PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Dotted mobs walking back to spawn when they lose aggro

DoucLangur
12-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Is that working as intended? I seem to remember vividly that I used snare to split camps on live as a necro: I would snare the mob I wanted to get single, run far out from the camp until it was out of social assist range, with adds chasing me, then FD and wait til adds roamed back (always first).

The dotted mob would not move until the last dot wore off. So I had plenty of time to reset aggro and tag it single.

I am currently xping again in the Karanas and found that with 3 centaurs after me, the one that I snared would walk back even before one of the others did...

So I was wondering if this is working as intended. Otherwise: Fix please ;)

Slozem / Maliciosa

DoucLangur
12-12-2011, 09:14 PM
anyone?

Migs351
12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
As long as the snare is on, it should not run. So if it's running back while still snared, that's an bug for sure. But just being dotted wouldn't stop a mob from running back I know that.

DoucLangur
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I wasn't sure whether the reason for not walking back was the actual snare, or the loss of hitpoints each tic - thus my wording.

I do remember it being just for snare but I could not think of a reason why snare would have that effect and dots not - since snared mobs can still move above 10% or so :) Depending on snare.

Please try this yourself if you want - on centaurs in the centaur village, north karana. I am pretty sure it is 100% reproducible.

Xadion
12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Mobs innate runspeeds on this server seem a smidgen higher than usual.

the snare has to be more % -speed than their innate run/walk speed -i.e- thats the reason they would not walk back to repop.

Snare splitting was never 100% as the mobs would path back, usualy slowly- unless the mob was a "slow walking" mob and the snare was high enuff -speed to keep it from "walking"

Migs351
12-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Mobs innate runspeeds on this server seem a smidgen higher than usual.

the snare has to be more % -speed than their innate run/walk speed -i.e- thats the reason they would not walk back to repop.

Snare splitting was never 100% as the mobs would path back, usualy slowly- unless the mob was a "slow walking" mob and the snare was high enuff -speed to keep it from "walking"

No offense, but I don't find any part your post true at all. The normal base run speeds on the server seem just right, you can strafe away from mobs, but not simply run directly away. As to the rest, MAYBE the lower level snare spells caused them to run back very slowly, but I specifically remember just about ANY snare (regardless of class) would hold them in place as if it was rooted, it would turn away as if trying to run, but not move at all.

This is how sk's split pulled most of the time: snare a mob, FD, wait for others to go back, stand up, check agro (re-FD if necessary), then let the snare (which, for sk and necro's, is a dot) hit the mob for the dot tick and return to the group or if they are soloing, just kill it or whatever...

Here's what I think the problem is in an example... a snare is... lets say -55%, the mobs run speed is 100%, so in essence a snare on a normal mob not returning to spawn point or low on HP is 100% - 55% which = 45% run speed. Now mobs running back would run back to their spawn or place of origin would run at let's just say it's 50% (close enough to whatever it is), so the reason the snare worked to split them was because 50% - 55% = -5% or in other words 0% or less ultimately equaling a root.

Some would argue that it's multiplicative, which if you use multiplicative math on a "returning to origin" mob then 55%(snare) from the 50%(returning to point of origin) = 22.5% (Implicit Percentage... (0.5 - (0.5 x 0.55)) )

The numbers are just an example, the point is the mob is moving slower, but not rooted. Now, that is probably what it's doing on EQEMU servers or at least here on P99. Which is why you don't see a difference on a regular snare on an active agroed mob. The mob is at 100% run speed, so regardless of type of math done it's 45% (on a 55% snare) but this isn't the correct way it should be(or WAS) for "returning to origin" mobs.

So it's currently doing the Text implied multiplicative math, when on live they probably just did a simple subtraction. (or addition, depending on how you look at it)

Regardless of the math involved... I know for a fact that split pulling as mentioned here, was possible with snares, as I used to do so on my SK without "re-working" just by using the snare as a "root" on those types of pulls.

Xadion
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
umm k..duder rock on

uygi
12-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Not sure what all the above is really saying...

Mobs "walk" when they go home. Snare (any Druid/Ranger, or Dooming+ for Necro/SK) reduces their movement speed enough that their speed when walking is reduced to zero. The DoT component is unrelated to the mechanism used to split, and actually makes splitting a lot harder. Snare splits would be insanely OP if there were a class that could cast a no-DoT snare and then FD.

DoucLangur
12-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Mobs "walk" when they go home. Snare (any Druid/Ranger, or Dooming+ for Necro/SK) reduces their movement speed enough that their speed when walking is reduced to zero.

This makes perfect sense - could we implement it like that? @DEVS? Like - substract the snare percentage of max run speed from the speed at which mobs would walk back to spawn? And see if that works as intended?

The DoT component is unrelated to the mechanism used to split, and actually makes splitting a lot harder. Snare splits would be insanely OP if there were a class that could cast a no-DoT snare and then FD.

You mean - like Insidious Retrogression? ;) I did that in Luclin quite a few times actually...

Cheers

Slozem