PDA

View Full Version : Exp Bonus

Xumosa
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
So just reading through alot of the posts and it seems some people love the exp bonus idea for a week and some hate it so I decided to start a poll to see numbers and a thread to get comments on the idea.

President
04-12-2010, 05:54 PM
http://gameinformer.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/31/4503.end_2D00_of_2D00_thread_5F00_do_2D00_not_2D00 _post_2D00_more.jpg

Eastwood
04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Why not? :)

Pyrocat
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Because it's not classic?

Phorest
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
The thing that is killing me, is i'll be out of town this weekend, then , leaving for the bahamas on Wednesday.. And i need to get all the company and house stuff done wayyyyy ahead on monday-tuesday meaning.. umm.. You guys have fun =(

Phorest
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
hehe i'll be having fun in the Bahamas..

Helnam
04-12-2010, 06:04 PM
It would be dumb if they put in a bonus for a week. All servers on live would go down all the time and no one got an exp bonus. People can wipe their tears and deal with it. Shit happens move on, don't ask for hand outs.

JaVeDK
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
There has been no lost time, because no one have been playing. You have put zero effort into your characters and yet you want to be rewarded/reimbursed? Why not just give everyone 10k or the choice between a manastone, Rubi BP or a DE mask?

I think this is silly, and it cheapens the experience and the essence of classical EQ.

ssyrax
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Agree... everyone is out the time, so we've lost nothing, no need to be re-imbursed, when it was not the Devs fault... Suck it up and move on.

Loke
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Eh, I don't really care. It's an excuse to finally make an alt I guess. The only people that this will really change anything for is the casual gamer as they might get a level or two... for everyone else it's only speeding up the inevitable by a few days.

mitic
04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/miticeq/god.jpg

nalkin
04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
There has been no lost time, because no one have been playing.

Exactly. I don't get it myself.

EDIT: But I don't really care what happens.

Ektar
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
...was this something proposed or just another thing brought up by someone of no authority on the server hoping for something?

Xumosa
04-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
Additionally, we will be having a bonus XP week for 1 Week after the server comes back up. All exp gained from kills will be increased 50%.

Proposed

Shrubwise
04-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Option #4: The devs already made their decision, it's 50% exp regardless of this poll, all the 50's are QQ'ing and all those who are not like the idea.

Tudana
04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I think its because the devs are on a time schedule with Kunark.

A week downtime for the whole server could have interfered with their timing for release, that the population level would need this boost to be ready....
/shrug meh, I dont know...

Oh well, I like the idea, im off on vacation all that week ;)

Taslion
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
It certainly isn't classic, but since I'm only level ten I'll like it.

I dunno, it'll attract people who were turned off from playing since the server was down, so maybe thats good.

Agaron
04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh well, I like the idea, im off on vacation all that week ;)

This is actually the reason I think it's a poor reason to have. Not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of a set week fairly. Everyone suffers, yet some will capitalize, and some will get screwed due to playing schedule. Set the exp bonus on a toon's played time instead, or don't do it at all imo.

Elendae
04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Exp is fast enough as it is. I purposely stop grouping sometimes to slow things down so I don't end up at 50 with not much to do.

alreadyhome
04-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Awesome!

xorbier
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Exp bonus... Bad idea.

bump

Ravun
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm just happy the servers are coming back up. IMO this is just the next thing people will bitch about because bitching about the servers being down will no longer be an option. The 50% bonus isn't a huge deal imo but it is a huge opportunity for everyone to have something new to QQ about :)

Heebee
04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
More than happy with this idea :)

Crover_CT99
04-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I should know better ... but,

Voted for shortened period of bonus xp. My classic roots don't like it, but I think it is a good hook for anyone who is on the fence about coming back.

There are bound to be those who (re)realized in the server's absence what a god awful drug classic EQ is. (see: me)

VincentVolaju
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I think its a great idea actually =) Make up for lost time, plus it could help bring people back who might have been drifting away from the server while its been down.

DevGrousis
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
*sigh* when the server being completely off line and no re start date set, we FINALLY get the news that the servers come back on! yaay! oh wait some people STILL want to fucking complain. STFU and dont play that week if its no 'classic' enough. dont use global chat, use the classic UI, sit in EC tunnel to sell. oh? stfu

Finawin
04-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Where's the option for "I'm a whiny bitch and want to complain about everything I can"?

