PDA

View Full Version : Which is your Fav. Exp? Kunark or Velious

Yiblaan
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Ya have to choose(Unless you prefer Pure Vanilla[I rather do on my ice Cream])

I think Kunark is better content wise, zone wise and fun factor!

EDIT: Velious is too cold

Raren
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Seb is by far the best dungeon

guineapig
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I choose Kunark. Good mix of outdoor zones and dungeons. Velious outdoor zones were annoying by and large.

girth
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Velious because of the high-end content and the DRAAGONS!

Xumosa
04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I loved Velk labs!

Sersly
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Velious, by far, is my favorite expansion.

Enough content, dragons, dragons, dragons (who doesnt like killing dragons?) and the armor textures on old character models was great.

Kunark was also amazing, but velious just beat it hands down. The different tiers of gear (coldain, skyshrine, kael gear) made it somewhat accessible to multiple levels of raiders. Was just so awesome.

Singe
04-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Kunark~

Velious was bad ass, other than the fact that factioning sucks ass and the outdoor zones were gigantic

Aarone
04-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Both were awesome to behold (ok, maybe that's a little hyperbole - they were both damn cool). Kunark did give me more of the "fear for your life" feel across the course of adventuring through it; Velious seemed the more "cohesive" whole, though, in terms of its lore and "big picture" content. Ultimately, personally, that swings my vote to the Velious expansion.

Uaellaen
04-12-2010, 01:12 PM
i wanna say both ... kunark for the awesome zones, new spells, new levels etc. and velious for the raid targets ... thou i voted for kunark ...

guineapig
04-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I think the lost continent feel with the mysterious new races thing is what did it for me with Kunark. The ruins everywhere, although maybe a tad bit overdone where great and really added to the lore and RP aspects of the game. When I think of Velious outdoor zones all I can think of is white, white, more white... and occasionally monsters that were also white... or in some cases light blue.

To be honest, I didn't spend much time in Velious dungeons so I'm basing this opinion purely on the outdoor environments.

Shannacore
04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I never played Kunark or Velious, booooo. Or Classic, for that matter.

jilena
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I never raided either so Kunark was by far more fun for general use.

Aarone
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
To be honest, I didn't spend much time in Velious dungeons so I'm basing this opinion purely on the outdoor environments.

Even now, what, six, seven years later, the memory of the first few forays into Velketor's Labyrinth STILL makes me shit peas (yes, I'm afraid of heights)!

Tuan
04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
i wanna say both ... kunark for the awesome zones, new spells, new levels etc. and velious for the raid targets ... thou i voted for kunark ...

Kunark gets my vote. Between OS, outdoor dragons, VP. Each freakin hell level 51-60 in which I finished most of 59 as a cleric soloing LDC's in solb with a manastone, ah it felt good to get out of that level..

Prospect
04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Classic all the way because it allowed anyone to access content regardless of their playtime/style; the introduction of "special" zones for the elitists only (IE VP key and Sleepers key) was the decline in EverQuest in my humble opinion. Without such restrictions, (catering to the "hardcores") I feel EverQuest would have lasted a lot longer in terms of popularity.

Jenks
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Kunark > Luclin > Velious

Malavan
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Kunark was my favorite, though a lot of the dungeons weren't used very much. Sebilis and Karnor's both occupied me for a huge amount of time. There was also a nice variation in outdoor zones (not just white)

Velious i remember grinding faction and farming some kinda armor turn-in gems. That and fighting dragons that were walking down hallways that were way too big for them to turn around in.

Nedala
04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
I loved both of them, almost equal. Sebillis was my favorite dungeon; karnor was nice too. But i voted for velious: Ringwar,Kael, ToV, Dragons, Sleepers tomb, the whole faction/gear thing....i love velious :)

Bones
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Kunark has always been the favorite.
I picked velious however, because that was when I really got into the raid scene, and loved it.

calaxa
04-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Kunark introduced one of the best dungeons around (Sebilis). However, it also brought us the nightmare train of KC. It moved the auction area of EC tunnels to LOIO. It brought us 10 extra levels to grind and a new race appearing where everyone made iksar monks and necros, epics and useful clicky armor. However the major problem of Kunark.....still overcrowded and overly camped (Trakanon anyone?).

