PDA

View Full Version : Something isnt right

Nomura
04-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Greetings everyone!

Ever since I started playing here I have had the most awful dual core lag. At least I think/am told that is what it is. I play on a laptop with Vista:o When I play the game, aside from zoning super slow, which I dont think is really fixable, my lag is really focused on my running.

Regularly, my speed is just that slightly faster than something that is snared. I cant tell you how many times this has gotten me killed because I either cant escape, or make to just before a zone. Which makes travelling to groups, or anywhere very time consuming. (Thanks to those with the patience for me to arrive!) Then, every once in a while the speed will reset to normal, but maybe only for about 20 seconds.

Fixes, I have asked many friends/guildies for ides on what to do, since I know next to nothing about computers. One fix that I got was to run cmd promt, and lead to the path of my eq folder c:\program files\sony\everquest , and then to input the follow to I think set the affinity imagecfg -a 0x1 eqgame.exe Sometimes, this worked, but to an opposite extreme. I would mostly run normal and then everything would speed up hyper fast and then calm down agian. But that doesnt seem to be working anymore.

Another fix that didnt word, was crt alt dlt-ing and setting the processor that way.

I have tried to find a fix on the boards and following the links to eqemu, but nothing seems to work. I downloaded WEQ2 or whatever that program is, but it wont run, I always get some type of error.

Also, I read something on here about disabling one of the cores, through run msconfig, and I tried that as well with no luck. I might have worked for a while actually, but eventually during play it returned to snare speed.

I have an AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile Tech processor thing, I even tried to download drivers for it, but then I am not sure what to do with them.

I have run out of ideas, and thought I would put this out there incase somebody with some greater knowledge can help me, please~!

I havent had any problem like this with a number of other MMORPGs I have played on my laptop. Also, I am the sole user, but I have to run eq.exe as an adminsitrator in order to work, which I think is strange. Any advice, is greatly appreciated. If there is more info you need, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nomura
野村

mixxit
04-06-2010, 12:14 AM
your eqgame.exe administrator permissions is so it can write to the folder that is read only to a normal user - this protection on those folders were introduced in vista and windows 7 but the titanium edition was probably still being heavily used on xp at the time.

as for the drivers you should probably just load them up and click next next next to most of it and do a reboot.

you should definitely be doing the processor affinity fix so this older version of eq can operate correctly on multi-core processors - even if it's not completely fixing your issue you will need this.

are the major slow down then speed up issues related to the ddos attacks that everyone has been experiencing? being in unrest we often find the zone freezes for a while then when the attacks stop everything happens at a very quick speed until it stabilises again?

Nomura
04-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Thanks for your advice Mixxit

That is what I thought with the drivers, but after they are zipped, they come in a folder, and it doesnt look like there is anyway to install them. That had me stuck after I got the files, I will check agian after work, but I am pretty sure there was no like application or anything to make them work. :\

No, I dont think the slow down speeds are related to that, though I do think I have experienced those at times, like when casting a spell or something it takes a little longer to recover, is that what you mean? The speed is mainly related to my movement and it happens in every zone.

When I first installed, I had that problem where the character just kind of glides everywhere and doesnt walk, but that got fixed, and now I have this slow thing. It really stinks being perma-snared.

Thanks agian,
野村
Nomura

mixxit
04-06-2010, 02:10 AM
maybe it's your laptop? have you taken a look at task manager (ctrl - alt - delete) and looked at the cpu/memory usage? It could just be that it's bottlenecking and then when it can breath again you are getting your speed back. I think vista has a few funky performance monitoring tools that might help. How about closing down your anti-virus and other running software if this is the case and giving that a go.

If the drivers don't come with an executable you probably just need to load them from within Device Manager which you can get to by right clicking My Computer and going to properties, finding your Display Adapter then going to Driver and clicking Update Driver - it will ask you for a path and you can point it to an INF file in that directory.

Good luck! Gotta shoot for an interview eep!

mixxit
04-06-2010, 02:10 AM
duped post

postmoderntease0
04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
I had the exact same problem on my computer. I had a modicum of help when I set the affinity to core 1, but it barely made a huge difference. It got the worst for me when more of the ground or wall textures in any particular zone were occupying my monitor. I had simply resigned myself to never being able to kite (Druid), when one day AVG started running a system scan while I was playing. My game immediately sped up to normal speeds in the exact same areas and camera angles that were causing me to be 'snared.'

