said they are working on a solution for it.

And SK's should have exactly the spells they had during classic. Here is a list:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010531131658/eq.castersrealm.com/spells/spells.asp?Class=SK

FatMagic
11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
P.s. Here is the thread on the details about the Melee problems. Check it out and put your input in so it can get fixed!

http://project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269

thrawnseg
11-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I heard someone say the taunt button doesn't work - is this correct? Also, is there a breakdown of classes somewhere? I'm torn between a SK and a Wizard, but with leveling so slow, I'm not sure which to play at the moment.

Villert
11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I heard someone say the taunt button doesn't work - is this correct? Also, is there a breakdown of classes somewhere? I'm torn between a SK and a Wizard, but with leveling so slow, I'm not sure which to play at the moment.

I'm not entirely sure whether taunt is broken or not. From what I understand taunt simply puts you 1 point of hate over the highest person on the list. It is up to the taunter at that point to build his/her hate up.

In all honesty, spamming taunt is the worst thing one can do - to taunt most effectively, taunt should only be used when aggro is lost, and only then. A problem may lay in classic weapons being much lower dps than we remember, combined with varying resist rates on this server.

All in all, I think taunt probably works, it just seems to be affected by multiple factors.

--

As for break down of the classes, probably eq.castersrealm or something is your best bet for a good class overview. Use the waybackmachine (google it) for best results on this server.

Yoite
11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
since its slow pace play what you will enjoy the most.

thrawnseg
11-05-2009, 10:58 AM
As for break down of the classes, probably eq.castersrealm or something is your best bet for a good class overview. Use the waybackmachine (google it) for best results on this server.

I was asking about the breakdown on this server actually... I know there are Druids a plenty...but what about other classes?

Villert
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I was asking about the breakdown on this server actually... I know there are Druids a plenty...but what about other classes?

Ohh, my bad. Melees seem to be in short supply (bards especially). I think there are quite a few magicians/necros/chanters around.

Really, just play whatever you want I think - no big deal.

andymc1980
11-05-2009, 06:40 PM
although melee's are somewhat in a 'bad spot' on here, levelling is almost identical to the initial release of EQ back in 99. tbh, this suits me fine unlike typical eq and wow servers that are out there atm where u hand an item in and gain 5 levels lol. Salute the good old days !

thrawnseg
11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Does anyone have a handy chart or link to the EXP penalties for races/classes?

I found this: Halflings get a 5% bonus, Ogres 15% penalty, Trolls and Iksar 20% penalty; Barbarians might have a 5% penalty. Rogues and Warriors have a 5% bonus.

But is that correct? I thought Evil's got a neg no matter what, therefore a Troll SK would have a large penalty?

FatMagic
11-06-2009, 09:31 AM
There used to be a chart somewhere... I can't find it. I wonder if the Devs could post the experience requirements for each race/class.

stormlord
11-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I played a ranger when EQ launched. I had 14 days on my account at level 13. I did a lot of running around though. A real slacker, but leveling took a while. Back then it didn't matter so much because everything was new. I spent a lot of time just learning the zones and seeing what was out there. If i had already known, I would have been a much higher level.

President
11-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm only to level 20, but I swear levels 1-6 were the worst. 3 & 4 pissed me off especially. Once you start getting more skills/grouping/dungeons it gets a lot better. I don't know about "faster" but better.

Gaaaaavin
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I honestly got lucky on my low levels with my rogue. Got into an orc hill group at lvl 4 and haven't soloed since. Crushbone was a blessing to those early "hell levels."

robrosoft
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm only to level 20, but I swear levels 1-6 were the worst. 3 & 4 pissed me off especially. Once you start getting more skills/grouping/dungeons it gets a lot better. I don't know about "faster" but better.

That is encouraging. I made a druid in gfay and lvl 3 and now 4 is not fun. Killing lvl 1/2 mobs gives almost no exp and attempting to solo a lvl 5 mob hasn't worked for me. I need to get some orc group action going tonight.

Am I just noobing it up or does gfay not have any lvl 3/4 solo mobs that you can pick up?

entilza
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
The lower levels are really bad it gets better don't worry.

I hear a lot of complaints especially level 3-4. I think its just that because there are many level 1-2 mobs around that don't give much experience.

Cribanox
11-12-2009, 12:35 AM
level 5-7 is the freakin worst. Almost nothing in EC was blue, mostly everything was red, or green. Luckily I made it into a few Crushbone groups on another continent and got up to 7. Right now I'm level 8, and if I cant get into an orc group, I dont really get anywhere. Oh and I'm a ranger too so soloing is rough.

stormlord
11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
level 5-7 is the freakin worst. Almost nothing in EC was blue, mostly everything was red, or green. Luckily I made it into a few Crushbone groups on another continent and got up to 7. Right now I'm level 8, and if I cant get into an orc group, I dont really get anywhere. Oh and I'm a ranger too so soloing is rough.

