PDA

View Full Version : Client just shuts down

Tallenn
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I've run across a very irritating problem. I'll be playing the game (usually killing stuff), and the client will just shut down. I assume I go LD. So far, it hasn't caused any deaths, but it's only a matter of time. More importantly, the game is just unplayable if I know the game could crash at any time.

This has just started recently- I was playing fine for three weeks prior, then this past Sunday it happened 3 times within about a half hour of loading up.

I already updated my Nvidia drivers, and it is still happening.

Any ideas?

Atennu
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Could very well deal with the issue the entire serving is facing. Please look at the front page and read Rogeans message to the server.

Tallenn
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
It's not that I'm going LD, my client is crashing- not locking up, just closing, as if I had hit the X button on the window.

It doesn't make sense to me that it could be related, but do you think it could be? If so, then I won't worry about it. I'll just wait until the issue is over with.

Bones
04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Hmm no it is not related. I used to have this issue years ago and forgot what i did to fix it. You using any form of WinEQ?

SpartanEQ
04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
This happened to me a few days ago while I was looting my corpse. I picked-up two items and a skeleton ran up and hit me. As soon as it did, the game just vanished. I hadn't seen this problem before and haven't since.

Vista Business 64-bit, 8800 GTS 512

It didn't leave anything in the Application Logs.

Tallenn
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
No WinEQ, but I am running in Windowed mode. If I try to run in full screen, I have an invisible mouse cursor. THAT problem has been happening for as long as I can remember though, both on live, and in P99.

Sadface
04-14-2010, 07:12 AM
I have the same problem with all of the eqemu servers. Client just randomly shuts down (every couple hours for me, usually after a pull heh)

Anyone have a solutions ?????????

Lill-Leif
04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Does shutting down apply only to Everquest or does it happens in other 3D games as well?

Im asking because of this season with warmer weather computers tend to run a bit hotter which might cause crashes/freezes..

Tallenn
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
It doesn't happen in EQ Live, and I don't really play any other games at the moment.

I got to thinking, and I wonder if it might be because of some UI changes I made. I made a bank window without the shared bank, and put in a line that stopped the xml file error from showing up even in default skin- I noticed that happens in live too, so I wonder if it's left unfixed on purpose because the fix causes crashes?

Anyway, the timing is such that it could very well be something I did in the UI files, since it started happening like right after I made that change. It didn't dawn on me until a couple of days ago that that could be it. When the server comes back up, I will give it a try with just the default UI, see if it is still crashing. Actually, I may give it a try in PEQ or something tonight...

Tallenn
04-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Well, I played on PEQ last night for an hour to an hour and a half, and no crash. I'm thinking it's probably something to do with what I did in those UI files. I guess I'll just live with having shared bank slots on my bank window.

If it turns out it's still crashing, I'll update.

JaVeDK
04-17-2010, 01:03 PM
This just started happening to me today. Been playing on P99 since early march without any problems. Happened trice today within a few hours - caused me to die once =(

Elendae
05-20-2010, 02:10 AM
bumping this from a bit back. This has happened to me probably ~15 times since I joined the server. The last time was earlier today as I was kiting in West Karana. It's probably the third or fourth time its happened in WKarana. I can't really pinpoint it any further. I'm usually casting and hitting the movement keys at the same time, but I've been auto-running before and the screen poofs too.

Tallenn
05-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Just an update for me.

After I removed those ui files, this seemed to clear up, but it hasn't completely. It's happening only very rarely now (maybe once every two weeks or so), but does still happen. Still no idea how to fix it.

Kirdan
05-20-2010, 11:35 PM
I've experienced this as well, it's as if I hit alt+f4: the window just closes itself. It even happens when I'm not touching any keys, just sitting their medding. It is rare, I can recall maybe 4 times that it's happened over the past 2 months.

I don't recall which zone I was in when it happened previously, but last night it happened to me in WK and the ogre I was kiting had his way with me.

I don't use any UI mods, just the default.

Zordana
05-20-2010, 11:58 PM
this happens to me too once in a while.. i think this is due to miscommunication between the server and the client, client recieves something unexpected - tho this is only a GUESS!

Elendae
05-22-2010, 03:17 PM
happened just now. 1:18 MST in South Karana. I can't seem to pinpoint what exactly I'm doing.

Edit: hooray, corpse run.

Savok
05-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't use any UI mods, just the default.

The default UI has lots of errors in it also, just FYI. If the devs are happy, I'm willing to create a 'classic' and 'velious' default UI that stops all of the UI errors if you want.

Tali Ni'Zora
05-22-2010, 06:11 PM
The default UI has lots of errors in it also, just FYI. If the devs are happy, I'm willing to create a 'classic' and 'velious' default UI that stops all of the UI errors if you want.

That would be fantastic, if you're willing.

Just installed the game and jumped into P99, only to have three client crashes within a 30 min span.

Playing on a laptop, though I am using a small fan on it, so perhaps it's just hot internally?

Arkanjil
05-22-2010, 06:36 PM
hum....

Elendae
05-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Boo happening more frequently. Happened again, 6:24 (-7GMT) in South Qeynos.

Kirdan
05-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Just happened twice about 15 minutes apart in Blackburrow.

Arkis
05-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah this seems to happen randomly for me. I do use a custom UI, but I don't think that's it.

Sometimes it happens two times in a row... sometimes not. The client just exits. That's it... poof. It's happened to me in guk, oot, s. karana, solb, and twice in Najena as i'm typing this up.

Malrubius
05-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Same here. Never an issue before. Twice today though.