DevGrousis
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
i kinda feel bad for that.. but still.. lol

jilena
04-12-2010, 09:02 PM
I could understand bitching about this if people were crying FOR it in the forums... But it's just Rogean trying to do something nice to make up for a week of downtime and yet people still bitch?

Also, the people bitching the least on this thread are those who have 50s. Just saying.

JxP
04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I think the bonus XP is a great idea.

Kletus
04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Definitely against it. I just started 2 weeks ago and my only character is a level 11 rogue. I didn't come here for EZexp, I came here to enjoy EverQuest Classic. Thanks for getting the servers up and I like this server a lot but if this goes through then I'll be offline for another week as I don't want to cheapen my experience. Sad thing is that all my friends will level up during this time and I won't be able to group with them. Hope this is a bad joke for April.

Budah
04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
It would be dumb if they put in a bonus for a week. All servers on live would go down all the time and no one got an exp bonus. People can wipe their tears and deal with it. Shit happens move on, don't ask for hand outs.

No one ASKED for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rog is GIVING it to us! We didn't WHINE or BITCH or COMPLAIN! Most of the community was quite supportive! This is a THANK YOU from the devs for being supportive, not a REWARD! OMFG!!!! I'M ABOUT TO BLOW A GASKET!!

yt2005
04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
If I had to vote I'd say no, but I honestly feel that this will matter so little in the long run... it's 50% exp, and it's for 7 days.

I hope for the server to be alive and well for so long that it will seem incredibly minor and inconsequential in retrospect.

...though I still plan on taking that week off http://e-mpire.com/images/smilies/shifty.gif

Bones
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
No one ASKED for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rog is GIVING it to us! We didn't WHINE or BITCH or COMPLAIN! Most of the community was quite supportive! This is a THANK YOU from the devs for being supportive, not a REWARD! OMFG!!!! I'M ABOUT TO BLOW A GASKET!!

It's cool bro. I highly doubt anything will be changed anyways.
Everybody needs to chill and have a glass of some of my...
http://www.1-877-spirits.com/store/images/large/Appleton-Estate-Extra-lg.jpg

Budah
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
It's cool bro. I highly doubt anything will be changed anyways.
Everybody needs to chill and have a glass of some of my...
http://www.1-877-spirits.com/store/images/large/Appleton-Estate-Extra-lg.jpg

*pants* sorry... I, uh, don't know what happened.... I'll take a swig of that though =D

It's 10pm, my fiance is sleeping, and I am HIGHLY considering going out to get some alchy... Jack or morgans... hmmmmmmmmmm both? =D

DevGrousis
04-12-2010, 10:07 PM
*pants* sorry... I, uh, don't know what happened.... I'll take a swig of that though =D

It's 10pm, my fiance is sleeping, and I am HIGHLY considering going out to get some alchy... Jack or morgans... hmmmmmmmmmm both? =D

take it easy lol

Bones
04-12-2010, 10:08 PM

Both is good
Make sure you polish them off before you get home.

Budah
04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Both is good
Make sure you polish them off before you get home.

hm, not so sure you're setting me up for success here bones... lots of cops around my neighborhood =D

Zithax
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I wouldnt mind a double exp weekend here and there to celebrate something, but I dont know if exp here really deserves more than that. Maybe take away class exp penalties instead yo

Shmeeggeggy
04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Guys, it is 50%, not 3x or 4x exp for a week, it isn't going to be like there are insta 50s running around in two days. The bonus is going to be a drop in the bucket, instead of doing a level a day, I could do a level and a half a day, big whoop.

guineapig
04-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Eh, I don't really care. It's an excuse to finally make an alt I guess. The only people that this will really change anything for is the casual gamer as they might get a level or two... for everyone else it's only speeding up the inevitable by a few days.

this^^^

I call it alt week!!!

Ektar
04-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey guys. So I didn't read this thread, nor the original thread where this was originally proposed, so flame my face if someone already said this.

As this idea was proposed by he who is bound to keep the server as classic as he can, there's likely a reason this has to the benefit of the server's mission. And that is this: they're trying to keep the server's schedule on track.

