PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Mistwalker pets

Nizzarr
12-30-2011, 11:43 PM
My scimitar of the mistwalker pet isnt taking weapons and not quadding.

A fix is in order imo!

Cast
12-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Scim of Mistwalker should have 1hp, be unbuffable, and die after a round of attacks

sounds like the gms got it right, congrats on your sword.

Fazlazen
12-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Scim of Mistwalker should have 1hp, be unbuffable, and die after a round of attacks

you jelly ?

Cast
12-31-2011, 01:26 AM
you jelly ?

these forums are not for trolling, reported

Nizzarr
12-31-2011, 02:19 AM
unbuffable, die after a round of attacks mistwalker is kunark era.

SORRY TO DISSAPOINT CAST, YOUZ GONNA BE EATEN BY XIBOBER!

Cast
12-31-2011, 02:38 AM
I'd never be caught dying to a pet with that name, maybe something starting with a J...

Cast
12-31-2011, 05:43 AM
Elderan, from FoH - first level 60 when kunark came out, posting in Nov 1999:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.everquest/browse_thread/thread/36710df8ef6b5f99/d5a3be111ffa45e9

Proof from Nov 1999, thanks. Nice work on keeping it classic and classy, GM staff. Nizzar, I realize you didn't actually play in 1999, so I ask you to please refrain from speaking when us adults are talking.

Reikerx
12-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Please explain how changes made 8 months after the launch of EQ are relevant on this 1 month old server.

Sounds like you lost the race to Vox like you lost the race to everything else and are once again crying and making shit up to make up for your growing disadvantage.

In the meantime, reported for trolling in a bug report.

Back on topic: Mistwalker should be able to wield weapons when given them. At the moment, it does not.

Cast
12-31-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm much too lazy to dig down to any deeper level than November 1999, after it got hit with its 4th patch to attempt to balance the item, vox wasn't killed in a month circa 1999, this isn't exclusively classic server, yatta yatta yatta no reason to play these games. I know, and hopefully the GMs know, any version other than what I have listed below is imbalanced which is why they corrected it over and over again. Lets drag up the whole charm and fear were in classic eq, and so was the ability to loot a players corpse on rallos even after dying to a mob. No thanks-

I'll repeat my initial post in this thread:

Also let us not forget the completely erroneous information below:

unbuffable, die after a round of attacks mistwalker is kunark era.

Daldaen
12-31-2011, 02:09 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33579&highlight=mistwalker

Kanras: Fixed bug where some mistwalker pets would only do bash/kick damage
Kanras: Mistwalker pets will now depop after one round of combat.

Note that change. It isn't because it was incorrect on blue, its because it fit into the timeline. It being OP doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed to be classic... see Manastone for example.

I hate to say it, but the previous poster was right, you just seem butthurt for whatever reason.

Rais
12-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Feb 17, 2000. A little bit before Kunark release:

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000217a.html

Is the patch. As to the other nerfs, they were never in patches and were just applied. We all know it was nerfed a few months after they started to be dropped.

So he is right in asking for the un-nerfed one.

Cast
12-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Hurdur, you probably have no idea why this patch went into effect - it's because FoH realized they could kill Overseer in air (which was supposed to be unkillable) as level 50s prior to kunark using 5+ mistwalkers. Since the mistwalker pet went directly to the top of a mobs hatelist, they could just use 255max dex'ed rangers to spawn them continually and the rangers would never take any damage.

And this was not the only patch that directly targeted the mistwalker pet, you should probably look up the patchnotes for "you can no longer buff a pet with less than 20hp" - a patch thated correct an imbalanced pet with (hrrhdrr) 1hp.

Also, lol @ they were never in patches argument (because they were) - but also because it proves the point that the item was imbalanced, hurdur lets look at other issues of imbalance that have been removed or classic gameplay that has been altered for the same reasons on this server. Proof of at least 4 major gameplay changes to an item and you'd have us believe the correct version to use is other than my first reply to this thread. Certainly I'd expect trolling, but I think the two dopes above me think they're actually right lol. Probably from blue 99 and don't even play red

edit: and my god, using MANASTONE as some sort of proof that a bugged item, that took at least 4 major nerfs prior to Kunark, should be implemented in its imbalanced form to adhere to classic standards. MANASTONE. ha.. hah... hahahahaa

Rais
12-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes clearly I have no idea what or how FoH did things.:rolleyes: you got me.

