PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: PvP exp loss

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 05:33 PM
As it stands right now, the experience lost in PvP is so miniscule that it is as if it didn't exist. At lower levels this isn't much of an issue, but at 40+ this quickly becomes a major issue.

Why? Much of 40+ pvp is about controlling zones, camps, exp locations, etc. With exp loss the way it is people aren't scared of dying. If you kill someone they will be bound 30 seconds away and just keep coming at you until you get tired of wasting all your mana/time on them. You can't train them out. And they won't leave if you just keep killing them.

That is why there needs to be a PENALTY in place for dying.

Loot n scoot does not work. It is hard to enforce for GMs, ignored when GMs arent on, and is just a pansy ass way of settling things.
Item loot works until people just bag their shit and keep rushing you. It aldo discourages new players.
EXP loss stops naked bind rushers and geared bind rushers. It is a great system. The downside is new players are easily discouraged at lowet levels.

The solution I propose is to drastically increase PvP death exp at higher lvels. Make it equal to a PvE death. Allow the lower levels to retain their minor exp loss. This keeps the new players around and gives real meaning to fights at higher levels.

What level would be most appropriate for this? 35? 40?

Palemoon
12-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry its working as intended.

Increase xp loss with pvp and pvp will dry up, you will learn the meaning of people avoiding pvp.

Winning in pvp is about zone control, not delevling someone. Don't pretend people are bind rushing you and not careing about the xp loss each time.

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Would also like to mention that exp loss was the concensus death penalty chosen by players/staff - but it is not doing its job at higher levels because the exp loss is only like .5%.

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Sorry its working as intended.

Increase xp loss with pvp and pvp will dry up, you will learn the meaning of people avoiding pvp.

Winning in pvp is about zone control, not delevling someone. Don't pretend people are bind rushing you and not careing about the xp loss each time.

You can't control a zone, camp, or exp spot when spmeone refuses to leave. I am not pretending. Several times this week in Misty I wpuld kill someone 2, 3, 4, even 5 times plus them gating. They would return over and over again because killing them did not matter and they were not afraid of 10th of a BLUE exp hit if they died.

PvP will still exist at high levels with exp loss, stop being willfully ignorant. People want meaningful PvP, not your lets bind rush eachothet until someone has to log pvp.

How do you make someone leave if you encourage bind rushing by not having a penalty?

Lazortag
12-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Lots of players vehemently opposed having any exp loss at all. Now players want it higher. I think it's fine where it is.

Several times this week in Misty I wpuld kill someone 2, 3, 4, even 5 times plus them gating. They would return over and over again because killing them did not matter and they were not afraid of 10th of a BLUE exp hit if they died.

Um, so they were a caster? You realize casters respawn with no mana when they die from pvp right? If they're bound there then you can just bind camp them until they leave. Working as intended.

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Lots of players vehemently opposed having any exp loss at all. Now players want it higher. I think it's fine where it is.

Um, so they were a caster? You realize casters respawn with no mana when they die from pvp right? If they're bound there then you can just bind camp them until they leave. Working as intended.

Please tell me how to bind camp a hybrid bound in rivervale and a necro bound in Runnyeye/Gorge when I'm a shaman. I don't have the mana, I have to regen too. Maybe of they lost ANYTHING at all when they died they wpuldn't need to be bind camped. They would leave after dying over and over rushing me every 5-8 minutes.

mitic
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
exp-loss definitely needs to be raised, right now noone is scared about to die (except meles maybe, those ones bound on the other side of the world)

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Also, it's the system the STAFF chose. Noone cares that you're a walking dirtnap that dies 25 times a day. The staff picked exp loss to avoid situations like this.

Fact: not working as intended.

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
exp-loss definitely needs to be raised, right now noone is scared about to die (except meles maybe bound on the other side of the world)

This. With casters being able to bind anywhere killing them accomplishes nothing. They respawn and med at the same speed as you. Eventually you're out of mana...

Is that the kind of real PvP you keep talking abput palemoon?

