PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Monk Epic fist graphic does not show

Hokushin
01-07-2012, 04:43 PM
The celestial fists appear to show the shurikens around my fist on my screen, but nobody elses. This has been confirmed in front of 40 people and nobody can see it even with density turned up.. i guess its not a big deal but would be nice :)

Versus
01-07-2012, 04:47 PM
must fix this, bump and grats mang

Hokushin
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
ty :) GL with brother balatin in DL hehe, worst camp of the quest :P 6 min common spawn, turns to a 2 hr rare :P

Autotune
01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
ty :) GL with brother balatin in DL hehe, worst camp of the quest :P 6 min common spawn, turns to a 2 hr rare :P

think nilbog said he fixed it yesterday or last night... can't remember, maybe this morning?

dianamel
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
any confirmation that this will be fixed next patch? Big ego dump for monks! =P

Twoberries
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Heh, I was chiling in RV bank.

Hoshukin and a cleric (can't remember name) stroll in. He asks if I can see the epic effect on his fists. I say "nope, but grats". I felt so bad for him I immediately logged out and got drunk.

Cool story, huh?

Szeth
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm about to make you go drink yourself to death. He failed the first hand in, lost all the items, and had to do it again.

Now how bad do you feel?

Bruman
01-09-2012, 01:24 PM
...which part? You mean like, pipes, headbands, sashes, both robes, the whole shebang?

Rasah
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Grats Hoku!

Twoberries
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm about to make you go drink yourself to death. He failed the first hand in, lost all the items, and had to do it again.

Now how bad do you feel?

WTS: Wu's Quivering Liver.

Quizy
01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
yeah finding this out almost makes you not want to do the quest.. just kidding.. but still.. everyone loves the "epic" look to their character once they get epic.

Rais
01-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Still issues with it!

dianamel
01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
solution for this in next patch?

Cheech
01-20-2012, 11:06 AM
It doesn't show in Dark elf form either on yourself.

dianamel
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
u have to unequip your weapon and reequip it then it shows in de form

Haul
01-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Heh, I was chiling in RV bank.

Hoshukin and a cleric (can't remember name) stroll in. He asks if I can see the epic effect on his fists. I say "nope, but grats". I felt so bad for him I immediately logged out and got drunk.

Cool story, huh?

lol

Jjlent
01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
u need to unequip ur weapon and ur range item then put weapon back in for it to show. i can see my fist bubbles

Szeth
01-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I can see my fist bubbles too, but no one else can

Jjlent
01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
bump, yea the wearer can see but no one else can =(

dianamel
01-30-2012, 01:17 AM
I heard this could be a hard thing to fix. Could be something that never can be fixed.

Bruman
01-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Well that's a shame. Any chance we can get some technical explanation? I find this kind of interesting, given how it's not like it's something the game didn't originally support or some such.

arsenalpow
01-30-2012, 07:09 PM
i'm assuming it has to do with the particle effect linked to something besides the primary/secondary?

let us put our epic in our primary or secondary, problem solved :)

Jjlent
01-30-2012, 08:12 PM
if they can't fix it oh well, at least i can see em =)

Szeth
01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
yea not a big deal imo I dont need other people to know I got the fats so long as I know

Hokushin
01-31-2012, 06:05 PM
yea not a big deal imo I dont need other people to know I got the fats so long as I know

szeth confirmed liar

Versus
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
up

Versus
04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Any progress here?

Versus
04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
up

Tippett
04-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Much more important shit to worry about.

Like mobs on crack 15 rounding and Velious.

Versus
04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I understand this isn't a "high priority" type of thing. It's really inconsequential to me, but just curious what the issue is? Any word from the big guys on this?

Silentone
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
what if i just stand on top of you..and SS so that i can say hey phisting cool grafix on your EPIC DAWG =p

tekniq
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Much more important shit to worry about.

Like mobs on crack 15 rounding and Velious.

any update on this?

I would say this is kind of important imo. The reason epics are epic is because it's a difficult quest, so part of the reward of getting something so difficult is letting other people know you have it =)

Quizy
05-14-2012, 06:58 AM
This should be fixed everyone elses epic is visible except the monks.