Mistwalker was buffable and didn't depop for a while. Yes it was nerfed over a period of time in different waves. I'm glad you keep stating that it was nerfed more than once. Kinda tells you how many different things were changed with it.

The multi nerfs aren't converted to "Day 1" when they dropped. It happened months after it started to drop. Not all the nerfs were in patches.

From your own link, that you are using based on all your arguments.

Stop trolling the boards.

Yes it it true the mistwalker has been nurfed for the 3rd time. I am sure
not many people are aware of this since its a rare dragon loot item. To give
you an idea of how rare this item is, we have killed vox apro 15-20 times in
the past 3 months and Vox has dropped this item 3 times.
1st nerf, Cant hp buff pet (Understand this one)
2nd nerf, Cant rune pet
3rd nerf, Once pet procs and hit the mob, the mob will super aggro it
killing it within 1-2 hits.
Verant has basicaly put a cheat code in the AI. So the way it is, even if a
wiz had dumped 4000kdmg on the mob and the mob is beating on the wiz, If the
pet hits the mob it will instantly turn and aggro the pet killing it, even
if the pet does 1dmg.
What gets me the most is the fact they NEVER put what nerfs changes they put
into the patch msg. I am sure their theory is what they dont know want hurt
them. The only reason they posted the monk changes is people yelled and
screamed for a day. What used to be a worthy dragon item has become a desent
10dmg 25dely weapon.

Nizzarr
12-31-2011, 05:42 PM
so to come back to the OP:

not sure if bug: Mistwalker pet always lvl 49, no other levels in like ~30 pets.

Bug: not quadding when given weapons, not taking weapons at all.

what should happen: Pet should be taking weapons and quadding.

Cast
12-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Your contention is,

Yes it was nerfed over a period of time in different waves. I'm glad you keep stating that it was nerfed more than once. Kinda tells you how many different things were changed with it.

Not all the nerfs were in patches.

That because within a period of 6 weeks additional changes were made to continue to nerf the imbalance, therefore it should follow a timeline related to 1999 rather than removing the imbalances that were ultimately identified PRIOR to kunark launch? What are you smoking.

Here's 9/28 patchnote that is specifically put in to begin correcting the glaring imbalanced pet, and again if you click my original link from 6 weeks later, you'll see an additional two nerfs have been listed against the pet by Elderan.

Sept 28, 1999: remove ability to give mistwalker hp buff
Nov 17, 1999:
1) can no longer rune pet
2) pet essentially poofs after one round

September 28, 1999
------------------------------
General Enhancements
- A Yes/No request window is now brought up when ever turning in the PK
note to the Priest of Discord.
- It is now possible to manually reorganize icons within the spell
book. This may be performed by right-clicking on the currently placed
icon (the icon will then be highlighted), then right-clicking on the
desired slot you wish to move it.
- Pet damage inflicted during PvP combat has been slightly reduced.
- It is now possible to place items marked as "No Drop" in the bank.
- NPC corpses will only remain for 8 minutes, even while looting.
- If a party member goes link-dead, the remaining members will be
notified.
- Pets with less than 20 hit points cannot receive hit point buffs.

Yes that is incredibly difficult to understand. Imbalance is identified, proper changes are implemented on test/live servers until the ultimate fix is determined. Verant was notorious for not listing actual changes in the changelogs, which is why when people try to argue over classic era shit using kunark/velious era reasoning it's ridiculous. Every day items and procs and spells were changing without citation.

This isn't 1999, we know what the imbalances are and how to correct them. Back in June-July '99 when few guilds began killing Vox, they had to allow time to develop understanding and implement fixes to clearly broken pieces of their game.

