PDA

View Full Version : Duo Recommendation

maultar
04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I am duoing my mage (lvl 18) with a clr and when she hits 16 we are out of befallen I think. Milked that exp modifier as long as we could. Thinkin of moving on to Uppger Guk. Any particular camp you can recommend we level up on? One that she can easily cast soothe on to help crowd control? Unrest would be tough its over populated and hard to soothe and not as good of a modifier as guk anyway. Thanks

Crone
04-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Guk is more group friendly, than duo friendly. There are a lot of just simple camps that mobs can be pulled and killed. I think when you get 23 or higher, going into full groups might be more necessary.

maultar
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
If I can strafe into a doorway and see a room with mobs then she should be able to do the same and lull/soothe. Issue is with unrest you stand in a doorway ur too close to mobs and they all come.

If memory serves we could get to some rooms in guk where there may only be 1-2 hall roamers between rooms which is no big deal. I just cant remember camp names. We'll try it I'll report back. What's the worst that can happen? :)

Lonedrahon25
04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
My father and I are a Duo Mage and Cleric, we Duo MM all the time and its WAYYYY faster exp with just us 2 then with a full group. IMO duo as long as you can. I think we went to Unrest when we were around that lvl. Stayed there till we moved to MM around lvl 20.

guineapig
04-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I would say you're much safer and better off duoing in a place like South Karana then a dungeon. Also in SK there are 2 different places where you can sell loot without even having to leave the zone. The aviak village should get you great exp at least till around 28 and then you can get a couple more levels doing gnolls outside splitpaw.

maultar
04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Aviak village from 18 to 28? Do the mobs get harder deeper in? That's a wide range.

Lone, how did you two do unrest and manage 3-4 mob pulls.

Devil
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I've seen this come up a few times before in old threads. General consensus, a shaman + anything is basically the bomb. SHM + SK or NEC is nuts. Haste, Regen, Invis, IVU, there's pretty much nothing you can't do and nowhere you can't go.

Crone
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Aviak village gets harder as you move up the ramp. Avocets, at the top, is the hardest mob which is levels 28+ I think.

Devil
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
The exp in aviak village is pretty weak in comparison to what you can get in MM. If your duo consists of someone who can harmony its not hard. And it's outdoors. Just need to do it at times of the day/night where it's not packed.

guineapig
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Aviak village from 18 to 28? Do the mobs get harder deeper in? That's a wide range.

Lone, how did you two do unrest and manage 3-4 mob pulls.

Multipart answer. The mobs vary greatly on the ground floor and the mob you will get upon respawn is fairly random. Egrets and Rooks are the most common on the ground but occasionally you will get an Avocet instead. You really never have to pull from the ramp and since it takes a long time to become KOS there you can sell to the aviak vendor without having to invis and/or lull to get there.

Also, you get almost the same amount of exp for light blue mobs as you do for dark blue ones so even though the Egrets become trivial fairly early on they are still decent exp and fast kills. The rooks will pretty much keep you occupied till 27-ish when they start becoming light blue.

Final note: At 18 they are all still red cons, but can be solo pulled to a safe spot on the nearby hill. Ans you can get additional group members there quite easily to speed up the kills and it's no big deal when they decide to leave with no notice.

Lonedrahon25
04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Aviak village was a fail for the duo we had going, we would clear the entire village before a single pop, and the EXP was nothing compared to dungeon XP. And as far as unrest went, you can just sit outside along the walls and pull from the house, as well as wandering mobs outside.

Lonedrahon25
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Ohh and the aviaks from the village top out at like lvls 24-25, i forget. Id say go Unrest.

Devil
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah I love unrest. The problem is that...everyone else also loves it. Makes it tough to do a whole lot there. I prefer Befallen at lower levels because of sheer lack of players that go there.

Lonedrahon25
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Befallen drove me nuts to no end. I think we lvled maybe 2-3 lvls there and called it quits and went strait to Unrest, was much better in the long run.

Devil
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah the only problem with Befallen is the caster mobs. If you can't handle them and get unlucky on repops and they are plentiful...it kind of sucks.

maultar
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Not only that but again with rooms that have multi mobs in them thats tough to handle with a clr and mage duo. Also who pulls in that scenario? Ghouls root so if you pull to the outside wall what do you do if you get rooted? Tell the clr to run in while u and pet beat on stuff?

Just ironing out the nitty gritty. And yeah it's a busy place. I tell you what when we are of level we WILL be duoing kedge. I am a kedge self proclaimed expert.

guineapig
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I was specifically referring to an easy place for a mage and a cleric to duo. I never said it was the best exp.

