PDA

View Full Version : Question about warriors

Dalem
11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I have been contemplating rolling a warrior for this server, but I have some hesitations. I really dislike large races and want to either roll a half-elf or a woodelf. My question is will I be able to tank adequately even with the subpar stats or will I be so gimped that noone would take me as a tank? Knowing how group reliant warriors are I wouldn't be willing to roll a warrior if small races aren't viable. Thanks

valithteezee
11-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Shouldn't make a difference really in the long run. Sucks not having bash in classic though.

juicedsixfo
11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I have been contemplating rolling a warrior for this server, but I have some hesitations. I really dislike large races and want to either roll a half-elf or a woodelf. My question is will I be able to tank adequately even with the subpar stats or will I be so gimped that noone would take me as a tank? Knowing how group reliant warriors are I wouldn't be willing to roll a warrior if small races aren't viable. Thanks

You'll be fine. The question is whether or not the non existent AC mitigation issue is going to be addressed or not. You might be even better off as an elf with more AGI.

Sprinkle
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
small race warriors are very viable , i was planning on making one myself

while ogres and trolls have a clear advantage to stam / str it fades with levels and becomes smaller

the biggest bonus is being able to wear full suits of bronze , carry backpacks and have some minor coin

the hp boost isnt as big as you might think , make a shortie war and a ogre war level each up and compare hp , youll be surprised

the stun resist is nice but for lower end eq it does nothing trust me

you dont see anything hitting hard till kael / tov on these classic boxes anyways , and it dont hit fast enough to stun lock a war out of his aggro job

Dalem
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the speedy replies. Looks like I'll be playing a warrior!

Shamanx
11-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I think the biggest thing people overlook with the "which race" game is size. Sure, a troll and ogre are better than say, a gnome or dwarf for most classes that have the option for both. But you know who people are targeting in group/mass PvP? The trolls and ogres, because they are so easy to follow both for melees and casters. The more people targeting you = the quicker you die. No one targets the dwarf warrior if there's an ogre warrior.

Greenkrak
11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I dont know why people think stats dont matter in the long run.

thats the complete opposite... stats like Stra and Sta really dont mean shit in the begginning until you are high level.

And when your lvl 50 the difference in HP between you as a wood elf and an Ogre will be very substantial, not takin into account any gear your looking at a 300ish diff in HP (maybe more)

High str once the damage cap is removed (at lvl 20 or 24?) will make a difference in your max hit, your max crit, and ultimately your max crip.

either way you can succeed just dont beleive the hype that it doesnt matter cuz theres a big ass difference.

Dalem
11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know how much hp warriors get per point of stamina at 50?

Sprinkle
11-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I dont know why people think stats dont matter in the long run.

thats the complete opposite... stats like Stra and Sta really dont mean shit in the begginning until you are high level.

And when your lvl 50 the difference in HP between you as a wood elf and an Ogre will be very substantial, not takin into account any gear your looking at a 300ish diff in HP (maybe more)

High str once the damage cap is removed (at lvl 20 or 24?) will make a difference in your max hit, your max crit, and ultimately your max crip.

either way you can succeed just dont beleive the hype that it doesnt matter cuz theres a big ass difference.

green your str / stam will be capped in the end easily

the difference is ogres and trolls can wear the full bronze and not be encumbered

clearly elves / shorties have an agility advantage and they arent annoyingly huge

and yes ogres get over targetd in pvp , easy to see thats the price

bled12345
11-08-2011, 09:32 PM
hmmm as someone who was on p99 for a year as a 50 ogre war before kunark, and who got to 54 after kunark i thought i'd chime in my 2 cents.

In all the different guilds and raids I tanked in, unless it was just regular trash clearing in the planes, it always seemed to default to the ogre/trolls unless a small race tank was just stacked with better gear.

Also when people say "you cap out easily anyways" I have to say that is TOTAL *BS*, when I rolled my ogre war I split between str and sta evenly with no dexterity, in full indolicite armor and end game pre kunark gear I *JUST* barely cracked 255 str with full raid buffs, and had like 253 sta or something like that if I remember correctly, but like I said that was with full out stacked raid buffs as a main tank, with just regular gear I was nowhere near 255 with str/sta and thats with end game gear AND ogre str/sta race boost.

So don't be fooled by people saying stats are capped easily...

