PDA

View Full Version : Question about Titanium Client and it's issues

Quiksilver
11-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Maybe I won't be intelligent enough to understand how it all works but does someone mind explaining this to me please?...

So Titanium is the client that this server uses... but why not load up classic $9.99 version of Everquest off of an old CD or something? Then make the changes needed as they are found on Patch Archive website? Or compare the file libraries on the original CD with a version of EQ released at a later date (like with Trilogy or Platinum Box sets). Unless the original Classic CD was never modified as there was already an automated patching system in place to do it for them?

I know to someone with vast knowledge of coding might see this as a total newb question but I am only asking because I want to try to help out the P99 team with some research and I'd like to know the basics of what we are dealing with here.

Cyclone
11-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Not totally understanding the question here.

2 Questions come to mind that would fit your post:

Why do they not host a full client with their changes already in place for a download with a custom install program?

Why do they not host a custom Classic/Kunark/Velious only client with a custom install program and current updates for this server?

Why do we not support the original Classic disk that was brought out when the game first became live?

If your questions center around the first 2, then the simple answer to this is they legally cannot do this. They can only legally run the game on their custom server code, allow connections from Everquest client, and make changes here and there but hosting the client in any way could allow SOE to target the project even though they do not make any profit.

Now if your question is actually the 3rd one, then the reason is they have used the Titanium client since the start of the project I believe because it holds both Kunark and Velious expantions and it is also the easiest to get ahold of.

The Team {as far as I know} did not want to have to support more than 1 client at a time.

Quiksilver
11-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Lol i know I know sorry but I guess my topic should have read "Question(s) about Titanium"

Quiksilver
11-19-2011, 02:56 PM
the reason for 20 questions today is because i've happened across some old interviews with some EQ staff and I wanted to get a better understanding of how this all works. P99 is great and all but i think we can all agree it's kind of missing something.... I consider myself a perfectionist and I cant really relax and play when I see all the little details that are just not the same (according to my memory, anyway)

Quiksilver
11-19-2011, 03:23 PM
If your questions center around the first 2, then the simple answer to this is they legally cannot do this. They can only legally run the game on their custom server code, allow connections from Everquest client, and make changes here and there but hosting the client in any way could allow SOE to target the project even though they do not make any profit.

Where is the line drawn as far as legality is concerned? The P99 crew does change the behavior of the game in a way to try and recreate Classic EQ do they not? And while it is similar I doubt it is the same files and coding as the original release. So, in a way aren't they customizing the Titanium client? If this is the case, then they could do the same thing with an earlier release, right?

One would think it would be an easier process using an earlier version of the game, no? To me, it seems like it the knowledge we have today about computer science and coding would make it easier to work with something like this.

Makar
11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
They arent modifying the client tho. They are writing the server code to be able to communicate with the client the SOE already wrote. The only thing they really modify is the EQhost file to cause the client to communicate with the EQEmu servers instead of the live servers.

bomaroast
11-23-2011, 01:39 AM
This is a discussion for EQEmu, not Project1999, and the largest reason is because the server/clients needed to be standardized when EQEmu was being created.

And over at the Emu boards they'll scream at you, "P99 is not EQEmu!"