Let's say posky was coming out on april 25th. Level 40 people just lost 2 weeks of leveling to 46. To be fair to those people (and others for whatever other reasons), the timeline would have to be delayed 2 weeks for the lost time. With this exp bonus, the timelost in the timeline is made up for (enough, at least, to warrant not pushing back the timeline).

jilena
04-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I just find this shit to be a bit on the disturbingly ungrateful side.

I am glad I don't know some of you IRL. You're like the kind of neighbors that invite themselves over for dinner and then bitch about what's on the menu.

Jaytee
04-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey guys. So I didn't read this thread, nor the original thread where this was originally proposed, so flame my face if someone already said this.

As this idea was proposed by he who is bound to keep the server as classic as he can, there's likely a reason this has to the benefit of the server's mission. And that is this: they're trying to keep the server's schedule on track.

Let's say posky was coming out on april 25th. Level 40 people just lost 2 weeks of leveling to 46. To be fair to those people (and others for whatever other reasons), the timeline would have to be delayed 2 weeks for the lost time. With this exp bonus, the timelost in the timeline is made up for (enough, at least, to warrant not pushing back the timeline).

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. With that in mind they should cut the respawn time on raid mobs in half for 1 week!

mudvayne1812
04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. With that in mind they should cut the respawn time on raid mobs in half for 1 week!

^this

snifs
04-13-2010, 12:02 AM
I voted no, I worked hard to get to 42, and would like to continue at the same pace...

Not a big deal either way really, but the only problem I have with it is the mass PL that's going to take place.

If it gets to the point where everyone and their mom is PL'n alts, and the normal groups can't find mobs and it just ends up a mess. That would be quite an annoyance to come back to after 2 weeks off.

Putrid
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
maybe its so the DDOSer will stop?

Finawin
04-13-2010, 12:22 AM

I am glad I don't know some of you IRL. You're like the kind of neighbors that invite themselves over for dinner and then bitch about what's on the menu.

That's exactly like this.

Loke
04-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I voted no because I'm a jerk. Also, Loke is dashingly attractive.

hrm?

mudvayne1812
04-13-2010, 12:26 AM
hrm?

I see what you did there.

Ektar
04-13-2010, 12:27 AM

heh well. I did say enough to warrant not pushing back the timeline. This being enough to warrant keeping the timeline on track (whether it is or is not is not the point), there's no need to make spawn timers cut in half and open up that potential clusterfuck as well.

mudvayne1812
04-13-2010, 12:34 AM
heh well. I did say enough to warrant not pushing back the timeline. This being enough to warrant keeping the timeline on track (whether it is or is not is not the point), there's no need to make spawn timers cut in half and open up that potential clusterfuck as well.

Aww Ektar, this would mean we might be able to spend lots more quality time hanging out with 68 other dudes for a couple raid mobs... You're just avoiding me again aren't you?

choklo
04-13-2010, 12:49 AM

QFT

We could also bitch about the fact that many of us didn't know that p1999 existed in time to cash in on manastones, rubi bp's, jboots, deceiver masks, etc.

This is not a game changer, but a drop in the bucket to thank us for our support.

I tried playing peq and the EZ server during the downtime. What a drag. I couldn't stand it more than an hour to two-and I was desperate.

Give the devs a break and stop bitching. They are giving us the best EQ experience for free.

stormlord
04-13-2010, 03:44 AM
I voted no because I don't need extra experience. On the other hand, if we get it, I'd think about it for all of 5 seconds then just play. On the other hand, the fact that a bonus exp week was brought up shows you the mentality of the people running the server. As for those that want it, all I can say is that one day you'll have your level 50 and everything you ever wanted, but you're not likely to be any more happy than you're today. We tell that to kids without even blinking, but forget to tell that to ourselves.

If it were me, I'd just push back the date that Kunark is launched by a week or two.

Imagine if we lost 11/12 months. So for one month the server ran with 12x experience. Do you think that would make up for the 11 lost months?? I don't. Why? Because you can only fit so much time in 1 month to make friends, and all the experience bonus in the world won't get you 11 months of memories.

whitebandit
04-13-2010, 03:57 AM
*sigh* when the server being completely off line and no re start date set, we FINALLY get the news that the servers come back on! yaay! oh wait some people STILL want to fucking complain. STFU and dont play that week if its no 'classic' enough. dont use global chat, use the classic UI, sit in EC tunnel to sell. oh? stfu

that ^^

Omnimorph
04-13-2010, 04:29 AM
I can see it from both views, the people who have done the work did it classic style and want everyone else to do the same. People who missed the train at the beginning appreciate the chance to catch up. The neutral is... neutral.