Velious brought us rotating faction wars (Coldain, Tormax, CoV). Gave us the nasty slippery ledges of Velks complete with traps. The script that was supposed to be impossible to work (awaken and kill the Sleeper). But best of all, it gave us the amazing drops of NToV. It finally gave us enough room to breathe despite the drama of NToV rotations, who was FiF for Tormax/Vindi/AoW, getting eaten by Woushi at WL port in, etc.

Tuan
04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Classic all the way because it allowed anyone to access content regardless of their playtime/style; the introduction of "special" zones for the elitists only (IE VP key and Sleepers key) was the decline in EverQuest in my humble opinion. Without such restrictions, (catering to the "hardcores") I feel EverQuest would have lasted a lot longer in terms of popularity.

Eh I don't think that's a valid argument. Classic did not allow just anyone to access the end game. By access, I don't just mean go into.. . sure, anyone the proper level could have zoned into the plane of fear, and then promptly lose their corpse in the process. That doesn't mean it was accessible by any means.

It would seem to me your argument is dependent on your server not having any descent size guilds early on, so everyone was just doing pick-up raids to all the planes and dragons. Thus you saying it was accessible to anyone. And then it must have changed into a small number of elite guilds that were taking the high end content, and then not accessible to just anyone.

That has nothing to do with the expansions, it's just the evolution of the social environment over time.

If your server had any elite guilds early on, then the planes/dragons would have not been accessible to just anyone like you said... and if your server had some of those guilds early on, I'm not sure at all what you mean.

Even so, ST & VP were pretty much the only places that were literally not accessible, so even then.. it's silly to say those were stopping people from playing. Hell 95% of the people who had never been to ST & VP also probably didn't even kill vox/nagafen by then, or at least any kunkark dragons.. so that's seriously a moot point.

Anyway, Everquest was only so successful because it catered to the hardcore. These days you have all these random mmorpg's that let everyone do anything and no work. They come out and people are max level in the first week by casual players. That doesn't allow there to be any really exciting high end content, because it doesn't matter. Anyone can do it. Then it all becomes instanced, blah blah everyone knows the rest.

Everquest was amazing because there was a hell of a lot to earn in the game by being a hardcore player.

If there were random dragons in every zone so every group of casual players could just get a few people together and decide "hey, I feel like killing woushi!", Everquest would have sucked. There would have been no reason to spend time developing your character.

Nedala
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
It moved the auction area of EC tunnels to LOIO.

on SolRo the auction area was still Kelethin; even when velious came. Bazaar finally killed it :(

The script that was supposed to be impossible to work (awaken and kill the Sleeper).

He was killed i dont remember the server.

nalkin
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Classic all the way. Can't beat the original. Kunark is dumb/way to dry. Velious is much better than Kunark.

Classic > Velious > POP > Luclin > Kunark

Malrubius
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I voted for Velious because I like snow and I like the giant/dwarf/dragon faction web.

BUT - I think Kunark has ten *TEN* dungeons. And not the cookie-cutter computer-generated maze crap that passes for dungeons in other games. Carefully hand-crafted D.U.N.G.E.O.N.s (Dirty UNder Ground Ethereal Otherworldly Nightmares).

You gotta respect Kunark for that.

eldub
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Velious-- no brainer for me. Best expansion in any MMO, ever.

MogManX44
04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
i never had the chance to raid in everquest back when i played it, i was more of a casual player then...so i went ahead and picked kunark, loio was the most memorable zone for me, and i cant wait to go back.

**EDIT**i just remembered about CC and velks, damn, ok, well my vote should be counted for both then :P**EDIT**

Montreal
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Kunark was so good it could have been a game by itself.

calaxa
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
on SolRo the auction area was still Kelethin; even when velious came. Bazaar finally killed it :(

He was killed i dont remember the server.

It was rumored not to work (probably because the Developers hadn't finished writing the script for it), and the GMs prevented what would have been the first success of it on RZ. SOE probably didn't expect it to happen as quickly as it did and depopped the zone. He has supposedly been killed on all servers on live now except for Ak'Anon (Mac Server)

Here's one person's account of it:
http://www.albrandes.com/skden/articles/sleeper.asp

Reubin
04-12-2010, 04:23 PM
My favorite was Kunark for the same reasons a lot of others are saying. Good mix of outdoor zones and dungeons. Cool lore and feel. The best dungeons of any expansion ever IMO: Sebilis, Howling Stones, Chardok, Nurga, Dalnir, City of Mist, even Karnor's castle ruled aside from the trains. Epics introduced, good/evil outpost splits. They really nailed it with the Kunark expansion and most of my best memories are from my time in Classic/Kunark.