Lazortag
12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the point of exp loss isn't to enforce LNS in every single case. The point is to encourage LNS and discourage bind rushing. Beyond doing that and making casters respawn with no mana, there's not much else the devs can do except make the penalty ridiculously high (which seriously frustrates casual players and will probably make many of them quit), or just ban bind rushing altogether. Obviously no one is going to support the devs banning bind rushing.

The higher you make the exp loss for pvp, the more you will disappoint casual players. You have one half of the server saying that exp loss is bad and the other half saying that exp loss should be raised. What are the devs supposed to do? I think it's fine to keep the exp loss as it is. If you can't handle bind rushing with all the mechanisms currently in place to combat it, too bad :p

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the point of exp loss isn't to enforce LNS in every single case. The point is to encourage LNS and discourage bind rushing.

Except right now it doesn't do either because it's broken and you don't losr meaningful exp.

Beyond doing that and making casters respawn with no mana, there's not much else the devs can do except make the penalty ridiculously high (which seriously frustrates casual players and will probably make many of them quit), or just ban bind rushing altogether. Obviously no one is going to support the devs banning bind rushing.

What about the casual players that don't care about dying and want to just bind at the camp and keep attacking you? Are they above losing exp because they are "casual"?

The higher you make the exp loss for pvp, the more you will disappoint casual players. You have one half of the server saying that exp loss is bad and the other half saying that exp loss should be raised. What are the devs supposed to do? I think it's fine to keep the exp loss as it is. If you can't handle bind rushing with all the mechanisms currently in place to combat it, too bad :p

You keep saying its fine as is but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't exist as is. The staff and players settled on exp loss. Right now there is NOTHING and it's quite obvious how happy you are playing in your hello kittu rainbow carebear land where you can die, afk, and bind wherever and however much you want without consequence.

What mechanisms? Training illegal. Cant bind camp forever as mana dependent caster.

Daefuin
12-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I am all for server growth and not griefing new players off the server. A scaling exp loss system gives time to adjust to a PvP server.

Darwoth
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
currently pvp on the emu has as much meaning as wow pvp, there is no reward when you win (coin isnt worth much and seldom does anyone have any) and no penalty when you lose (2 notches of a blue? lol)

to make matters worse is that people keep their mana when they die, so you actually lose more time killing a bindrusher by using your mana to kill them than they do by refusing to leave and letting you kill them until your low on mana where they promptly mem some spells and become the pain in the ass that xp loss was meant to prevent them from being.

xp loss on pvp death should be the same as pve death, at the very minimum it should be a full blue.

Nizzarr
12-14-2011, 10:59 AM
For once I can agree with darwoth here -- This will be problematic when zerg guild like holocaust all bind rush for raid targets.

It takes like 30 pvp death to lose 50 as it stands right now, and you can get full 50 in like an hour of exping.

Daefuin
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
This is something virtually every higher level player has experienced and agrees with. You cannot control a camp vs some shitfuck that binds there and doesnt mind dying 20 times til you are oom

Slave
12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
You have one half of the server saying that exp loss is bad and the other half saying that exp loss should be raised.

Read the poll again, Captain Fabulous.

currently pvp on the emu has as much meaning as wow pvp, there is no reward when you win (coin isnt worth much and seldom does anyone have any) and no penalty when you lose (2 notches of a blue? lol)

to make matters worse is that people keep their mana when they die, so you actually lose more time killing a bindrusher by using your mana to kill them than they do by refusing to leave and letting you kill them until your low on mana where they promptly mem some spells and become the pain in the ass that xp loss was meant to prevent them from being.

xp loss on pvp death should be the same as pve death, at the very minimum it should be a full blue.

I am agreeing with Darwoth in a thread.

Daefuin
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Bump. Concensus awaiting developer response

Leftoverture
12-15-2011, 11:22 PM
This is a pvp server, no one wants to have to keep grinding perpetually to pvp at 50 with a shit ass xp rate

Daefuin
12-15-2011, 11:25 PM
This is a pvp server, no one wants to have to keep grinding perpetually to pvp at 50 with a shit ass xp rate

Then what kind of death penalty or mechanism do you propose in order to prevent bind rushing? Or weee lets all bind at evil eye and play instant respawn counterstrike!