PDA

View Full Version : Another PC help thread

Mardur
11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Recently I only get sound out of the right channel. Can this be anything more than the soundcard (integrated into the motherboard) shitting the bed? Checked all my sound settings and everything is balanced left/right.

Diggles
11-22-2011, 02:57 PM
This is probably extremely obvious but did you check the plug in to the comp? If it's plugged in half assedly it goes only through one speaker

nilbog
11-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Checked cables? Unplug cables, plug in cables, power speakers off, power back on.

Speakers, properties, L balance is confirmed > 0?

http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/sound-audio/10759d1236877972-speaker-balance-issue-balance2.jpg

Samoht
11-22-2011, 03:03 PM
do the speakers work properly with a different sound source?

Diggles
11-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, test that too. Take out a phone or something and plug the audio cable into the headphone jack and play a youtube video/music.

Mardur
11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah tried all that. I've plugged in the headphones multiple times. One time I got sound out of the left channel for a split second =\

Diggles
11-22-2011, 05:22 PM
in that case i feel it's safe to say that your speakers are fucked or the audio cable is fucked

Mardur
11-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I've tried a set of speakers and my headphones.

So I think it may be the soundcard/motherboard :(

Just checking to see if maybe it could NOT be that, cause that would suck.

Hasbinbad
11-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Because:

You heard sound once for a second in the left channel.

and:

You tried other stereo devices which you know to work.

Your problem is:

A bad connection between the female audio connector and the portion of the sound card which translates the digital output to an audio signal. This is either due to an electrical short or a physically damaged connection

It is NOT part of the actual circuit board setup before the digital translation, or you wouldn't have heard it for a second.

The fix is probably very easy if you know anything about electronics. It may require some copper and some solder, it may just require that you rebend a bent tab.

The above fixes may void any warranty you have. Only attempt with knowledge and caution.

If you try to get it fixed by a corporate entity, they will replace your entire motherboard.

lululalana
11-22-2011, 08:19 PM
buy mac problem solved

Mardur
11-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Because:

You heard sound once for a second in the left channel.

and:

You tried other stereo devices which you know to work.

Your problem is:

A bad connection between the female audio connector and the portion of the sound card which translates the digital output to an audio signal. This is either due to an electrical short or a physically damaged connection

It is NOT part of the actual circuit board setup before the digital translation, or you wouldn't have heard it for a second.

The fix is probably very easy if you know anything about electronics. It may require some copper and some solder, it may just require that you rebend a bent tab.

The above fixes may void any warranty you have. Only attempt with knowledge and caution.

If you try to get it fixed by a corporate entity, they will replace your entire motherboard.

Thanks Hasbin, this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I'll take a look.

Edit: Now that I think of it, this occurs when I plug in from the back or the headphone jack in the front. Doesn't this kinda go against what you were saying?

Diggles
11-22-2011, 11:40 PM
audio cable is fucked

A bad connection between the female audio connector and the portion of the sound card which translates the digital output to an audio signal. This is either due to an electrical short or a physically damaged connection.

I don't like you Mardur

Mardur
11-22-2011, 11:54 PM
What?

Humerox
11-23-2011, 02:43 AM
What Hasbin says is correct. The port contact is probably the problem. Unfortunately, even most computer repair shops don't go through the trouble of soldering.

A cheap alternative? USB speakers...10 bucks at Wally World. (USB speakers have a built-in sound card).

Mardur
01-12-2012, 03:16 AM
Update:

Sent off a random email to Klipsch basically stating what the issue was and what they thought. With no bit of troubleshooting or anything they just sent me a new pair (retail packaging) of $80 headphones with no requirement to return my old ones.

New pair have sound in both channels.

The new pair have just a straight connector instead of my old pair's "L angled" connector so maybe their was a known issue?

WTS used pair of Image S4s that may or may not have sound in both channels.

Mardur
01-12-2012, 03:39 AM
wtf dood?

ZEROSUM
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
?