Schortt
05-15-2012, 03:37 AM
I want all monk epics to be visible but mine. This is important.

nilbog
07-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Problem : The particle effects aren't visible to other PCs. Several scenarios exist where the player wearing it cannot see particle effects.

-Created a monk character and summoned Celestial Fists (10652)
-Equipped Celestial Fists in hand slot

The graphic will not show up for myself. Equipping and reequipping it does nothing.

-Zone (or camp) for the first time after obtaining the item. Graphic appears for yourself only. Other PCs cannot see it.

-Changing forms does not show graphic. Turning into a dark elf from guise click, I can not see the graphic.

-After equipping the item, unequipping the item and placing it into an inventory slot continues to show particle effects. It isn't equipped, but the particle effects are still visible. Zoning while having it unequipped clears the visibility, and you can no longer see it.

I can not create a single scenario where other PCs will be able to see the fists.

Does anyone else have more information about this?

arsenalpow
07-22-2012, 03:52 PM
it's pretty cut and dry. you can see the graphic on yourself but no one else can see the graphic

would it have something to do with the particle effect emanating from the hand slot in the inventory as opposed to the primary/secondary slot?

maximum
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Problem : The particle effects aren't visible to other PCs. Several scenarios exist where the player wearing it cannot see particle effects.

Why do the other epic weapons show particles?

Writ3r
08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
same problem with bards playing instruments, you can see it on yourself but not others.

Kautin
09-19-2012, 01:10 PM

The graphic will not show up for myself. Equipping and reequipping it does nothing.

-Zone (or camp) for the first time after obtaining the item. Graphic appears for yourself only. Other PCs cannot see it.

-Changing forms does not show graphic. Turning into a dark elf from guise click, I can not see the graphic.

-After equipping the item, unequipping the item and placing it into an inventory slot continues to show particle effects. It isn't equipped, but the particle effects are still visible. Zoning while having it unequipped clears the visibility, and you can no longer see it.

I can not create a single scenario where other PCs will be able to see the fists.

Has anyone looked into this?

Other epics are equipped in either you primary or secondary so those particles might work differently as opposed to equipping an item with particle effects from your Hand slot.

I spent some time checking out other forums and could not come up with anything. Is anyone out there able to troubleshoot this better then the rest of us?!

Emphase
05-04-2013, 02:42 PM
just got my epic and was dissapointed no one else could see it =( thats part of the prestige is being able to show it ofF!

been searching other forums to see if any other servers had this problem/fixed this but no luck yet.

Nitholias01
05-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Been doing a bit of searching and found some material by mister Bodi Kibadachi over at monkly-business.

http://www.castle-grounds.co.uk/eq/monkepicquest.htm

The Particle effect does not show if 2 weapons are wielded, but a 2HB weapon or one 1HB will show the effect in the other hand.

This could mean two things (but, in both cases, the graphic is not bound to the hands slot), depending on your reasoning:

1.) The fists' graphic is bound to primary and secondary slots. If it was a hand slot graphic, the epic particles would show regardless of weapons being wielded. If it was bound to primary and secondary, a 2HB weapon would overwrite the secondary slot graphic.

OR

2.) The fists' graphics are bound to primary and secondary and since you cannot equip a secondary item while wielding a 2hb, the graphic still shows.

Also found some related material on monk epic:

Handing either form of Kaiaren (Mad or True) the Book of the Celestial Fists and the Demon Fangs, results in the Monk Epic, the Gloves called the Celestial Fists being handed over, with the following text.

Kaiaren bows his head and breathes a long sigh as if relived of a great weight. He then looks up at you and says, 'I honestly did not believe you could have defeated Vorash. Even though he sought nothing but war and bloodshed, it is a life nonetheless and we must mourn him. I will sew these fangs into magical fist wraps and they shall be yours. Remember Xenevorash. A purpose can be found for every situation and individual. To achieve perfection is to perceive this truth.'

The experience recieved for finishing this quest was approximatly two and a half blue bubs at level 52.

Shows that, unlike p99, the final hand in can be either sane or mad Kaiaren.

Celestial Fist Amendments by Verant:

September 2000: The Lheao section was not very clear. He said something along the lines of "I need proof you are from Danl and proof of your mastery." but only AFTER you have already given him the note. Telling Lheao that you have the book 'Immortals.' did not trigger him like it should. The proof of Mastery, after a leap of faith from both Derra and Bloodscale, was found to be the RotWF. Kaiaren also says one more line than he used to. A patch added the information we have now.