I know it sounds insane but I swear it's true. To test it, I cancelled the scan and it immediately went back to the snare-run effect. I then manually started the scan-- voila, my run speed increased.

I thought AVG might be the root cause of the problem, so I went in and manually disabled component states one by one to no avail. None of them being disabled fixed anything. I then entirely uninstalled AVG (I was running 8.5 at the time and thought it might be my version since 9.0 came out), restarted, and the problem persisted-- snared running. Obviously AVG wasn't the cause (and therefore the solution) since it wasn't installed at this point.

I then downloaded/ installed AVG 9, started up EQ: snared running. I opened up the AVG shell applet, manually began a system scan with all options enabled at 'automatic' speed-- bam, my snared running immediately disappeared.

I'm running an intel dual-core laptop with Vista Home Premium, and I wonder if it may be an ACPI setting that's auto-tuning things in ways that don't affect desktops. My computer, although it is a laptop, is *more* than capable of running this game, and I use an extra laptop cooler to ensure it's got plenty of cooling.

Anyway, I just start an AVG scan whenever I'm in game now. The rest of my computer runs a little slowly, like if I want to alt+tab and look something up on the net, but it's more than functional.

My belief is that AVG uses up enough processor that windows relegates it to a separate core, so it has enough processor to do its job. In order to accomplish this, windows then switches some component services that EQ requires over to the same core as EQ, since they were likely running on a different core or a combination of the two (whence the speed up/ slow down effect).

In conclusion, here are my solution steps, if you want to try them:

1. Install AVG free 8.5 or higher (lower may work but these are my only confirmed instances)

2. Set EQ to the correct core affinity in the shortcut (without quotes)- "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 c:\progra~1\sony\everquest\eqgame.exe patchme"

3. Open up the AVG shell program and manually begin a system scan at 'automatic' speed, with all options enabled

4. Run EQ from shortcut.

It might not work for you, but it's worth a shot if you've exhausted all other options. Please let us know the results if you (or anyone else) tries this!

Nedala
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Im playing on a dual core Laptop too i also had some runspeed issued but not as bad as you describe yours.

This fixed it for me:

Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.

http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/compattab.jpg

Source (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx)

I played about 5 hours after i did the above change, and i didnt notice any further runspeed issues. Seemed to work.

I also tried wineq2 but this made my runspeed issues totally worse, so i kicked it off my laptop fast :D

Nomura
04-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Thank you so much for all the advice. But I still cant seem to do anything to fix it.

I tried c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 c:\progra~1\sony\everquest\eqgame.exe patchme" and double-checked the typing. But now when I load EQ, I can an Error, and I am unable to even play. It says;

Error in your GUIXML files. Check UIErrors.text

I have no idea what that could possibly mean.

Secondly, I also tried to set the compatibility, which I had thought I tried before and in fact I have. But for some reason "Compatability modes cannot be set on this program because it is part of this version of Windows." ;/

Please tell me I am just being stupid and did something wrong ;P

Nedala
04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
I just told what fixed it for me, im really sorry i cant tell you more im not really experienced in stuff like that, and i know nothing about vista.

Maybe you should just install XP again seems like vista/win7 make a lot of problems :p

Thorjorkill
04-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I've had similiar problems in the past. For some reason this ONLY works fullscreen for me.

First thing I would do is set EQ back to its defaults. 640x480, the whole nine yards.

Then back the horse up. Undo everything you have tried. Everything.

When sitting at the character select screen, hit CTRL+ALT+ESC and bring up task manager. Go to processes tab. Find eqgame.exe, right click it, set affinity...

1) Click on the checkmark <all processors> and it should uncheck everything
2) check CPU 1 only
3) hit ok
4) close task manager
5) ALT-TAB back to EQ and then if not fullscreen, hit ALT+ENTER

Tada!

Nomura
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I have just encountered an even worse problem: I cant even start the game.

I tried c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 c:\progra~1\sony\everquest\eqgame.exe patchme" and double-checked the typing. I fixed the pathing a little, so the cmd prompt at least starts, but then it says that the location cant be found or some BS like that which doesn't make sense.

Anyway, so I just gave and decided I would go back to how I played before, snared lag and all.

I went back to this page: http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=PlayGuide

so that I could reset the path for the Target, under my EQ shortcut Properties. However, it doesn't work. I don't know what I am doing wrong, every time I type it in, or paste it in, case sensitive, etc. I get this message:

The name C:\Program specified in the Target box are not valid. Please check the name and file again.

