PDA

View Full Version : A man in China spent $16,000 for a virtual sword

ZEROSUM
01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
A man in China spent $16,000 for a virtual sword in the soon-to-be-released video game Age of Wulin, a fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG).

http://techland.time.com/2011/12/28/man-in-china-spends-16000-on-virtual-sword-for-video-game/

Most people wouldn’t blow $16,000 on a real antique sword from ancient China, let alone a virtual sword for a video game set in ancient China.

Not only did a man cough up enough cash for a mid-sized sedan, he did it for a game that’s not even out yet: Age of Wulin, soon to be released in Mainland China by Snail Games. The game is a fantasy MMORPG, or massively multiplayer online role-playing game, not unlike the immensely popular World of Warcraft.

(MORE: 5 Game Stories to Watch in 2012)

Buying virtual gold and other items in MMORPGs is common. A study released earlier this year valued this virtual economy at $3 billion, with one in four MMORPG gamers spending around $369 each year on virtual swag.

Of course, $369 is pretty far from $16,000 (at least it it’ll be the only sword of its kind available in the game). According to U.K.-based Daily Mail, another gamer spent $1,600 for the “Hook of Departure,” while someone else dished out $2,500 for the “Lordly Spear Sheath.”

I hope for their sake that Age of Wulin turns out to be a decent game. Imagine spending $16,000 on The Matrix Online.

Fourthmeal
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Too bad he didn't spend that money on boxes and boxes of taco twelve-packs. He could have fed so many starving children...

MrSparkle001
01-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Biggest case of future buyer's remorse I've ever heard.

Doublestep
01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
if it were starwars he'd be banned for exploiting the market

PVPBetaChamps
01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
a chinaman, u mean op?

SyanideGas
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Nerd alert

Flunklesnarkin
01-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Right like Chinese are the most addicted to video games lol

this dude spent spent 100K on a virtual space station in Entropia Universe a few years ago.. here is a link to the article.. its on wikipedia also http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4421496.stm

I also seen some epic pvp action on that game too.. since its a legitimate (meaning accepted by Terms of Service) RMT game.. players buy and sell virtual stuff for real money in game.. however since its also ffa pvp.. it means people can gank the shit out of you too..

one dude got ganked for like 160k a bit back.. big pay day for his looters.. (yes you can cash out game currency for $$$)

just sayin' you all need to start putting money up on pvp red >_>

I'm sure there are worse video game decisions out there.. but entropia is the one i remember when i looked into it a few years ago.

Reynard_CT
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Entropia is one of the lamest so-called virtual universes in the world. I'd rather be some randomly butchered iteration of Aragorn, a virtual vampire, or furry in Second Life than participate in that p.o.s. Their "Planet Partners" are disengaging from them en masse, planets are generally empty or near-to empty, and average non-insider players stand no chance of a return on their money.

Jan Welter Timkrans, in whichever executive position he is in now, has bankrupted several companies before this and it is only by bleeding people dry through promises of big payouts that Entropia is still around. This is the same company which bought a castle and painted it yellow a few years back, losing much money in their upside-down investment.

That being said, Entropia can be fun if you play small by investing whatever you would in a normal subscription-based game. It may last you a week if you get lucky. Just don't expect to make the sorts of money you see in their press releases: those amounts are reserved for those associated with MindArk directly or indirectly. For their stellar history, see things such as the Entropia ATM Card, Banks in Entropia, and much more.

Tuko
01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
What's 16k to a billionaire... The price of Qatar throws 20gs monthly on elite players to play with him, he doesnt get anything in return than the enjoyment of the game. When you're rich money means nothing

Awwalike
01-07-2012, 09:32 PM
whoa der

Tuko
01-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Prince*

The Neck Beard
01-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Was the sword at least larger than his penis?!? Inquiring social scientists wish to know!

Sextar
01-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Considering he's in china I'm going to guess he bought:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/equipment/rpics/tiny_dagger.jpg

Flunklesnarkin
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Entropia is one of the lamest so-called virtual universes in the world. I'd rather be some randomly butchered iteration of Aragorn, a virtual vampire, or furry in Second Life than participate in that p.o.s. Their "Planet Partners" are disengaging from them en masse, planets are generally empty or near-to empty, and average non-insider players stand no chance of a return on their money.

Jan Welter Timkrans, in whichever executive position he is in now, has bankrupted several companies before this and it is only by bleeding people dry through promises of big payouts that Entropia is still around. This is the same company which bought a castle and painted it yellow a few years back, losing much money in their upside-down investment.

That being said, Entropia can be fun if you play small by investing whatever you would in a normal subscription-based game. It may last you a week if you get lucky. Just don't expect to make the sorts of money you see in their press releases: those amounts are reserved for those associated with MindArk directly or indirectly. For their stellar history, see things such as the Entropia ATM Card, Banks in Entropia, and much more.

yar wasn't saying it was a good game.. or even average game lol

just sayin' its the biggest most retarded mmo purchase i can think off of the top of my head.

fishingme
01-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I bought a borg mask when i was 8 for halloween. My best purchase to this date

Knuckle
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
spending 16,000 on a weapon? I'd get an authentic Japanese samurai sword.

http://www.tofugu.com/2011/12/12/the-deadly-dying-art-of-crafting-samurai-swords/