Eastwood
04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Kunark,

I was a casual player and even after Velious was out I loved to hang out in Kunark, Sebilis. I still remember it being very popular.

Velious did add some new spells and disciplines? to the mix where were very helpful to classes, it also had a lot of easy to acquire casual loot to fill in some of the harder more expensive to fill slots IMO.

Kunark was my favorite tho. I have fond memories in Lake of Ill Omen, Warslik's Woods (Giant fort), all sorts of little caves and mini dungeon type places to explore, Dreadlands exp groups, Karnor's castle sometimes, mostly it was a cluster fuck, and Sebilis!

Appaullo
04-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I voted Kunark, but my memories of Velious are also great. Kunark was amazing though, and yes, KC was always a blast. Anyways, this is my first post. During this down week I discovered and set up for P99. Sorry, but I HAVE to add myself to the server, hope its not too overcrowded.

Appaullo

Yiblaan
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Kunark was so good it could have been a game by itself.

Hell Yes

Nedala
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Sorry, but I HAVE to add myself to the server, hope its not too overcrowded.

Appaullo

Not yet i think most of us want the server to grow still :)

Welcome to the project i bet youll love it :)

Minch/FureeZeb
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Seb is by far the best dungeon

agreed

i also loved dalnir, omen, howling stones

velks was great and ToV was funnn

but i voted for kunark cause velious was pretty damn white

Sparkin
04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Kunark. Most complete expansion in any MMO. It had more good dungeons than a lot of original release MMO's. HS, KC, Seb, Chardok, CoM, Droga / Nurga, I have a lot of fond memories of them all. Dragons roaming around outdoor zones that people camped in for exp, awesome. LoIO, Dreadlands, FM, BW, Overthere, Skyfire, lots of people camped in all these outdoor places for both exp and random cool loots in a few cases.

I loved how it had the feel of being an actual challenge to level 50-60 in Kunark. This is the only expansion i've played (i'm sure there are others, just haven't played any myself) where getting to the new level cap wasn't so trivial. Sure, there were the few freaks who did it in a week or two or whatever, but for the most part it took players many months. It gave them a chance to experience all the great content the expansion had to offer before hitting the cap.

In PoP tons of folks leveled 60-65 in less than a couple weeks and it seemed to get quicker every expansion. Pretty boring.

Loke
04-12-2010, 05:29 PM
So this has been done to death, but I'm bored so I'm going to post why I picked Velious.

The major factor that I like about Velious is the departure from the 32k HP cap. Raid mobs having hundreds of thousands of HP revolutionized raiding. Prior to that, strategy took a back seat to numbers. While I'm sure we all know guilds who still "zerged" in Velious, Velious "zerging" wasn't the same... saying someone zerged Velious was more of a back-handed comment saying "we did it with less".

Furthermore, I liked the notion of "raid zones." Kael, Sleepers, and ToV each having numerous raid encounters was something that Kunark didn't really match (maybe chardok royals?). The numerous mob progression style raid that ToV offered was a great idea (I guess Sky was similar, but ToV was unarguably better).

The encounters themselves took on a new form too. I'd say Luclin took this a step further, but in Velious we saw mobs using a more wide variety of AEs and abilities. Many mobs had scripts or pre-fight requirements, which wasn't widely used prior to Velious (again, I think Luclin took this a step further, which really made those encounters enjoyable imo).

As far as zones go, I really liked a lot of the dungeons in Kunark. I think arguably Kunark has the best collection of dungeons in any expansion. Velious can't really match Chardok, HS, Seb... even the lower level ones like Dalnir and Kaesora were great. I don't think CC, Velks, SG, etc, can really match those so I won't even try to argue that. However, Plane of Mischief is arguably the most inventive and unique zone in the game, so I have to give Velious credit for that.

Faction faction faction. This is one of the biggies imo. The role faction played in Velious gave it a feel that I never got in Kunark. In a nerdy, immersion sense, you almost felt like you were a member of whatever race you were allied with and the opposing factions were your enemy. This especially played in during quests or events like the 10th ring war and such where you were acting as a solider of thurgadin... I don't really know how to word what I'm thinking, but anyone who played in Velious knows what I'm saying.

