PDA

View Full Version : Intel wins no more AMD

Truth
11-30-2011, 02:44 PM
AMD sux couldnt hang and gives up (http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Not-Competing-With-Intel-Anymore-Goes-Mobile-237103.shtml)

In a move than could very well be interpreted as exchanging one problem for another, Advanced Micro Devices has decided to stop focusing so much on the PC business and get its act closer together on the mobile front.

The Bulldozer disaster, as it is known in some circles, must have persuaded AMD's leadership that the PC side of their business wasn't flying very well and far anymore.

Though everyone was expecting much from 8-core processors, the performance was, in the end, well lower than some of AMD's own previous-generation chips.

Whether because of this or something else, it was reported that Advanced Micro Devices has chosen to distance itself from its competition with Intel.

That is to say, it will focus less on processors for PCs and pay more attention to the mobile market.

As such, it will probably start to customize its Fusion platform in such a way as to create tablet and smartphone chips.

"We're at an inflection point," said AMD spokesman Mike Silverman, according to a Mercury News report. "We will all need to let go of the old 'AMD versus Intel' mindset, because it won't be about that anymore."

If anything, 2011, with more than half a year of lacking an actual CEO, was a clear symptom that Advanced Micro Devices had to do something, and soon.

The company has a new leader now and, sure enough, the man took some fairly drastic measures, and that includes more than this latest change in direction, as well as a branded RAM project.

The workforce also suffered, especially the PR and marketing departments (AMD axed large portions of each as part of its plan to cut total worldwide employee count by 10%).

The complicated thing about the focus on mobile is that ARM already has that well enough in hand, and NVIDIA just launched the Kal-El too. AMD may just be exchanging one headache for another with this.

Diggles
11-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Down with shitty processors!

Hailto
11-30-2011, 03:54 PM
This is in no way good news, if you want a company to be driven to produce quality products it can't have a monopoly on the market. Competition breeds innovation, now intel has the market cornered.

Diggles
11-30-2011, 03:56 PM
give me i7 and im fine for life

Truth
11-30-2011, 04:22 PM
AMD has been tragically inferior since at least core2duo so Intel really hasn't had competition since 2006 anyways. AMD will still sell their old processors, they just aren't going to pour $ into developing new ones. The only thing is Intel can easily charge even more for their newer CPUs now, but if it gets ridiculous down the line there will be antitrust suits I'm sure.

Knuckle
11-30-2011, 04:51 PM
AMD has been tragically inferior since at least core2duo so Intel really hasn't had competition since 2006 anyways. AMD will still sell their old processors, they just aren't going to pour $ into developing new ones. The only thing is Intel can easily charge even more for their newer CPUs now, but if it gets ridiculous down the line there will be antitrust suits I'm sure.

That was the beginning of the end for AMD

Truth
11-30-2011, 05:09 PM
here is a CPU built in minecraft that is faster than AMD processors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PnPSlLWRig

lol some nerds made a dual core one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=EaWo68CWWGM

azeth
11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
about to buy a tower with an i7.. pretty pretty excited.

of course i'll be using it for PSX Emus and an online free to play FPS game, but hey fuck it nomsan?

Aadill
11-30-2011, 07:30 PM

of course i'll be using it for PSX Emus and an online free to play FPS game, but hey fuck it nomsan?

I was going to buy a new video card to put Skyrim on ultra.

Then I read some tech reports saying CPU was more important for the Creation engine.

Now I want to build a whole new computer and put my old computer guts into the computer that's sitting in the living room to coincide with a PS3. Then I want to put the guts of the original computer out in the living room into another case as a file server.

Then I might be getting another computer if my coworker decides buying a new video card isn't worth it~

All for Skyrim.

Hasbinbad
11-30-2011, 08:14 PM

nawudumane.

Autotune
11-30-2011, 09:01 PM
I was going to buy a new video card to put Skyrim on ultra.

Then I read some tech reports saying CPU was more important for the Creation engine.

Now I want to build a whole new computer and put my old computer guts into the computer that's sitting in the living room to coincide with a PS3. Then I want to put the guts of the original computer out in the living room into another case as a file server.

Then I might be getting another computer if my coworker decides buying a new video card isn't worth it~

All for Skyrim.

it's worth it

Deanob
11-30-2011, 09:25 PM
What a stupid rumour... I should know I worked there. still have many contacts.