October: Kaiarens true form was bugged, and turning in the scale from Eejag resulted in xp and the return of the scale. This was able to be done multiple times, and was rumored to have very quickly leveled a Monk from 40 to 60 in this manner. The following are patch messages from the time before the quest was finished.

Due to some difficulties regarding the Epic Quests implemented two patches ago, the epic quests for the Monk, Wizard, and Druid will not be completable until the next patch. While we would like to have implemented updates right away for these issues, we are mid-way in our conversion to support the DirectX changes that have been announced.

We appreciate your patience.

- The EverQuest Team

This was also added in a EQ Forum:

I verified that the Celestial Fist of Earth is spawning on live servers and made sure that part of the quest works. He is and it does. Kaiaren as you all know has been permakilled on live servers due to the Charred Scale exploit, something I should have caught in development and testing should have caught in testing and I apologize for it. He will be back up and fixed after the next patch.

Thanks, Solist

It was (not long) later found that the Earth fist (a sleeping Ogre/Trunt) was indeed in the game, as at this time, Monks did not believe he was.

November: The Quest was completed on Test, due to the fact that Kaiaren was not (and is still not as of early November) back in the game on the live servers. The Haste is Item Haste, and the Robe was not returned, so effectively making most Monks able to do the quest, at a loss Haste wise. Those lucky enough to have CoF or Belt of Tranquility where already at 36% to 40% Haste, and that did not include the 25% Haste of the Robe. Even those with a FBSS (21%) and the robe where at 46% Haste total. Now they have increased the item haste to 40%, but lost the robes effects. This is not of consequence to some, but the Robe was one of our best Chest pieces, and makes the quest seem not too viable in some peoples eyes.

Wakefield, the Monk with the CF's was asked to do some feedback relating to the CF's, and sent a diplomatic email explaining that the Str and Haste where not really on par with an epic weapon, which is more or less what I have said above. He mentioned Att bonuses rather than Str, and perhaps better haste. He then received this email as a reply from Soloist, the Quest writer:

Thanks for the feedback. There are indeed some problems due to code changes that were made regarding the Celestial Fists and they are not currently working as I intended. I won't give you the details on exactly what they are supposed to do but we will have them fixed and working properly before our next patch. I just want to assure everyone in the monk community that they won't be going live the way they are, and that nothing on Test is guaranteed to be the same on live.

Thanks, Solist

Wakefield then replied with this post a few days later:

"I hate to say this, but yeah the fists have been changed... and no I cant tell you how =P. Solist asked me for feedback again and asked if I could keep it secret. Haha, I feel like a dick but I will be keeping this new change secret. Best I can say is.... me like"

"They will increase damage and he asked for some fast feedback before it goes live. I noticed 2 potential problems with the new change and 1 is easily resolvable by us. Emailed him again with some more points only a experienced monk user could give and a coder wouldnt think of, I think its gonna work out. Soon as this is live and yall do the quest I'll join ya all in philosophizing, hehe."

A few days later, someone then cracked the SPDat on test, and noticed that the 40 bns to Str has been changed to Att instead.

The patch on November 15th Changed the CF's permanent effect of 40% Item haste, +12ac and +40str, to what they are now. Before the patch, the CF's also did not change the properties of the HtH of those who wielded them.

June 2001: A patch has resolved some stacking issues --where Haste higher than 40 percent would overwrite Celestial Tranquility, and we would lose the additional 40 attack and 12 AC from the effect. Now the haste is the only part overwritten, and we keep the att and AC.

August 2001: Another patch has resolved more stacking issues with Celestail Tranquility, this time with Call of the Earth, a Ranger 4 point damage sheild and 24 to 26 AC buff.

Some changes that were made up to Post-Velious

Is there a minimum level for the Celestial Fists?

If you are under 53rd level, Lhaeo, when you tell him you will take responsibility, will tell you to hunt beetles or something similar. It has been confirmed that you can hand the items over anyway, and many Monks 50+ even when given that message have the book given to them. It has been confirmed that you will recive the book if you are under 50th (or at least 48th), but your fist change to damage and delay will NOT work until you are 51+.