This next one is kind of controversial and I'm sure a lot of you hate this aspect, but I loved it. Velious caused a noticeable gap between the casual and hard-core player. Not just in the raider v. non-raider sense either. Obviously those raiding NToV and Sleepers were going to be the best geared. However, even a hard-core player in a mid-level guild would vastly out-gear a player who only solo'd or was in a very casual guild. While a large raid force of L60s would net the best gear, a small 1 or 2 group force of hard-core players could still accomplish quite a bit and distance themselves gear wise from the casual player. Some people hated this, but I liked how if you put in more work, you could see a much more noticeable differences than in previous expansions.

I also liked velious because it didn't trivialize Kunark all that much. Many items from Kunark were still among the best items in the game. Basically, there were still a number of reasons to go to Kunark. In fact, I remember Kunark still being the main continent for exp (aside from velks) as many people though Velious mobs for the most part were more difficult, thus slower exp. The fact that it didn't make Kunark content obsolete is one of it's biggest strengths imo.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but now I'm bored of writing this, so yea...

Cliffs: tl;dr? Fuck off then.

Tallenn
04-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Kunark all the way. It has not just the best dungeon (Seb), but also IMO the next best two as well: Chardok and Howling Stones. It also has some of the best outdoor content, as well.

Velious beats it in raid content, true (though I never got a chance to raid VP, so take that into account), but overall, Kunark is far and away the best expansion in EQ's history.

Prospect
04-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Eh I don't think that's a valid argument. Classic did not allow just anyone to access the end game. By access, I don't just mean go into.. . sure, anyone the proper level could have zoned into the plane of fear, and then promptly lose their corpse in the process. That doesn't mean it was accessible by any means.

It would seem to me your argument is dependent on your server not having any descent size guilds early on, so everyone was just doing pick-up raids to all the planes and dragons. Thus you saying it was accessible to anyone. And then it must have changed into a small number of elite guilds that were taking the high end content, and then not accessible to just anyone.

That has nothing to do with the expansions, it's just the evolution of the social environment over time.

If your server had any elite guilds early on, then the planes/dragons would have not been accessible to just anyone like you said... and if your server had some of those guilds early on, I'm not sure at all what you mean.

Even so, ST & VP were pretty much the only places that were literally not accessible, so even then.. it's silly to say those were stopping people from playing. Hell 95% of the people who had never been to ST & VP also probably didn't even kill vox/nagafen by then, or at least any kunkark dragons.. so that's seriously a moot point.

Anyway, Everquest was only so successful because it catered to the hardcore. These days you have all these random mmorpg's that let everyone do anything and no work. They come out and people are max level in the first week by casual players. That doesn't allow there to be any really exciting high end content, because it doesn't matter. Anyone can do it. Then it all becomes instanced, blah blah everyone knows the rest.

Everquest was amazing because there was a hell of a lot to earn in the game by being a hardcore player.

If there were random dragons in every zone so every group of casual players could just get a few people together and decide "hey, I feel like killing woushi!", Everquest would have sucked. There would have been no reason to spend time developing your character.

Your points are valid and I do appreciate your response, however I feel that forcing people to camp keys/mobs to get keyed up to zone in seems like an artificial cock-block. Some of these pieces require a lot of questing (VP) and large scale raids (Sleepers) and I just feel that those who are unable to invest an obscene amount of time to this game will once again miss out on these zones. Places like Plane of Fear do indeed represent a great threat as soon as you zone in but areas such as the north wall allows a safe area to pick up and raid thus allows anyone to give it a whirl.

Tudana
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I`m a Valk Lab fan

Yilza Moosik
04-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Voted Velious. But I have to say I love both equally. Kunark had Sebilis, which is... godlike. Velious had the whole ToV and Sleepers. It was also fun to kill the Dain and the most fun was AoW :D

Torrin
04-13-2010, 02:46 AM
Velious raiding was the best all the dragons and the custom graphic armor was dope. Crystal Caverns dwarf town music and Cobalt Scar otter village music was $$$

Rael
04-13-2010, 03:59 AM
I read that as "favourite experience". Did people ever really exp in Velious other than Velks?

It moved the auction area of EC tunnels to LOIO.

Really? Not on Karana it didn't.

Omnimorph
04-13-2010, 04:19 AM
I would say i experienced more of Kunark than i did of velious, velious was all about the raiding where as kunark was about exploring the new land, epic quest, and some other things.

Velious was fun it's own way, but i think i prefer kunark :p