PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic

endemictruth
12-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Just wondering if anyone is playing this at all. Forming a guild on the Jung Ma RP-PvP server that is mainly comprised of old EQ players. PM me if you're planning on playing and want to join us!

P.S. If you're on the fence about / haven't heard of it yet... I highly recommend trying it out. Best MMORPG since EverQuest imo. :cool:

Diggles
12-17-2011, 04:50 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57113

Fireapple
12-17-2011, 06:55 AM
I have the collectors edition still inside a sealed UPS box (they shipped it before i remembered to cancel) and don't really have any desire to ever open it. I thought SWTOR was gonna bring back at least a little bit of RPG into the "MMOSocialMedia" game genre.. but its degraded it even further.

You follow a timeline to reach end game, and endgame is there just to replace itself.

The game industry has been making the same game for 7 or 8 years, i'm just sick of it

stormlord
12-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I have the collectors edition still inside a sealed UPS box (they shipped it before i remembered to cancel) and don't really have any desire to ever open it. I thought SWTOR was gonna bring back at least a little bit of RPG into the "MMOSocialMedia" game genre.. but its degraded it even further.

You follow a timeline to reach end game, and endgame is there just to replace itself.

The game industry has been making the same game for 7 or 8 years, i'm just sick of it
I wonder of collector's editions will be worth something later?

oldfish
12-17-2011, 09:36 PM
This is an awful, awful game.

I beta'd it and didnt even play again when i got another invite.

Its like WoW, but you cant cancel the cheesy quest dialogue.

Diggles
12-17-2011, 09:46 PM
This is an awful, awful game.

I beta'd it and didnt even play again when i got another invite.

Its like WoW, but you cant cancel the cheesy quest dialogue.

< knows he didnt actually play the beta because you can >

oldfish
12-17-2011, 09:56 PM
< knows he didnt actually play the beta because you can >

Diggles the all-knowing.

Hes like Criswell in Ed Wood

Diggles
12-17-2011, 10:11 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IDGIoDEh5NQ/TuLkwzWLLeI/AAAAAAAADII/uI5fiJjb0Rg/s640/Criswell.jpg

SyanideGas
12-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Oooh sounds like a nice plan. Im getting my account all set up,already got my email...Probably gonna roll a Jedi Consular.

Diggles
12-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Smuggler or bust.

Rogean
12-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I preordered this and still haven't played.

Might at some point though.

SyanideGas
12-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Smuggler or bust.

I was watching the progression of the Smuggler on youtube,and they honestly look pretty badass as far as gameplay goes. I may look into it.

Juugox2
12-18-2011, 12:23 AM
im sticking with marauder and btw this game isnt really meant to be the next mmo imo its more of a kotor 3 4 5 6 and so on exaclty what they said it would be really lol

SyanideGas
12-18-2011, 12:51 AM
im sticking with marauder and btw this game isnt really meant to be the next mmo imo its more of a kotor 3 4 5 6 and so on exaclty what they said it would be really lol

True,it still looks like a pretty solid game though

MrSparkle001
12-18-2011, 01:40 AM
From what I've seen on youtube, the game looks kinda lame. Then again Star Wars is lame too. Been lame since the prequels.

Supreme
12-18-2011, 02:02 AM
It is WOW.

formallydickman
12-18-2011, 03:02 AM
From what I've seen on youtube, the game looks kinda lame.

It looks worse in videos than it feels when playing it, at least in my opinion (could say the same for everquest).

I'm having a good time with it. Although it is extremely similar to aspects of WoW and many other MMOs, they gave me reasons to group up with a couple buddies and level together (non-instanced 2-4 man content, no xp penalty for grouping, increased social point gain, free companion, etc. etc.) and that's been something missing from mainstream MMOs for a while now.

MrSparkle001
12-18-2011, 03:52 AM
The graphics look lame to me too though. To be fair, I never liked WoW's graphics either. I actually prefer EQ's to WoW's, because I prefer a game that at least attempts realism, vs. purposely trying to look cartoonish.

But that's me. I've been playing Skyrim instead of p99 the past few weeks (with some Battlefield 3 thrown in) so right now just about every MMO looks bad graphically. I don't even have EQ installed on this new computer.

GreenPete
12-18-2011, 05:15 AM
The graphics look lame to me too though. To be fair, I never liked WoW's graphics either. I actually prefer EQ's to WoW's, because I prefer a game that at least attempts realism, vs. purposely trying to look cartoonish.

if i want to look at real shit i go outside. other than that im all about how the game play is and if its fun or not.

MrSparkle001
12-18-2011, 01:28 PM
if i want to look at real shit i go outside. other than that im all about how the game play is and if its fun or not.

I have a thing against cartoonish graphics. I also have a major thing against anime so maybe that's why.

Graphics don't make a game. I know. I grew up with atari 2600 and text-based or icon-based RPGs on the Commodore 64. But playing a cartoon? I'll pass.

Diggles
12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
star wars isn't very realistic to begin with.

MrSparkle001
12-18-2011, 05:57 PM
I might argue that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (read: late 70s/early 80s) Star Wars was more "realistic" than now. Lightsaber duels were minimalist without all the flashy ninja moves and the Force wasn't some sort of uber magic.

It's gotten so lame over the years though. The last Star Wars game I played was Empire At War, and that's because of it's focus on the original trilogy and it's space battles. Anything prequel makes me want to run away screaming.

Diggles
12-18-2011, 07:38 PM
but this is pre prequel!

Zenlina
12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I have a thing against cartoonish graphics. I also have a major thing against anime so maybe that's why.

Graphics don't make a game. I know. I grew up with atari 2600 and text-based or icon-based RPGs on the Commodore 64. But playing a cartoon? I'll pass.

http://frog_77.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/kaihoken3x.jpg <--- SWTOR... Power up!

Juugox2
12-18-2011, 09:03 PM
how can you say no to ship battles

Diggles
12-18-2011, 09:42 PM
ROGUE SQUADRON

SyanideGas
12-18-2011, 10:45 PM

MrSparkle001
12-18-2011, 10:50 PM

I heard SWTOR ship battles are just rail shooters.

Now if they were like the beloved Tie Fighter or X-Wing games of yesteryear that would be a different story.

SyanideGas
12-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I heard SWTOR ship battles are just rail shooters.

Now if they were like the beloved Tie Fighter or X-Wing games of yesteryear that would be a different story.

Yeah that part does suck,i was watching one of the videos and I thought it was gonna be better than the ones they had in SWG..I was a little let down.

Diggles
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
They are railshooters, but they're fun as hell, there's a lot of talk about free flight later in the game.