Taken from FAQs. I don't know if there is a level restriction on when the fists change the monks dam/dly but there it is.

Also for those of you who haven't seen the chart yet:

The Effect Celestial Tranquility is a right clickable 40% Song haste, +12 AC and +53 Att. Its duration is 9 seconds.

They also change the Damage/Delay of both of your fists to 9/16, not including any Haste you may already have.

Haste Item

Haste Total

Damage Delay of Fists

None 0% 9 dmg 16 dly
Right Click Effect of Celestial Fists 40% 9 dmg 13 dly
With right click + FBSS 61% 9 dmg 11 dly
With right click + CoF 76% 9 dmg 10 dly
Max Item + Max Enchanter Haste 85% 9 dmg 9 dly

Sarius
06-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Bump. Any status update from devs on this?

Chloroform
06-11-2013, 01:51 PM
could care less but would like to see cool bubbles ;)

could care less of your opinion.

Let the bubbles flow for all to see!!

Sarius
06-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Agreed. I have serious bard/ranger pixel envy!

Sarius
06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
This is game breaking...

Sarius
06-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Nilbog, just post something to shut me up please!

Sarius
06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Bump, any update Kanras/Nilbog?

diplo
06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
not gonna get fixed bros, give it up!

Sarius
07-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Not a fan of your cynicism, to the top!!

Sarius
07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Page 3 bump

Sarius
07-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Page 4 bump. Just looking for a response from the dev team please

Ele
07-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Its a graphics issue, not a game mechanic, see if the people in technical discussion can figure it out.

Sarius
07-18-2013, 06:32 PM
If I can see it but others cannot I believe it is a game issue, correct?

Ele
07-18-2013, 06:39 PM
If I can see it but others cannot I believe it is a game issue, correct?

I would disagree.

Sarius
07-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Specifics, please! The issue, as I am sure you are aware, is that all players can see the epic on their own character, but nobody else's character.

Sarius
07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Any update from devs or is this a lost cause?

diplo
07-29-2013, 10:36 AM
i believe this is a lost cause. i remember signing the petition to fix this over a year ago.

Sarius
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
There is no such thing as a lost cause! Look at the pally blindness spell =)
I have hope that at least Nilbog or Kanras will make a new appearance in this thread.

Sarius
08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Three cheers for my weekly bump!

Sarius
08-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Bump for moar pixels!

Tasslehofp99
08-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Bump, lol.

Sarius
08-21-2013, 05:20 PM
We want more!

bigsykedaddy
09-30-2013, 01:40 AM
any update? I want ppl to see epic fists and I wanna see other ppls bubbles

roger_that
11-07-2013, 12:57 PM
bump for visibility :(

diplo
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM
GIVE UP!

roger_that
11-07-2013, 05:28 PM
GIVE UP!

Never! I'll donate $100 to the devs if they fix it :D

diplo
11-07-2013, 06:08 PM
it's a client side issue...there is no fix at this moment and it's on the long laundry list of client side issues they will fix someday, maybe.

roger_that
11-14-2013, 12:34 PM
it's a client side issue...there is no fix at this moment and it's on the long laundry list of client side issues they will fix someday, maybe.

Yep, I've read most of the thread. I think we're all hoping the continued voice in this thread pushes this up in priority for the devs.

whitebandit
12-30-2013, 05:35 PM
uh... bump? :-p

Vandy
01-02-2014, 11:23 PM

Did some testing on this on my server. Was myself on 2 account and Telin online. When I first summoned the fists and equipped them I could see them on all account and Telin could also see them. Once I zoned for the first time and then back the particles weps could not be seen by anyone except the Monk who had them on.

unequipped and reequipping did nothing.

Placing a weapon in my hands made the monk epic visible again to everyone.(so this is something that is p99 specific as other account could see the weapon on my server)

On both my server and p99 if you remove the fists from hand slot and place them in bags, the monk particles still show. It will not change until you Equip a 1hand or 2hand weapon or until you zone.

If you zone with a 2 hand weapon equiped(p99 and my server) you lose the particle effect until you requip the weapon, requipping the epic does nothing.

