PDA

View Full Version : Ever a chance of allowing double boxing?

Tuan
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi all.

I first wanted to say that you all have done a great job with the server. I've only had a chance to play for a few days (around a month back), but it's impressive! Definitely feels like the classic.

I realize that this will probably never change, but I have to ask. Are there ever any plans to allow people to play more than 1 char at once?

I realize the are problems that can be associated with it, however, you should realize that you are preventing some people from even playing on your server.

Myself, for example. I don't always have a lot of time to play games these days, at least not in big chunks of time. I may just log on for a half hour here and there. It's really difficult to attempt to level up with such a sparse population on the server. By the time I login and find anyone, I might have to logoff. And trying to just solo, that really makes it hard to play a support class. I tried remaking my cleric, and it's just painfully slow without being able to find anyone to group with.

The other reason is it can also be a lot of fun to play more than 1 char at once.. anyone on this server has played it all before, it's definitely a nice twist to try to control more than 1 player, it adds some new challenges.

So there's the argument. My solution would be let people play 2 characters instead of 1. No more than 2 if you are worried about people trying to play entire groups by themselves. But 2 would at least let people like myself be able to still play for short spurts and actually be able to do something.

The real issue is also because of server population- I didn't need to two-box back in the day because if I was at a stage in my character where I couldn't solo very well, I could find groups pretty easily. It's just not the same with a population of 150 people, so I think adapting to that situation would be a smart thing to do.

Well as I said I would love to play on this server from time-to-time, I think this server is a great idea. But without being able to make a tiny bit of a group for myself I just can't justify trying to play. So just thought it would at least be helpful to know that you are losing some people from not allowing double boxing.. take that as you will.

-Tuan

Edit: To avoid confusion, I am on Euro hours. Thus the low population when I have tried playing.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Flames inc, so be prepared.

The population - which is MUCH higher than 150 - is what it is here because 2-boxing is not allowed. The issue has been discussed since before P99 was out of beta. It will never happen here, the dead horse has been beaten so badly it's dust, and...

Please search topics.

We'd love to have you play, but if the only way you will play is 2-box, there are other servers available that will welcome you with open arms.

:)

Grento
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately, I think the amount of people that need and want to 2box are far fewer than those that want to keep it out.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't usually have a hard time finding groups, but I suppose if you're part of the Euro/Aussy community it could be an issue. I usually play a little in the AM and find getting groups is pretty difficult.

At the same time, getting groups during prime time is quite easy. However, I don't have the time/playstyle to commit 2-3 hour chunks of time most of the time, so I don't group usually. And usually, there are periods of downtime even in the 2-3 hour chunks I do play, where I take out the dogs, do something to make the lady of the house happy, etc. I don't expect this to change.

That said, I've picked a class that has the ability to solo and am fine in my current situation playing the game. I'd love to have the ability to play a second class concurrently, but if I cannot, it won't ruin my participation on this server. It certainly would enhance it, however.

If I could offer a compromise, I'd suggest allowing a single multi-box-per-IP during off-peak hours may be beneficial for those players who do play during these times. Just a thought.

Trimm
04-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I realize that this will probably never change, but I have to ask. Are there ever any plans to allow people to play more than 1 char at once?

It's just not the same with a population of 150 people, so I think adapting to that situation would be a smart thing to do.

This has been asked time and time again, the answer is and will always be no. The server has 500+ players on week nights, population is not a problem.

Dac321
04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately, I think the amount of people that need and want to 2box are far fewer than those that want to keep it out.

What he said, execpt for the word unfortunately.

I am against two boxing. Regardless of what some people may think, it does harm the community.

Tuan
04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
This has been asked time and time again, the answer is and will always be no. The server has 500+ players on week nights, population is not a problem.

I should have mentioned I am in Europe time. There are no where near 500+ people on the server.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
You can also expect that to change very soon. Ask a few RL friends to play with you, while the recent interview with 10 Ton does its magic.

Trimm
04-06-2010, 11:26 AM
I should have mentioned I am in Europe time. There are no where near 500+ people on the server.

Then join Europa or Remedy and have a good group of people to group with at all times ;). A majority of the players here are in American time zones, so its just the nature of the beast really.

I understand both the arguments for and against 2-boxing, but the truth is the development staff has answered this question multiple times with a firm "No".

Tuan
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
You can also expect that to change very soon. Ask a few RL friends to play with you, while the recent interview with 10 Ton does its magic.

Unfortunately all of my friends are US based (I moved to London just a few years back), so it's the same problem.

Well thanks for the input everyone, at least I know where it stands for sure. Maybe I will try again soon if the population is rising that much.

Gorgetrapper
04-06-2010, 11:29 AM
No.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I understand both the arguments for and against 2-boxing, but the truth is the development staff has answered this question multiple times with a firm "No".

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2738

I think the firm "No" came more from the community than the devs/admins.

