PDA

View Full Version : Hello there and some questions

Rorgar
04-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Hello everyone! New guy looking forward to logging in on the 16th. I played EQ in the 2000-2001 timeframe fairly casually (I'd probably call it almost hardcore these days though!) on Erollisi Marr. I think I quit right around the time Luclin came out. I played Rorgar the dwarf paladin and was in a small guild called Noble Heart. I have a few questions that I haven't found in any of the FAQs or the random threads I have been browsing though.

1 - I looked into Project 1999 a few months back, but had some difficulty getting the patcher to work. I think it had something to do with the university I go to (and get my internet access from) blocking the port, so I blew it off since I'd be playing by myself and had little MMO time to spare. Now, I have my wife and another old friend from EMarr interested in checking it out with me after reading the TenTonHammer article. With the server being down though, I haven't been able to verify if my technical problems have been resolved. If anyone has any generic advise about getting Project 1999 to work on a university campus, I'd be all ears.

2 - Hopefully, I can get another 1-2 friends to come back with me after I can confirm for them how great it is, but right now it will just be the 3. I am curious to hear some opinions on what a good trio would be for a group that wanted to start out reliving some of our old stomping grounds in Faydwer (in other words, probably looking to be mostly good races found there). I know we'll probably want some kind of tank or hybrid (thinking pally or warrior) and a healer-type (maybe cleric or druid), but beyond that I'm looking for some advise on what classes might be fun together.

3 - It sounds like the server has been out for a couple of years and I was curious about what the population feels like generally. In other words, how populated it feels compared to the 1999-2001 era. Is it a spamfest in East Commonlands like it was back in the day or not so much? Are there folks regularly running around Crushbone/Castle Mistmoore, etc.? Is there a broad spectrum of characters of various levels around? Particularly, I am curious about the low levels since that's where we'll be for a while at least.

4 - I read that a Kunark expansion is planned at some point. Is that coming up fairly soon or is it still a ways off?

5 - I heard something about an IP restriction, so no dual boxing is allowed. I think that is a great idea. After my experience with buffbots in DAoC, where they were quite prolific, I came to the conclusion that they are a detriment to the game. However, my wife and I want to play together and I read that there is a way to get an exemption. How do I go about doing that? Also, I am not sure if the university connection will complicate that answer or not. If it does, hopefully we won't have to wait until I graduate in May and we have our own internet connection to play on.

6 - We'd probably be interested in joining a guild at some point after getting our feet a bit wet. We'd be looking for a more casual/laidback guild of mature folks that is at least somewhat "family friendly." We'd probably be in no rush to race to the endgame, but rather more into enjoying the journey and exploring/progressing at a more casual pace. Any guilds out there that fit this profile and are recruiting I'd be interested in hearing from.

That's all I can think of for now. I apologize for the long post, that's just the way I am. Just wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions since I'm itching to roll up on the server once it is up.

Rorgar

President
04-13-2010, 02:40 AM
You don't use the patcher, that was probably your issue.

Server has been out since... October? I believe Kunark is still at minimum 3 months away probably more like 6... We don't really know for sure though.

Nedala
04-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Hello everyone! New guy looking forward to logging in on the 16th. I played EQ in the 2000-2001 timeframe fairly casually (I'd probably call it almost hardcore these days though!) on Erollisi Marr. I think I quit right around the time Luclin came out. I played Rorgar the dwarf paladin and was in a small guild called Noble Heart. I have a few questions that I haven't found in any of the FAQs or the random threads I have been browsing though.

1 - I looked into Project 1999 a few months back, but had some difficulty getting the patcher to work. I think it had something to do with the university I go to (and get my internet access from) blocking the port, so I blew it off since I'd be playing by myself and had little MMO time to spare. Now, I have my wife and another old friend from EMarr interested in checking it out with me after reading the TenTonHammer article. With the server being down though, I haven't been able to verify if my technical problems have been resolved. If anyone has any generic advise about getting Project 1999 to work on a university campus, I'd be all ears.

You should not use any patcher; if you follow al the steps at the setup guide correctly it should not open any patcher.

2 - Hopefully, I can get another 1-2 friends to come back with me after I can confirm for them how great it is, but right now it will just be the 3. I am curious to hear some opinions on what a good trio would be for a group that wanted to start out reliving some of our old stomping grounds in Faydwer (in other words, probably looking to be mostly good races found there). I know we'll probably want some kind of tank or hybrid (thinking pally or warrior) and a healer-type (maybe cleric or druid), but beyond that I'm looking for some advise on what classes might be fun together.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4674

3 - It sounds like the server has been out for a couple of years and I was curious about what the population feels like generally. In other words, how populated it feels compared to the 1999-2001 era. Is it a spamfest in East Commonlands like it was back in the day or not so much? Are there folks regularly running around Crushbone/Castle Mistmoore, etc.? Is there a broad spectrum of characters of various levels around? Particularly, I am curious about the low levels since that's where we'll be for a while at least.

The population is about 600+ players at peak times; im pretty new too (lvl22) and didnt have any problems to find groups until now. Didnt visit Mismoore yet but crushbone was relly packed when i was there. (30 peebs in crushbone is kinda too much for that small zone; but still better than empty)

EC is no trading place no more but NFP bank has plenty of peebs around trading stuff.

4 - I read that a Kunark expansion is planned at some point. Is that coming up fairly soon or is it still a ways off?

No idea on that sorry

5 - I heard something about an IP restriction, so no dual boxing is allowed. I think that is a great idea. After my experience with buffbots in DAoC, where they were quite prolific, I came to the conclusion that they are a detriment to the game. However, my wife and I want to play together and I read that there is a way to get an exemption. How do I go about doing that? Also, I am not sure if the university connection will complicate that answer or not. If it does, hopefully we won't have to wait until I graduate in May and we have our own internet connection to play on.

Ask for an expemtion in the petition forum, will take about a week until you get it i guess.

6 - We'd probably be interested in joining a guild at some point after getting our feet a bit wet. We'd be looking for a more casual/laidback guild of mature folks that is at least somewhat "family friendly." We'd probably be in no rush to race to the endgame, but rather more into enjoying the journey and exploring/progressing at a more casual pace. Any guilds out there that fit this profile and are recruiting I'd be interested in hearing from.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Hope you enjoy the server =)

Rorgar
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the helpful responses! See you in game sometime. :)