PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this: Classic pet experience distribution.

georgie
11-16-2011, 08:41 PM
does this mean I will get less exp if my pet is up? also, if so and i have my pet up with a group member does this mean his xp is cut because i have my pet out? or only my xp is cut because it is my pet.

webrunner5
11-16-2011, 09:08 PM
As I see it if you don't do 51% of the total damage your pet takes 75% XP solo.

Same in a group. If your pet does all the damage your group only gets 25% XP. But almost any group is going to do damage so it is my understanding that in groups XP will be normal.

Charming is a whole different story. Not really sure on it. I think Charmed pets are the same XP loss as a Summoned one.

Zenlina
11-16-2011, 10:32 PM

What? I correct that and say, if you don't do any damage to the mob at all then the pet gets 75%. Reason it was put in was because necros were able to just FD have the pet up and goto sleep and get free XP. They modified afew things as to make it so you dont benefit by doing this anymore, the 75% hit, or more to the point of 90% is one of them. How much would it suck if you had to outdmg the pet, zomg agro.... run!

Diggles
11-16-2011, 10:38 PM
you have to outdamage the pet, that's part of the huge pet leveling thread that happened a week ago. Read patch notes.

Zenlina
11-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Here are the basic rules, along with some examples -

Situation 1 - You are soloing and you have a summoned pet-
* If you do any damage to the monster at all, you get all of the experience.
* If you don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.

Situation 2 - You are in a group and you have a summoned pet-
* If you or your group do any damage to the monster at all, your group gets all of the experience.
* If you or your group don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.

Damage shields count as neutral damage; Neither you nor your pet get credit for damage done by a damage shield.

If your pet dies or is reclaimed mid-battle, all damage done by it is considered zero for experience purposes.

It makes no difference if your pet gets the killing blow or not.

^^ That is the basic concept, if you have to out dmg the pet on this sever then they got it all wrong

Zenlina
11-16-2011, 10:54 PM
O crap okey i see now....

In the old scheme, if a Dire Charmed pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half of the experience reward. In the new scheme, if a Dire Charmed pet does more than half of the damage to a monster, it takes 25% - 50% of the experience reward, depending on damage done. This means that things are about the same as they were for Dire Charmed pets before, except they take less experience than they used to in most cases. As long as your pet doesn't do a lot more damage than you, you'll get more experience than you used to. In the worst case (unless you don't do any damage at all), your pet will take half the experience just like it used to. The one exception to this is - If you don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience. What's the bottom line? With the new rules, players get more experience than they used to with a pet in almost every situation. The only way you can get less than before is if you or your group don't damage a monster. As long as you do any damage at all, your pet will never take the 75% experience share. Make sure you do a bit of damage, and your summoned or regular charmed pets won't take a single point of experience. For Dire charmed pets it's better also - If you do half the damage to a monster, the Dire Charmed pet takes no experience. If you do less than half, your pet takes as little as 25% of the experience when it used to always take half. It can still take up to half the experience if you don't do much damage, but if you're contributing to the damage you'll get more than you used to.

georgie
11-16-2011, 11:28 PM

Same in a group. If your pet does all the damage your group only gets 25% XP. But almost any group is going to do damage so it is my understanding that in groups XP will be normal.

Charming is a whole different story. Not really sure on it. I think Charmed pets are the same XP loss as a Summoned one.

i believe that is for taking the loot/xp kill from another player.

georgie
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
my question is if i have a group of players 4 (pets)mages and 2 other classes. aslong as i do some damage we will all get the xp?

Slave
11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
All wrong. This is how it works:

If all pets combined deal 51% of the damage to a mob or more, they steal 50% of the experience. That is all.

MrSparkle001
11-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Here are the basic rules, along with some examples -

Situation 1 - You are soloing and you have a summoned pet-
* If you do any damage to the monster at all, you get all of the experience.
* If you don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.

^^ That is the basic concept, if you have to out dmg the pet on this sever then they got it all wrong

No that's not how it is now. That's how it was. The server was patched to classic rules. It used to be that you could do 1 damage and get 100% of the XP. Now you have to make sure your pet doesn't do 50% of the damage or you lose 50% of the XP, which may mean you have to do over 50% of the damage yourself (damage shields will lower your requirement).

The current system here is the old system. The former system here was the new system you described. The former system is superior in every way and most of us pet classes do not like the change.

This link explains it: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=960

The new system it talks about is the system we used to have here.

How is this different than the old way for non-Dire Charmed pets? In the old scheme, if a pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half the experience reward. In the new scheme, pets take zero experience unless no player does damage. If no player does any damage, then the pet takes 75% of the experience reward This means that it's much easier to make sure a pet doesn't take any experience from you or your group. In most situations where a pet would have taken half the experience before, it now takes no experience at all.

The old scheme it talks about is our current scheme here. The new scheme is the old one we had.

Kasilis
11-17-2011, 06:02 AM
As long as you do any damage at all, your pet will never take the 75% experience share. Make sure you do a bit of damage, and your summoned or regular charmed pets won't take a single point of experience.

Where do you take that information from?

patch notes 23 oct

Kanras: Classic pet experience distribution.

Today:

0% damage --> 0 xp

<50%damage --> 25% xp

>51% damage --> 100% xp

Same goes for charmed pets in and outside of groups.

There are atleast 3 huge threads about this topic.

webrunner5
11-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Where do you take that information from?

patch notes 23 oct

Today:

0% damage --> 0 xp

<50%damage --> 25% xp

>51% damage --> 100% xp

Thanks Kasilis for clearing it up. I said pretty much the same thing in my first thread. You only get 25% XP solo now on a Mage. That is why I have stopped playing mine and my Enchanter solo. Pet agro is next to useless.

