PDA

View Full Version : baseball/football worst sports ever?

nalkin
01-06-2012, 02:56 PM
A precise analysis of four football games by "The Wall Street Journal" in 2010 found that the amount of action in a football game was 11 minutes, about the same as baseball.

11 minutes of actual playtime? ROFLMAO. How pathetic is that? In two games that are probably the most nonathletic sports that exist, they only actually play for 11 minutes. So while you are huddled around your tv for a few hours remember how little gametime you are actually watching and unfortunately for you its not a case of quality vs quantity, they are actually the worse quality sports there are. If you want a real quality sport with 60 min of high intensity physical play let me introduce you to hockey.

Sidenote: soccer is gay

Doublestep
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm waiting for America to convert to the South Korean way of life where video game stars are considered celebrities.

Srs Not Ames
01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Nalkin = fat

Shannacore
01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Soccer, football, and baseball are all enjoyable to watch.

Harrison
01-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah, it's unathletic. Anyone can do it, that's why there's millions of professional teams flooded with members.

Hailto
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jnCgD.jpg

Shannacore
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Haha. Hailto wins.

Massive Marc
01-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm waiting for America to convert to the South Korean way of life where video game stars are considered celebrities.

Has already started...

See HotshotGG

purest
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
i think sports are unpopular today because the age old truth is they're really boring to watch, and now they're competing with an endless amount of better entertainment. They need to start hamming it up, like allow smacking the ref, or the ref to break out a fire hose to cool people off, or the coaches to drive a car on the field honking when they're blowing their top

Hailto
01-06-2012, 04:47 PM
i think sports are unpopular today because the age old truth is they're really boring to watch, and now they're competing with an endless amount of better entertainment. They need to start hamming it up, like allow smacking the ref, or the ref to break out a fire hose to cool people off, or the coaches to drive a car on the field honking when they're blowing their top

They have "sports" like that, its called professional wrestling

burkemi5
01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
11 minutes of actual playtime? ROFLMAO. How pathetic is that? In two games that are probably the most nonathletic sports that exist, they only actually play for 11 minutes. So while you are huddled around your tv for a few hours remember how little gametime you are actually watching and unfortunately for you its not a case of quality vs quantity, they are actually the worse quality sports there are. If you want a real quality sport with 60 min of high intensity physical play let me introduce you to hockey.

Sidenote: soccer is gay

yup football sure isn't physical, ask colt mccoy about that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

also, why don't you go tell players like Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, or Darren Sproles that they aren't athletic. Please keep troll threads in RnF.

MrSparkle001
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
11 minutes of actual play and people still get season and career ending injuries. Football is a badass sport.

Hockey is good too. Baseball though is kinda boring for me. It's fun to play but not so fun to watch, which is the opposite of football which is the cause of many personal concussions, intense migraines until I quit (back then a head injury was treated by the coach saying "walk it off". Yep we were idiots 20+ years ago. I had to stop playing entirely) and possible brain damage as a result.

Anquan Boldin knocked out and shattered his sinus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--cSlHsVjk

Joe Theismann. I don't even need to describe it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCXNt4P8Xg. This makes me cringe even now.

Hockey has lots of good hits and pretty intense games that can leave you breathless, but it's just too Canadian to be taken seriously in the US. It's probably my second favorite team sport though.

On a related note (not to the OP or anyone here): I laugh at people who criticize football because pads are worn. People would be killed if they didn't, or else the game would be nowhere near as intense. It's a collision sport, 250lb+ men crashing into each other every single play. Without pads they'd either die or be unable to do it.

Hailto
01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
11 minutes of actual play and people still get season and career ending injuries. Football is a badass sport.

Hockey is good too. Baseball though is kinda boring for me. It's fun to play but not so fun to watch, which is the opposite of football which is the cause of many personal concussions, intense migraines until I quit (back then a head injury was treated by the coach saying "walk it off". Yep we were idiots 20+ years ago. I had to stop playing entirely) and possible brain damage as a result.

Anquan Boldin knocked out and shattered his sinus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--cSlHsVjk

Joe Theismann. I don't even need to describe it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCXNt4P8Xg. This makes me cringe even now.

Hockey has lots of good hits and pretty intense games that can leave you breathless, but it's just too Canadian to be taken seriously in the US. It's probably my second favorite team sport though.

On a related note (not to the OP or anyone here): I laugh at people who criticize football because pads are worn. People would be killed if they didn't, or else the game would be nowhere near as intense. It's a collision sport, 250lb+ men crashing into each other every single play. Without pads they'd either die or be unable to do it.

Worst sports injury ever was when Chuck Malarchuk got his throat cut with a skate, google that video if you want to see some messed up shit, i wont post it here. But yeah, football is the best imo.

Harrison
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I've seen a femur snap in half during football practice in high school. I'd rather have my throat cut than endure that level of pain.

Gwence
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
op needs to put down the crack pipe

just for some perspective

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_season_ticket_waiting_lists

scroll down to the waiting lists for season tickets for different NFL teams, especially Green Bay.

nalkin
01-06-2012, 09:03 PM
op needs to put down the crack pipe

just for some perspective

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_season_ticket_waiting_lists

scroll down to the waiting lists for season tickets for different NFL teams, especially Green Bay.

Uhh... ok football is popular? never said it wasn't. Im saying i don't understand why when there is only 11 minutes of actual play in a game, and to me the play is not even quality. Better than baseball for sure, but if you think 250lb men colliding is athletic, well coo i guess... but there are way more physical sports than football (eg hockey), which actually incorporate alot of skill as well.

Tuko
01-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Football is like a game of physical chess. Hockey is like basketball on ice you just go back and forth back and forth...

I prefer watching Rugby games, it's physical and it doesnt stop for commercial break every 30 seconds.