If you equip 2 - 1 handed weps you can not see the effect either

joppykid
01-16-2014, 09:29 PM
any update? I want ppl to see epic fists and I wanna see other ppls bubbles

Sarius
01-29-2014, 09:44 PM
Delay Velious, this is game breaking!

diplo
01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
GIVE IT UP BROS ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Sinestria
01-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Don't give up! If they fixed TT they can fix this!!

Tasslehofp99
02-01-2014, 02:38 AM
rogue epic particle effect is bugged too...on live you could literally see a droplet of poison drip from tip of the dagger. On p99 its there but seems to be falling like 1000 times faster than it should, so what you get is a small blur of pixels that is hardly recognizable as anything more than a blur.

I tried turning fps down but it didn't fix it.

maximum
02-01-2014, 01:57 PM
rogue epic particle effect is bugged too...on live you could literally see a droplet of poison drip from tip of the dagger. On p99 its there but seems to be falling like 1000 times faster than it should, so what you get is a small blur of pixels that is hardly recognizable as anything more than a blur.

I tried turning fps down but it didn't fix it.

Noticed this too. Make a new bug thread and post some old Ragebringer screenshots.

Sallan
07-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Any devs had more luck cracking this?

Zaela
07-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Wow. Really?

Extra-specialness of the hand slot bit aside, the monk epic model is ultimately a weapon graphic like any other, IT159. Should be trivial to force it into the primary and secondary slots in outgoing WearChange and client spawn packets.

The only annoyance is that the EQEmu codebase has too many functions that send WearChange. I'm working under the assumption that only the ones that call GetEquipmentMaterial will matter (added lines in bold, going by the eqemu codebase as it looks right now):

int32 Mob::GetEquipmentMaterial(uint8 material_slot) const
{
const Item_Struct *item;

item = database.GetItem(GetEquipment(material_slot));
if(item != 0)
{
if // for primary and secondary we need the model, not the material
(
material_slot == MaterialPrimary ||
material_slot == MaterialSecondary
)
{
if(strlen(item->IDFile) > 2)
return atoi(&item->IDFile[2]);
else //may as well try this, since were going to 0 anyways
return item->Material;
}
else
{
return item->Material;
}
}
else if ((material_slot == MaterialPrimary || material_slot == MaterialSecondary) && IsClient() && CastToClient()->MonkEpicEquipped())
{
return 159; //monk epic model
}

return 0;
}

Client::FillSpawnStruct doesn't call it just to be annoying, so let's go ahead and replace this part

if ((inst = m_inv[MainPrimary]) && inst->IsType(ItemClassCommon)) {
item = inst->GetItem();
if (strlen(item->IDFile) > 2)
ns->spawn.equipment[MaterialPrimary] = atoi(&item->IDFile[2]);
}
if ((inst = m_inv[MainSecondary]) && inst->IsType(ItemClassCommon)) {
item = inst->GetItem();
if (strlen(item->IDFile) > 2)
ns->spawn.equipment[MaterialSecondary] = atoi(&item->IDFile[2]);
}

with this:

ns->spawn.equipment[MaterialPrimary] = GetEquipmentMaterial(MaterialPrimary);
ns->spawn.equipment[MaterialSecondary] = GetEquipmentMaterial(MaterialSecondary);

New function wherever to save me typing:

bool Client::MonkEpicEquipped() const
{
if (GetClass() == MONK)
{
ItemInst* inst = GetInv().GetItem(MainHands);
if (inst && inst->GetItem()->ID == MONK_EPIC_ITEMID)
return true;
}
return false;
}

Would also need to force a WearChange for the primary and secondary slots when the epic is equipped/unequipped from the hand slot to keep it all synced up. Bottom of Client::SwapItem:

int matslot = SlotConvert2(dst_slot_id);
if (dst_slot_id<22 && matslot != 0) {
SendWearChange(matslot);
}

if ((dst_slot_id == MainHands || src_slot_id == MainHands)
&& (dstitemid == MONK_EPIC_ITEMID || srcitemid == MONK_EPIC_ITEMID))
{
SendWearChange(MaterialPrimary);
SendWearChange(MaterialSecondary);
}