Also my other piece of advice when rolling a warrior, SLAM!!! OMFG you have no idea how amazingly useful that little button was. It saved my ass NUMEROUS TIMES! You dont always roll with groups that have great stun classes, and when you do your group isn't always on the ball with them.

Eg, mob starts casting ice comet, /slam interrupt = 700+ damage saved.

To me that alone is invaluable and something not to be taken lightly in this game ever, people just dont notice it as much as us warriors do, when they aren't the one that just interrupted a 700dmg+ nuke its easy to overlook in the spam, but when you interrupt with that, wow, you don't miss it lol.

Also another huge thing to consider on a PVP server, casters butt pwning you..... as your only reliable interrupt I wouldn't pass on that racial advantage without some thought either.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

Sprinkle
11-08-2011, 09:41 PM
slam dont work on anything above 55 and indocolite is hardly raid gear

velious isnt out yet but it will be soon and stats will cap very easily

and even raid buffed with crap shorties can hit 200+ with str / stam and theres little difference

unless your tanking tunat or similar raid mob that can 1 round the tank

you dont need that big of a hp pool

bled12345
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Since i'm bored I thought i'd add some negatives too haha, since my post made ogre seem like the only way to go.

Being an ogre warrior was a HUGE pain in the ass sometimes. In dungeons with no shrink pots was unbelievabley shitty.

Also randomly getting ass raped by KOS NPC's I stumbled across and didn't expect really sucked. Like going through the tunnels in FP to get to the boat there is 1 super NPC who is KOS while none of the others are, shit like that was annoying and made multiple shitty CRs,

Another thing that sucks about ogre war's is having to go sooo far out of your way just to sell shitty dungeon loot, there are so few evil merchants around classic norrath its pretty gay.

Another thing that was pretty annoying was the bind points, good races get way more conveniant places to bind, like wfp for example. Ogres got oggok, grobb, and neriak. Neriak is ok for sol b, and grobb is good for guk, but both are so far away from anything else where as wfp is kind of a handy get to everywhere place.

When it comes to the actual FIGHTING part ogre is the way to go, when it comes to the other 90% of stuff like running to groups getting binds and all the other stuff that kills all your gametime ogre war is a fucking pain in the ass haha.

anyways hope that helped.

Sprinkle
11-08-2011, 09:47 PM
ill agree to all that being an ogre is rough

it hurts being big

plus your not very liked around and classic is big focus on goodie goodie towns and areas

Dalem
11-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the info but still wondering how much health one stamina provides a 50 war

Sprinkle
11-08-2011, 10:15 PM
5 or 10 i believe?

Sprinkle
11-08-2011, 10:15 PM
proccing weapons and AC are the most important for warriors anyway

not some 10k tank with no aggro : )

bled12345
11-08-2011, 10:42 PM
haha obviously some bias me being an ogre and you being a tiny person tank.

but prekunark indicolite not being raid gear? What else is there really, it makes up the bulk of your armor set.

I don't think for a second that little warriors can't tank, but there are some DEFINITE no shit advantages that can't be overlooked as an ogre.

Slam is just indisputably awesome, having big numbers in your stats is fucking sweet too, lets face it. EQ is all about spending that 5k plat for a better armor piece that increases your strength by 2 more than you had and gives you 1 more AC haha.

And the raid psyche of throwing ogre's out as the main tank can't be argued either, stat wise tank wise whatever, people see a giant round dough ball and just naturally feel inclined to prop them up as the main meat shield before a little assling warrior or gnome haha.

bled12345
11-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the info but still wondering how much health one stamina provides a 50 war

like sprinkle was saying, 5-10 hp I can't remember exactly and its hard to find the accurate numbers. 200+ you hit the soft cap and every stat point only has the effect of 0.5 too, I can't remember exact numbers but I remember being stacked at 50 pre kunark and high elf paladins only having a few hundred HP less than me lol.

Sprinkle
11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
kunark will roll out before anyone hits 50 on this box

and velious isnt far off

tsaC
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
like sprinkle was saying, 5-10 hp I can't remember exactly and its hard to find the accurate numbers. 200+ you hit the soft cap and every stat point only has the effect of 0.5 too, I can't remember exact numbers but I remember being stacked at 50 pre kunark and high elf paladins only having a few hundred HP less than me lol.

got all this type of info on our guild boards, you guys r slackin maine.

jrwriter
11-09-2011, 01:08 AM
30 hps for 10 stam I believe