PDA

View Full Version : Spell: Root

Snukie
12-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Im not sure if it is intended or not, so ill post here first before i start running several tests to deliver data to the devs. Im not sure if its a bug.

I play several classes that use the Spell Root and i noticed that while on my chanter Root hardly ever breaks no matter how much dmg or how hard the mob gets beaten. 8/10 Chanter Root sticks thru the whole time, on the other hand if i use root on my Wizard or Cleric it tends to break 9/10 even by the slight amount of dmg.

The Luck factor can be ruled out by now i have played all 3 classes equaly over the last 3 Weeks and i can safely say there is a difference althought it should be the same spell.

So i was wondering does the mechanic differs from class to class? Does CHA play a role for root? I thought only MR of the victim and the Hits (not DMG) it recieves terminate the duration.

I hardly use mez on non casting mobs on my chanter since root holds way longer, while im having a hard time soloing the wizard cause of root often breaking after the first cast or even before.

ChubbyBubbles
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Can you post some logs or parses to show that the root holds longer on your chanter vrs your other chars?

=)

This probably belongs in bugs section also.

Snukie
12-15-2011, 02:26 PM
I am not sure if it is a bug thats why i wanted to clarify if the mechanic is the same for all classes before i spend time testing.

Slave
12-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Root is Root, it should behave identically through all classes. No class should be stronger at casting or 'holding' Root than others.

Sounds like you might have found an important clue to the answer to the Root issue.

Snukie
12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
@Slave yeah thats what i thought. I first thought that CHA might take influence since CHA is the only stat that is much higher on my chant than on my wiz.

I will deliver a statistic by using one mob that is of the same lvl and then cast 100 roots and dmg them on the same amount. Since both my chanter and wiz are the same lvl.

For the wiz i will use Frost Rift and for the chanter Chaotic Feedback since both spells do the same amount of dmg.

The dmg deliverd shouldnt matter thought. If i remember correctly Root has a chance to break to matter how much dmg is deliverd.

Diggles
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it's a certain percentage. I can have roots that will last through an entire mana bar of spells and roots that will break after the first cast.

Snukie
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes but as I said on my chanter it most always sticks like forever.

Albane
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
They should give bash a chance to interrupt all casting for 30 seconds (of course, you could stand there for 3 seconds and pumice it off). Would make casters understand how OP root is on this server, in it's current form.

I hope you guys can figure out the exact cause Roots weird behavior.

mourning
12-15-2011, 03:11 PM
tash

djdownward
12-15-2011, 03:22 PM
tash

Not this.

My shaman will cast malise on a mob when I want to root or poison it, and it seems like regardless of malise being on the mob or not, root sucks for my troll shaman. Sucks meaning mob will either resist or break in a few ticks with or without a dot or damage being used at all.

However his charisma sucks, and I never roll with a cha buff unless I'm vendoring.

Look more into this please.

Snukie
12-15-2011, 03:22 PM
no. Tash helps only the spell to land but doesent effect the duration. I already tested it with the chanter. Once it landed it either breaks during the first 5 secs or it sticks forever

Running the tests right now will have statistics in a couple of hours.

pickled_heretic
12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
if you are tashing every mob you root, of course root is going to last longer on your enchanter. every damaging spell gives the mob a chance to save against root in addition to their normal chance once every six seconds. it's far harder to make this save if you're rolling at a -10 to -40 mr penalty.

pickled_heretic
12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
no. Tash helps only the spell to land but doesent effect the duration.

False. MR affects both the initial resist chance and the subsequent duration.

Diggles
12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
gief tash to wiz pls

Snukie
12-15-2011, 03:26 PM
They should give bash a chance to interrupt all casting for 30 seconds (of course, you could stand there for 3 seconds and pumice it off). Would make casters understand how OP root is on this server, in it's current form.

I hope you guys can figure out the exact cause Roots weird behavior.

Keep PvP out of this....for now i talking about a potential bug and you about balance.

Snukie
12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
False. MR affects both the initial resist chance and the subsequent duration.

Thats what i thought. A couple of days ago i stoped using tash to root. I pull with choke root then tash for debuff. Ive seen no difference in duration or resist rate. On my wiz thought it gets resisted very often same with breaks. Thats the reason for my initial post i first thought my chanter has some lucky charm but there is a pattern.

pickled_heretic
12-15-2011, 03:35 PM
No... you misunderstand me. If tash is *ON* the mob, it affects the duration. doesn't matter if tash was there when you first cast root, or if you cast it after root was applied.

Null
12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Root breaks 20% of the time from non-dot, non-ds, non-root spell damage.

Doors
12-15-2011, 03:45 PM
66% of the time, it works every time.

http://mimg.ugo.com/201101/6/9/3/162396/cuts/anchorman-pantherpiss_528_poster.jpg

Albane
12-15-2011, 03:51 PM
66% of the time, it works every time.

http://mimg.ugo.com/201101/6/9/3/162396/cuts/anchorman-pantherpiss_528_poster.jpg

Smells like Bigfoot's dick!

Snukie
12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Root breaks 20% of the time from non-dot, non-ds, non-root spell damage.

Thanks for the clarifaction. Thread might be locked now.

Slave
12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
IE, root breaks 20% of the time (very cool to know, ty Null) on being hit with a spell if it has an initial Direct Damage component. It should not break to DOT damage unless the DOT has an initial DD (There was actually an improved chance of this happening if the spell was fire-based, this was probably added around Luclin iirc).

Root is ALSO supposed to check to break every 6 seconds against MR. Which means that Tash will definitely affect the chance of it breaking each 6 seconds.

Nirgon
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Heart beat ticks do need to go back in for root in pvp.

I have root, I'm not a pet class and asking for this because that is how this is supposed to work.

Hairybuttwhole
12-16-2011, 01:12 AM
wow snukie must be an occupier

Snukie
12-16-2011, 03:57 AM
hmm?