// Step 7: Save change to the database
if (src_slot_id == MainCursor){
std::list<ItemInst*>::const_iterator s=m_inv.cursor_begin(),e=m_inv.cursor_end();
database.SaveCursor(character_id, s, e);
} else
database.SaveInventory(character_id, m_inv.GetItem(src_slot_id), src_slot_id);
if (dst_slot_id == MainCursor) {
std::list<ItemInst*>::const_iterator s=m_inv.cursor_begin(),e=m_inv.cursor_end();
database.SaveCursor(character_id, s, e);
} else
database.SaveInventory(character_id, m_inv.GetItem(dst_slot_id), dst_slot_id);

if(RuleB(QueryServ, PlayerLogMoves)) { QSSwapItemAuditor(move_in, true); } // QS Audit

// Step 8: Re-calc stats
CalcBonuses();
return true;
}

Haven't tested it I guess, but I know that if you shove IT159 onto an actual weapon or just do #wc 7 159 it works fine, same principle here.

Maybe this has already been tried, but I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't work. May need a little finessing to be correct in all circumstances (think the above would show it in secondary when you have a 2H in primary).

tired

Zaela
07-22-2014, 01:27 AM
^ Tested on my own test server. Works in all the general cases I could think of (equipping, unequipping, swapping weapons in while equipped, equipping two weapons and then epic and then unequipping weapons, logging in with epic equipped, logging in without it equipped and equipping it, having the other client log in while monk is already in zone with it equipped, etc).

Works. EZPZ 30 minute fix including testing. Does show bubbles in offhand if you have a 2H equipped but if you don't want that it's a one-line fix.

khanable
07-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Hot damn if this works

Nice

Sallan
07-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the independent research zaela. Hope that does work and gets applied :)

Nirgon
07-22-2014, 09:55 AM
GIVE IT UP BROS ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

u got zaela'd

Man0warr
07-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Having epic show up in offhand while wielding 2h is classic so leave that in :D

Zaela
07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the independent research zaela.

not research, just familiarity with the codebase ;p

the real question in my mind is why no one took a few minutes to knock it out the day it came up, let alone in the last... 2 and a half years? it's a pretty obvious workaround.

low priority i guess. very very low.

Vandy
07-22-2014, 07:08 PM
As something that is purely visual it was really low on the list.

Zaela
07-23-2014, 10:06 AM
it does seem like it would be epically disappointing to have an invisible epic when the fix would be so easy~

fyi to anyone who might put code in: looks like eqemu switched up the inventory defines/enums in just the past few days, so you'll probably want to use SLOT_HANDS instead of MainHands... or just a literal 12 (ugh) like the monk fist damage and delay functions do to check for epic

Vega
07-23-2014, 11:08 AM
As something that is purely visual it was really low on the list.

Vanity items are actually a pretty big part of any MMO experience.

Brocode
07-23-2014, 11:45 AM
like a dream coming true

Zaela
07-23-2014, 08:42 PM

Sounds like SOE messed up one of their old clientside files at some point (as they often did), and/or switched to a partcle system with different timing information and forgot to bring rogue epic up to speed.

The old formats are pretty awful, but I might try to take a look at it... eventually...

Telin
07-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Sounds like SOE messed up one of their old clientside files at some point (as they often did), and/or switched to a partcle system with different timing information and forgot to bring rogue epic up to speed.

The old formats are pretty awful, but I might try to take a look at it... eventually...

Necromancer particles are also wrong,they should radiate as a sphere instead of a circle. It would be an easy fix once located.

Zaela
07-29-2014, 11:18 PM
bump?

at a cursory glance the rogue epic drips seems like a skeletal animation rather than a particle... which is kind of weird. Makes me less interested in trying to look at it. The s3d skeleton/animation format is terrible.

FiZiKaLReFLeX
07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Bump, I'm not going to quote the guy a couple pages back with a fix... But, if the Devs could fix this? I'm working on getting my epic for my monk... and knowing that the awesome particle effects won't show is really pissing me off... Half the fun of getting something cool like that is showing it off and being proud of it. If your epic looks no different than regular items, it's kinda lame.

If that guy posted a fix and it worked on test servers, why not just implement it? And why hasn't any devs responded to this post in over 2 and a half years?

slappytwotoes
08-08-2014, 12:55 AM
Bump for monks everywhere

Gotta show off mah fist bubbles

bigsykedaddy
08-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Bump for monks everywhere

Gotta show off mah fist bubbles

bigsykedaddy
08-10-2014, 01:57 AM
^ Tested on my own test server. Works in all the general cases I could think of (equipping, unequipping, swapping weapons in while equipped, equipping two weapons and then epic and then unequipping weapons, logging in with epic equipped, logging in without it equipped and equipping it, having the other client log in while monk is already in zone with it equipped, etc).