Excision Rottun
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM

You might try playing a more solo-friendly class?

Mage, Necro, Druid, Wizzard are the best bets.

Or if you are adventurous try Shaman, Bard, Enchanter

Humerox
04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2738

I think the firm "No" came more from the community than the devs/admins.

For a clearer idea of the main dude in charge's feelings:

For those of you who missed the beta forums.. this is like resurrecting a dead horse, to kill it, then beat it some more.

The original arguments for boxing additional clients were wrought with bias, conjecture, and future-prediction.. on both sides.

I'll reiterate myself once more, though:

Summary: Boxing will not be allowed until there is a need. The need will be determined by such things as .. a declining population growth, the inability to complete encounters, and a general consensus that it is needed. None of those things are present here, so this is not an issue. I am very happy with my decision.

In defense of.. what I consider a good community of people, the well-written opinions were mostly sent to me via private messages. I don't blame them for not wanting to join the flame arena.

Server hardware + connection would handle around 1000 clients at the moment.. and I hope not a single slot ever gets filled with a boxed character.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
For a clearer idea of the main dude in charge's feelings:

Fair enough, but Rogean did ressurrect the topic it 3 months after that post to ask the community's opinion.

Olorin
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately all of my friends are US based (I moved to London just a few years back), so it's the same problem.

Well thanks for the input everyone, at least I know where it stands for sure. Maybe I will try again soon if the population is rising that much.

Maybe play a more solo friendly class is an option -- don't even have to go with the druid/necro/mage triumvirate. Try a shaman, try and enchanter -- hell, even a bard :)

Tuan
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Maybe play a more solo friendly class is an option -- don't even have to go with the druid/necro/mage triumvirate. Try a shaman, try and enchanter -- hell, even a bard :)

Yeah I know there are some options.. it's just the fact that I am being told to play a solo class shows there is a problem.

But anyway not trying to argue back and forth, just wanted some straight responses.. Maybe I will try a better soloing class and see how things go with finding people during my time!

Things were much easier when I was in CST!

rsynweap84
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Well I can see his point as being in central timezone sometimes I play till all hours of the morning and I see the population drop off after midnight, but its just something that has been pretty much a consensus of the majority here, to not have.

I don't really care for 2 boxing, though it makes item transfers somewhat exciting, and hazardous, but I can deal with that. I do think the Ten Ton Hammer review will bring more people, unfortunately, it also brings those stupid DDoS fucks too, who for no valid reason wanna ruin everyone's day by fucking with the server, but hopefully there will be a way to deal with them one day. You have to admit though, for bein' a no boxing server I think its doin' quite well, just my opinion though.

Excision Rottun
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Lol you wrote almost exactly what I posted, great minds my son, great minds.

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
What he said, execpt for the word unfortunately.

I am against two boxing. Regardless of what some people may think, it does harm the community.

I'm not a proponent either way, but I'd like to hear how it hurts the community.

Excision Rottun
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm not a proponent either way, but I'd like to hear how it hurts the community.

Easier for single-person farmers to monopolize spawns.

For every boxxed class in a group there is one live person of said class who can't find a group.

Less social interaction.

More Sam Deathwalkers.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't really care for 2 boxing, though it makes item transfers somewhat exciting, and hazardous, but I can deal with that.

My personal opinion (and somewhat off topic), but if boxing isn't allowed; shared bank should be.

Alawen Everywhere
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Didn't we just have this exact same thread with a guy who insisted that he had to play a warrior for short periods at unusual hours, couldn't possibly make any new friends and absolutely had to two box a grouping class?

I'm calling shenanigans. This is a troll. It is pretty obvious that the success of Project 1999 has more than a little to do with not allowing boxing. There is no problem to fix here. Indeed: imagine prime time with the same number of people and twice as many characters trying to fit into the classic dungeons.

Yes, original poster, you can consider this a flame. You are either intentionally trying to start an argument or else you are so ego-maniacal that you expect the community to adapt to your needs without ever learning a thing about the community. Your post makes it obvious that you don't play here and you haven't spent any time at all reading our forum.

There are many EQemu servers that will let you box characters. Since you have no intention of grouping or making any friends, it doesn't matter where you play and that should work out fine for you.

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Easier for single-person farmers to monopolize spawns.

For every boxxed class in a group there is one live person of said class who can't find a group.

Less social interaction.

More Sam Deathwalkers.

I could see your first response being valid if the server was full.

Your second response isn't valid, at all. Read this thread, everyones suggestion was "to play a solo class". Unless you are a proponent of forcing people to group, too, and not allowing anyone to solo?

Response #3 fits in the same mold. If they want to solo, they are going to solo with or without 2 boxing.

While I don't care either way, the "result" of allowing 2 boxing is severely overblown by the users.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
While I don't care either way, the "result" of allowing 2 boxing is severely overblown by the users.

