PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Crystalize Pummice Issue

Kringe
12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
When using a "Crystalized Pumice" on a player, If that player runs out of range of the pumices casting range, it will consume a charge of the pumice.

Please address:(

Szeth
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Ever used a midnight mallet on blue? It works the same way. If you click it 5 times on a mob that is OOR - bye bye charges.

nilbog
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Could be related to this...if charges are regarded as components.

FEBRUARY 21, 2001

If you are interrupted while trying to cast a spell that uses a component, you will no longer use that component.http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20010221a.html

Are components being consumed for everything else? i.e. Cast a symbol on someone and move around to interrupt. See if a gem disappears.

Anyone have information about how charged item interrupts should be handled?

Uthgaard
12-16-2011, 03:24 PM
It depends on the item. There's a sticky in the bug forum of items that use reagents right now. Most of the ones that are using one shouldn't use a reagent, but aren't updated yet. Aside from that, regularly interrupted casting isn't consuming reagents.

Nirgon
12-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Could be related to this...if charges are regarded as components.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20010221a.html

Are components being consumed for everything else? i.e. Cast a symbol on someone and move around to interrupt. See if a gem disappears.

Anyone have information about how charged item interrupts should be handled?

Item charge and reagent should only be consumed upon a spell completion.

Put it this way, should a spell (cast manually not from an item) consume mana/a reagant or have fizzle chance if a player is out of range? No, ok. So now, when it is used from an item why does it consume things? I think that's a pretty good train of logic.

Szeth
12-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Look at it from a lore standpoint Nirgon. You control your own will to cast a spell, but you physically cannot do it if the target is out of range.

You USE an item which in turn processes it's effect. The item is not sentient, if you activate it it will process it's effect regardless of whether or not it will successfully work. Thus clicking a midnight mallet would sent it's effect *towards* the target but not reach it. That would be how I reason it out.

Kringe
12-16-2011, 09:14 PM
We definitely want to address http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=3674 As well... Very easy to farm, very cheap to recharge..

Silikten
12-17-2011, 03:23 AM
Look at it from a lore standpoint Nirgon. You control your own will to cast a spell, but you physically cannot do it if the target is out of range.

You USE an item which in turn processes it's effect. The item is not sentient, if you activate it it will process it's effect regardless of whether or not it will successfully work. Thus clicking a midnight mallet would sent it's effect *towards* the target but not reach it. That would be how I reason it out.

Good. Pumice always lost a charge if YOU missed.