PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons

Silentone
11-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Just curious does anyone play D&D and if so did you play it when you were a kid. I am asking because I used to play AD&D 2nd edition...i know its changed 100x since i stoped playing and wanted to know if it is more user friendly now. I have 2 x 10 year old kids that i wanted to intruduce to the game sort of story time/play with them, is it worth buying new edition and content or should i just stick to my old stuff? does the new stuff have more eye candy so they dont get bored? any input would be great thanks.

Scratch&Sniff
11-23-2011, 11:54 PM
play 2nd edition, all the other ones are crap. me and my friends still run a game a couple times a year.

Silentone
11-24-2011, 12:00 AM
wow really? so since i stoped playing nothing good has come about? i still have my 2nd edition stuff i can dust them off..but i think i should at least buy some figures or fluff they are kids and in these days they get easily distracted. I wanted some eye candy to keep them interested. =) 2 Advanced D&D 2nd edition is still gold? THAC0 system? =)

Slave
11-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Even 2nd Edition was kind of crap compared to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. If you want the really iconic, Everquestesque experience, do yourself a gigantic favor and find some AD&D rulebooks.

They have superior art and simpler rules. I was GMing before I was 10 years old.

loopholbrook
11-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Me and my friends just started playing D&D a few months ago. We usually play like once or twice a month and use 3.5. I would suggest 3.5, but I'm sure 2nd is fine. They have a bunch of miniatures now, but I think those are mainly for 4th edition. What's more important than anything, as I'm sure you remember, is a good story, and a good DM. Add some music, maybe use some EQ music to set the mood.

Diggles
11-24-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA

Knuckle
11-24-2011, 02:03 AM
i tried to find a dnd group in jacksonville all these kids do is play magic no dnd groups running. apparently some loonies dress as vampires at coffee shops and roleplay though...wtf

MrSparkle001
11-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I last played, 2nd edition, like 17 years ago.

oh and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI

jadacal
11-25-2011, 06:42 AM
an alternative might be pathfinder since the newer versions of dnd are subpar

Mafakka
11-25-2011, 06:53 AM
I played a cleric, and convinced a peasant that he would be serving God if he carried our gear for us on our journeys.

bakkily
11-25-2011, 07:18 AM
yeaup, been on a campaign with 3.0 rules, we started with adnd, but our group didnt like those rules so we switched, but been playing for close to 10 months now and have a lvl 8 ranger, we play every friday night, roughly 5-7 hours every session, tomarrow we plan on running our session for 10 hours, its a fun game, as long as everyone is creative, and a good dm that keeps you on your guard, its a great experience to have

bakkily
11-25-2011, 07:20 AM
knuckles not man enough for dungeons and dragons, end of story, keep to online games you goof

Klendathu
11-25-2011, 11:08 AM
D&D "rules" are only guidelines. As long as the DM isn't a dick, it shouldn't matter which edition of rules you try to go by. Although I find anything beyond the original set to be constrictive. THAC0, bitches. Fucking THAC0.

Knuckle
11-25-2011, 11:12 AM
knuckles not man enough for dungeons and dragons, end of story, keep to online games you goof

:confused::confused:

I played 2nd edition for 3 or 4 years and DM'd a campaign, get on my level bro.

Amelinda
11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
you can always add all sorts of fluff to any ad&d game. we used to make and paint our own figures draw/ink our character pictures and our dm's would come up with very elaborate scenary for fight sequences. That was just a few years ago and i don't know what ruleset we were using beyond the fact our rules came out of the Eberon books/world.
My buddy owns like every AD&D book every written. so he always chose which campaign/ruleset/wtfe we were playing and would bring our written materials :)

just be creative and i think your kids will love it :) Vampire the masquerade is fun and very simple...but probably a bit gory/inappropriate for kids that young.

