PDA

View Full Version : Are you interested in a mercenary-type guild idea?

DoucLangur
11-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey everyone without a guild tag / not finding the right guild!

I would like to get some feedback if there is any interest in this guild idea I had.

Let me explain where I come from: I am a euro EQ veteran, there is no guild raiding casually on euro times on this server. The US-based casual guilds can not offer much at all to me currently. The family guilds are not what I am looking for, as I want to raid. However I am not prepared to stay online for long hours in the night regularly to get that chance. So here's my idea:

I would like to start a guild for *all* timezones, where people that feel they do not fit in well into any of the other guilds can hang out. Conditions for joining would be that you have not ruined your reputation before, and that you abide by the server rules. If you're caught violating any server rules (cheating, disruptive behaviour) -> instant and permanent kick. You should also speak proper english and participate in guild chat.

Morals of the "guild": Like mercenary bands should be, it would be a mix of so many morals. You can be a player that wants "all the loot for me" (mercenary & thief at heart), or you can be a knight of honour, or anything in between or off to the sides. The band as a whole would not have one reputation, let the players speak for themselves.

Now for the mercenary part: We will offer our members to help in activities of other guilds/players online - for payment. Anyone who needs a few more players to do some raid, or who needs some help killing some mob, can ask our online players and negotiate the price. Price negotiations will be up to the players involved.

For me, this is one possible way I see to participate in some raids at least and get a chance on loot. Plus it helps to have people you know to group with.

So please let me know what you think. If there's enough interest, I will make a guild creation request and give it a try.

Cheers,

Slozem

Seaweedpimp
11-26-2011, 09:43 PM
So you get paid to help down the mob then roll on loot?

Hasbinbad
11-26-2011, 10:08 PM
OH DEAR GOD DOES SLIPPERY HAVE A POINT?!?!?

ARMAGEDDON!! APOCALYPSE!! RAGNAROK!! 2012!!

It would make a bit more sense if you declined payment on raids where one of your members received loot.

Versus
11-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Just a FYI...Time zones don't dictate that much here on P99. When the mob randomly spawns, it is mobilized for and killed within like...5-15minutes. With the exception of Sky raids.

Flunklesnarkin
11-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I seen guilds like this before in other games.. but they usually consist of a core of uber geared players and they invite hoards of others to fill out the ranks..

and they charge for killing a monster / doing a quest/ getting a no trade drop etc based on difficulty of the target.

usually core group gets most of the money from the kills (especially the leader)

not saying thats whats happening here.. i don't know the people lol

I don't personally like to pay for that kind of stuff in games.. but I do think its legitimate to do so.

edit: but yah.. doubt many people would like a guild where you have to pay for help when you are in it

DoucLangur
11-27-2011, 11:32 AM
So you get paid to help down the mob then roll on loot?

Next time switch on your brain before posting, that'd save us stupid questions like this.

Also - 4 responses, all off-topic. Good job. This is not Rants and Flames, fyi guys.

Xanthias
11-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Next time switch on your brain before posting, that'd save us stupid questions like this.

Also - 4 responses, all off-topic. Good job. This is not Rants and Flames, fyi guys.

Actually... the question was pertinent.
And every post seems have been regarding this guild...

HorrorFK
11-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Now for the mercenary part: We will offer our members to help in activities of other guilds/players online - for payment.

Guilds aren't gonna need players that bad - or it would just be an uneven trade considering you most likely need VP key. And you might as well throw a guildtag on it if you already feed it loot wins (which will eventually happen later on down the line).

Nice idea though.

Awwalike
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
could actually be pretty tite

Flunklesnarkin
11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
yah guilds like this work out when the people in them are skilled and well geared.

most guilds where you have to pay for help when you are a member ....

are just a sales pitch... they invite anybody and everybody to offer their services to the most amount of people...

again.. its legitimate... but not a very fun play style.

Best way to build loyalty for a guild is to actually help the members out w/o asking for money in return..

just my 2 cents ;p

Smoker
11-28-2011, 04:00 AM
I'm interested in a Euro guild that plays Euro times, thats the only part of this idea that would interest me.
The merc idea ain't a bad one, but it wouldnt fit my playing style. I like the more loyal to guild type of play.

Let me explain where I come from: I am a euro EQ veteran, there is no guild raiding casually on euro times on this server

There is enough euros on this server.... I think the euro players in US guilds must be having very late nights. Been there, done that for a few years.. no thx not again.

Esra

DoucLangur
11-28-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm interested in a Euro guild that plays Euro times, thats the only part of this idea that would interest me.

Try forming one, I'll be available. I tried (see previous posts here) for half a year and gave up. Most euros in US based guilds are not willing to leave for a new try without guaranteed success. Thus this suggestion - it isn't my preferred solution, but it would be better than no guild / joining a guild that doesn't play on euro times.