Elendae
06-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Is anyone else using wineq and/or eqplaynice? I am getting very frustrated with this. It's happening a lot more commonly and always results in a swift and bitter death at the hands of whatever is chasing me. Every death of mine for the past 10 levels has been because of this, 3 in the last 2 days, and I'm only playing for an hour or two a night.

Savok
06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Have you tried the new default UI in my sig?

rioisk
06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
This happens to me infrequently....most of the time it's because i'm pushing a lot of buttons at once and panning the camera around.

Elendae
06-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I'll give it a shot Savok.

Seems to happen when I'm hitting a lot of keys as well.

Morndenkainen
06-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Happens to me from time to time too. Its like the client just dissapears in the middle of whatever, really weird. This happened twice before the latest patch, and has happened twice today after the patch. It was a good couple weeks between the earlier crashes, and perhaps no more than 30 minutes between the two today.. No real clue what causes it. It only happens while im fighting something though. Fortunatley, it seems that my pet will stay alive long enough to finish the fight and I wont die.. Well, except for one occasion. Spoke to a guide and they told me to turn on the log with the /log command and check the eqlog.txt file if it happens again... Hopefully that will help. If you guys havent done that yet, give it a shot. The more info available, the better. Who knows, perhaps there's a simple solution to the issue.

JayDee
06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
This shit happens to me and my friend as well. No idea how to fix it and even though I've ran into a few people who have the same problem, nobody has a solution.

Morndenkainen
06-12-2010, 06:23 PM
[Sat Jun 12 17:22:31 2010] a wooly mammoth was hit by non-melee for 25 points of damage.
[Sat Jun 12 17:22:32 2010] a wooly mammoth was hit by non-melee for 26 points of damage.
[Sat Jun 12 17:22:33 2010] Taunting Attacker Master
[Sat Jun 12 17:22:33 2010] You begin casting Renew Summoning.
[Sat Jun 12 17:22:33 2010] a wooly mammoth was hit by non-melee for 26 points of damage.
[Sat Jun 12 17:22:35 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139324287)

Always seems to happen in combat, Im pretty sure I wasnt panning around, but here's the message I got from the log when it crashed... Anyone have any ideas here?

<edit>
Side note, this is the third time its happened today. I've been playing quite a while, and this is the most its ever happened before. Its quite rare that it happens to me, the only other times I can think of it happening seem to have been a few weeks ago. Also, if it happens again, I'll be sure to post the eqlog info for that too.

<edit>
Well, its almost a day later, and it hasnt happened since, and I've been logging the whole time... I dont understand what caused it... Funny that it happens so sporadically, I tink teh internetz jus haz a brian fahrt.

Morndenkainen
06-13-2010, 03:06 PM
And then completley out of the blue... It shuts down again.

[Sun Jun 13 14:04:48 2010] a wooly mammoth was hit by non-melee for 29 points of damage.
[Sun Jun 13 14:04:49 2010] A wooly mammoth gores Xener for 41 points of damage.
[Sun Jun 13 14:04:49 2010] ERROR: String not found. (1936879466)

Completley different string error.. Anyone got an idea whats happening?

President
06-13-2010, 03:34 PM
And then completley out of the blue... It shuts down again.

[Sun Jun 13 14:04:48 2010] a wooly mammoth was hit by non-melee for 29 points of damage.
[Sun Jun 13 14:04:49 2010] A wooly mammoth gores Xener for 41 points of damage.
[Sun Jun 13 14:04:49 2010] ERROR: String not found. (1936879466)

Completley different string error.. Anyone got an idea whats happening?

Have you made any changes to your game files aside from nek/lava etc.? UI changes?

I haven't experienced any of these crashes, but never modified my UI/files aside from nek/lava etc.

May be worth a reinstall.

danno
06-14-2010, 12:15 PM
This has been happening to me almost from the get go, (I only started playing about 2 weeks ago), but it almost always happens within the first 15-30 minutes of playing, and invariably after I have pulled something.. wasn't so bad in the low levels, but now into the 20's, it's been death every freaking time. Lost quite a bit of exp to this now. Just happened about 10 minutes ago, right around 9am PST.

gprater
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM
It's not that I'm going LD, my client is crashing- not locking up, just closing, as if I had hit the X button on the window.

It doesn't make sense to me that it could be related, but do you think it could be? If so, then I won't worry about it. I'll just wait until the issue is over with.

The same thing happened to me about 4 days ago..only one time so far...was weird...not like any other tech glitch ive ever seen with this game..just Poof...gone

Morndenkainen
06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Installed the game, followed the instructions to mod it to the letter. And ironically, it hasnt happened since. Danno, can you turn the /log on in EQ and post the string error's your getting? Maybe there's some relation...

New crash out of the blue after running fine for a LONG time..
[Sun Jun 20 12:03:03 2010] Targeted (NPC): a wooly mammoth
[Sun Jun 20 12:03:03 2010] Right click on the NPC to consider it.
[Sun Jun 20 12:03:04 2010] Kibarn tells you, 'Attacking a wooly mammoth Master.'
[Sun Jun 20 12:03:05 2010] a wooly mammoth regards you indifferently -- it appears to be quite formidable.
[Sun Jun 20 12:03:06 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139061887)

A 3rd unique string value... I dont get it.. :( As far as I can tell, it really only occurs shortly after engaging in combat.

danno
06-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Heh, go figure, I haven't had a single episode of vanishing game client since my post. I know it's just waiting to attack again, but I swear, it's like since I've started using the /log command, it's gotten scared.