I'm bordering on the neutral, I would like to preserve the classic experience because anything that makes the game easier reminds me of the abomination that is live eq with everything made already for you, where you rush to max level asap and miss out on some good content.

I was level 20-30 for a very long time, in this i experienced in every place imaginable (uguk, sola, SK, MM etc.) and this was mutliple weeks with mutliple groups of people. I ended up getting most of my levels in a single hardcore sola group through out that. But if it had been double exp, my 20s to 30 would have been over with in probably 1 session. I'd have missed out on a bunch of fun groups and going to different places.

Course i would also have missed out on a bunch of pain in the ass deaths, pointless time being LFG etc. so... to summise, i'm just happy the servers coming up again, whether it's 50% or not, i'll take what i can get.

jilena
04-13-2010, 04:32 AM
So here we are, over at Rogean's house for dinner. He's planning on cookin up some burgers on the grill for everyone to eat. He's got tons of ground beef, all nice and seasoned up and formed into patties. Just as he's about to toss them on the grill an Erudite with red shoes and gold teeth runs up and knocks the tray of burgers out of Rogean's hands and into a giant pile of dogshit before disappearing off somewhere to rape halflings and such... There is no way the burgers can be salvaged and everyone is upset.

So Rogean being the nice guy that he is, says he's just gonna run up to the store and grab some more meat if everyone can just chill for a second. Most all of the guests are cool with this and place the blame solely on the Erudite with red shoes and gold teeth where it belongs. So Rogean takes off for the store to get more meat while the guests patiently chill out and talk about random topics; such as how having conversations with people not in your immediate vicinity is bullshit and should be outlawed.

When he gets to the store Rogean is like, "You know what? Everyone was being so nice about this, to hell with burgers, it's time for some serious business steak! I'll make the wait worth their while!". So while he didn't have to Rogean purchases a bunch of steaks and whistling happily returns home expecting his guests to be overjoyed.

He gets into the kitchen, busts out some herbs and spices and announces there will soon be steak for all. A few of the guests seem excited but for the most part the rest seem a bit sullen. Thinking it a bit weird but not knowing what to do Rogean heads back to the grill and starts cooking up the steaks.

Before the first steak can even safely be called "rare" the sullon guests line up and approach Rogean one by one... "I really wanted burgers...", "Seriously, I am not used to food this expensive my life will be ruined", "If god wanted me to eat steak he would have had Obama give me a better job than head fry cook at the local McDonalds...", "What were you thinking? You can't promise burgers then just hand out steak!", "Steak is not classic..."

Distraught and unsure what to do and hurt by how ungrateful his guests are Rogean ushers everyone back in the house, turns on the gas, waits a bit while the guests mill about still looking sullon, and then strikes a match blowing himself and everyone to bits.

The world was a better place thanks to Rogean's brave sacrifice.

Yay!

Heebee
04-13-2010, 04:56 AM
So here we are, over at Rogean's house for dinner. He's planning on cookin up some burgers on the grill for everyone to eat. He's got tons of ground beef, all nice and seasoned up and formed into patties. Just as he's about to toss them on the grill an Erudite with red shoes and gold teeth runs up and knocks the tray of burgers out of Rogean's hands and into a giant pile of dogshit before disappearing off somewhere to rape halflings and such... There is no way the burgers can be salvaged and everyone is upset.

So Rogean being the nice guy that he is, says he's just gonna run up to the store and grab some more meat if everyone can just chill for a second. Most all of the guests are cool with this and place the blame solely on the Erudite with red shoes and gold teeth where it belongs. So Rogean takes off for the store to get more meat while the guests patiently chill out and talk about random topics; such as how having conversations with people not in your immediate vicinity is bullshit and should be outlawed.

When he gets to the store Rogean is like, "You know what? Everyone was being so nice about this, to hell with burgers, it's time for some serious business steak! I'll make the wait worth their while!". So while he didn't have to Rogean purchases a bunch of steaks and whistling happily returns home expecting his guests to be overjoyed.