Aadill
11-30-2011, 09:28 PM
it's worth it

i wish i owned half the stuff on that list :(

cept for skyrim

cuz i own it~

also i used to like amd products because of the way their architecture was handled... plus it was way cheaper. they kinda lost steam :(

8 cores in one computer is cool and all but nothing utilizes that

Autotune
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
i wish i owned half the stuff on that list :(

cept for skyrim

cuz i own it~

also i used to like amd products because of the way their architecture was handled... plus it was way cheaper. they kinda lost steam :(

8 cores in one computer is cool and all but nothing utilizes that

I wish my laptop had a larger processor with 2 more cores :(

but i suppose my 2.13dualcore isn't that bad

Taluvill
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Im running my 3.0 Phenom 2 quad core black edition and I love it. Eats everything I throw at it, bought it what, 4 years ago?

Sad to see this if its really true, always was an AMD and now radeon dude

Deanob
11-30-2011, 10:05 PM
wat

Diggles
11-30-2011, 11:36 PM
3.1 quad core :3

jarshale
12-01-2011, 02:41 AM
I guess it's time to buy an i5 before intel raises the price to $10000

azeth
12-01-2011, 08:18 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113174

my top choice so far.

+i7
+nvidia >
+less than $900

Gwence
12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
lol that's a piece of shit

azeth
12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
lol that's a piece of shit

thanks 4 share

Gwence
12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I know you're kind of a dumbass but I can't in good consicous allow even you to waste your money on something so terrible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227382

you apparently lack the desire or knowledge to assemble your own machine so that is about 15x better than the gateway you have listed and only a bit more expensive.

azeth
12-01-2011, 02:37 PM
you apparently lack the desire or knowledge to assemble your own machine so that is about 15x better than the gateway you have listed and only a bit more expensive.

i built my first rig in 2005 akshually. thanks for the link though, i am investigating further.

edit: i do like this rig gwence, i'm happy it comes with the 700w psu. newegg tends to use lower W psus and not include enough RAM on a lot of great CPU/GPU combos. I'm seriously considering buying this.

pickled_heretic
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
edit: i do like this rig gwence, i'm happy it comes with the 700w psu. newegg tends to use lower W psus and not include enough RAM on a lot of great CPU/GPU combos. I'm seriously considering buying this.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/002/250/what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png?1269221196

you can buy a rig with whatever PSU or however much RAM you want, it's called building it yourself

azeth
12-01-2011, 03:13 PM
you can buy a rig with whatever PSU or however much RAM you want, it's called building it yourself

okay thankyou for the valuable input. i'd like to direct you both to my statement above identifying i've done that in the past, and additionally to the "x" on the top right of your IE window.

building it yourself makes you your own warranty. I have no desire to risk my investment and rely on myself to solve any issues. I'd gladly pay the extra $50 for a comprehensive warranty over all of my parts for the first year.

Diggles
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
going to laugh my ass off if "building a computer" was you following a guide on PC Gamer or some shit

pickled_heretic
12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
building it yourself makes you your own warranty. I have no desire to risk my investment and rely on myself to solve any issues. I'd gladly pay the extra $50 for a comprehensive warranty over all of my parts for the first year.

this is the same story you almost always hear from anyone who has never built a computer themselves and wants an excuse to never have to try. every part you buy, as long as it's not generic, comes with a warranty, there's no risk on your investment at all.

pickled_heretic
12-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I bought a video card, ram and processor from EVGA. LIFETIME WARRANTY after registration for everything. Broke a SATA port while trying to install a new hard drive, guess what, got a free replacement no charge.

sure is risky bro

azeth
12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
going to laugh my ass off if "building a computer" was you following a guide on PC Gamer or some shit

im going to laugh when you respond with where you got your bach/masters from.

also, i'm not really sure why you're even posting in this thread pickled. I mean with your original comment identifying you can pick/choose your parts by building it yourself, were you under the impression that I wasn't aware of this or?

I'm pretty happy to spend a thousand'ish dollars on a system to run the games I play in what little free time I have, fact. Thanks for coming brews.

deakolt
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
ibuypower confirmed cheaper and more reliable than building your own rig

ppl who suggest building your own rig sux

Gwence
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
ibuypower confirmed cheaper and more reliable than building your own rig

ppl who suggest building your own rig sux

^ biggest idiot on the planet

deakolt
12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
i challenge you to build your own rig with same parts and lesser price... and warranty

pickled_heretic
12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
and warranty

every piece of hardware i have bought from pricewatch, newegg and evga has come with its own warranty- in some cases it is a lifetime unlimited warranty. this is a non-issue.

deakolt
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
warranty alone does not constitute a primary key for the challenge

pickled_heretic
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM
warranty alone does not constitute a primary key for the challenge

post a rig w/ specs and cost.