Morndenkainen
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
I dont know if they've changed somethign serverside or not (Such as mobs dropping aggro on LD players), but if they did, im happy as hell... my client poofed a while ago, didnt have the log running, (I know, stupid me.) But somehow I didnt die while fighting a HG. Used to be the problem only happened in perma, and no, im not running any other UI mods, just the standard EQ Titanium interface...

Arkis
06-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Just happened three times in a row to me in PoH. Dunno what it is. The first time I was twisting, second time I was moving, third time I was just standing there...

danno
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM
And.. just when I thought I was safe, bam, client just up and vanishes, and I'm staring at my desktop, /facepalm. Happened about 10 minutes after logging in, and of course, just after I had pulled something to kite. That'll teach me to not turn my log file on. Hadn't happened for almost a month too. Un-ding, back to 40..

Deric
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
This happens to me occasionally as well. It usually seems to occur while I am kiting something of course.. >.>

It wasn't a big deal when you could just log back in right away. Though after the update a few months back it makes things a little more nerve raking while you wait at the server login screen.

Drakul
08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Have you tried rebooting or checking to see that the game isn't making your processor or video card run too hot?

This started happening to me last week, but I found that my laptop seemed to be overheating... I downloaded speedfan (has built in temperature sensors) and I noticed running EQ was raising the temps in my laptop quite a bit. I have to qualify this by saying that I think the fan inside my laptop may have died recently because it's been running hot in general, but games seem to push it past it's limit lately.

I got a regular housefan and pointed it directly at the hot part of my laptop where the fan is, the temps went down, and EQ stopped shutting down on me for a few days... until last night when EQ crashed three times in a half hour... no errors, just shutdown. After the third time I rebooted my laptop and did not have anymore crashes over the course of the next few hours.

Estu
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I've been having this issue as well. Crashes about once every 5ish hours of game time. Has definite potential to be deadly, but I haven't died from it yet - haven't been playing that long. It usually happens when I'm doing something, not just medding, so I'll see if I can log it as well.

Estu
08-07-2010, 07:36 PM
OK, so it keeps happening - how do I log it to see if I'm getting this string error?

danno
08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Simply type the following:

/log

This will start a running log file that is located in your EQ/Logs/ folder. However, you do have to restart it everytime you log in I believe.

On that note, once again, coincidence or no, as soon as I started turning the log on again, my crashes have ceased.. not sure.

bionicbadger
08-07-2010, 11:48 PM
set affinity to run on one core only when you launch EQ

Estu
08-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Bionicbadger: what do you mean? Are you saying multicore processors cause the crashing? What's affinity?

bionicbadger
08-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Bionicbadger: what do you mean? Are you saying multicore processors cause the crashing? What's affinity?
It may be. Try this:

change your everquest shortcut to be something like:

cmd.exe /C Start /affinity 1 eqgame.exe patchme

My windows 7 EQ shortcut looks like this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 F:\Games\EQ\eqgame.exe patchme

it forces the program to only use CPU 1

Estu
08-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Haven't had any issues since doing your change, badger; I think it might have fixed it. Thanks, man!

Threepoint
08-11-2010, 09:55 AM
This just happened to me as well. Ofcourse while I was kiting a number of hill giants. I knew what the outcome would be as soon as it shut down (naked at bind). I am not too comfortable shutting down chips or cores or w/e. Can anyone verify if that works. Better yet, if there is any other solutions ?

Onadan
08-11-2010, 10:11 AM
This just happened to me as well. Ofcourse while I was kiting a number of hill giants. I knew what the outcome would be as soon as it shut down (naked at bind). I am not too comfortable shutting down chips or cores or w/e. Can anyone verify if that works. Better yet, if there is any other solutions ?

You're not "shutting down chips or cores" you are setting the executables process threads to use a single processor rather than 2 or 4 processors.

danno
08-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Setting the affinity on my computer solved some problems a long time ago, (aka; lack of animation, slow motion, inevitable crashing), but it has not solved the Insta-Client-Poof problem. Atleast not on my computer. I already had the affinities set on my command lines a long time before this problem began affecting me. Not saying it shouldn't be tried, just that it hasn't been the be-all, end-all fix.

Morticon
08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
This was happening to me a lot too a month or so ago -- complete client shutdown usually while in combat with a log message about "String not found."

I noticed that it typically happened soon after logging in especially if I hadn't zoned yet. Once I started routinely zoning at least once after logging in, the problem went away. I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or not, but it is painful to test out thoroughly given the xp loss I usually suffer when it happens.

For those that have experienced the problem, does the lack of zoning scenario sound familiar? Does your log file support that?

--Morticon

Evilmog
08-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Core issues? I know many MMO's that progressed through-out this decade had to make optimization for Multicore processors, I figured EQ had to be one of them, and would've been implemented sometime before the Titanium pack release.

Could be wrong, but Duo Core has ran this game flawless so far. Although it may just be a ticking time bomb given the time frame you provided.

I'm heading into my 3rd week too, so maybe I can expect this issues over the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up :D

Klath
08-21-2010, 05:19 AM
I've been running into this problem intermittently for a while now. It's frustrating because it's rare enough that it's hard to know if you've managed fix it.

I've tried the following:

* Setting the process affinity by starting the game like:
cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 eqgame.exe patchme

* Launching the game through WinEQ (v2.15)

* Using /loadskin to run with different user interfaces

* Updating/removing the maps in the map directory

* Changing/reducing graphics/sound settings (still playing with this)

The string errors I've seen since enabling logging are:

ERROR: String not found. (2105441918)
ERROR: String not found. (-2139061115)
ERROR: String not found. (-2139062144)
ERROR: String not found. (1904643202)

My system:
Video driver: ATI Radeon 5800 Series v8.732.0.0
CPU: i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
RAM: 12GB

Has anyone been able to successfully eliminate this problem? Given the rarity I've wondered if it might be related to the in-game weather changes but that's little more than a wild guess.