All I have to say is look what happened on PEQ. Is that an indication of something being severely overblown?

Alawen Everywhere
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
And now anonymous guy with low post count is backing up other anonymous guy with low post count. This is a troll.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 12:33 PM
It is pretty obvious that the success of Project 1999 has more than a little to do with not allowing boxing.

There are many EQemu servers that will let you box characters. Since you have no intention of grouping or making any friends, it doesn't matter where you play and that should work out fine for you.

Many people are here for the classic / progression aspect. Other servers don't offer that. I hear people say "if two boxing were allowed, I wouldn't play here." I wouldn't necessarily call them out on it, but I don't think there are many here that are here because this is a single-box-only server. If that was the case, that'd be a key selling point of this server, and would be highlighted on all the descriptions. Instead, it's not even a subtitle.

No, people are here for classic. Certainly no boxing feels more like classic than everyone boxing. However, there's nothing classic about 100-person server populations in the early hours.

Eastwood
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I dont think grouping is that horrid late at night. You just have to unite the players of similar level that are already on and get it going. I'm a warrior which is a pure group class and I have spent plenty of time LFGing on prime time only to get some of the best groups I've ever had 12-8am PST yeah crazy hours, but isn't that euro hours?

I've also had times when I log in, pop into my dungeon of choice and there is a solid group of 6 having fun and im the 7th man out, time to play an Alt. I think this can happen any time of day and with global OOC you can play your alt and watch and see if anyone needs your main character.

If I wanted the game to be easy I guess I'd be playing WoW or Xbox. I also would not mind shared bank for transfers. I think Dual boxing is bad for the game but being able to move items freely between alts would be very nice. That's a different subject and not classic at all, but oh so convenient.

Excision Rottun
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I could see your first response being valid if the server was full.

Your second response isn't valid, at all. Read this thread, everyones suggestion was "to play a solo class". Unless you are a proponent of forcing people to group, too, and not allowing anyone to solo?

Response #3 fits in the same mold. If they want to solo, they are going to solo with or without 2 boxing.

1) Have you seen dungeons during prime-time?

2) Player A 2Boxes War/Cleric
Player B 2boxes Rog/Ench
Player C 2boxes Monk/Wiz

3 people...full group...3 other people who play any of those classes don't get into group.

Extrapolate this across the whole server means more spawns/camps taken by less real people...did I really need to explain this? No. Did I just get trolled? Probably.

3) Less social interaction is not solely defined by grouping. Read: OOC chat, Trading etc.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Well...until we have a declining server population, and a general consensus for allowing boxers...it ain't happening.

Tuan
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Alawen: Have you tried to start a character in time-zones where there aren't many people around?

It's easy to say there's no problem when that isn't the case, and maybe the only time you login and there aren't many people around is random times and you are already high-enough that your character is at least somewhat self sufficient and there are different things to do.

What I was trying to get at is that it wasn't much fun for me attempting to start leveling up a character when there is no one around to group with at a very low level. My first night, which was around a month ago, I started a cleric in Butcherblock, I saw maybe 2 different people in the span of 4 or 5 hours. I started a necro in Akanon, I saw no one in the span in a few hours. What is the fun in that? It isn't going to drive people to actually want to play on this server.

The point of the game is to play with people. And I can understand that the very low level zones have little-no population, it's not as if every stays level 1 forever. So what I think would be helpful is to allow two-boxing so players can get characters up to at least a level where they can actually find people playing, and if no one is around they can at least do their own thing in the meantime.

If I was even just level 15 or so I could have wandered to some different areas to try to find people. Good luck doing that at level 1!

Hell, just let people two-box up to level 10 or 15 or something. Good enough for me, it's just not fun playing such a low level char alone.

And the main point is that this drives people to not play at all, which the community should be aware of.

But hey if you want to argue more people wouldn't play if two boxing was allowed, then be my guest. Perfectly valid argument. You could have attempted to make a non-jackass comment like that, but you chose not to. Or you could have just moved on to the next thread since you have no interest in any discussion.

Excision Rottun
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Hell, just let people two-box up to level 10 or 15 or something. Good enough for me, it's just not fun playing such a low level char alone.

Interesting idea, pretty sure that would be near impossible to code /monitor tho.

Tuan
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Interesting idea, pretty sure that would be near impossible to code /monitor tho.

Not that I'm particularly suggesting that as a viable solution, but the coding/monitoring would be just as simple as whatever they are doing now. Just have a monitoring process to find more than 1 unique IP connected and then do a lookup vs the characters the IP is attached to.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, since peak player averages have moved from 300ish to 600ish the last couple of months, I can certainly see how the no 2-box rule is keeping people from coming here.

Give it time. Seek out the off-peak guilds. Bring RL friends. Most of us don't demonize 2-boxing.

I'll let you in on a secret. I'd LOVE to 2-box.