><

postmoderntease0
05-11-2010, 03:43 AM
I've noticed there are two postings of yours now where there's an extra " mark at the end of patchme. Make quintouple-sure there are *no* quote marks whatsoever if you use:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 C:\progra~1\Sony\EverQuest\eqgame.exe patchme

Also make sure you're *not* typing it in the "Start in" field. I've done that a few times.

If you're trying to test my AVG fix (which, by the way, I've confirmed works when you set it to a 'slow' scan, not only on the 'automatic' setting), you can just delete the eq shortcut and recreate it using the the same steps they have you do in the installation guide for eq emulator. After the game is opened, use the task manager to set the affinity, and that will accomplish the same thing for you. The shortcut mod just makes it so you don't have to use task manager every time you open EQ to set the processor affinity.

If you're doing this on a laptop, I will bet you anything that's why not many others have the same problems-- laptops have different ACPI (power regulation) settings than desktops, even if they have the same 'specs' on paper. This means the voltage for the cores is regulated differently for a laptop than it is for a desktop. I use a laptop, and that's the only logical reason why running an AVG scan is fixing my problem. It obviously has nothing to do with available system resources, or else an AVG scan would just make the problem worse. It's got to be a problem with how the computer thinks it's best to allocate those resources.

If you're running a desktop with these problems, it may have to do with voltage settings in the bios, so compare those against the required voltages listed by your CPU manufacturer.

I can't recall if you've done it but also be quintouple sure you've installed the AMD dual core optimizier thing. If necessary, uninstall it, restart, reinstall it, then restart again (I had to do this for it to work properly on my fiancee's computer).

Let us know what's up! I would love to know if the AVG fix works for someone else!

AstyTZ
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Ive got an Intel dual core with Windows 7 and also noticed an AVG-type fix. Even running iTunes helped. I didnt like that solution longterm though, and eventually I found a setting in my BIOS called SpeedStep which I think is an Intel setting that throttles the cpus based on the load. I disabled this option and my slow motion problems ceased. Causes my PC to run a bit hotter, but thats the price I pay. Not sure this would help the original poster or not. Does AMD have a similar cpu throttling feature? Is that what the dual core optimizer fixes?

Kerrik
05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
AMD has Cool'n'Quiet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool%27n%27Quiet) for desktop/server CPUs, and PowerNow! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerNow!) for Laptop processors.

I've run into the slow movement bug once or twice, but fixed it by rebooting my system. I'll have to check the BIOS to see if I have Cool'n'Quiet enabled.

dali_lb
05-20-2010, 07:25 AM
There might be some issues with all the afinity settings.
I am not running Vista anymore, and EQ runs on a pure WinXP machine now, so it isn't an issue for me anymore

(I have an AMD AM2 4600 cpu) and i had great problems with Live and the free trial client with crashes right after entering, or animations being stalled and char ski'ing at a hillarious fast rate and jumping up to 100 feet at each update. At this point i was using Vista crap

So I got help from SoE and went do some AMD downloads wich didn't do scrap. Then i got the Afinity settings tip, and this did it for the Free Trial Client.

Then upgrading to full version SoF Client it got spiffy, cause the problems was 90% gone, but game still sometimes stalls character animations, wich then requires a zone reload (logout and back in, or just zoning).

Even I set the afinity in the shortcut, or manually change it in the task manager to only core 1 (you set the afinity for the launcher on live, wich then launces eqgame with same afinity)

I still have the same problems with P99 that It sometimes stalls the animations, but then again, in win XP I can't set the afinity no matter you have full admin rights, unless you use some form of hacks or apps that can get around this limitation.

However the latest versions of Live Client seem to have fixed the Dual Core issues

Keebz
07-23-2010, 05:30 AM
I have the exact same problems as nomura. I am running eq on a intel dual core vista laptop with 4gigs of ddr2 and a GeForce 8400m. I have been running Avira AntiVirus scans in the background for a week or so now. Fixes runspeed, but my framerate drops from 100ish to 30ish. It would be interesting to figure out what is behind all of this. I'd really like a true fix, as I can't play high end with 30fps.

Koota
07-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm running a dual core AMD and had issues where I would crash randomly or while zoning. Additionally, characters models would freeze completely and it would look like my character was gliding. And also I would move hyper speed for a moment only to slow back down. I was able to fix all of that by installing and running WinEQ 2.1.5 Lite. It's simple. Easy to use. But most importantly, it has resolved all my issues I've had in the past.