XDrake
08-22-2010, 06:23 PM
This has happened to me over a dozen times this weekend. Always during pulls with my Necromancer. I am always pressing something when it happens. It has killed me four times now. :( And there are never GMs around to rez me.

fastboy21
08-22-2010, 10:26 PM
There are gms around...unless they saw it happen, and maybe even if they did, it would just appear as ld death. You aren't going to get gm rez for local problems that appear to be ld deaths from any evidence that a gm can see...

Sorry about your bug issue, but if you are waiting for gm rez it most likely isn't coming.

Edit:I do agree with you that we need more guides though...it just wouldn't make a difference in your situation IMO.

Klath
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
For those that have experienced the problem, does the lack of zoning scenario sound familiar?

Yes, that seems to fit with what I've observed as well. Zoning may provide a workaround. I'm going to make a point of zoning at least once shortly after logging in and see if I get any more client poofing.

Klath
08-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I played around with this a bit today and discovered that I don't get any client-poofing when I log in another character prior to logging in the one I actually want to play.

My meager test cases don't really comprise a statistically significant sample set but, if this problem is causing you grief, you might give this a try and see how it works for you.

Estu
08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Have been getting this issue since I started. Finally got one recorded in the log (was forgetful about logging before):

[Wed Aug 25 14:57:05 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139324287)

This is also the one that caused my first death. It also occurred after zoning, so that doesn't work to prevent it. Will try logging onto another character first to see if that prevents it. I really hope the devs look into this.

Pescador
08-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Interesting; I have this same problem, and just after I crashed I checked these forums and saw that someone mentioned the client crashed if you don't zone after logging in. Sure enough, I had just logged in and begun kiting and I crashed about 5 minutes into my game session. I'll do some trial and errors to see if the issue persists if I don't zone, and whether it is elminated if I do zone.

I HAVE noticed that I can leave the game on for a long time without crashing sometimes... perhaps this is simply because I zoned?

EDIT: zoned a few times since then, and just crashed. This was about 10 mins since I zoned into WKarana. I was browsing merchant goods and the game window just disappeared. So, zoning didn't seem to cure the problem, though it did last a while before shutting down again.

qwrtish
08-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Are you all using sound? I constantly had these crashes while kiting bandits in WK. Usually one a day or so. Admittedly, I've left the zone since then, but I didn't get any crashes after I turned off sound (I stayed in WK for maybe another day or so). Had thought it might be UI related, but I've been using the velious UI available here for some time now without sound and everything seems fine.

Estu
08-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Tried using no sound (and also setting affinity 1); no difference. Zoning also makes no difference. Might try logging in as another character first, but it's looking dubious.

Bigcountry23
08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Had this happen a few times last night in WK while killing Scarecrows. It was occurring when I was casting Ward Undead (usually as it was "going off").

fwaits
08-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Try setting the Max Frames Per Second slider to 60 (If it's at 100) and see if that does anything helpful.

Pescador
08-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Haven't had this problem so far in butcherblock / unrest / gfay.

Perhaps it's related to the karanas? I definitely had the issue in NK quite frequently.

Estu
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I've had it in Butcherblock. I don't think it's zone-based; I haven't noticed particular zones having affinities for it.

Klath
08-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Tried using no sound (and also setting affinity 1); no difference. Zoning also makes no difference. Might try logging in as another character first, but it's looking dubious.

FWIW, despite racking up a lot of playtime over the last few days, I haven't had a single client-poof since I started logging in/out another character before logging in the one I want to play.

thermite187
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
This is what is happening to me, Windows 7 Enterprise: 4GB RAM AMD 64 4000+ (Single Core) GEForce7600GT:
Every 30 minutes or so I crash and get kicked out. It appears to be a kernel error. And the video drivers crash quite regularly. Look in your application logs I found this:

Happens everytime it crashes:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1:
P2:
P3:
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WD-20100829-0926.dmp
C:\Windows\Temp\WER-2282484-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Windows\Temp\WERD76F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xm l

And this one logs into the event logs every other crash or so:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

The driver randomly just stops responding. First I thought it was that I was running dual display so I unplugged the second monitor. No good. I updated the latest drivers. Still happens...

Also the cooling in this machine is nuts... so it couldn't be a heat issue.

RAM is good, very fast DDR memory that I have tested with memtest x86

Anyone else experiencing problems with GeForce based cards? There must be a trend. I'm thinking about buying an ATI card since my 7 series card is of age anyways...

Malrubius
08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
If you're not getting "String not found" then that's something else. You might consider starting a new thread.

Estu
08-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Setting FPS to 60 instead of 100 doesn't fix it.

Torin_Stormchaser
08-31-2010, 06:09 PM
the first couple of times I got string not found errors. but it usually happens within the first 5 minutes of me logging in.
I've only started having this issue recently starting just a few days ago. I haven't died yet because of it but I can feel it coming.
This is happening on 2 different computers. Don't know what's going on.
It has not happened while I used EQLite though.

casterlord
09-07-2010, 06:23 AM
keep crashing normally close to starting to play between 1 and 3 times then it stops untill the next day i sign on any ideas?