I'm so highly against it because I truly believe it's detrimental to the health of the server for many reasons. Camping, non-socializing, bringing general asshattery players to P99 - not that quite a few haven't snuck in as it is - just to name a few. Combined with the fact that yes, you are forced to socialize.

Working as intended.

Tudana
04-06-2010, 12:51 PM

The best Solo server on emo is THF (The Hidden Forest) great server and you can have 1 bot per group, along with all the boxing you can do..

Here, I like "no boxing rules".

This may make it that casuals will not like it here really, but so be it...it is what it is.

Classic EQ was tough and unforgiving.

Tuan
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
This may make it that casuals will not like it here really, but so be it...it is what it is.

Fair enough.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM

...and multiboxing was allowed (though, due to limitations of the pc's and connections of the time, as well as the expense of operating multiple accounts; prohibitive.)

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
All I have to say is look what happened on PEQ. Is that an indication of something being severely overblown?

I don't know PEQ. Fill me in?

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
And now anonymous guy with low post count is backing up other anonymous guy with low post count. This is a troll.

Hehe, says the guy with 19 posts? :)

Somekid123
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
^ If you knew anything abou the "Guy with 19 post" Alawen is one of the servers top druids in Inglorious Bastards, hes not a random troll such as yourself.

You not knowing who Alawen is only points more to you knowing nothing of our server.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
...and multiboxing was allowed (though, due to limitations of the pc's and connections of the time, as well as the expense of operating multiple accounts; prohibitive.)

And, as I remember...very much frowned upon by the community back then. Which, by the way, is what we're talking about. Stimulating and expanding our community. 2-boxing is inherently prohibitive regarding growth.

I remember many times in classic I went hours LFG. No server-wide chat..no LFG tool...you had to travel to the doggoned zone to see if people were there.

How can anyone concerned more with the future of the server argue for 2-boxing? Seriously? You think the first waves of us had an easy road? We networked, found like-minded people, and there ya go.

You may not do exactly what you want to do all the time, true. Work on tradeskills. Explore. Whatever.

Find all that content they say was never discovered in original EQ.

Alawen Everywhere
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I joined the server in January. I rolled up a monk. It took me exactly one day to remember that EverQuest is not a giveaway game where you do whatever you want and come out fine. There are some very harsh and time-consuming penalties for making poor choices.

A choice you can make is to do "/who all A B", replacing A and B with the level range you're looking for. Then send some tells and make some friends. Make a character near them or beg a sow and run your little dude to where the other players are and beg a bind. Words and phrases like "please" and "thank you" work wonders.

On my second day, I made a druid. Playing a naked melee in classic EQ as my first character was a more difficult scenario than I wanted to play out. Mad props to you guys who tough it out. Nothing but slops for you guys who insist on a hard path and then whine that it's too hard.

If your schedule dictates that you play alone, roll up a solo class.

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
1) Have you seen dungeons during prime-time?

2) Player A 2Boxes War/Cleric
Player B 2boxes Rog/Ench
Player C 2boxes Monk/Wiz

3 people...full group...3 other people who play any of those classes don't get into group.

Extrapolate this across the whole server means more spawns/camps taken by less real people...did I really need to explain this? No. Did I just get trolled? Probably.

3) Less social interaction is not solely defined by grouping. Read: OOC chat, Trading etc.

I have not seen dungeons at prime time. With only 600 players serverwide, I can't see it being much of an issue. I also do not know the history of this serve (I just found out about it within the past week or 2 and started playing with my wife and kids). I have seen CB at prime time, so far no issues there :)

With that being said, IMO, you're still exaggerating. 1 full group of people 2 boxing (semi-RARE occurrence?) doesn't mean those 3 classes cant find a group. It just means that they wont be in THAT one single group, and quite frankly, are halfway on their way to making their own group.

Thats my stance, for the most part. You've got one guy here claiming the server population would double if they allowed 2 boxing (I'll make the assumption that not everyone is able to 2 box, in fact, I'd guess a small number of people would be able to).

Honest, not trolling. If it sounds like I am, tell me and I'll shut up :)

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:16 PM
^ If you knew anything abou the "Guy with 19 post" Alawen is one of the servers top druids in Inglorious Bastards, hes not a random troll such as yourself.

You not knowing who Alawen is only points more to you knowing nothing of our server.

Thats correct, I'm new in the past week or so. Being new doesn't make me a troll, it just makes you simple minded.

Alawen Everywhere
04-06-2010, 01:17 PM
You just admitted that you know nothing of the situation over level 10, yet you're still willing to argue based on ignorance. Yes, you're a troll.

Tuan
04-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Alawn, thank you for a legitimate response.

I still think it's a different story when there is a population restriction due to low level + time zone. That being said, I guess I'll see if things have changed in the last month or so and try again, knowing that there doesn't look to be any changes for two-boxing anytime soon and I'll just have to play a more solo class.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM
And, as I remember...very much frowned upon by the community back then. Which, by the way, is what we're talking about.

