PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing the DAoC Classic server in the meantime?

VincentVolaju
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
When server first came down someone posted a link to a few other classic game servers, one of them being DAoC ( http://www.uthgard-server.net/ ). Wondering if anyone is playing there? If so what faction / class / level are ya?

mezzy
04-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I got it all setup but can't decide which realm to play. So if anyone is going to start up somewhere, I'll come play a healer of some sort.

Shannacore
04-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I diiiiiid download it, but I haven't played yet, hum.

VincentVolaju
04-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I got it all setup but can't decide which realm to play. So if anyone is going to start up somewhere, I'll come play a healer of some sort.

Haha I was doing the same thing. I made a Berserk on Midgard faction just now, if you do a healer, make one on Midgard so I have a healbot =P haha

alreadyhome
04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I think a bunch of people were playing higgs or something similar to that.

VincentVolaju
04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Ill play where ever the majority of the people are to be honest, I just chose Berserker cause it sounded cool lol. I dont mind rerolling though if theres where most people are.

Dac321
04-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Hmm not sure which I would play. I have to download it.

Audacious93c
04-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Were split between Midgard and Hibernia factions right now with the majority on Hibernia.

Agaron
04-12-2010, 12:03 AM
I have a templated 50 arms on alb, but I can't force myself to play again.

Gweed
04-12-2010, 02:28 AM
I have a templated 50 arms on alb, but I can't force myself to play again.

This, but change it to Thuergist

stormlord
04-12-2010, 04:29 AM
I thought about it last week, but haven't downloaded yet.

Have many people play on the live daoc servers? I don't mean the emulated servers!

Rael
04-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Ruadhri lvl18 Druid on Hib

PVE is mindnumbing in DAOC, however :/

Agaron
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
This, but change it to Thuergist

Name?

Gweed
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Name?

Kommisar

Havick_T
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Yes, I've played both. Currently playing on Live again Albion Ywain-1. I've got a 50 sorc, minstrel, reaver, scout, and almost done with my Tic.

I was kinda sad I should go finish my Armsman. He was my first char I ever made. He's back on lancelot at like 47. I should just suck it up and finish him to get the free transfer. They only allow level 50's for the free sever transfer. Hmm.. ya. I'll finish him tonight.

jilena
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I have a 50 warrior on Tristan and a 50 valk on Ector? I forget.

I tried playing this uthgard shit since everyone on IRC keeps talking about it... And by everyone I mean Scrooge. I am a wuss though I couldn't hack it so I rolled a Bureaucrat on RK1 in AO! Yeah!!

Bayleo
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Can anyone give me the 411 on this server? It's free? How many online at any given time?

Stonewall
04-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Burple and I are playing midgard on Uthgard, lvl 26 atm

jilena
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Bayleo whenever I was logging on there were like 250ish people so assuming like 1/3 of those are shammy bots... Maybe 175 real people? lol

411 = www.uthgard-server.net

I have made it to 6 on my mentalist. But I kept falling asleep so I logged off of daoc and spent the next 7 hours exchanging shitty youtube videos with Kadeem on IRC because that is better than DAoC lol.

grindle
04-12-2010, 03:21 PM
i have a level 110 engineer with a 210 slayerdroid on AO but man i don't even have the program on my comp anymore lol . I may have to down load it again . Telling my droid to /hunt in a instances zone was alot of fun , he would just destroy the whole zone for free loot and credits 8-)

Crone
04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I remember having an Agent, and it was cool being in groups shooting lasers at dudes.

Bayleo
04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
The game was really only fun at 50 when you had your giant rapefest battles. That was Pre-WoW though, when the concept was taken even further. Yes, I know that every time someone mentions WoW, Rogean kills a kitten.

Yiblaan
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I havent played DAoC in so long, the controls are so different and its so choppy

Iunno Its empty, a lack of english speaking community

Drubu
04-13-2010, 01:16 AM
I have a 50 warrior on uthgard but that server was just "weird". Barely any US timezone players there either, mostly 85%ish Euro.

Not to mention uthgard server was laggy as fuck, pvp was pretty weaksauce and the playerbase was terribad.

I can safely say that server single handedly killed any nostalgia I ever had for DAOC... You have been warned :)

jilena
04-13-2010, 01:42 AM
haha my group I had in ToTW on my Crat last night was p fail so I just charmed a couple mobs + my crat droid and just put them on hunt while chatting on irc and tabbing back every min to recharm the short duration lol.

/pet hunt is p much win.

I am on RK1 - char's name is Prude

la de da

Finawin
04-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Lol AO speak in a daoc thread

jilena
04-13-2010, 01:53 AM
LOL I am not above derailing threads about bad games to avoid doing the work I am supposed to be doing instead of trolling these forums.

Stonewall
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Burple and I are currently rolling Albs/hibs in Braemar, bring your game!

Sinlea
04-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm playing in Midgard... name is Vittra.

stormlord
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
3gb download on dsl is like pounding nails with your hands.

I had an error when installing that said I didn't have permissions so I (after some trials) installed in c:/ instead. Wth. I'm administrator. I even tried safemode and it still said the same thing. I'm using windows xp sp3 and there must be some kind of bug or something because I know I have administrator permissions. I even did the "Run as..." trick without any luck. I've never had this problem before. I'm stumped.