Pescador
09-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Alright.... so the crashing issues have gotten bad enough that I'm considering just giving up and retiring my bard. I have crashed on 5 out of the last 6 attempts to kite, and I've lost about a third of a hell level's exp =/

Does ANYONE have any advice to stop these random crashes?

I am on windows 7 64bit, with a core2duo processor and a first-generation 8800 GTS.

I've tried running in fullscreen, windows, using WinEQ 2.15, forcing 1 core by several means, and no matter what I try, the client just randomly shuts down, almost exclusively during combat, but sometimes when I'm switching equipment or interacting with a merchant.

It's pretty frustrating that I have gotten negative exp for the last few days because of this issue... I doubt I will keep playing if I'm unable to play my bard, because charm/aoe kiting is one of the things I most enjoyed about classic eq. Help!!

Klath
09-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I've tried running in fullscreen, windows, using WinEQ 2.15, forcing 1 core by several means, and no matter what I try, the client just randomly shuts down, almost exclusively during combat, but sometimes when I'm switching equipment or interacting with a merchant.

The problem was happening to me almost (but not quite) exclusively in large zones (SK and OOT). I was able to greatly reduce the frequency of the problem by logging another toon in, logging them out, and then logging in the character i wanted to play. This hasn't eliminated the problem altogether but since I started doing this I haven't crashed all in OOT or the Karanas.

Mollusc_Munchies
09-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I've been having the same issue since the last patch. I was in MM this morning for about two hours, and it happened three times. Pretty pointless trying to play, they need to figure out wtf is going on, or I'd guess a lot of people are going to bail.

Sniffles

Hodge
09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
@ Torin stormchaser, i've had that same problem..simply lower your FPS to 30-40. that fixed my problem when the game was autocrashing.

Pescador
09-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Lowering FPS to 45 has helped (so far). Haven't played extensively since making that change, though.

One issue with lower FPS is that turning your character left and right using the movement keys takes a LOT longer. This is a pretty big deal for bard kiting. However, I'll take fewer crashes over faster turning any day.

Dunes
09-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Ive noticed a sharp spike in these crashes since the most recent patch (oddly enough, the patch notes list "Crash Fixes"?). It has always been a minor issue, but has spiked to where I cant play for more than an hour or 2 before it happens. Frame rate lowered to 50, tried the single core fix, and everything else suggested in earlier posts. Next step Ill nix the sound and reduce frame rate even further.

System:
i7 920 at stock speeds
nVidia 460x2 (in SLI)
Windows 7 Ultimate
6 gigs of RAM (3x2GB) in triple channel DDR

JayDee
09-18-2010, 03:02 AM
System:
i7 920 at stock speeds
nVidia 460x2 (in SLI)
Windows 7 Ultimate
6 gigs of RAM (3x2GB) in triple channel DDR

My system is on par with yours and I am still experiencing this stupid bug.

Never happened on live either. Weird weird shit

Dunes
09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Well, tried reducing frame rate further to 35 fps an turned off sound - crashed within 30 minutes of logging on.

I know the devs are really busy, but I hope that they have an idea about what is causing this, and that they are working on it. To be honest, its had taken EQ from everything that I could wish for to a very frustrating experience.:(

Pescador
09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Try going into your options at the menu screen, and reducing everything to "default".

Also try to reduce most of your graphical options. I basically turned everything down to the minimum and it *seems* to have reduced my crash rate (could just be luck so far).

The options I haven't messed with yet are the advanced options... pixel shaders 1.2, pixel shaders 1.6, etc... I'm considering just unchecking EVERYTHING and turning all options to the minimum, and stress testing that setup for a week. If I don't crash, I'll just turn on one option at a time until I start seeing crashes again. Hopefully I find the culprit.

But for now, just turn down all graphics options to a minimum; it seems to help.

Dunes
09-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Pescador - Good advice, and Ill give that a shot. Good luck tracking down the culprit! Once its identified, please let us know :D

Malrubius
09-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Given that the client is crashing because it is unable to find a string resource of some kind, I doubt that messing with graphics settings will be of any help.

I wish I were wrong...but I really doubt it.

iiNGloriouS
09-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Edit - Fixed it by simply reinstalling.

Ryujee
09-20-2010, 03:29 AM
does it to me, no idea why. it also lets me click the quick launch bar and programs near the outer edge of the full screen. it has also been known to black out the screen and tell me "reset device has failed"

Dunes
09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Edit - Fixed it by simply reinstalling.

iiNGlorious, it has been a couple of days since your post - can you confirm that this is still a solution that works?

As with so many software issues in the past, a recommended solution is to reinstall. My personal experience with this, unfortunately, is that reinstall is a last act of desperatation and tends not work (for me). I will give it a shot and see what happens, and one can hope for the best!

On other thing that does give me a shred of hope - I had one of the two SSD's in my system flake out (curse you Intel!), causing my system to crash a couple times a few weeks ago. The more I think about it, I was playing EQ at the time, and the crashing may have jacked up some files. Ill try reinstalling tonight and let you guys know if that works. Not that your personally interested, but coming from a reinstall skeptic, if it works, it might be worth a try

Klath
09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Another thing people can try is uninstalling the driver for the "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" that, I believe, gets installed with versions of Windows that include Media Center. I nuked this when I was having trouble getting certain characters in chat and I haven't had the client go poof since.

Open Device Manager
Click on "Keyboards" to open the tree.
Right-Click on "Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard" and choose "Uninstall", then click "Ok".
Right-Click on "Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard" and choose "Uninstall", then click "Ok".
Right-Click on "Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys" and choose "Uninstall", then click "Ok".
Click on "Human Interface Devices" to open the tree.
Right-Click on "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" and choose "Disable", then click "Ok".