Heh, I don't remember that sentiment at all. I boxed Kunark through GoD, playing 2-3 in groups, raids, and solo. I don't remember anyone ever giving me a salty message regarding my playing multiple. Quite on the contrary, actually.

My advocation of 2-boxing on this server has been, and most likely always will be, on a limited basis. I don't think it's for the good of the server that the whole population have a second account. I do however think that boxing under limited circumstances (as it was in classic) is not problematic.

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
You just admitted that you know nothing of the situation over level 10, yet you're still willing to argue based on ignorance. Yes, you're a troll.

And yet I don't see you explaining the situation. If I'm wrong, show me how. I'm more then happy to admit I am wrong, when I am. I made the assumption that a server with a population of 600 or less will not have an issue int he dungeons. I played EQ back in the day, I know what a full server looks like, and how the dungeons are.

My assumption is that its nowhere as bad as people are making it out. If I'm wrong, show me, please.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
And yet I don't see you explaining the situation. If I'm wrong, show me how. I'm more then happy to admit I am wrong, when I am. I made the assumption that a server with a population of 600 or less will not have an issue int he dungeons. I played EQ back in the day, I know what a full server looks like, and how the dungeons are.

My assumption is that its nowhere as bad as people are making it out. If I'm wrong, show me, please.

The dungeons are fine in the evenings, at prime-time. You'll often find dungeons totally camped out in fact.

The dungeons are not fine during off-peak hours. Yes, you'll find an odd group from time-to-time in a very popular dungeon. Odd's are however, if you play during this time, you'll get quite used to soloing.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Honest, not trolling. If it sounds like I am, tell me and I'll shut up :)

I don't think you're trolling. I do believe you're not thinking everything through.

Every additional box is a live player less that can possibly group with you. Every camp you box at is a camp that's not going to live groups. Computers are much more capable nowadays, allowing more people to effectively box.

Then we have the EverReady bunny syndrome. it keeps going...and going...

Since you're into showme...log into PEQ, play there for a while as a non-boxer, then tell us what you think. As someone already mentioned here...that server did not start out with boxers.

Tudana
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Heh, I don't remember that sentiment at all. I boxed Kunark through GoD, playing 2-3 in groups, raids, and solo. I don't remember anyone ever giving me a salty message regarding my playing multiple. Quite on the contrary, actually.

My advocation of 2-boxing on this server has been, and most likely always will be, on a limited basis. I don't think it's for the good of the server that the whole population have a second account. I do however think that boxing under limited circumstances (as it was in classic) is not problematic.

Not you in purticular, But I always equated 2-3 boxers to gold farmers that ruin games by flooding the markets with the items they farm up in the camps they horded from real players. It happens on Live daily.

We have already had scammers, hackers and exploiters just this past week show players given an inch will take a mile...even on a free to play server...nothing good will come from allowing boxing.

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't think you're trolling. I do believe you're not thinking everything through.

Every additional box is a live player less that can possibly group with you. Every camp you box at is a camp that's not going to live groups. Computers are much more capable nowadays, allowing more people to effectively box.

Then we have the EverReady bunny syndrome. it keeps going...and going...

Since you're into showme...log into PEQ, play there for a while as a non-boxer, then tell us what you think. As someone already mentioned here...that server did not start out with boxers.

I think we're seeing this from 2 different points of view. People that want to 2 box DONT want to group. As it stands, that means now they play solo classes.

In other words, there was never an opportunity for those people to get into the group in the first place. Nothings changed.

That was my point :)

Tell me about PEQ, what happened?

Humerox
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Bro...that's kinda like advocating limited nuclear warfare. :)

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM

hahaha

Ferok
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM

No offense or anything, but you're going to need to draw that parallel for me.:confused:

Humerox
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Something that would never happen, basically. :)

Excision Rottun
04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
With that being said, IMO, you're still exaggerating. 1 full group of people 2 boxing

Like I said, expand this scenario to not just one group, but across the server.

Like many others have said it leads to ever increasing rates of smaller percentages of actual players taking a higher percentage of camps / drops.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Something that would never happen, basically. :)

Funny, they both already have. Classic and Hiroshima/Nagasaki, respectively.

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Like I said, expand this scenario to not just one group, but across the server.

Like many others have said it leads to ever increasing rates of smaller percentages of actual players taking a higher percentage of camps / drops.

Lets expand it across the server. Just how many people do you honestly think are going to 2 box? 5%? 10%?

Thats why I'm saying the issue is being overstated.

Is that what happened to PEQ?

Ferok
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Lets expand it across the server. Just how many people do you honestly think are going to 2 box? 5%? 10%?

Thats why I'm saying the issue is being overstated.

Is that what happened to PEQ?

On a free server with modern pc's and modern connections ?