Better than being a warrior. Soon enough you'll be getting your utility spells and loving it. I'm sure you're already enjoying tracking. Tracking is so invaluable in so many ways. Appreciate what you have as a ranger because some people are out in the cold and wet weather without tracking and feeling alone. Rangers, btw, have always been decent at soloing. Tells you how hard classic was for even solo-based classes! The rewards for grouping were so much bigger back then and that's partly why there's so much grief.

Btw, what do you think would be an ideal duo with a ranger? Would you prefer a shaman? A chanter? What? I used to duo with a monk (on my ranger) in 1999 when I was lvl 12-14 in the qeynos sewers :) It was a bit easier back then though. I didn't need to go to EC to buy stuff. People would auction items in qeynos hills and qeynos. I'd pass by people higher level than me and get buffs. It was easier.

If I come up with the courage to buy titanium for a ridiculous amount or taking a risk and getting sof, I'm thinking about a bard.

thrawnseg
11-12-2009, 11:18 AM
If I come up with the courage to buy titanium for a ridiculous amount or taking a risk and getting sof, I'm thinking about a bard.

It's 20-35$ on Ebay. That's not a ridiculous amount.

Morfnblorsh
11-12-2009, 11:24 AM
My girlfriend used to play EQ with me around the time period Titanium was new, so I have a spare legitimate hard-copy laying around.

If anyone's interested, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Blink
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Just claw your way to level 20 then sit in Sol A for a week and you will be 50.

stormlord
11-12-2009, 11:28 PM
It's 20-35$ on Ebay. That's not a ridiculous amount.

Have you seen how many copies are offered? Very few - last i looked (before this post). Yes, one copy had a bid for $20, but I didn't see any others aside from one where hte bid was at $55. And when you're talking about dozens more people, or maybe more, a lot of them are going to be spending more than $50 to get a copy. Almost none of the copies will be new. And doing business on ebay is not always dependable. Anywhere else and you're spending $50+ and some of the copies are much more than that, and there're not very many. I hope the developers can see this as a serious matter and figure out a way to help remove the bugs from sof and to keep their codebase inline with the svn at eqemulator.net.

Example:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=everquest+titanium&_armrs=1&_from=R4&_ipg=

Two are listed there. Bids are at $20 and $38. Two, not 40. Don't treat this like nothing has changed since 2005. Titanium was released in 2005. I got it in 2007, but I failed to request the CD's (i didn't know back then that I'd want to try an eqemu server). Almost all of the retail copies on the popular sites are gone, except on amazon.com.

stormlord
11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Just claw your way to level 20 then sit in Sol A for a week and you will be 50.

You see this comment is just lame. I know that some people will want to do that, but if everyone ends up in sol a and i had to solo in other zones because I wanted a diverse gameplay experience then imho it's broke. If sol a means you shouldn't go elsewhere because it's less efficient than that's just as bad as adding all of the expansions to classic and expecting people to play in classic. If someone can't see that as broke, then they need to wake up. I know that they've already changed some things so that they're not classic, but they changed it to fix it (it was originally broke in classic). This seems to be a similar matter, but things like this are often subjective.

There were some bugs on live progression servers that allowed people to levle up super fast. There was ooc regen too i think. There were other things as well, and the consequences were that it devalued the classic content. This drove people away from it, and is probably one of hte reasons the developers added the next expansion so quickly (just one month). Some people didn't like that. Some people are calling for a time-locked progression server, and I think ti's a great idea. However, it's not perfect. That and if the content is devalued/mudflated too much, that'l ruin it too - which some people overlook.

I doubt you're correct. Levelling up to 50 in a week from level 20 did not happen in 1999 unless you exploited content. Unfortunately, many people did (i remember being shown an exploit in west karana). Some people duped. It really ruined the economy. For me it's all about playing fair and swallowing my pride. It's about exploring. It's about being honest, first. Greedy, second. Friendly, third. I'll never enjoy cheating like some people do, and to this day I don't understand how they have fun doing that. Keep in mind (suggestion) that this was when servers had thousands of players, not a few hundred like we have. That's the real problem that this server has.

I know i've drawn a line in the sand, but at some point we all do. Some people are going to like me for it, some people are not going to. That's life. We cannot hide behind the bushes indeffinitely. The truth gets out.