They have pretty much thrown two of my toons under the bus now for soloing. I can outdamage my Necro pet so that seems to work. But having 1/4 of the XP I used to get just sucks on my Mage.

Ytrafik
11-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Today:

0% damage --> 0 xp

<50%damage --> 25% xp

>51% damage --> 100% xp

When I charm an animal with my druid alt, I keep aggro with lots of "snare" casted on the mob and my pet is doing 100% of the dmg. I still get XP !

Slave
11-17-2011, 09:09 AM
All wrong. This is how it works:

If all pets combined deal 51% of the damage to a mob or more, they steal 50% of the experience. That is all.

bhatz01
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Class breaking change. That is all.

MrSparkle001
11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
When I charm an animal with my druid alt, I keep aggro with lots of "snare" casted on the mob and my pet is doing 100% of the dmg. I still get XP !

Yeah but you don't get what you should.

Changing it on live was one of the best and simplest things they've done. Removing that change here was a bad idea.

Vardamur
11-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah but you don't get what you should.

Changing it on live was one of the best and simplest things they've done. Removing that change here was a bad idea.

You missed the whole point of his thread. If we use the rule posted above (and he quoted the patch notes), he "should" be getting ZERO XP. He said his pet is doing ALL damage to the mob and he is still getting XP, which tells me the quoted patch notes are either wrong or this guy is doing some damage.

Flunklesnarkin
11-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Can you drop your pet and get full exp?

Slave
11-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Can you drop your pet and get full exp?

Sure.

Zenlina
11-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Went through some of the older p99 patch notes, looks like this change was already put in ages ago

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3134

Patch Notes, February 18th, 2010
- Rogean: Pets doing 50% of the damage to a mob will now take 50% of xp If ungrouped.

And some other pet changes....

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11843

Haynar: Pets should now dual wield again for all pet levels summoned by the appropriate spells. (Use to have to equip pets 2 weapons at lvl 24 for them to duel wield, and at 39 they use to be auto duel wield without equipping)

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16165

Bumamgar: Pets will no longer be added to hatelist of engaged mobs during passive aggro checks. This prevents mobs that are FD on a group/raid from aggroing pets first. (not sure what this one means, i think mobs in range of pets use to always jump the pets before PCs)

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33579

Kanras: Pets will no longer automatically dual wield at a certain level. (translation is that no pet will duel wield unless you put weapons on it)

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45360

Kanras: Pets will use same calculations as PCs when doing double attack/dual wield rolls. (Translation, all pet overall dmg has been reduced, they use to be hitting and kicking/bashing for 40+ most the time, now they are pansy)

Slave
11-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Translation: pets nerfed in dual wield, damage, experience, and aggro.

(anyone that has been around a while knows that this got WAY out of hand)

MrSparkle001
11-18-2011, 12:58 AM
You missed the whole point of his thread. If we use the rule posted above (and he quoted the patch notes), he "should" be getting ZERO XP. He said his pet is doing ALL damage to the mob and he is still getting XP, which tells me the quoted patch notes are either wrong or this guy is doing some damage.

There's no patch notes that say he should be getting zero XP. That quote is not patch notes. Read my link to official notes about the difference between old and new XP system. Nowhere does it say that pets ever took 100% XP.

Classic pet experience distribution is this, from my link:

For non-dire charmed pets: "In the old scheme, if a pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half the experience reward."

For dire charmed pets: "In the old scheme, if a Dire Charmed pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half of the experience reward."

It's really that simple. Old scheme = classic scheme, which is now what we have unless everyone misread what Kanras said in the patch notes. If the old scheme is not the classic scheme, then what is the classic scheme?

martinrm4
11-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Went through some of the older p99 patch notes, looks like this change was already put in ages ago

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3134

Patch Notes, February 18th, 2010
- Rogean: Pets doing 50% of the damage to a mob will now take 50% of xp If ungrouped.

Look very hard at this - I checked, and if I group with someone and they are in another zone, I'm pretty sure I get 100% without doing any dmg to mob.

Check - and huddle together in great big mage solo groups :D

Vardamur
11-18-2011, 10:03 AM
There's no patch notes that say he should be getting zero XP. That quote is not patch notes. Read my link to official notes about the difference between old and new XP system. Nowhere does it say that pets ever took 100% XP.

Classic pet experience distribution is this, from my link:

For non-dire charmed pets: "In the old scheme, if a pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half the experience reward."

For dire charmed pets: "In the old scheme, if a Dire Charmed pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half of the experience reward."

It's really that simple. Old scheme = classic scheme, which is now what we have unless everyone misread what Kanras said in the patch notes. If the old scheme is not the classic scheme, then what is the classic scheme?

I was quoting what Kasilis wrote as Oct 23 Patch Notes. Guess he mis-quoted then. Glad he's wrong.

Slave
11-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Look very hard at this - I checked, and if I group with someone and they are in another zone, I'm pretty sure I get 100% without doing any dmg to mob.

Check - and huddle together in great big mage solo groups :D

This is a pretty good thing to know, thank you.

pickled_heretic
11-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Can this be confirmed? Can you group with someone and have the exp penalty be invalidated??

I would praise the lord Rogean if I could get an official response about this.

feste
11-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Translation: pets nerfed in dual wield, damage, experience, and aggro.

(anyone that has been around a while knows that this got WAY out of hand)