Silentone
11-25-2011, 05:25 PM
hehe, thanks guys. I wasnt sure about what to do because i havent looked at it in years. But with everyones input it seems it hasnt changed too much and sticking with my 2nd edition isnt too bad. I guess I will do just that, get some figures and better monster picuters so I can paint the story better for them, they are just 10 years old so I am going to have to lure them away from ps3/computer games hehe and that should be a chalange =)

Feachie
11-25-2011, 05:30 PM
don't be scared of 4th edition, that's all we play anymore because it seems like every game we run there's a new person who has never played before. the rules and such are a bit easier to grasp.

as far as eye candy...that all depends on how you describe the people places and things. yeah you could show them a picture of a troll or a figurine, but their imagination what is going to make it look badass.

Knuckle
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I always liked the figurines for the strategy purpose of things, I like 'flavor text' etc. it adds a nice touch. But I like the hexagons for a battlefield so i can see enemy position and move our party accordingly.

bakkily
11-26-2011, 05:50 AM
well i find you and all the members of holo to be nothing more then a scuzz bucket of turds, probally in rl i'd beat your sorry ass in a arm wrestling match any how, and maybe tear your ligament in the process, any ways, there's no lvl to get on in these games, its either you play hard core and neglect other things to do in life, or you login for hours on end playing in a fantasy world that gets you nothing in return in real life, but i'm here for fun as others are, so there is no lvl field bro chacho, but have fun knuckle, i know a many are working hard on gaining lvls to hunt your ass down as many of others in holo

but yea i play with my family, good family time and cheap if want to role play for a few hours without spending money at the movies ect

jarshale
11-27-2011, 11:32 PM
TBH as much as people are hatin' on 4E, it's simplicity would be better for younger kids, which I think is what they were going for.

Knuckle
11-28-2011, 12:30 AM
well i find you and all the members of holo to be nothing more then a scuzz bucket of turds, probally in rl i'd beat your sorry ass in a arm wrestling match any how, and maybe tear your ligament in the process, any ways, there's no lvl to get on in these games, its either you play hard core and neglect other things to do in life, or you login for hours on end playing in a fantasy world that gets you nothing in return in real life, but i'm here for fun as others are, so there is no lvl field bro chacho, but have fun knuckle, i know a many are working hard on gaining lvls to hunt your ass down as many of others in holo

but yea i play with my family, good family time and cheap if want to role play for a few hours without spending money at the movies ect

You sound like a very upset nerd, sorry that your rage is boiling over into other forums. I've played d&d and enjoy it immensely, just because I can play computer games with a thick skin is hardly grounds to attempt to judge someones RL interests and hobbies(d&d a RL interest oh teh irons).

Flunklesnarkin
11-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I don't remember what the editions were called but i use to play d & d when i was younger.. was a good time...

friend been trying to get me back into his group he has.. might give that a go lol.. kinda lost touch with the group cuz of work

and yah.. really bakkily.. ethuggin on a 10+ year old game forum? rethink your swag there yo

bakkily
11-28-2011, 04:53 AM
well the premise of everything in wow is taken from 3.0/3.5 edition, and the more i play ect, i notice that they ripped every idea out of both those editions, happy me though on my ranger just got new +2 ac ring, and masterwork battle axe +1 with 1d6 fire dmg, heh, over all dnd is alot of fun for those who play, sometimes when we do play its a drag for me, but i mainly enjoy the fights, and figuring out quest ect

bakkily
11-28-2011, 04:53 AM
4th ive heard that everything just goes by quicker, ect

bakkily
11-28-2011, 04:56 AM
You sound like a very upset nerd, sorry that your rage is boiling over into other forums. I've played d&d and enjoy it immensely, just because I can play computer games with a thick skin is hardly grounds to attempt to judge someones RL interests and hobbies(d&d a RL interest oh teh irons).

well you and your crew, doesnt sound like a pleasant bunch to game with, but sure im a nerd, everyone here playing this emulator is a eq nerd, sure, but its more of a idiot ego you and titunuk and others in holo have, to me fishbaits so so, and most ive grouped with i've had a good experiance with

Cwall
11-28-2011, 05:22 AM
what the fuck happened to this thread

Silentone
11-28-2011, 05:26 AM
hmm, well seems like my wife may have thrown out my dnd stuff so i may shell out and buy 4th edition ...if its easier then thats good because my kids are only 10 and i dont want them bogged own with too much information ...just roll and move on type of a deal..... u guys think i should give them a guide like a NPC? or something? i dont know how else to sorta nudge them into the right direction..any thoughts on NPC?