Gwence
12-01-2011, 04:16 PM
ok

I just mocked up my most recent build on ibuypower the difference in price was just under $800
lol

I had to change some pieces because ibuypower is quite limited in what brands they have available. But when I did I chose pieces with the same specs I have or closest possible (never going above)

so I spent a little more than $1700 on the following
i5 2500k
AsRock extreme 6 p67
8gb gskill ripjaw x 1600mhz
1tb wd 7200 rpm 64mb cache sata 3
mushkin cronos 120gb sata 3 ssd
asus dcII gtx 560-ti (x2)
seasonic 750w gold psu
logitech g110
razer imperator
asus ve 24" monitor
some lightning shit
fans
haf 932
asus dvd drive
zalman cpu cooler
windows 7 home 64 bit

The mockup on ibuypower for this build, or as close to it as I could get was $2404

each of those products has there own warranty, whether than one all inclusive piece of shit where I would have to send back the whole pc and probably pay the enormous shipping costs if 1 small thing goes bad.

ibuypower did however offer the option of a free upgrade to 16gb of memory so congrats to them on that.

overall though it was not even close lol

deakolt
12-01-2011, 04:18 PM
oh shit ok u win i'm building my next desktop...

actually tbh i built my current desktop

i was under the impression that merchants like ibuypower would win the cost war since they have wholesale purchasing power

Gwence
12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
it's all about catching deals and sales on the individual components and sometimes even buying them with future plans down the road

you can save yourself alot of money..

Diggles
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
im going to laugh when you respond with where you got your bach/masters from.

I don't have one because I'm still in high school, and somehow I still know more about computers than you

Gwence
12-01-2011, 05:35 PM
oh shit ok u win i'm building my next desktop...

actually tbh i built my current desktop

i was under the impression that merchants like ibuypower would win the cost war since they have wholesale purchasing power

They probably get there components at some type of wholesale cost, but what most people don't know is that, in the tech world especially with TV's, the manufacturers are the ones that dictate to the retailers what price points they have to sell there products at.

It has something to do with maintaining the manufacturers reputation or some bullshit. I don't know how much of that happens with PC components, but I know 100% companies like Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic etc etc. They tell companies like bestbuy and walmart and whoever else wants to sell there products how much they have to sell them for, and how many they have to sell in order to keep there liscense with them.

The logistics of it all are really upsetting from a consumers point of view, but that's the business model our planet adhere's to.

And on top of all that the retailer has to make there own profit, not too mention most of this stuff comes from "distributors" which have to make there own profit. There's like half a dozen stop points between the starting line and your living room, each one bumps that price up just a little more.

Aadill
12-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Yup MSRP is a bitch. Newegg and Tigerdirect are basically the best things ever, and warranties are so easy to come by on almost any product on there, plus Newegg's and Tigerdirect's return policies are fairly reasonable... it's hard not to come out ahead if you build it yourself unless you are a poor designer.. it does take a little bit of head scratching to make sure your components will function but for the most part it's matching numbers.

Lucidus
12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
For me, the self-build savings always came from rebuilding the same rig. Just watch the sales, spend about $250 a year, and your rig is always ~2 yrs behind the latest and greatest.

A good CPU/mobo will easily last 5 years, and a vid card is always good for at least 3. Folk that spend $2k on a new rig every 5 years make my head hurt.

Kabilos
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM

You do realize that you can warranty your parts through wherever you buy them .. newegg ect..

Also you have a manufacturers warranty that can last up to 3 years on most parts. Depending on what the item is.

But you already knew this because you've done this once before. So I'll go find that little red X that takes me back to minding my own business.. amidoinitrite?

Kabilos
12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
i challenge you to build your own rig with same parts and lesser price... and warranty

Yes you might have 1 valid point. We might not be able to build it at that price, becuase were not buying a thousand of each item and mass producing them.

I did make the mistake of letting my ex fiancee purchase a pc from there when I was on active duty. Lets just say the headaches she had from their tech support not being located in America .. yet the sales guys were .. was not worth the trouble.

System ended up having caps popping on a board from overheating because the case had dick for ventilation. I wanted to mailbomb their warehouse where it was purchased because it was utter crap.

Deanob
12-02-2011, 12:09 AM
lol this is hilarious