Probably 50%, if not more. If left unchecked, those two-boxing quickly become a dominant force and make life difficult for those who'd rather single-box, thus making that percentage higher.

Two-boxing in everquest has always been limited. The only implementation that works is a limited implementation.

Excision Rottun
04-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Yeah limited due to only one country having nuclear weapons at the time.

Give it a try now and see what happens.

Aadill
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
If left unchecked, those two-boxing quickly become a dominant force and make life difficult for those who'd rather single-box, thus making that percentage higher.

Two-boxing in everquest has always been limited. The only implementation that works is a limited implementation.

If I could multi box I would be running a mini raid force right now.

But if that were the case I'd just go on another server and deathtouch every mob or summon whatever item I want and call it a day, because I'd be missing out on playing in an actual living community. The limitations set in place here don't let me go hog wild and I'm thankful for it.

It's never going to be about, "I just want to be able to xp when no one is on!" because it doesn't stop there with multiboxing. It never will. It turns into farming items into the ground (see: manastone, rubi BP).

There are many nights that go by that I can't get a group in primetime yet I don't get upset that I cannot multibox - I just go do other stuff in or out of game. Hell you can go create a group WITH REAL PEOPLE to go do something monumentally more interesting than sitting in solA/solB/uguk/lguk all day, anyway.

Make the game fun by interacting with other people, not sitting alone at your desk.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

At the time of those bombings, the United States was the only country to possess atomic weapons. Can't have a limited nuclear war when only one guy has the bomb. You can have a limited "I'm only gonna annihilate one or two of your cities" kinda limited nuclear war I guess, but you and I both know I was talking about nuclear exchanges, now don't we?

I've really tried to bring meat to my arguments...and I'm not seeing anything from the other side explaining how boxing would help the server. Not the individual player, not you, the server.

Convince me that it's a healthy thing for the server. Please. I'd like to box.

stackbabber
04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I've really tried to bring meat to my arguments...and I'm not seeing anything from the other side explaining how boxing would help the server. Not the individual player, not you, the server.

If adding more players = healthy, I could see it having that affect. Rogean can open a forum strictly for 2 boxing (i.e. needing permission) and then keep it at a certain level.

Theres an incentive to donate. X donation = 1 month of 2 boxing :)

Ihealyou
04-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I used to play on Stormhaven, which allowed people to 3 box. When I played, the most people I saw playing was around 130, which was probably 40-50 actual people. In Stormhaven's case, boxing was good since there weren't many people to play with as you leveled up. The downside was that no one grouped with each other pretty much until they hit raid content.

With 600 people playing here, I really don't see boxing as a good thing. People would just go play by themselves and unlike Stormhaven, enough people play here to make grouping pretty easy.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah limited due to only one country having nuclear weapons at the time.

Give it a try now and see what happens.

See my post above. I get it. There need to be limitations. I've suggested a couple.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 03:10 PM
At the time of those bombings, the United States was the only country to possess atomic weapons. Can't have a limited nuclear war when only one guy has the bomb. You can have a limited "I'm only gonna annihilate one or two of your cities" kinda limited nuclear war I guess, but you and I both know I was talking about nuclear exchanges, now don't we?

Right, which is like I said - there have to be limits. If you read me a few posts up, I understand that limitless boxing would be a decidedly bad thing for the server.

However, I think limited boxing could be good for the health of the server. It could provide a higher (albeit perceived) population during off-peak hours (if limited to off-peak hours); it could provide non-solo classes a different path to mid levels (if it were limited to lower-level accounts); or it could provide an incentive for donation (if limited to those who donate x).

I think we can all agree that limitless boxing is a bad thing. My point is to suggest that within certain limits, it wouldn't be detrimental to the health of the server, and may in fact be beneficial.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Right, which is like I said - there have to be limits.

Which means you totally misunderstood the "limited nuclear warfare" reference.

The limits can be defined, but brother it wouldn't happen.

Alawen Everywhere
04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Let's define two classes of player.

The first class of player are the regular players. They are not allowed to two box.

The second class of player needs to two box. This group is defined as everyone except Ferok.

Do you see the problem with your ideas yet? Two boxing is a very large and very significant advantage. Nearly everyone will want to two box and most of those who don't want to will be forced to do so if they want to be competitive at all.

You are literally trying to create an entitlement program for the disadvantaged in an MMO. No one is disadvantaged here. We all have one character, one set of hands, one brain. Some of us are diligent. Some of us are clever. Some of us are charming. Some of us have powerful friends. Some of us work harder. Some of us just have to compromise. All of us had to level up. All of us had to look for groups if we wanted groups. All of us had to run across the world or try to beg or buy a port.

You are not special. You do not deserve special treatment to help you catch up to the big boys. You deserve only what you can accomplish for yourself--level, gear, friends, popularity, power, wealth, success. This is a game. There will be winners and losers. The only way to ensure that you don't lose is to not play, but then you can't win, either.