Here is the reason it was specifically listed in the patch notes for February 2000:
I was asked by a developer whilst we were in Plane of Sky how
we were planning on killing the mob, I explained the plan
detailed above, Mistwalker was subsequently nerfed 2 days
later after confirming the plans efficacy.
I apologize for the inconvenience, as I've actually nerfed my
own guilds efficacy a bit with this but I suppose it was for
the 'greater good.'
Furor Planedefiler
Guildmaster of the Fires of Heaven, Veeshan

The proc rate was hotpatched into being near useless while they continued to find a solution to an exploitable, imbalanced item. How many prime examples could we pick out from that time period and have no implementation on this server.

Take egg shaped pumices for example, how have they been implemented here?

They're removed from red99 in the name of balance. Storebought instant dispel wrecks PvP completely. It was the one non-classic thing that was unanimously requested and approved. Egg-shaped Pumice is different from Crystallized Pumice, the one with a cast time, which is still there. Unlimited instant dispel was not part of anyone's toolset, it was beyond broken. Removing them from red99 is justifiable because they were removed from live fairly early.

So while you will continue to pontificate the first proc version of an imbalanced (and subsequently rebalanced) item, I will continue to tell you the only version of this sword that should be (and currently is) on this server is a classic era version and you graciously included the link for us:

Feb 17, 2000.
However, the resulting pet will now automatically "dissipate" after one combat round.

Start using your brain-

We all know it was nerfed a few months after they started to be dropped.

This is clearly not true as Nizzarr thought it was kunark era (clearly never played in 1999). However, the bigger response to that is

..if you know it was nerfed shortly after it was introduced to the hundreds of thousands of players circa 1999 and deemed imbalanced, why would you think that version should ever be allowed on a PVP server? Are you going to bring up Guise of Deceivers as your next item to say "BUT, BUT, BUT LOOK! We followed this item timeline!!", Christ save you.

Nizzarr
12-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Your contention is,

That because within a period of 6 weeks additional changes were made to continue to nerf the imbalance, therefore it should follow a timeline related to 1999 rather than removing the imbalances that were ultimately identified PRIOR to kunark launch? What are you smoking.

Here's 9/28 patchnote that is specifically put in to begin correcting the glaring imbalanced pet, and again if you click my original link from 6 weeks later, you'll see an additional two nerfs have been listed against the pet by Elderan.

Sept 28, 1999: remove ability to give mistwalker hp buff
Nov 17, 1999:
1) can no longer rune pet
2) pet essentially poofs after one round

Yes that is incredibly difficult to understand. Imbalance is identified, proper changes are implemented on test/live servers until the ultimate fix is determined. Verant was notorious for not listing actual changes in the changelogs, which is why when people try to argue over classic era shit using kunark/velious era reasoning it's ridiculous. Every day items and procs and spells were changing without citation.

This isn't 1999, we know what the imbalances are and how to correct them. Back in June-July '99 when few guilds began killing Vox, they had to allow time to develop understanding and implement fixes to clearly broken pieces of their game.

Here is the reason it was specifically listed in the patch notes for February 2000:

The proc rate was hotpatched into being near useless while they continued to find a solution to an exploitable, imbalanced item. How many prime examples could we pick out from that time period and have no implementation on this server.

Take egg shaped pumices for example, how have they been implemented here?

So while you will continue to pontificate the first proc version of an imbalanced (and subsequently rebalanced) item, I will continue to tell you the only version of this sword that should be (and currently is) on this server is a classic era version and you graciously included the link for us:

Start using your brain-

This is clearly not true as Nizzarr thought it was kunark era (clearly never played in 1999). However, the bigger response to that is

..if you know it was nerfed shortly after it was introduced to the hundreds of thousands of players circa 1999 and deemed imbalanced, why would you think that version should ever be allowed on a PVP server? Are you going to bring up Guise of Deceivers as your next item to say "BUT, BUT, BUT LOOK! We followed this item timeline!!", Christ save you.

Go kill vox and get one while theyre good then.

oh wait, oops

Cast
12-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Go get a necro pet circa 1999 while theyre good then.
Go get a egg shaped pumice while theyre good then.
Go get a fear and charmable player spell while theyre good then.
Go get a redwand while theyre good then.
Go get a selos song that overwrites root while theyre good then.

