PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Goblins/undead in general

Nizzarr
11-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Goblins should all have undead aggro, as well as undead frogs in guk.

Pretty much all undead should aggro any level as well. This is not the case on many mobs.

If you go on live right now with any lvl character, the goblins will aggro on you. Everywhere. Same for undead mobs.

This means - Runnyeye, Everfrost, Permafrost, Soldunga, Lavastorm, Misty thicket. and everywhere with goblins that im missing. All of kunark.

Right now farming in Droga/nurga is too easy, shit was a pain to get to on live due to all the aggro you could get, considering some of the shamans in there should see invis.

Daldaen
11-14-2011, 11:51 AM
This is the case on live currently... But I'm not sure it is how it was in classic.

Nizzarr
11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
This is how I recall it as well. Especially in permafrost and soldunga, zones I farmed a lot as a druid back then.

Daldaen
11-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Aggro works differently on live though. It isn't just goblins and undead that aggro you on live while grey con (below green con). Even Sol B kobolds and frogloks in Sebilis. So it isn't exclusive to goblins and undead...

But sadly you are correct in regards to undead. They are fearless and should aggro anyone regardless of level and con. I'll miss running through LGuk on my Druid.

Goblins I dunno

Hakurou
11-15-2011, 07:40 AM
It was level related, every mob that is level 25 and higher would always aggro you (proximity aggro only, range rather small, see below on levels and aggro range) even if it's green and not just when you're sitting. Of course all undead would aggro you but also would aggro anyone they passed over and act like they're rooted. So if you train a skeleton / zombie or whatever past someone it would start attacking that person and pursue it, always attacking the nearest target and they were highly aggro and jump a passive bystander. This certainly poses a threat to be used in grieving as you could gather up a load of undead and dump them off on someone afk / lower / about to die, but that's how it was, you could dump your undead train on others and let them deal with it or use them as a stepping stone to survival by sacrificing them.

In general I think aggro ranges on p99 are in some cases too small, I feel like level 59+ when pulling some camps, assist range of mobs would decrease as you gained levels so a level 1 wandering around gfay would be jumped by an orc centurion over 100 range away (spell cast range / throw range) while as you closed in and surpassed them in level the range grew smaller to the point you could single pull them if they stood fairly close together. A good example would be Sebilis necrosis camp where at 59 you could single pull most of the double krup spawns and most of the other upper level mobs (no idea if that is how it is here). Currently a lot of mobs can be walked past at fairly close range which doesn't feel natural and in a lot of cases makes travel and hunting rather easy.

A bit more recent post (2005) but it talks about frenzy and reaction radius of mobs: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m;jsessionid=7BBB9D0E18559B6B2D9A23452388B881 .sdk-msgt27-3609?topic_id=32479

nilbog
11-16-2011, 01:27 PM
This is something I've been wanting to fix since the beginning of p99. I haven't found a conclusive rule to use though.

If you go on live right now with any lvl character, the goblins will aggro on you. Everywhere. Same for undead mobs.
-k, currently on live, Misty thicket goblins do not aggro my lvl 69.

-Runnyeye: goblins - oldschool (runnyeye) ones DO, new (pickclaw) ones some do, some don't. all evil eyes inside do.

-in gorge of king xorbb, goblins and muddites do not aggro, chasm minotaurs do. gorge minotaurs do not. all evil eyes do.

-sol a: all goblins aggroed, im non kos to gnomes

-sol b: all kobolds aggroed

-everfrost: orcs aggroed, goblins didn't (they are indifferent on eqlive now)

-permafrost: no goblins aggroed until i made it to the switch gate on the way to Vox. These npcs were around level 18-20ish, I believe.

-all undead i approached were scowl, and attacked me on sight.

It was level related, every mob that is level 25 and higher would always aggro you (proximity aggro only, range rather small, see below on levels and aggro range) even if it's green and not just when you're sitting.
Where did you get lvl 25 from?

I hope we can find a system that works, and apply it where needed.

Nizzarr
11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I'd be very happy to see this implemented!

Nizzarr
11-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I am almost 100% positive drolvargs, brutes, giants, sarnaks, goblins should aggro even when green in kunark.

Also everything in droga/nurga should aggro.

edit: add those spider looking things too

Hakurou
11-16-2011, 09:15 PM
The level 25 I mentioned was from memory, as I recalled the aggro threshold to be somewhere in the low to mid 20ies. To piece this together I did some digging but there is no hard number only indications that it's somewhere close to level 20.

For example the sarnak fort in lake of ill omen Chancellor of Di'zok, a lot of comments speak about adds, where to be to not gain aggro from roamers and clearing the room. Sarnaks there are level 21+:
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.html?id=3989

a goblin alchemist in permafrost level 23:
Comment from May 09 2003:
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3599
I am camped in his room, so I just pop in every now and then see if he's in or not. Still aggroes at 45, but an easy kill. Spawned in the first five minutes today, dropped leggings, Bah! Still camping for cloak...

a giant black widow (najena) level 18 - 22:
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2151
Comment from Apr 25 2001:
I hate these things
I hate Spiders and these ones are REALLY big! Not only that, but I'm level 45 and sometimes they STILL aggro, rarely, but yes, they are aggresive, they scowl at me with their icky 8-eyed faces... ew!

I just picked some random NPCs, mostly notable ones that people spend some time to kill and looked at comments and guides about how to go about camping them. Judging by those level 20 or 21 is probably the threshold that an NPC has to be to still aggro, no matter what level the player is (frenzy aggro only, you should be able to single pull any green mob if you pulled from far enough away).

I'm sure there are older comments about aggro, but I guess the April 2001 comment is close enough for our needs. If someone else wants to read more old comments and guides on level 20ish mobs, then that might help to narrow this down even further.

Mardur
11-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Undead aggro doesn't work how it should anyways. Undead mobs give a much larger precedence to proximity re: aggro. For example, if you ran through a camp of undead you'd gain aggro and they'd start chasing you. However if you passed another player character regardless of their level, all of the undead would then immediately aggro them. Requiring any evidence for this would be ludicrous, as any player can remember this was the correct aggro mechanics. Everyone knew to pay special attention to undead mobs if they wanted to stay alive, especially in train situations.

gprater
02-05-2012, 08:08 AM
This is something I've been wanting to fix since the beginning of p99. I haven't found a conclusive rule to use though.
-k, currently on live, Misty thicket goblins do not aggro my lvl 69.

-Runnyeye: goblins - oldschool (runnyeye) ones DO, new (pickclaw) ones some do, some don't. all evil eyes inside do.

-in gorge of king xorbb, goblins and muddites do not aggro, chasm minotaurs do. gorge minotaurs do not. all evil eyes do.

-sol a: all goblins aggroed, im non kos to gnomes

-sol b: all kobolds aggroed

-everfrost: orcs aggroed, goblins didn't (they are indifferent on eqlive now)

-permafrost: no goblins aggroed until i made it to the switch gate on the way to Vox. These npcs were around level 18-20ish, I believe.

-all undead i approached were scowl, and attacked me on sight.

Where did you get lvl 25 from?

I hope we can find a system that works, and apply it where needed.

Ive been away from the game since october. I was kiting mammoths then at level 25-26. Noticed today that the EF orcs all aggro me like undead at level 28. they did not do this before I took my break. So, can I assume this was changed and is normal? I scaned the patch notes since OCT and didnt see a reference but may have missed it. I found this post using search for "everfrost orcs" in the bugs section