A million baseless arguments will not change the fact that the one emu server that does not allow boxing is the most successful. This is not a coincidence. The community has repeatedly expressed support for this policy. What is left to discuss?

Ferok
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Let's define two classes of player.

The first class of player are the regular players. They are not allowed to two box.

The second class of player needs to two box. This group is defined as everyone except Ferok.

Huh?

Maybe this is incorrectly stated, I don't really follow it as written. Either way, you're right - I don't need to two box. I like to two box. I've enjoyed it the past. I'm enjoying leveling right now, without it. If I thought I was special, I'd be doing it anyway, outside of the rules. Games are only fun to play, if they're played by the rules.

As I have discussed, there are advantages (for the server, as well as the participant) for allowing it. You can refute any of my points you like (and people have), that's cool with me. However, you hardly discuss the points I've made in your little tirade, instead trying to tear me down based on some assumptions you've made about who I am.

At least I think; as mentioned, I don't really follow the "two classes of players" bit. But since you're calling me out by name, I'm guessing it's about what I've posted.

I don't consider myself disadvantaged, and I'm honestly not that interested in "catching up with the big boys" as you put it. I've been there, and honestly, I just don't have the time to be a "big boy" these days. I'm quite happy enjoying the leveling process. I'm in no hurry for 50, or 60, or raiding fear or ToV.

So please, spare me the tyler durden / wargames speech. I'm all set. As I've said, I personally enjoy two boxing because I enjoy the challenge of it. It's got zip to do with feeling special or any of the other baseless crap you threw out.

Final thought, correlation != causation. You can argue that they're linked, but to insinuate causation is to ignore a slew of other factors.

snifs
04-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Let's end this discussion once and for all...

No

imcrunchy
04-06-2010, 05:25 PM
VZTZ with classic content similar to this server has 2boxing! quit whining and get on down there if you want to do that sort of thing~

oh, what was that? you want to 2box on p99? why? because it is so cool and has a happening population of 500, yeah? you wouldn't want to waste your time 2boxing on a low pop server like TZVZ? WELL, guess again, buddy! if we allowed 2 boxing our population would plummet and would be just as low as VZTZ. those are your options, and vztz is that way --->

Ferok
04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
VZTZ with classic content similar to this server has 2boxing! quit whining and get on down there if you want to do that sort of thing~

oh, what was that? you want to 2box on p99? why? because it is so cool and has a happening population of 500, yeah? you wouldn't want to waste your time 2boxing on a low pop server like TZVZ? WELL, guess again, buddy! if we allowed 2 boxing our population would plummet and would be just as low as VZTZ. those are your options, and vztz is that way --->

WTB worse apples to oranges comparison PST

imcrunchy
04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
cuz the fact that 2boxing will destroy our server is an apples to oranges comparison? yeah try a little harder next time!

predator160
04-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi all.
Are there ever any plans to allow people to play more than 1 char at once?

No.

Alawen Everywhere
04-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I called you out by name because you're the one soliciting the idea of creating two classes of players. I was attempting to point out the disadvantages for whoever does not two box by presenting the most extreme example where you are the only player who doesn't have the advantage.

Your story has grown tiresome.

Ferok
04-06-2010, 05:39 PM
cuz the fact that 2boxing will destroy our server is an apples to oranges comparison? yeah try a little harder next time!

Because the fact that even in classic blue servers were preferred by an order of magnitude over PvP servers? Boy, I wonder if that has any contribution to why this server thrives over VZTZ.

Nah..

imcrunchy
04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah it does not have anything to do with 2boxing at all ;p You're right! I'm quite sure that alot of people would vote to turn p99 into a red server if they had the chance. Even before they would decide to allow 2boxing they would vote for PVP.. that's just my guess.

Bugaman
04-06-2010, 05:50 PM
"Please make it so I can two box, cause I play when the server has only 200 people on"

I'm calling troll on this guy, If he had spent any amount of time on our forums he would know that we break 500+ every night now just about and it dips off between Midnight and 8am pacific time, So I guess there isnt much of a demand for EQ in the old world, But we arent about to ruin our classic experience to customize yours, so yah if you cant understand that... well I guess your just a selfish person, this server isn't about your needs, its about the community and the community doesnt need 2 boxers!!

I play at all hours of the day, I see what the pop sits at and Incorporating ANY form of 2 Boxing would ruin that. VZTZ is full of boxers, go join them, no one in this community wants you here, Either play 1 client or GTFO.

::flame off::

Tuan
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
But we arent about to ruin our classic experience to customize yours, so yah if you cant understand that... well I guess your just a selfish person, this server isn't about your needs, its about the community and the community doesnt need 2 boxers!!:

Which is why I simply ASKED if there ever was a chance of allowing double boxing, and stated some reasons for why it might be beneficial. I didn't demand "omg you must change it to this because of me!".