(Instructions lifted from this thread (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=143320))

Estu
10-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I used to have this issue a lot - Nilbog recommended EQPlayNice, and since using it, I have never had a crash. I suggest this to anyone having this issue.

Estu
10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Never mind - just got a crash with EQPlayNice. It was on another EQEmu server, though, not P99; not sure whether crashes will still occur on P99.

Estu
10-12-2010, 04:33 PM
And, just got a crash on P99. I'm starting to become convinced that there is no way to stop these.

Tanagor
10-14-2010, 05:53 AM
This client crash hasn't happened to me in a while, but I don't think that's because it's fixed. Historically for me it has come and gone.

The earliest record I have is in March and the latest is in September. As you can see sometimes it comes out of the blue, sometimes it repeats a few times quickly (e.g. Jul 07, Sep 19).

Times are GMT+10

[Sun Mar 14 17:14:19 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139062144)
[Tue Mar 23 21:45:10 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-1752729749)
[Sat May 15 11:46:20 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-745265493)
[Tue May 18 22:23:44 2010] ERROR: String not found. (2055109236)
[Sat May 29 04:02:06 2010] ERROR: String not found. (1600614778)
[Tue Jun 15 23:22:50 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-1987869815)
[Sun Jun 27 17:00:51 2010] ERROR: String not found. (2139062143)
[Mon Jun 28 20:33:48 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139062144)
[Wed Jul 07 17:59:56 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139062144)
[Wed Jul 07 18:42:53 2010] ERROR: String not found. (1849783400)
[Mon Jul 19 21:10:05 2010] ERROR: String not found. (1835425882)
[Mon Jul 19 21:18:11 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139062144)
[Mon Aug 30 20:39:00 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2138996351)
[Thu Sep 02 21:07:43 2010] ERROR: String not found. (2139127936)
[Sun Sep 12 12:13:12 2010] ERROR: String not found. (2071558265)
[Sun Sep 19 21:06:27 2010] ERROR: String not found. (-2139324287)
[Sun Sep 19 21:10:31 2010] ERROR: String not found. (1600614778)
[Sun Sep 19 22:13:43 2010] ERROR: String not found. (1802797193)

Error codes converted to hex format below. The hex values don't mean anything to me but I thought they might be useful to devs.

Decimal Hex Occurances
1600614778 0000 0000 5F67 717A 2
-1752729749 FFFF FFFF 9787 776B 1
1802797193 0000 0000 6B74 8089 1
1835425882 0000 0000 6D66 605A 1
1849783400 0000 0000 6E41 7468 1
-1987869815 FFFF FFFF 8983 8389 1
2055109236 0000 0000 7A7E 7A74 1
2071558265 0000 0000 7B79 7879 1
-2138996351 FFFF FFFF 8081 8181 1
2139062143 0000 0000 7F7F 7F7F 1
-2139062144 FFFF FFFF 8080 8080 4
2139127936 0000 0000 7F80 8080 1
-2139324287 FFFF FFFF 807C 8081 1
-745265493 FFFF FFFF D394 26AB 1

System config is:
Core 2 Duo E6550
3GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I run EQ through WinEQ2 and max FPS has been set to 60 for quite a long time. Have also used a few different UIs throughout the past few months.

Maitresse
10-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm gunna try and re-install everquest tonight and see if it helps. Will post back if it goes away. Probably will be hard to tell since I can go a month without it ever happening, but last night it got me killed, which is kinda forcing my hand.

Jenithia
10-27-2010, 10:50 AM
I keep having a similar problem, started 10/26/10. My internet connection is fine, stays up no problem but while in EQ, I keep getting monster lag, then everything is fine, then all of a sudden I am LD. It takes me to character select screen and I'm able to log in just for a little bit.

Pescador
11-02-2010, 01:22 PM
With the latest patch, I've noticed this problem occurring more frequently. I've crashed 4 times in the last 2 days, each time during a kite.

...and at level 42, that's over 2 yellows of exp. Been lucky to get a hold of a cleric twice, but eating a yellow of exp death is simply brutal at the higher levels. Anyone have any luck fixing this issue (again)?

nickyboy1981
11-19-2010, 01:56 PM
happened to me a few times, last time was kiting specs = insta death, happened again just now while kiting specs, havent logged back on yet but barring a miracle = insta death.

Aadill
11-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Try setting the Max Frames Per Second slider to 60 (If it's at 100) and see if that does anything helpful.

To bring this post back to attention: I haven't had a crash in months because I set my max fps to 45. It solved the original problems in permafrost/sol a, it stopped the crashes, etc. Never been happier.

Running win7 ultimate with an intel 8400 and a geforce 8800 gts 512.

skipdog
02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
If you're not getting "String not found" then that's something else. You might consider starting a new thread.

I don't see any mention of 'string error' in the first 2 pages of the thread. Seems like a lot to ask to expect every person posting here to track down a specific post that talks about a 'string error' before posting about having the same issue.

canker
04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
4th time today; all have been in OOT since I logged on in zone... I think my problem is when I log into the same zone and fight in that one zone, as I can't remember ever crashing after zoning...

here's two log's I kept after to detail my crash..

