PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter question

WhatWhatWhat
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I decided to try something I haven't played before for P1999, so I rolled an Enchanter. Just hit level 20, so now I've hit the specialization question: Alteration or Conjuration?

There are posts on other forums about this, but they're mostly referring to EQ in its current state.
So, for folks who played chanters in original/Kunark/Velious, which would you recommend for those eras?

Alteration covers things like haste, mana sieve, clarity, charm, memblur
Conjuration covers mez, mez, and oh yeah, mez

I'm someone who would like to do tough groups, and high-end encounters. Does the mana savings on mez in hairy situations outweigh the fact that a huge chunk of the remaining chanter spells are alteration-based?

Thanks for the feedback.

guineapig
11-04-2009, 03:14 PM
This is a very good question. My main was a chanter back in the day and I forgot all about specialization....

My personal opinion would be to go with conjuration as that saves lives. You must be able to mez on command at a moments notice and (especially in a raid) failure to do so = pain and death.

buffs and charm is pure fluff in comparison.

quenyar
11-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I went alteration, since most of the mana heavy spells are in this line. Keep haste on 3 melee while slowing mobs and you know what Im talking about...

eric82
03-20-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm having this same problem.

It's true that most of the mana heavy spells and actually the majority of our spells as enchanters are Alteration. However the life saving quality of Conjuration is incredibly helpful. Some posts I've read all say that the mana you save by spec'ing in Alteration makes up for the difference.

I can't remember what I spec'd back in the day but I remember lasting through 30 minute mez sessions in Karnor's Castle and gaining mana the whole time though it while keeping 5+ mob's mezzed at all times.

Finawin
03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Enchanter is one of the few that either way will help you out.

Alteration will probably save the most mana.

Either way as long as you're not the guy who thinks Evocation for a Druid is okay, you'll do fine.

Jify
03-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Enchanter is one of the few that either way will help you out.

Alteration will probably save the most mana.

Either way as long as you're not the guy who thinks Evocation for a Druid is okay, you'll do fine.

Agreed. Druids = Conjuration. Then you get the most out of your dots!

Finawin
03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
:P

Helnam
03-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I dunno, I find a lot more mana is used on conj spells then alter. That said, at lvl 60 mez spells become a much shorter duration and much higher mana cost (for raids that is). So if you're planning to play kunark alter gets better. But for now imo conj is better.

Bakaris
03-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Depends on your playing style imo. I went Alteration, because I use charm alot. Buffing alot. And for CC, I use root(lvl4) when possible (And your group knows how to react to that ;) ) as its fast to cast and costs nothing. (All alteration skills)

Personally I think specialization in conjuration is kinda of a waste - unless you really love to mez and basically do nothing else in a group.

But like I said - depends on how you play.

guineapig
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
If you are in it for the long haul you can also do alteration till you get your epic (our is a major pain in the ass to get), then respecialize in Solro to conjuration once you have it.

My reasoning is: while leveling up buffs do get cast most often but once your 60 you're mostly going to be doing raids or random quests. By then you have group magic resist and your other buff spells have a good duration. Haste and C are the only buffs you will be spamming and the epic takes care of the haste.

So basically I'm completely contradicting what I posted a while back as another option. ;)

(P.S. This is taking into account that this server stops at Velious. If it didn't then I would stick with alteration all the way due to the AA's and the haste you would be getting with PoP.)