He gets into the kitchen, busts out some herbs and spices and announces there will soon be steak for all. A few of the guests seem excited but for the most part the rest seem a bit sullen. Thinking it a bit weird but not knowing what to do Rogean heads back to the grill and starts cooking up the steaks.

Before the first steak can even safely be called "rare" the sullon guests line up and approach Rogean one by one... "I really wanted burgers...", "Seriously, I am not used to food this expensive my life will be ruined", "If god wanted me to eat steak he would have had Obama give me a better job than head fry cook at the local McDonalds...", "What were you thinking? You can't promise burgers then just hand out steak!", "Steak is not classic..."

Distraught and unsure what to do and hurt by how ungrateful his guests are Rogean ushers everyone back in the house, turns on the gas, waits a bit while the guests mill about still looking sullon, and then strikes a match blowing himself and everyone to bits.

Yay!

Best post ever on this forum.

Intricus
04-13-2010, 05:26 AM
Option #4: The devs already made their decision, it's 50% exp regardless of this poll, all the 50's are QQ'ing and all those who are not like the idea.

My only toon just hit 20 before server went down, and I am not in favor of the bonus.

VincentVolaju
04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
50% bonus for a week is a good choice given the recent situations with the server. One obviously is its going to be down for almost 2 weeks and doing this is a way to say "Hey thanks for sticking around guys, heres a little bonus for a week".

Another reason is the server was just announced on tentonhammer thing right? So as soon as its announced the server goes down and all the new players we might have had are prob discouraged to give it a shot now, well the xp bonus might convince them anyway to try it out for a week knowing they'll level a little quicker. Then once they play for a week, they'll be hooked like the rest of us!

And really, its just one week, in the end whats that really matter? Its not even like its double or triple exp or anything, its 50% for one week. Not that big of a deal.

Nedala
04-13-2010, 05:41 AM

Yay!

Awesome post; poor rogean :(

Y all should be quiet now and appreciate the present he made. Even if you absolutely hate it, its just a week it wont stay ;)

JaVeDK
04-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Jilnea and others you need to take it easy, stop jumping to conclusions and actually try reading what people post.

I haven't seen anyone yet whine or bitch about the 50% exp bonus. People are just in disagreement with the idea and expressing their opinions, and in a pretty mature and respectful manner I might add. No one is ungrateful, and everyone appreciate all the hard work done by Rogean and his team.

If anyone here is bitching and acting less than civil it's you and some of the other pro-exp bonus people. You need to understand that people disagreeing with you aren't necessarily whining, wrong or idiots, and their point of view - if expressed politely - deserves as much respect as your opinion does, and not ridicule or scorn.

ssyrax
04-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Wow, JaVeDK Beat me to the punch. Damn you! I am not in support of the bonus exp, it does not mean I am any less grateful of the exp week. I fully support Rogean and Nilbog and Secrets and everyone else involved in running this server, I LOOOOOVE this server. That doesn't mean I am going to agree 100% with everything they do. Yes I am lvl 50, No it really doesn't effect me, I just don't want it to be the first step on a slippery slope. I think they made a good judgement call by making it only 50% and not double, I think they made a bad judgement call on the length of time they are implementing it for. Would it make me quit? No. Would it make me dislike the server? No. But I do not agree with it. If nobody got ahead during the last week, I don't see why its necessary....

To those that say its a thankyou for standing by them, thats ridiculous imo. If you like the game you are going to stick around, you aren't sticking around to make the dev's feel better, you are sticking around because YOU WANT TO. I got by for years without EQ, 1 week won't kill me.

Isphet
04-13-2010, 06:12 AM
I think everyone should take their 50% XP bonus and be glad that Rogean isn't making everyone Halflings for the week.

ssyrax
04-13-2010, 06:18 AM
I think everyone should take their 50% XP bonus and be glad that Rogean isn't making everyone Halflings for the week.

LOL! Touche!

jilena
04-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Jilnea and others you need to take it easy, stop jumping to conclusions and actually try reading what people post.