2011-04-20 07:05:08 Initializing zone.
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Initializing world.
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Attempting to load oot.EQG.
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Verifying world files.
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Loading zone specific files.
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Loading oot_obj2
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Loading oot_obj
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Loading oot_chr2
2011-04-20 07:05:08 Loading oot_chr
2011-04-20 07:05:09 Loaded cst.EQG.
2011-04-20 07:05:09 Loaded NPC with code cst from cst.s3d
2011-04-20 07:05:09
2011-04-20 07:05:09 Load NPC point 1 (qeynos_chr, pir)
2011-04-20 07:05:09
2011-04-20 07:05:10 Load world point 3 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\qeynos_chr.s3d)
2011-04-20 07:05:10
2011-04-20 07:05:10 Load NPC point 5 (1a481490, qeynos_chr.wld, pir).
2011-04-20 07:05:10 Successful read of NPC.
2011-04-20 07:05:10 Load NPC end (1).
2011-04-20 07:05:10 Loaded NPC with code pir from qeynos_chr.s3d
2011-04-20 07:05:10 Loading oot
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Loading objects
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Loading lights
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Initializing cameras.
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Initializing lights.
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Initializing visual effects.
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Initializing target indicator.
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Initializing player path.
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Performing post-load operations.
2011-04-20 07:05:11 Initializing precipitation system.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 World initialized: oot
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Requesting zone data.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Resetting cameras.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Resetting vision.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Resetting overlays.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Zone initialized.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Creating INI files.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Requesting AA data.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Requesting Skill rank data.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Loading UI.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Deactivating previous UI.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Unloading previous textures.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Resetting UI.
2011-04-20 07:05:12 Resetting character select UI.
2011-04-20 07:05:13 Resetting game UI.
2011-04-20 07:05:13 UI Reset.
2011-04-20 07:05:13 Initializing UI.
2011-04-20 07:05:13 Initializing UI manager.
2011-04-20 07:05:13 Initializing fonts.
2011-04-20 07:05:13 Parsing UI XML.
2011-04-20 07:05:13 Parsing INI file .\UI_Canker_project1999.ini
2011-04-20 07:05:13 INI file .\UI_Canker_project1999.ini loaded.
2011-04-20 07:05:15 Loading default UI resources.
2011-04-20 07:05:15 Initializing game UI.
2011-04-20 07:05:15 Parsing INI file .\Canker_project1999.ini
2011-04-20 07:05:15 INI file .\Canker_project1999.ini loaded.
2011-04-20 07:05:16 Loading Icons.
2011-04-20 07:05:17 Resetting viewport.
2011-04-20 07:05:17 Game UI Initialized.
2011-04-20 07:05:17 Entering main loop.
2011-04-20 07:05:19 Loading game sounds.
2011-04-20 07:05:19 Requesting initialization data.
2011-04-20 07:05:19 DoMainLoop: just before first while(!ReadyEnterWorld).
2011-04-20 07:05:19 Zone Connect -- Received MSG_READY_ENTER_WORLD
2011-04-20 07:05:19 DoMainLoop: complete after first while(!ReadyEnterWorld).
2011-04-20 07:05:19 DoMainLoop: just before second while(!ReadyEnterWorld).
2011-04-20 07:05:19 Zone Connect -- Sending out a MSG_READY_ENTER_WORLD.
2011-04-20 07:05:21 Zone Connect -- Received MSG_READY_ENTER_WORLD
2011-04-20 07:05:21 DoMainLoop: completed second while(!ReadyEnterWorld).
2011-04-20 07:05:22 Setting up models.
2011-04-20 07:05:22 Setting up character.
2011-04-20 07:05:22 Activating music.
2011-04-20 07:05:22 Initialization complete.
2011-04-20 07:05:22 Entering main loop.
2011-04-20 07:05:23 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 07:05:23
2011-04-20 07:06:12 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:06:13 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:06:44 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:06:49 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:06:57 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:06:57 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:06:57 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:07:37 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 07:07:37
2011-04-20 07:07:48 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:08:16 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 07:08:16
2011-04-20 07:08:49 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:09:13 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:09:13 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:09:14 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:12 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelp1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:12 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:12 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:13 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelp1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:15 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:15 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:15 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:18 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:19 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:19 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:19 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:38 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:22:38 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.

and second crash which just happened and probably resulted in my death..

2011-04-20 07:32:06 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 07:32:06
2011-04-20 07:33:22 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:33:23 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:33:37 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:33:48 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:33:48 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:33:56 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelp1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:00 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:00 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelp1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:00 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:15 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:15 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:19 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:19 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:34:19 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:37:39 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelu1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:37:39 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelu1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:37:43 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelu1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:38:35 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:38:40 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:38:40 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:44:59 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture speln1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:44:59 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:44:59 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:46:11 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:48:11 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 07:48:11
2011-04-20 07:48:25 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_whsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:48:25 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_whsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:48:33 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 07:51:46 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 07:51:46
2011-04-20 07:51:56 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 07:51:56
2011-04-20 08:04:28 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:04:29 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelj1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:04:36 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelj1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:04:36 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelj1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:05:30 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 08:05:30
2011-04-20 08:05:32 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 08:05:32
2011-04-20 08:19:24 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 08:19:24
2011-04-20 08:21:33 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:24:45 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:24:45 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blsp501.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:24:45 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:04 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb3.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:05 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture speln1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:05 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:05 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:29 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:29 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:30 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 08:25:49 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 08:25:50
2011-04-20 08:43:28 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 08:43:28
2011-04-20 08:47:02 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 08:47:02
2011-04-20 08:55:25 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelc2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:05:36 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:05:36 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:05:38 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelm1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:14:26 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 09:14:26
2011-04-20 09:25:30 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:25:30 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelb2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:27:51 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 09:27:51
2011-04-20 09:28:06 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 09:28:06
2011-04-20 09:28:08 Item done, MSG_WEATHER_EVENT received.
2011-04-20 09:28:09
2011-04-20 09:29:19 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelu2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:29:21 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelu2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:29:21 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spela2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:29:21 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelu2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:37:01 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelv1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:37:03 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelv1.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:37:11 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelc2.tga for particle system.
2011-04-20 09:37:11 D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture spelc2.tga for particle system.

the first crash listed happened while casting JBB on cyclops at AC spawn; not moving and only fighting one mob.. second one happened while fighting two seafuries and moving; trying to cast root on one.

not sure if this helps any just putting it out there

mwatt
04-20-2011, 03:04 PM
I saw someone else post a suggestion in a related thread about never having this problem when he zones before fighting.