Knuckle
11-28-2011, 11:38 AM
hmm, well seems like my wife may have thrown out my dnd stuff so i may shell out and buy 4th edition ...if its easier then thats good because my kids are only 10 and i dont want them bogged own with too much information ...just roll and move on type of a deal..... u guys think i should give them a guide like a NPC? or something? i dont know how else to sorta nudge them into the right direction..any thoughts on NPC?

2nd edition did have a lot of rules but you can always edit them to suit your needs. I did remember my dad just let me watch when I was 4 or 5 when he'd have the guys over for his campaign on saturday night I'd pass out at 2 or 3 in the morning just excited to watch them play. When I was 8 or 9 he explained the rules to me and I'd say by far the hardest thing to grasp was THAC0 and it didn't take me long to figure that out either once you got to fight a few monsters. The most important aspect to the game is not coddling newbies, make them think on their feet. Reroll characters from dying at level 1. Don't give them free passes to fuck up. Always feel a lot more accomplishment solving a puzzle or beating a monster when you have literally seconds to say what action your character can take before you lose your turn or a pressure trap crushes your body.

Grahm
11-29-2011, 02:33 AM
Bakkily on knuckles nuts like a fuckin jock strap.

But there is a set out there that my dad bought when I was like 12ish that came with a board/characters/and a written out DM guide.

Let me look it up for you.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/217120000

Not sure if this is the same one, but it pretty much gets the point across. And trust me, You will want a map if your kids are only 10 years old. Also, the DM guide is very easy and can help you explain the game better to them. Unless, you want your 10 year olds to have 5 seconds to roll a dice or answer a question before a wall of spikes close in on them...thats up to you!

A good idea to get them started, if they aren't really into it at first that is, is wait until its raining semi-hard and unplug the TV/Computer and tell them there has been a power-outage. The only time I really play is when the power is out and I can't leave the house.

Tumdumm
11-29-2011, 03:29 AM
just got my hands on this STACK of (mostly 3rd ed) books that have been floating since my old DM disappeared (wru Bighugz [SZ]) so definently gonna dust em off and start a campaign this winter. hit me up if you're near the brass city aka that dirty water aka waterbury & wanna play

Peatree
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
I still have at home my old original Monster Manual (has red dragon on it I think), Fiend Folio (sp?), Players Handbook, DM Guide and several of those little pewter characters hand painted no less. My 10 yr old son sees them on my bookshelf at home and looks through them every so often.

I think I got those back in 78 or 79 I think. Good times.

stormlord
11-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Ya'll know how to have fun.

jadacal
12-02-2011, 03:03 AM
again, check out pathfinder... it was designed specifically to make the 3.5 rules easier so it would fit well for children.

Silentone
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Update: So i went with DnD4th edition and started playing with my 2 ten year olds. So far so good some rules i need to better understand but I will figure that out soon enough. I think I am going to buy some of the Dnd miniatures(however they have been discontinued) anyone know where i can get some for cheap? i am particularly interested in orcs/goblins and other cannon fodder type mobs. obviously I dont see them fighting beholders or Dragons anytime soon so I dont need any fancy mobs that can just own them right off the bat. Will keep you guys posted, and again thank you for all your input.

dredge
12-08-2011, 01:29 PM

nalkin
12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
My fondest memory of DnD is looking at a really hawt nymph or faerie or some shiz in the monster manual back in middle school. It had like a near transparent robe which was very riskay. Its what I picture akyra as when we doing the dirty... anyone got a blueline?