Works. EZPZ 30 minute fix including testing. Does show bubbles in offhand if you have a 2H equipped but if you don't want that it's a one-line fix.

paulgiamatti
08-10-2014, 02:16 AM
C'mon devs, let's get this fixed. See page 8 of this thread. Someone make a thread about the rogue epic too!

And,

Necromancer particles are also wrong,they should radiate as a sphere instead of a circle. It would be an easy fix once located.

Zaela
08-10-2014, 02:25 AM
If we were being really forward thinking (potential future custom content..?) a general system where monks inherit weapon models from their gloves when barehanded (assuming the gloves have a model listed and it isn't IT63 [default baggie-on-the-ground model]) wouldn't be much more complicated. (And would be more satisfying from a programmer's point of view ;p)

Could probably do the same with epic-style barehand damage/delay override, have it take damage and delay from gloves if present rather than being hardcoded. I can't remember if damage and delay values will show up on stat windows for non-weapon-type items, though. Code checking for "is this item a weapon?" may need to be tweaked a bit, too.

Zaela
08-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Someone make a thread about the rogue epic too!

Took another quick look at the rogue epic thing. Turns out it is a particle, but one that is attached to a moving bone, which complicates things a bit.

In my files, one of the fields related to the bone has a value of 33; looking at some other models with skeletons, I'm pretty sure this field sets the number of milliseconds per frame in the animation (33 milliseconds = 30 frames per second). The animation of the bone is only 6 frames long; 0.2 seconds seems a bit brisk.

The particle itself has its own timing values: in my files, the lifetime of the particle is set to 400 milliseconds while the delay between emissions of the particles is 1500 milliseconds.

Changing the milliseconds-per-frame value on the bone to 250 (1500 / 6) seemed promising for a few seconds, but it quickly desynchronized (eventually the bead of poison starts dripping up). Tried a few other values, but didn't get anything that seemed right.

So, I made a very straightforward tool to mess with these three timing values: Rogue Epic Particle Speed Adjuster (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70648819/downloads/Rogue%20Epic%20Particle%20Speed%20Adjuster.7z) (source (https://github.com/Zaela/EQRogueEpicParticleSpeedAdjuster)). If you have a rogue epic, download and unzip that, run it and point it at your EQ folder when prompted. Any changes you make will immediately be saved to the relevant file on disk. If you want to back it up, gequip.s3d is the file that gets changed.

Hopefully with some experimentation someone will be able to come up with satisfactory values. Note that you'll have to log all the way out and close the EQ program after making a change in order to see the difference; the game keeps these files cached after you load in for the first time to speed up reloading.

Furinex
08-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Might I recommend asking Telin, See the thread in the Server Chat Forum for Old School Particle Effects.

slappytwotoes
08-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Bump for great justice!

Sry Nilbog & Co. can't let this die on page 2

JustinWK
09-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Bump - Looking for an update.

Ele
09-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Bump - Looking for an update.

Your update is in another castle.

Nirgon
09-19-2014, 11:41 AM
When I was growing up, I learned:

Use your imagination

Be patient

Might be good advice here

teija
09-30-2014, 03:33 AM
bumpity can anything be done here?

paulgiamatti
10-03-2014, 04:59 PM
I have a dream...

That one day P99 will rise up and live out the true meaning of its epics: "We hold these particles to be self-evident, that all epics are created equal."

I have a dream today!

Byrjun
10-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Be patient

Didn't someone fix this like over a year ago or was that a lie?

paulgiamatti
10-04-2014, 06:23 AM
There's a fix on page 8 of this thread. Seems like it would only take a couple hours to implement and test. Totally worth it!

kanras
10-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Fixed, pending update.

Thanks, Zaela.

Telin
10-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Awesome work! Zaela's tools are amazing and could also help restore the necromancer epic too.

Byrjun
10-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Also Rogue epic.

But I'm happy enough to have Monk epic fixed.

maximum
11-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Currently fixed on Beta Velious! Yay!