I've never tried DAOC. I was always on my self for not trying. So... this is your chance, tell me how awesome DAOC is! But I doubt i'll get around to trying it though. Download is forever and meh. I was thinking about trying live, but they recently had a bigtime billing goof. I don't want to do that if i'm going to get overcharged, you know what I mean? And DAOC looks dead to me. It's a miracle that the live server(s) are still up. Why did DAOC die so fast? Just a year or two ago there were people playing.

Another thing, I'm not a pvper. I've tried them, but I always end up doing pve and not being satisfied with its quality. Pvp games focus on pvp. The only value I get from it's the thrill of not getting killed by griefers. I tried Shadowbane, for example, in 2003, but the pve sucked compared to everquest.

So tell me, how good is the PvE in DAOC? Are there quests, dungeons, etc? I love that sh**. I've read a bit in forums and on websites, and of that I've seen, DAOC looks very mediocre to me. Hardly worth a look.

jilena
04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
You do NOT want to PvE in DAoC. What you want to do is get to a level where you can PvP to make experience as fast as you possibly can. Even if you hate PvP and experience a sensation akin to having your cock slammed in a car door every time you find yourself fighting another player... This is preferrable to DAoC PvE...

Agaron
04-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Pve is boring. The game is pretty much all about pvp. You find the quickest way to reach 50. It usually takes from 2 weeks to 2 months depending how well grouped. There's 1 dragon raid, and 1 custom zone on that server. You pve to get gear for your class template e.g. only allowed so many stats on certain gear, so you have to squeeze as much as possible on either pve gear, or crafted gear. It's quite challenging. You can't get pvp groups unless you're templated, and even once you're you suck unless you have ranks, which is pvp kills. Ranks give you more abilities. You can have all this and still suck, because you don't speak foreign languages, and can't get in groups. Set 8 man groups only require 1-2 of certain classes, so it's like picking people for dodgeball, and it's like highschool with language cliques. It's one of the best pvp game imo. Someone needs to create a classic english server.

regatta
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Playing Midgard, name is Zeakie

harojaro91
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Where should I download the client?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, along with a pretty easy to follow setup guide; http://www.uthgard-server.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10328

stormlord
04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, but you just reaffirm to me why I don't like pvp.

I'd rather pull teeth. Pvp makes me sweat too. I've never had a good experience in PvP except in 1999 in everquest when two roleplayers dueled. That's something I'll never forget. PvP is too primal to ever duplicate that. Of hte pvp servers I've seen, they're just full of griefers and people that want to be king of the mountain.

Ugg.

Can't you tell me something good about the PvE in DAOC. Is it THAT bad???

Tell me about treasure and dungeon crawls and adventure and fortune. Don't tell me about the pvp.

What are the dungeons like? Are there any factions in the world like in EQ? Any epic quests? You know those dreams where you stumble on a shining jewel deep in an underground fortress with a buddy? THAT is PvE! PvE is not just random player-built houses (ex: graffiti) and bullsH***** players chatting about their mommas and pk groups griefing stray defenseless players. PvE has a song. It has a rhyme. It has a message. PvE is not a messed up gang raped hole in the ground. It's substance! And it's so hard to find in pvp games, imho.

Let me say, I spent most of my time on live on pvp servers. 99.9999999% of the time I didn't try to hurt anyone. I'm not a pvper. I could count on my ***** hand the number of times I tried to kill someone. I remember snaring someone for fun, but didn't kill em. I was with a buddy in pojustice and another guy was there and he attacked and i kiilled him with trueshot. It was a mix of self-defense and me just doing what my buddy wanted me to do. I rmember some of my friends in a guild getting together and killing newbies in a zone. I went along with them a single time but it was disgusting. Just not me. I had pvper friends, but i knew that deep inside me there's something irreconcilable with them. I like them as my friends, but I don't like what they do. I always felt bad when I tried to hurt someone else even if it was self-defense. That's why I didn't pvp. My score on eqplayers was 0 forever - in fact, i don't eve remember getting a single kill. But I saw people grief and b**** and moan every time I logged in. I knew a long time ago something is different about me. I just can't pvp like pvpers do. It goes against my sense of respect. When I finally xferred to a blue server, it was like stepping into civilization. People respected eachother and were open with one another. Getting groups was easier and I said hello to a game I had waved goodbye to many many years before. The problem with pvp, as I've known it, is that players don't want to respect eachther and exercise order. That's too much to ask of them. The griefers always win in the end. What's left over? Raped dirty children with cut lips and scars. That is what I see.

Some people will respect you and care about you whether you're a bunch of pixels or not. And that's the difference between pvping griefers and normal pve players. When you approach the griefer, they'll tell you it's just a game and then they go off on their pvp rampage. But you know what, it's not just a game. It's a social world. By killing wantonly, you're showing your own disrespect for that social world. If the anon tag was removed, people would probably make better choices. But I think it's uncovering something much deeper, instinctive. There's a part of us that's animal. It kills, feeds, competes. Unleashing that monster on others, even for a single moment, can be immensely pleasurable. And I think some people let that monster out, a lot.

Pvp games, like an air vent, let that monster out to roam, except not to help, but to feed, and murder.