PDA

View Full Version : Opinions for class creation(Never been done before!)

Oogmog
04-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Hello folks,

Long time EQ player, well, at least classic.. stopped mid PoP due to the path the game went. Anyway, I have played a Warrior/Shaman/Cleric/Enchanter all max level, would box 3 at a time constantly. That said, I am torn between 3 of those classes seeing as how dual boxing isn't allowed, and will illustrate my concerns.

1) Warrior - The solo grind doesn't work for a warrior, and Ogre or go home so the XP penalty makes things even more rough. Are groups readily available for a tank? Will I ever have a problem or will I be picking my nose half the time I'm online?

2) Cleric - Soloing ability? Check. Grouping ability? Check. How fun are they not when dual boxed? Like I said, I always would play 3 char's at once during regular EQ, so how exciting is cleric life playing only the cleric?

3) Enchanter - Leaning heavily towards this one. I can solo, I can group, I can be constantly busy while in a group, however, come Kunark/Velious raids, all I really will do is... buff.

Input and opinions are welcome, I know its a ramble. Also, if anyone is from Firiona Vie here, hello!

KingKoopa
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Im gonna disreguard this post due to the Ogre warrior or go home...lol nah but i do see alot of shamans running around i would go cleric/chanter

Samuel
04-16-2010, 09:38 PM
however, come Kunark/Velious raids, all I really will do is... buff.

and tash!

There are a lot of enchanters and clerics on this server already, for obvious reasons.

Some people have an issue with warrior tanks in classic because of their inability to generate agro.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding groups with any class (especially of those three choices), so play whichever you like best. If it were me, I'd play the enchanter.

Healthcare
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
1) Warrior - The solo grind doesn't work for a warrior, and Ogre or go home so the XP penalty makes things even more rough. Are groups readily available for a tank? Will I ever have a problem or will I be picking my nose half the time I'm online?

Ogre XP penalty is only like 15% but Warriors get a 10% XP bonus therefore you end up with a smaller overall penalty which you probably won't even notice.

Oogmog
04-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Ogre XP penalty is only like 15% but Warriors get a 10% XP bonus therefore you end up with a smaller overall penalty which you probably won't even notice.

Ah right! I forgot about that. But the question is still unanswered in the warrior department, how much are they needed? Both grouping and raiding guilds?

Skope
04-16-2010, 09:45 PM
There seems to be a lack of tanks in the high 30s-40s range on p99, particularly warriors. You shouldn't have a problem finding a group as a warrior, but because it'll be your first char it might be a bit hard finding decent gear to hold aggro to tank well.

Enchanters and clerics are always welcome and make excellent first chars. If you're looking for a bit of skill and constant target swapping and attention to detail then go chanter

Tallenn
04-16-2010, 09:47 PM
need moar tanks!

Healthcare
04-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Ah right! I forgot about that. But the question is still unanswered in the warrior department, how much are they needed? Both grouping and raiding guilds?

I played one until about 18 (which probably can't completely answer your question) and didn't have an issue finding groups. About the only time there were problems was when a zone either had few people in it or full of a bunch and thus everyone had trouble finding groups.

There seems to be a lack of tanks in the high 30s-40s range on p99, particularly warriors. You shouldn't have a problem finding a group as a warrior, but because it'll be your first char it might be a bit hard finding decent gear to hold aggro to tank well.

Quick tip: When you're a lowbie and fighting in Feerot (sp?) ask if any high lvl peeps are fighting specters near plane entrance and can let you loot/have a polished steel dirk. Quick, powerful and magical piercer that you can use for a while.

Oogmog
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I am looking for something to keep me occupied for sure. Right now I'm heavy into arena in WoW, and if any of you have spent any significant time there, you'll understand how fast paced it is. Unfortunately for me, I can never get over this EQ obsession so therefore it's always pulling me back in. Few friends have been trying to get me back and I finally decided to give it a shot right after the servers went down. My main was Warrior, I know the mechanics, and I understand the aggro difficulties I'll be faced with until SoD/BoC's. However, if played right, aggro shouldn't be an issue if people don't break mezzes early. I always loved enchanters, and the idea of playing an enchanter in AoE groups in Seb come Kunark does sound appealing moreso than a warrior.

Skope
04-16-2010, 09:55 PM
the dirks dont drop off the specs anymore. they drop off the qeynos specs and at that insanely low rate that they did in classic (something like .2%).

Play what you like and you'll have fun with, but considering you seem to like fast-paced, nail-biting intensity i'd recommend enchanter :P

Fawqueue
04-16-2010, 10:43 PM
As an enchanter, I will say only this one thing. Yes, you will be capable of doing some things no other class can all by your lonesome. However, there are already quite a few and your usefulness in raids is limited. Most the end guilds have more than they currently need, so your raid options are limited. Go heals or tank (especially tanks sine they are lacking) if you have a desire to be "needed" at 50. Or do like I've seen some people do: Make a mage, crazy level to 50, use the mage to farm items/money for the toon you really want to play. Being geared early makes a warrior's early life a little more bearable.

Humerox
04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Wizzies, monks and bards imo.

:)

Oogmog
04-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Wizzies, monks and bards imo.

:)

Wizard was my num 4 spot, with bard being 5... I just dont think I can live with the 40% exp penalty. Now you're just stirring shit up in my head even worse, thanks!

Humerox
04-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Yar...but raiding guilds will LOVE you. :)

mrgoochio
04-17-2010, 12:11 AM
how exciting is the life of a cleric? well it depends on your group really.. if youre OP for the camp, you'll do next to nothing. if you have a group that knows what theyre doing, you'll have things to do.

Ihealyou
04-17-2010, 12:15 AM
My groups get pretty exciting when I'm healing. That may say more about me than the group though...