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that would find it helpful to be able to two box because of circumstances, so I stated them.

No reason to act like an ass.

Humerox
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Which is why I simply ASKED if there ever was a chance of allowing double boxing, and stated some reasons for why it might be beneficial. I didn't demand "omg you must change it to this because of me!".

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that would find it helpful to be able to two box because of circumstances, so I stated them.

No reason to act like an ass.

There's always a chance. Like I said earlier, basically, according to Nilbog, two circumstances must be met. There must be a declining server population, and a general consensus. Neither of which exist atm.

Haynar
04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I would like to two box. I do not want to group. I do not like to group. I do not play well with others. I do not like to share.

I tried to play on the server and group. I didn't like grouping. Just like when I was on live.

On live, before my boxing days, I would either raid or solo. I rarely grouped even then, except on raids.

I am not a farmer. I found I am more help to others, with my own healer/slower to tag along with me. But in general, I prefer to do my own thing.

Eventually I hope we start to allow 2 boxing. I would like to enjoy the server too. As it is now, for me, playing on this server sucks. Lucky for you, I have very little time to play, and spend what time I can coding. When I have more time, I will probably want to start playing again, and will look at my options.

Haynar

Loretta
04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I share a similar situaiton to the Op. I dont really have so much time to play anymore, but I still think that there are merits to keeping it single IP. Mostly this promotes a strong community that is more forced to work together, rather than the route a lot of the other EQ Emulation servers have gone which can be fun initially but grows stale after not too long due too a lack of social interaction.

The boards here make it a lot easier to mingle without having to play though :).

Caere
04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I have to ask this though.

If you don't have time to get groups, why play a support class?

jilena
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I would like to two box because I think it makes it a little more fun/challenging.

That said, my view on two boxing is that you are basically taking up more bandwidth and contributing even less to the community. *shrug*

FrogKing
04-06-2010, 11:59 PM
My loathing for 2 boxing knows no bounds. I wouldn't say I'd quit if it were implemented here, hell I'd prolly do it myself, but it just changes the dynamics of so many things. It dilutes the game. I'm not about to say its not useful or can't be fun, challenging, or empowering but it marginalizes every tenet the game was founded on. Its the most powerful e-z moadlol button there is. I do feel for off-hour players and players that simply aren't comfortable grouping with random internet people but at the end of the day, this game is supposed to be hard and rewards players are lucky or that put their noses to the grindstone and get-r-dun regardless of circumstance...much like the much hated game IRL.

I loved alot of the convenience features that live eventually incorporated; shared banks, maps, pok books but 2 boxing is cancer plain and simple. It kills games from the inside out. It literally sucks the life out of online communities. I'll admit that I'm disappointed that a dev has spoken in favor of 2 boxing but w/e, its nice while its not here. I'm just thankful to whomever has made this experience possible, 2 boxing or no. /bow (but plz never allow 2 boxing :) )

Finawin
04-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Lol @ 2boxing making things more difficult.

My Cleric/Enchanter combo was unfuckingstoppable on Live. I could rape things your full group wishes it could.

Omnimorph
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Lol @ 2boxing making things more difficult.

My Cleric/Enchanter combo was unfuckingstoppable on Live. I could rape things your full group wishes it could.

Heh, i had a chanter / pally duo . It was essentially a poor man's shaman / sk :p

But i was able to solo (or duo as it was) amazingly effectively.

Ferok
04-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Heh, i had a chanter / pally duo . It was essentially a poor man's shaman / sk :p

But i was able to solo (or duo as it was) amazingly effectively.

That was my original duo as well, until the enchanter decided to start playing again. Clarity / haste on the paladin, slow on the opposing mob. Ahh.. the glory days.

Nedala
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Look at the servers where 2 boxing is allowed, they suck badly. They have half the peebs online than our server and half of them are 2,3,4,5,6 boxing. Thats just a joke. I hink the non boxing rule is one of the most important rules this server has, i play often at EU times and finding groups is not that bad, i dont see any problem with that... :)

Even if we had a population of 2000 peebs id still vote for a non boxing rule.

Kuldiin
04-07-2010, 04:55 PM
No thanks.

There are a ton of servers that allow 2 boxing on, go and play on them. Dont go coming to the only server that makes people group up and play solo toons and QQ that you cant box here.

If boxing is your shit, go play on a box server

Mordachai
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
No thanks.

There are a ton of servers that allow 2 boxing on, go and play on them. Dont go coming to the only server that makes people group up and play solo toons and QQ that you cant box here.

If boxing is your shit, go play on a box server

+1 and it was rare that I didn't 2-box on live. I just prefer not having to.

Kuldiin
04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
+1 and it was rare that I didn't 2-box on live. I just prefer not having to.

I 6 -8 box on some servers, the one thing that stands out for me any everyone else I know is the lack of boxing on p1999.