I haven't seen anyone yet whine or bitch about the 50% exp bonus. People are just in disagreement with the idea and expressing their opinions, and in a pretty mature and respectful manner I might add. No one is ungrateful, and everyone appreciate all the hard work done by Rogean and his team.

If anyone here is bitching and acting less than civil it's you and some of the other pro-exp bonus people. You need to understand that people disagreeing with you aren't necessarily whining, wrong or idiots, and their point of view - if expressed politely - deserves as much respect as your opinion does, and not ridicule or scorn.

Some random quotes:

Why not just give everyone 10k or the choice between a manastone, Rubi BP or a DE mask? I think this is silly, and it cheapens the experience and the essence of classical EQ.

Agree... everyone is out the time, so we've lost nothing, no need to be re-imbursed, when it was not the Devs fault... Suck it up and move on.

I haven't played a single bit yet on this server, because I only found out about it during this downtime period. That said, an XP bonus for a week is just stupid.

I'm sure The GMs/Devs/PJ99 team all knew people were going to gripe about the 50% exp bonus. They were smart enough to come up with the best classic EMU so far, so I'm sure that unlike you 2, and many others, they are smart enough to realize that not everybody thinks the same way, hence people are going to have different views on things, which of course will lead to complaints. It's human nature. We like to complain. Get the fuck over it.

I am not saying that every post that disagrees with the idea is insulting but...yeah...

Perhaps I was simply raised differently than some of you. When someone does something nice for me even if it isn't exactly what I want, and assuming it doesn't hurt me in any serious way I smile and say thank you and go about my business. Please tell me that 50% more exp for a whole 7 days is seriously going to ruin Project 1999 for anyone. It isn't. I don't care one way or the other, I have no issues levelling as slowly or as quickly as I want.

Just some of the posts seem a bit ungrateful and/or rude *shrug*

mitic
04-13-2010, 07:05 AM
i have the solution!

make exp pots / 24h duration each .. pots being rejected by "classic ppl" will be given to me since i came up with this brilliant idea

would be a win win for everyone!

discuss

JaVeDK
04-13-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't really think the gift analogy works very well here.

It's more like this:

Due to a nation wide power surge, no one is able to work for a week. During that week food and utilities were free too, so no one actually lost anything, but instead gained some time to spend with their loved ones, or however they chose.

Now to "make up for this" the President announces that for the following week no work will be taxed. You think "that's nice for me". But perhaps it's not very fiscally responsible, or the best idea for the government or country as a whole, if you look at the big picture. You might have voted for the President, and like him and his policies, but you can still disagree with this idea, and try to make your opinion heard. That is not the oposite of grattitude.

Other people - some who might have legitimate reasons to want this, and some who just wants whatever they can get for selfish reasons - will oppose you. They can do this by either arguing in a civilized manner, offering their viewpoints and valid arguments trying to persuade you, or they can try to miscredit and slander you with personal attacks, twisting your words trying to compromise your integrity.

As you might have guessed, I'm not a big fan of the latter.

Now some have come forth with very good points:

...they might be doing it to make up for all the deaths that occurred due to lag. I doubt they want to have to go through and rez everyone.

I was never really upset about the exp penalty - I just didn't agree with it, and was/am slightly worried at what it might lead to (no I am not lvl 50, and yes I will be playing next week with or without the bonus, because just like everyone else I love this project and I missed playing). The arguments above partially convinced me, that there might be legitimate reasons for a bonus, though I still don't think it should be for more than a few days. That's what intelligent debate is about.

All the flames and insults from people who wanted the bonus however, did nothing but make themselves look like complete assholes. Good job.

guineapig
04-13-2010, 07:47 AM
i have the solution!

make exp pots / 24h duration each .. pots being rejected by "classic ppl" will be given to me since i came up with this brilliant idea

would be a win win for everyone!

discuss

I was actually thinking of exp potions as well (NO TRADE and LORE of course).
Only flaw with that idea is that you loose your exp bonus as soon as you die.

A way around that would be to place an unkillable NPC in each city that can hand them out to those that want them. But to be honest that's making an aweful lot of work for the devs and I don't see this as being such a huge deal.

The bonus isn't even as much as a full group exp bonus (which is like double normal exp). If anything the exp is comparable to grouping in Kedge Keep.

People be actin' crazy!