Thinking back on my own experiences, it seemed like there might be something to this idea. So, for about a week now I have been zoning before fighting. It's kind of annoying sometimes but I have not had a single crash to desktop since I have begun this practice.

But that means little. I thought before - multiple times - that I had this problem licked, but it has always come back so far. If I can go a successful month using this methodology I will come back and say so.

In the mean time, it is something to try if you've tried everything else already.

P.S.
"Zoning before fighting" means zoning only once before setting up to experience in a zone.

brglcanan24
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
very nice share thanks...

Rasah
04-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I created a necro yesterday, zoned 2 times from West Cabiliis to East Cabilis to Field of Bone. I was killing skeletons, and when I went to loot one, I crashed to desktop. So the zoning thing is probably just a coincidence.

falkun
04-24-2011, 10:22 AM
This is really a really annoying problem for me. I am doing a lot of killing in TD and OOT, and its difficult to coordinate a "zone before start exping". Just this morning I logged in to OOT, got a seafury down to about 55% and then crashed to desktop. My linkdead bardic self has less than half the skill I do, so now I get to CR on Seafury Island from the Outpost in OT. Should be a fun morning.

Seeatee
04-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I never used to have a problem with my client randomly closing, it would happen maybe once every 2 months or so, but the last few days I have gone to Ocean of Tears and have been killing seafury's since coming here I seem to client crash 4 or 5 times a day - ALWAYS with a mob engaged, usually shortly after pulling it.

it seems to somehow be directly related to t his zone / these mobs, anyone else having an unusually high instance of client crashing while in OOT killing SF's?

Francois
05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
So I've been having this problem since I started on P99.

List of things that did not work

Turning down FPS
Running Wineq2
Zoning before I kite
Logging in a different character before the one I want to play
Turning down graphics
Updating video card drivers
Updating Directx
Reinstalling Everquest
Changing UI

What did work
A large amount of people that I talked to used the same video card which was a Nvidia GeForce 8800gt. So all that i did was switch to a Radeon 6870 and I haven't crashed since.

I hope this helps. I know it's not a free solution, but it's something.

pargalı
05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
super job. success in studies. Thank you for sharing.

Alarti0001
05-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I run with an ATI and i client crashed 3 times in 1 hour 2 days ago

Alarti0001
05-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Just crashed again in SF doin an aoe group as well as 1-2 others in my group.... we have all graphics settings turned off, particles clip plane etc...
obv not a graphics prob.... Also had FPS at 45... this started in the past week if that helps.

Pescador
05-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I run a first generation 8800gts and a first generation desktop c2d and I get this all the time, seems completely random, though sometimes I get a string of disconnects that makes me want to ragequit. I posted a few months ago and it's basically unresolved still - the only thing that seems consistent is that it is more likely to occur when there are a lot of mobs being kited / nuked. I know when swarm kiting or aoe grouping I crash much more frequently than when I am doing other stuff. Same error messages that everyone else is getting...

kanras
05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Potentially fixed, pending update.

Edit: This only applies to crashes that would spit out "ERROR: String not found (#)" in the log just before the shutdown.

Alarti0001
05-07-2011, 06:31 PM
<3

blingeorkl
05-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Potentially fixed, pending update.

Edit: This only applies to crashes that would spit out "ERROR: String not found (#)" in the log just before the shutdown.

And I was about to give up all hope...

Seeatee
05-22-2011, 09:30 AM
has this update been patched in yet? I have just died on seafury island due to my client just shuting down and dumping me to the desktop instantly with no warning, this is the second time in a few days this has happened and it is really starting to get annoying, it wouldnt be so bad if I didnt have to spend 50 minutes waiting on the boat just to recover my corpse from something that I had absolutely no control over.

Alarti0001
05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
not yet!

JayDee
05-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Ofcourse, fix comes long after I stop playing.

Kobias
05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
*sigh* I've died twice to this bug today while kiting. It sucks because you die, and have no control (as far as I can tell) of stopping it this bug from happening.

[Fri May 27 13:56:08 2011] ERROR: String not found. (-2139062144)

nalkin
05-27-2011, 03:36 PM
posted this in the other thread, but this worked for me if anyone wants to try it.

This happened to me all the time on my bard when I would AE kite. It has also happened to me on my mage before as well but maybe only once or twice for him in his whole career. I have found a fix that works for me and has worked for about a month with many AE kites during this time.

My computer has a quad core processor. I start everquest and under the processes tab in windows task manager I change eqgame.exe to run on only 1 processor core. This is done by right clicking and choosing 'set affinity'.

When I do this I have never crashed while kiting any number of mobs, and a couple times I forgot to set it and crashed everytime.

kanras
05-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Bump. Let's see those (hopefully non-existent) ERROR: String Not Found(s) since patch! AE groups and bards were likely most effected by this crash, so I'm hoping they'll chime in.

Pescador
06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Have not gotten this error since the patch.