Doors
01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Baseball is a game of intelligence. If you don't like it, that is because you are stupid.

Football I could go either way on these days. Goodell pussified the league.

Mardur
01-07-2012, 04:07 AM
I agree that football and baseball are pretty boring. I'm not sure why you don't like soccer though, it's really the only sport that's the only combination of "american football-esque" on-the-field strategy and athleticism.

I also really enjoy hockey but I'm not a big enough idiot to hate something just because another country already does.

drive a car on the field honking when they're blowing their top

nalkin
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree that football and baseball are pretty boring. I'm not sure why you don't like soccer though, it's really the only sport that's the only combination of "american football-esque" on-the-field strategy and athleticism.

I also really enjoy hockey but I'm not a big enough idiot to hate something just because another country already does.

Ehh I think soccer could be great actually if there were a few fundamental changes. The game is a bit slow to me, though very exciting when they get in scoring chance. I think maybe if they decreased the field size a bit and made the goal smaller it would make the game more exciting. Also wtf with soccer offsides. The other problem is that the players are so pathetic diving everywhere. I think a variation of soccer could be the great world sport, I realize it already is, but it could be so much better than it is.

Barkingturtle
01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Ehh I think soccer could be great actually if there were a few fundamental changes. The game is a bit slow to me, though very exciting when they get in scoring chance. I think maybe if they decreased the field size a bit and made the goal smaller it would make the game more exciting. Also wtf with soccer offsides. The other problem is that the players are so pathetic diving everywhere. I think a variation of soccer could be the great world sport, I realize it already is, but it could be so much better than it is.

The problem is simple: you have the attention span of a whore in a dick factory.

Honestly though, watching sports just isn't for everyone. Just like computer gaming or midget fisting. Sometimes, people like things you don't, and that's okay, you autistic little scamp, you.

MrSparkle001
01-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Better than baseball for sure, but if you think 250lb men colliding is athletic, well coo i guess... but there are way more physical sports than football (eg hockey), which actually incorporate alot of skill as well.

Hockey is not way more physical than football. Football is as physical as it gets until you get to sports like MMA. Hockey is definitely up there though. There are some really good hits in hockey, but football is two teams crashing into each other every single play, and players constantly get injured. Their brains are rattled so much that the average lifespan of an NFL player is like 50-something years.

Football is physical enough that I don't want my 2 year old nephew playing it. I know what I went through and the head and shoulder injuries I suffered. These days coaches and parents are a lot more aware of head injuries but still, it's a brutal game that can seriously screw you up if not paralyze or kill you. I'd rather him wrestle and do BJJ like I did, where you can satisfy your aggressive urges but not subject yourself to concussions and bone-crunching hits.

Baseball like I said is a lot more fun to play than it is to watch, and it's nowhere near as intellectual as football. Football is incredibly complicated.

Aunt Bedelia
01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Can someone explain why quality is defined by how much running and sweat is involved?

ZEROSUM
01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
professional sports invented by the elite in late 19th/early 20th century to distract the slaves.

why hoop and holler about politics when you can identify with a sports "team" and get release of competitive primal instincts that way?

If we got as riled up about politics as we do sports then maybe we could prevent the scumbags from flushing this country down the toilet

Harrison
01-07-2012, 05:09 PM
rofl keep sipping on that kool aid

ZEROSUM
01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
It's documented fact why dont you try a google search sometime instead of regurgitating your ignorant 1 liners

Harrison
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
It's documented fact why dont you try a google search sometime instead of regurgitating your ignorant 1 liners

Seriously, keep it up. I'll paypal you your next aluminum foil shipment's costs.

Tuko
01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
I thought the slaves invented kappoueira or w/e to intertain themselves.

Tuko
01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Then they pretty much invented rap music, like that tupac shit your boyfriend keeps spamming

purest
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
grab ya glocks when ya see tupac

Kraftwerk
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
The problem isn't sports, the problem is the extremity with which sports are obsessed over in American culture. I like baseball a lot, but I know there are many things more important than basebal and I try to educate myself and stay privy to global and US news as well as enjoy watching my team (Yankees). The problem can really be summed up in the following:

Ask most people in Anerica to name the roster of their favorite sports team, most will be able to on the spot or at least the best players.

Ask those same people to discuss fractional reserve banking and how it impacts all of our lives, most won't know what you're talking about. Ask them about what QE is, how many have taken place and why it directly impacts their real wages and purchasing power, again most won't know what you're talking about and yet it directly impacts them more than anything their team's Quarterback does.

It's an unhealthy obsession with professional sports in America, part of the bigger problem of general apathy towards understanding how the US and global Economy works.

Knuckle
01-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Basketball - the only sport with 60 minutes of action where shit is actually happening.
Sorry Hockey/Soccer = Fail.

FoxxHound
01-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Basketball - the only sport with 60 minutes of action where shit is actually happening.

Pfft.
Hockey is bawse.

Massive Marc
01-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Hockey is very similar to Basketball action wise.

Knuckle
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Pfft.
Hockey is bawse.

Hockey DOES get a big nod over soccer for checking action.
I used to play alot of Hockey back in Chicago, not as nearly exciting to watch as play.

FoxxHound
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Hockey is very similar to Basketball action wise.

I concur... It's one of the few where the action is constant instead of do a small few seconds of play, and break.
Though I like the physical contact in hockey. That, and the fights.

Massive Marc
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I concur... It's one of the few where the action is constant instead of do a small few seconds of play, and break.
Though I like the physical contact in hockey. That, and the fights.

Jim Rome said Americans don't like hockey because they can't keep up with the puck and good play is hard to understand (such as cycling deep and grinding the boards.. etc.. )

My only issue with Basketball, is that the point system seems arbitrary and score baskets feels meaningless.