Tudana
04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
This is actually the reason I think it's a poor reason to have. Not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of a set week fairly. Everyone suffers, yet some will capitalize, and some will get screwed due to playing schedule. Set the exp bonus on a toon's played time instead, or don't do it at all imo.
I had my week vacation planned welll before any announcement of a bonus exp week, hell I had planned before the DDOS attack.

Either with or without a exp bonus I was going on Vacation at the EverQuest Fantasy Island!

Danth
04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
An experience bonus remains wholly unnecessary because nobody was unduly inconvenienced by the downtime--it affected everyone equally. Therefore nobody is 'put behind', nobody suffers more than anyone else, and there's no need for a boosted make-up period. As such I oppose it.

Danth

Bones
04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
An experience bonus remains wholly unnecessary because nobody was unduly inconvenienced by the downtime--it affected everyone equally. Therefore nobody is 'put behind', nobody suffers more than anyone else, and there's no need for a boosted make-up period. As such I oppose it.

Danth

Oh shit son, there's danth!

I have seen pretty good reasons for having extra exp, and good reasons for not. Either way I'm cool with whatever happens.

Sono_hito
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
While i agree that the exp bonus is not wholely necessary, its a nice boon for people like myself. Im going to be playing for the first time on friday when it comes up along with 4 friends. Its a good incentive for them.

Necran
04-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Exp bonuses foster the "grind" mentality that EQLive eventually became notorious for.

mitic
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Exp bonuses foster the "grind" mentality that EQLive eventually became notorious for.

yea, afaik the real grind and exp-bonus stuff like pots started with those never ending AAs

Reubin
04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Personally, I think the benefits to the server will outweigh the negatives. I think it will definitely encourage some people to come back who maybe wouldn't have, especially lower level characters. This is a good thing for the population of our community as it assures we are providing players for any new members to group with on the low end. People who are at 50 will probably spend more time on their alts/twinks taking advantage of the experience as well. It may alleviate some of the friction at the high end as there are only so many places to hunt at that level.

On the negative end, there will be a few more people who ding 50 next week than normal. That will add even more people to the ever-growing crowd of people chomping at the bit for Kunark. But the server outages take some of the sting out of that because no one has leveled at all recently. I think it's going to be a good thing...even though I can certainly understand why others are against it.

Lonedrahon25
04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Seriously...I thought i was hardcore with the classic UI...This takes it to a whole new morbid asphixiation level...GFY

stormlord
04-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Yay!

So anyone who complains is a bad guy now. Is this Nazi Germany?

You just made it an even bigger issue. The only way to reduce the drama is to not post.

stormlord
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Personally, I think the benefits to the server will outweigh the negatives. I think it will definitely encourage some people to come back who maybe wouldn't have, especially lower level characters. This is a good thing for the population of our community as it assures we are providing players for any new members to group with on the low end. People who are at 50 will probably spend more time on their alts/twinks taking advantage of the experience as well. It may alleviate some of the friction at the high end as there are only so many places to hunt at that level.

On the negative end, there will be a few more people who ding 50 next week than normal. That will add even more people to the ever-growing crowd of people chomping at the bit for Kunark. But the server outages take some of the sting out of that because no one has leveled at all recently. I think it's going to be a good thing...even though I can certainly understand why others are against it.

I don't think having exp bonus for a week is going to change anything. For me, it's just the thought that counts. And this "thought" reminds me too much of how things are done on the live servers. Besides, thinking about how much experience you're getting should not be how you play this game. If an experience bonus is "good" for you, then you need to review why you play this game. Do you stare at your experience bar??? Otherwise, an experience bonus is worthless. It doesn't improve the game. It doesn't make me happy. It's just pointless, unless you're a person that plays your experience bar instead of playing this game.

Bottom line, all of this matters about as much as 5 seconds once the server is up.

Agaron
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Danth

Pretty sure anyone who wasn't 50 was inconvenienced, and put behind to potential leveling, sir. People who're 50 can roll an alt, and quit hating. ;)

Rolling a halfling warrior, or having someone power level you is just as bad if not worse than this minor exp bonus.

JaVeDK
04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Go vote:

http://project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5694

Omnimorph
04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Personally, I think the benefits to the server will outweigh the negatives. I think it will definitely encourage some people to come back who maybe wouldn't have, especially lower level characters. This is a good thing for the population of our community.........