With the aviak village you have little to no competition, no trains, no adds, no nukes, roots or dots to worry about. They are all non-kos straight melee right by a zoneline with a merchant a right on top of the village.

Dunegons have ZEM modifiers so of course they will give much better exp on a kill per kill basis.

EDIT:
My bad, egrets would would not be red con at 18, darters would be yellow or white con. I got a little confused with the names. So yes, if you had a ton of darters and egrets up at once, then that would be a quick kill cycle. Also at 18 I'm not sure you would be able to handle the Avocets yet, but maybe.

maultar
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I appreciate the ingo guine. We may fall back on it. But for the time being we are willing to risk the dungeon scenario. Only thing I see being an issue is ghoul root on pull and too many people killing there at unrest.

Crone
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Upper guk is way cooler!

Lonedrahon25
04-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I only pull with my pet, never myself, i used the fire pet in the duo cases, as rooting with earth can sometimes be painful. lol

Scrooge
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM
No risk, no reward! Remember that!

Dungeons are harder sure, but they also yield better xp and loot than most outdoor zones!

Devil
04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Haha when Kunark rolls around outdoor zones are the bomb. LOIO, OT, DL. I'd level in those places any day over classic zones. :)

guineapig
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Haha when Kunark rolls around outdoor zones are the bomb. LOIO, OT, DL. I'd level in those places any day over classic zones. :)

Word!

Nice and easy leveling with zero trains and corpse runs and then worry about getting gear when I'm done leveling. Not to mention the random drops that Kunark had in outdoor zones!!!

Crone
04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Regardless of the number of trains, I still love Karnor's Castle. :)

maultar
04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Well we gonna try guk since its close I'll let u know. As for Unrest Lone, pull with pet? Cool, but what about rooms where you need to open the door and send pet in, when you open the door you've aggro'ed. Do you hit F8 near the door then send pet in to open the door for you?

Then when you tell the pet to back off and follow you to wall how do you and the cleric deal with 2-3 mobs? Have the cleric root 2? Or just burn 1 down heal the pet and move on to next? Fine tuning strategy here. Thanks again

Lonedrahon25
04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I used F9 alot, (Different camera views). Honestly 98% of my play time is spent in distant camera view. I used it to get inside doors and pan around rooms, works for the most part, sometimes, not so much. U'll just have to get a feel for it.

guineapig
04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Regardless of the number of trains, I still love Karnor's Castle. :)

I'll definitely agree with that! Of course the ZEM there, combined with the ease of which to get there and the fact that you could solo mobs outside while LFG helped. :D

Omnimorph
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Targeting in rooms with closed doors and what not, if you know what spawns there is to do /target <mob_name>

I use it particularly to check for named mobs, as well as to pacify rooms (where getting LoS to target would more than likely aggro the whole room)

Just remember that it only seems to work if you do the _ , for example in a group in uguk i had to /target a_froglok_tsu_shaman etc.

LevinJ
04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I've leveled my magi by duo'ing or soloing more often than not from 1-40.

I was in Crushbone from about 4-12. Duo'ed from 8-12 in one night with Heallun (cleric).

Did Unrest/Uguk from 12-32. Can solo or duo with cleric. When I was lvl30 I duo'ed the unrest basement (including dwarf ghost) with a 27 cleric. We both left that camp a few hours later with several levels gained and a pair of boots.

Solo'ed the Lguk dead zoneline from 34-39. Killing all the live mobs except the 3-spawn room, and all the dead mobs up to the 2 at the end right before BR. Gained close to 3 blues per spawn cycle up to 39 (closer to one full yellow per spawn cycle at 34). When I found a cleric to duo with, we did BR/bats/GIBs or camped the bridge area in Lguk. Tried doing the Uguk Lord room with a cleric partner, went from 36-37 in there with a 29 cleric.

Once I hit 40, started doing Solb. At 41 now, mostly done groups in royals or duoing around Noble room to get out of 40 hell lvl.

Moral of the story: Unrest and Guk. For alternatives when you get bored, honorable mention to MM and Cazic Thule.

maultar
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
We will indeed be hitting CT. We know that zone like the back of our hands from the old days.

We tried uguk last night, nice exp. The Lag spikes killed us though but a 50 cleric resed us. CR's are easy thank goodness with invis. I was scared though running around. We will try it again hopefully no lag spikes tonight.

As for targeting rooms I just use eye of zomm now and have her /assist me lol. Sucks when she gets a resist though they all come running.

Lonedrahon25
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Totally forgot about that tactic, very pro!