Regards

Slozem

Faisca
11-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I also play on euro times, (albeit, late night western euro times), so I can understand where the OP is coming from, but I can also understand why other euro players don’t want to leave their positions in established US guilds to build a new guild from scratch that in end may or may not work. Most likely it will fail sometime along the development process.

The mercenary idea has absolutely no interest to me, but if you’re looking to create a guild that raids on euro times, my suggestion to you is that you try to create a euro branch on an already established US guild, instead.

Once you have the numbers, if you ever get to have them, I’m sure no US player in that guild is going to be against you setting raids in euro times. It would be a win-win situation for everybody. Euro players raiding in euro times, US players raiding in US times, hardcore players raiding in both times, all in one guild.

This may look like a much too big of a guild for some, but the way I see it, given the server population, creating more niche guilds is not going to help anybody. If anything, it will only serve to increase the disputes for targets.

At the moment, all current established guilds, even the top ones, are recruiting all classes. To me, that says people should start thinking more about merging guilds rather than creating new ones.

Just my 2 cents.

Hasbinbad
11-28-2011, 01:07 PM
tite
reported

Kassel
11-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Not sure what you mean by "raid euro times" Mobs on p99 do not have a timezone and will pop at any random time. The exception to this would be fear/hate/sky raids and i doubt you are trying to start a merc guild to help ppl with fear/hate/sky, if you are good luck to you! - If you want to kill shit on P99 you have to have both NA and Euro players. No guild killing big things has one without the other.

DoucLangur
11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Not sure what you mean by "raid euro times" Mobs on p99 do not have a timezone and will pop at any random time. The exception to this would be fear/hate/sky raids

And Chardok Royals. Nevertheless I beg to differ: For this mercenary thing, I don't care about euro times - people would be available whenever they choose to log on. For a euro casual guild, people would be perfectly happy with doing exclusively stuff that is up when they're playing - and not care about nighttime pops. That is kind of the point in casual gaming :)

Slozem

Ele
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
There is already a "semi-casual raid guild" that does this.

DoucLangur
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
There is already a "semi-casual raid guild" that does this.

There is already a semi-casual international european based guild? How about putting a name there with your claim?

DoucLangur
11-30-2011, 06:37 AM
Ele? Gonna back up your comment?

pickled_heretic
11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Ele? Gonna back up your comment?

If you insist on pressing the issue so much, the guild to which he refers is Vesica Dei.

Waffen
12-01-2011, 12:48 AM
could actually be pretty tite

tight*

dalaimoc
12-01-2011, 03:13 AM
I have been a member in a merc-corp in EVE Online for 3 years.

I have no guild as of yet, but i wouldn't join a merc-guild in EQ, especially not on P99. First of all, EQ-PVE environment doesn't support the idea of a merc-guild. No-drop items / raid-type mobs and smaller guild / unguilded players wanting a shot at raid-mobs pretty much makes mercs obsolete.

Second...P99 isn't really crowded, so there won't be enough customers to begin with.

On R99, that is another story :-)

Slothbynature Lazybutt

DoucLangur
12-01-2011, 04:34 AM
If you insist on pressing the issue so much, the guild to which he refers is Vesica Dei.

That is why I insisted. Because I was expecting it would just confirm that he did not read my posts. Like you just did. VD is not a european guild, and their activity on european evening times is dissapointing - I was an applicant trying to group/raid for sponsors for 3-4 weeks, and nearly nothing was ever going on.

So, in effect, there is no guild that does casual raiding on a schedule fit to euro players.

Slozem

DoucLangur
12-01-2011, 04:36 AM
I have no guild as of yet, but i wouldn't join a merc-guild in EQ, especially not on P99. [..] On R99, that is another story :-)

Thank you for your feedback - and to the others as well. Based on that I gathered that my idea isn't workable here.

And - there's currently zero guilds on the server where I would fit in. Hooray! :(

Slozem

Gremel
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
On R99, that is another story :-)

Slothbynature Lazybutt

I ran a mercenary guild on Rallos for years (Mercs of Norrath (http://ralloszek.stephans.org/rz/guildlist.php?guild_name=Mercs+of+Norrath))... i think we got paid maybe twice to do anything interesting... generally people on a pvp server will only think of you as hired killers -- and eq is not conducive to hunting down people with their /anon flag on.

Incidentally Mercs exists on red, but we are tiny and mostly inactive (it's a nostalgic guild tag at the moment)

also... if you are looking for ideas about Mercenary guilds i highly recommend reading The Black Company books...

Also OP, its a game. if you can get people to join your guild and have fun, do it.