PDA

View Full Version : Paladins?

KingKoopa
04-16-2010, 11:43 AM
When the server comes back up i will continue to level my Paladin. But i was wondering why it seems SKs outnumber pallies like 2:1 it seems even there are more warriors on than them it seems. I know Disease cloud is a agro BEAST atm but is that the only reason? And also in your guys opinion who makes the Best if not coolest pally hehe Halfling ftw?!?

Cars
04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Most people that are playing paladins are not really maximizing on their abilities, especially in regards tp holding aggro. Blind alone is underused and it makes pallies agro whores. After 30 with stun added to that, pallies should have no problems keeping up with the best of them. But a big part of why SK's outnumber pa??ies will be becauase of race selection. Ogres and trolls have huge beneficial starting stats for an SK where the best race for a pally is prpbably a dwarf. That's my guess anyways

guineapig
04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I dare say that in groups with more squishies (casters), pallies are an even better choice than an SK.

A pallie stun will not only help him regain aggro if a caster does something dumb but the stun itself is preventing the caster from taking damage while the pallie is regaining control.

Another reason: With a pally tank you can have the entire group consist of 1 healer of any kind and nothing but DPS (assuming you have clarity). My reasoning is this. The pally can be the backup healer in a pinch, negating the need to take up a second slot with a backup healer. Paladin healing is usually enough to keep an int caster alive or spot heal between pulls. Also with a paladin you don't need a second class for pulling since they can lull.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Shadowknights, but I think Paladins are more versatile.

My holy trinity group consists of:

Druid
Enchanter
Paladin

Jify
04-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Paladins

lol!

Kinamur1999
04-16-2010, 12:41 PM
F Paladins. Agreed?

Dangergirl
04-16-2010, 12:55 PM
I dare say that in groups with more squishies (casters), pallies are an even better choice than an SK.

A pallie stun will not only help him regain aggro if a caster does something dumb but the stun itself is preventing the caster from taking damage while the pallie is regaining control.

Another reason: With a pally tank you can have the entire group consist of 1 healer of any kind and nothing but DPS (assuming you have clarity). My reasoning is this. The pally can be the backup healer in a pinch, negating the need to take up a second slot with a backup healer. Paladin healing is usually enough to keep an int caster alive or spot heal between pulls. Also with a paladin you don't need a second class for pulling since they can lull.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Shadowknights, but I think Paladins are more versatile.

My holy trinity group consists of:

Druid
Enchanter
Paladin

All the lulls and pauses in EQ gives a person much time to think and postulate (much like baseball). I consider myself a student of the game, and as such I come up with alot of questions that might be silly to most, one being what is the best 3 person combo for a group and I came up with the same as you: Druid Chanter Pali, with Druid chanter SK coming in second, FD offering a few different options.

Bayleo
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
The poison agro is great, yes. Number one reason to be a SK over a pally though: Fein Death. You have no concept how useful that is in so many cases.

guineapig
04-16-2010, 01:58 PM
The poison agro is great, yes. Number one reason to be a SK over a pally though: Fein Death. You have no concept how useful that is in so many cases.

I think it's actually disease cloud that they use the most on this server, but I feel ya.

FD is actually the one and only ability in the game that the Paly, druid, chanter combo doesn't have access to (besides summon corpse but nobody ever seems to carry coffins on them anyway). But I think having lull along with Lay Hands and rez is a great compromise for those bad situations. And spell based FD is not quite as good as ability based (monk). Not taking anything away from SK FD though, it's still a wonderful tool. But with a chanter and druid back at camp it's not QUITE as important.

Virtuosos
04-16-2010, 02:07 PM
feign death =p

and i wish i had something to keep me from dying from when a monk does a bad pull :/

but i love my pally, lay hands, in-between pull heals, root, stun, blind, soulfire?! if we can just get gate or feign death i would roll paladin alts just to relive all the fun!

as a main tank though? rather not...nothing wrong with doing it, but for a successful paladin i think you have to be able to utilize everything. healing while having aggro is pretty hard especially if that mob stuns...and you can still stun if you space things out.

sk's would be a better main tank out of pally/sk because they cant off-heal :p

and i have no problem in sacrificing tanking if i can spend more time sitting instead of having to pull....hate pulling sometimes :(

Dangergirl
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM
When the server comes back up i will continue to level my Paladin. But i was wondering why it seems SKs outnumber pallies like 2:1 it seems even there are more warriors on than them it seems. I know Disease cloud is a agro BEAST atm but is that the only reason? And also in your guys opinion who makes the Best if not coolest pally hehe Halfling ftw?!?

The top reason to me is Feign Death, I personally went from 34-44 on live as an SK, the whole time in LGuk with only 1 death thanks mostly to FD.

The other reasons for this survival were Gather Shadows (self invis) and Invis to undead. Self Invis is another strong reason peeps might chose SK over Pali. (Both get invis to undead)

A pet. Peeps love having pets and with the high lvl summon of pets on this server it might help a bit. It is kind of cool for a tank to have a pet and on live the one you got at lvl 39 was decent. The best way to view SK pets is as a low level dot, or a great victim to send in and get harm touched by by those SK mobs in Cazic!

Fear. I love the spell and love the graphix, mixed with SK snare You can fear kite mobs you could not face up to, I soloed alot of hill giants this way back in the day.

Snare. Some mobs run at 20% life, if u root them they will fight to the death.

If this were a pvp server I'd add in Harm Touch as a reason, and for some, it might still be.

Because you don't want to heal. On live with short resurect timers, some peeps (including me) would get real pissed if they died and the pali didnt break off a stun and toss them a heal or even a Lay on Hands...If you do not have that ability, you will not have that responsibility.

Kaylen
04-16-2010, 04:24 PM
The Paladin is a strong class, But the above comments are correct.

FD is an incredibly powerful skill and we have to work just a little bit harder to hold our aggro as compared to an SK. That being said we also end up doing less DPS and dont have the neat little joys of a pet.

All and all I don't regret picking a paladin, its a very fun class to play and fulfills the same role as a SK would. The only major thing you get that a SK won't is the ability to toss out heals to members who need a top off, a few buffs (if you don't have a cleric in the group), eventually a no/low exp rez, and stuns.

They make a great class to bring along if your powerleveling some friends as well.

But I think some of it boils down to the fact that people just like the idea of being evil too. Not as much love for the Good guys.

(On a side note) I'm fairly certain you will not be able to pick a Halfing Paladin to play as they were not classic. Dwarf is by far the best starting stats. But your welcome to pick whatever you like, I wouldn't let starting stats dictate your character unless you just dont care about what race you play.

JayDee
04-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Paladin's are innately more defensive which isn't everyone's playstyle.

guineapig
04-16-2010, 04:31 PM
(On a side note) I'm fairly certain you will not be able to pick a Halfing Paladin to play as they were not classic. Dwarf is by far the best starting stats. But your welcome to pick whatever you like, I wouldn't let starting stats dictate your character unless you just dont care about what race you play.

Correct, the halfling hybrids didn't go live till Luclin so we won't be seeing them.

JayDee
04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Sad too cause they're easily the best looking in planar armor.