Yes, some of the items, abilities, spells, procs -deemed imbalanced from 1999- that are excluded from the classical timeline approach. Certainly we should make an exception for a pet that went so many rounds of nerfs Rais can't even keep track of them in his head.

It's this type of idiocy that bothers me on this server. Trolling aside, you've done this before prior to R99 launching by not telling anyone that Sword of Runes proc rate was bugged, asked it to be implemented for every pet class (not just necro) and then exploited it with your druid. The same process was done with other items, namely redwands. Hopefully "the content team" understands whats going on here and doesn't fall for your douchebaggery again.

Gmal
01-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Source: http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000217a.html
Date: FEBRUARY 17, 2000

Mistwalker:

The Mistwalker will once again cast its spell as often as it used to prior to the last patch. However, the resulting pet will now automatically "dissipate" after one combat round. The change that reduced the "proc" percentage on the weapon was made due to an unintended interaction between the pet and the target when several users of this weapon were attacking the same target. Since the new pet now automatically dissipates after one round, the reduced "proc" percentage was no longer necessary.

Nizzarr
01-03-2012, 03:24 PM
This is currently in its "reduced proc percentage" form as well here.

I can swing 50 times before seeing a pet, repeatedly. This thing proced like crazy back in the days before that proc percentage nerf, which apparently was in the patch before this one.

Also still cant dual wield, still always lvl 49.

range should be 48-51

Nirgon
01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Considering one dropped accidentally on the blue server as a result of red going live. We'll see if this ever sees the light of day.

Reikerx
01-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Considering one dropped accidentally on the blue server as a result of red going live. We'll see if this ever sees the light of day.

Servers are running two different databases. Mistwalker already is the fully nerfed version there and not here. This server just needs some additional tweaks with it to bring it in line with classic.

minakto
01-03-2012, 04:29 PM
mistwalker wasnt even druid usable at release. stop with the qq

Mouse
01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f387/AexDestroy/Mistwalker.png

there are some people who are seriously mad in this thead.
Just give niz his fuckin correct Scimi.

PVPBetaChamps
01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
He has his correct scimitar. I'm sorry that you are too braindead to realize what an imbalanced proc it was when it originally came out. There are reasons it was nerfed to its current state, again we can make the same argument for a dozen different things that are not "classic" but have been altered to correct their early imbalance circa march-june 1999. The problem is none of you actually played on rallos back in 1999 so you wouldn't understand - let me do the talking and reasoning around here from now on. You just shut up and listen to what I have to say. Thanks!

Nirgon
01-09-2012, 05:36 PM
It doubles for max of 84 IN PVP and you can cast your lvl 44 druid haste buff on it.

Strong enough already but...

It's not only swinging and hitting once. I'd be on the warpath looking for more if that was the case if I was him. Truely and really, I think this is working correctly for classic given the era of ice comet being in, but pre-solro.

It's still strong as fuck, notably for kiting big mobs like dino, or for raid mobs etc.

Mardur
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Bump for dev response on broken mistwalker.

Nirgon
01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I think we don't need to create a situation where we can use that same exploit from live to kill raid bosses, but that's juz me.

Anywho, it stays with you, you can buff it, sow and I believe its insanely resistant to magic, double for 84 in pvp and can proc mage swords. Wtf do you want lol. A pet that quads for a total of 400 in pve? Man not only is that not how it worked (and shocking you think they'd be dumb enough to implement it.. really), but the use of the staff as a weapon is beyond shameful at this point.

PVPBetaChamps
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
staff dumb enough?

look who you're dealing with

Nizzarr
01-11-2012, 09:27 AM
is this working as intended? was it taking weapons on blue way back then?

The_Prophet
01-11-2012, 09:36 AM
is this working as intended? was it taking weapons on blue way back then?

Currently not working as intended, it should be depopping after one round, should be unbuffable, and shouldn't zone with you (unsure if it is, but just incase)

Nizzarr
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Why is this guy allowed to post on bug reports again? wtb clean thread

Giovanni
05-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Isn't mistwalker supposed to poof after one round of melee? It's hitting for 84 damage per swing in pvp.