Not quoting the whole thing but, this server is still fairly in it's infancy in terms of it's population. I don't think incentives should be needed this early on, the people finding it and playing it are the ones who love it and aren't happy with what live has become. "our kind" don't like hand outs, we like to work hard for the money, so hard for the money, hard for it honey ~

but if people want it, they shall have it. I can't imagine it will happen very frequently.

jilena
04-13-2010, 11:46 AM
So anyone who complains is a bad guy now. Is this Nazi Germany?

You just made it an even bigger issue. The only way to reduce the drama is to not post.

I was wondering how much trolling it was going to take for someone to Godwin the thread lol. Congrats!

Goobles
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Taking a lesson from SoD, the exp boost weeks are a good idea. Not only do they reward current players, but they also entice other people to join the server. Unique connections rose from 20-30% when they did this, though I'm not sure how long it lasted. Good idea folks.

Finawin
04-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I love how a good thing was gimped because of butthurt ungrateful pussies.

Murferoo
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
no xp bonus week...lets take our lumps and move on.

Bones
04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
IMHO they should just get rid of exp penalties instead.

I still have not been presented with an adequate reason why they exist.
Hybrids certainly are not more powerful than non-hybrids by any means until maybe luclin/pop era (never played a hybrid though but I remember SK's and Pallies being very beefed in PoP)

Finawin
04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
There was no logical reason given for class penalties to exist other than "it's classic".

It's not going to get changed so it's useless to talk about changing it.

Bones
04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
There was no logical reason given for class penalties to exist other than "it's classic".

I was referring to why they ever existed on live in the first place.
I know why they exist here.

Edit: I heard that it may have had something to do with the way D&D was designed. But I can't elaborate as I know jack shit about D&D and it was way before my time.

Tallenn
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Taking a lesson from SoD, the exp boost weeks are a good idea. Not only do they reward current players, but they also entice other people to join the server. Unique connections rose from 20-30% when they did this, though I'm not sure how long it lasted. Good idea folks.

this.

Instead of whining about it, how about we consider this a good opportunity to go on a recruiting spree, to build up the size of our community?

Spud
04-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I love how a good thing was gimped because of butthurt ungrateful pussies.

if i had a dollar for everytime Finawin called someone a pussy on theese forums... id have like 473 dollars right now

Reubin
04-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Not quoting the whole thing but, this server is still fairly in it's infancy in terms of it's population. I don't think incentives should be needed this early on, the people finding it and playing it are the ones who love it and aren't happy with what live has become. "our kind" don't like hand outs, we like to work hard for the money, so hard for the money, hard for it honey ~

but if people want it, they shall have it. I can't imagine it will happen very frequently.

I actually agree to an extent. I'm the kind that doesn't like handouts either. I played a Ranger on live specifically because at the time they were made fun of, had the experience penalty, and were considered a tough class to level since getting groups could be tough. I wanted to make 50 as a Ranger because I wanted to do things the hardest way possible to prove I could. I don't care anything about the exp bonus personally...I'd be playing either way, but I'm also not upset by it as some people seem to be. I am guessing there are others out there who might have gotten turned off by the situation with the server outages. I'd hate to think someone played on another server for two weeks and decided not to return to a newbie on a tough server. I just want the population to continue to rise because I love playing on this server and want it to stay active.

Then again, I guess everyone who plays here does so specifically because it's the most "classic" (difficult) server. They probably wouldn't be dissuaded by something small like a server outage...I know I'm not. I certainly don't think the Exp Bonus is going to hurt the server, or really help it much for that matter.

MrBeerBelly
04-13-2010, 03:43 PM
The 25% exp bonus is neither here nor there. It's not a ton of exp, and it's also not enough exp to "make up for lost time".

I don't see why people are so against the exp bonus and I also don't see why people are so for the exp bonus.

I think a lot of the people so opposed to this bonus are already max level.

Finawin
04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
if i had a dollar for everytime Finawin called someone a pussy on theese forums... id have like 473 dollars right now

Look at how many there are.

"waah ooc"

"waah Rogean is being nice"

Mleh
04-13-2010, 06:29 PM
IMO this is unnecessary. Benefits players who can play leaves players who can't in the dust behind them.