PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: PVP book enables item loot

oldfish
11-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Its just something off the top of my head, havent had time to really think it through.

But wouldnt it be a nice idea to have people turning in the PVP book on red, and then make it so that it "turns on" item loot?

Then the only people you can loot from/can loot from you are the people who also turned in that book?

Since most people deleted that book though, any kind of flagging would work.

I suggest a 1 week deflagger so that people cant turn this on or off at will, but can also give it a try and give it up if they dont like it.

Also, "Deep red" players (flagged for item loot) would have to do something like 80% total dmg combined for loot to drop, as to prevent exploiting by people who arent flagged.

This in turn could be abused by having friendly people who arent flagged nuke you to save your loot... i dont know, together we can troubleshoot this?

Other edit: Some kind of standard no drop set could be patched in and then people would mix and match the rest, choosing how deep they wanna go toward item loot.

Nuk3Afr1ca
11-05-2011, 07:27 AM
That would be l33t. I would do it if the server used EQ live resists. Too bad only casters would do it under the Null resist system regime.

C5BAMF
11-05-2011, 10:34 AM
It wouldn't really be used. If only 5% of the population turns in you'd basically be giving away your equipment to players you couldn't get it back from. It's good you're coming up with ideas though.

Billbike
11-05-2011, 10:39 AM
That would be l33t. I would do it if the server used EQ live resists. Too bad only casters would do it under the Null resist system regime.

News flash: It would be naked casters either way.

Tamiah2011
11-05-2011, 10:42 AM

your a complete moron, have you even played pvp where loot items was possiable?Your the type of carebear that killed RZ to begin with, so please sthu.

oldfish
11-05-2011, 11:04 AM
It wouldn't really be used. If only 5% of the population turns in you'd basically be giving away your equipment to players you couldn't get it back from. It's good you're coming up with ideas though.

My suggestion was that you only lose gear to players that, like yourself, have turned in the PVP book.

If you die to a player that has not turned in the book, he cant loot you.

Billbike
11-05-2011, 11:05 AM
your a complete moron, have you even played pvp where loot items was possiable?Your the type of carebear that killed RZ to begin with, so please sthu.

Bag, gate, zone tag, suicide to mobs, reroll Mage or necro..

I'll play either way. Just saying that people are not stupid enough to just PvP and lose items. possiable LOL. Moran would have fit better in your paragraF.

oldfish
11-05-2011, 11:15 AM
With my suggestion, players could have their cake and eat it too.

Item loot would be up to the players to choose, and then only players who chose that can be looted by "deep red" players.

So no whining that "no item loot is shit" - "item loot is shit"

Only thing left to know is how easy this is to code

Billbike
11-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I do like your idea oldfish.

PVPBetaChamps
11-05-2011, 12:22 PM
god damn stop with the item loot shit, isnt this your 2nd thread on it in less than a week?

stfu.

SearyxTZ
11-05-2011, 12:59 PM
This would be cool and has no major implications since it's optional (and I doubt many people would be xXxh4rdc0r3xXx enough to do it anyway - 5%, maybe)

If it's a severe time-consuming pain in the ass to code though, I'd backburner it

Naez 4.20
11-05-2011, 01:27 PM
would basically just take adding db column in the client table "item_loot_flag(BOOLEAN)", add a couple lines to PoD perl quest to set it, and a 4 line switch statement in client::death() to generate proper corpse. You could even generate the item lootable corpse only after checking if both parties are flagged.

I say code it then just enable it by default with no way to turn off imo

oldfish
11-05-2011, 01:36 PM
god damn stop with the item loot shit, isnt this your 2nd thread on it in less than a week?

stfu.

This isnt my 2nd thread about it, it is your 2nd time you are flaming me for no good reason outside of rant and flames though. Please take your flaming there.

I hope this idea gets taken upon if its easy to code, it would make everyone happy since its optional.

Softcore PK
11-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Not a terrible idea I suppose. I would not be flagging myself for item loot, though.

stonetz
11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Love the idea, I can see it being somewhat exploited some how. I'd say a shitty and cheap way to take advantage would be to have a gank squad with say 2 or 3 non item loot chars and a naked wiz with item loot enabled. They beat on an item loot enabled person running around, the naked or almost naked wiz takes the kill shot and grabs the loot.

No risk to the gank squad at all and easy kills for easy loot. People say "this sucks balls, I want to go back to normal" they can't and they quit.

If there's a way to make it work without people abusing it then I'd be all for it but I don't see it.

Naez 4.20
11-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Yea it's gotta be an all or nothing type of thing

Korisek
11-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Love the idea, I can see it being somewhat exploited some how. I'd say a shitty and cheap way to take advantage would be to have a gank squad with say 2 or 3 non item loot chars and a naked wiz with item loot enabled. They beat on an item loot enabled person running around, the naked or almost naked wiz takes the kill shot and grabs the loot.

No risk to the gank squad at all and easy kills for easy loot. People say "this sucks balls, I want to go back to normal" they can't and they quit.

If there's a way to make it work without people abusing it then I'd be all for it but I don't see it.

There's a priest of order NPC walking around Qeynos on the blue server that can reverse PvP status.

Perhaps something similar can be put in?

stonetz
11-05-2011, 05:02 PM
There's a priest of order NPC walking around Qeynos on the blue server that can reverse PvP status.

Perhaps something similar can be put in?

Problem is people would only go itemloot when they wanted to go gank people snag some shit and then switch back. If it's not all or nothing it will take the fun out of it / get abused etc.

Another option might be an area / zone whatever that was item loot enabled. I don't know how hard that would be to code, doesn't seem that bad to me but I'm not balls deep in the code.

hell maybe even a /itemduel but I'm more concerned with essential mechanics than item loot. It can wait.

oldfish
11-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Then they could code it like a PVE kill. He has to do the most dmg for item loot to kick in. Still a naked wiz could still do most of the dmg... but at least youd know who to go for first lol

Thanks for pointing out a flaw scenario though, i wouldnt want this in if it can be easily exploited

boss
11-05-2011, 07:42 PM
That would be l33t. I would do it if the server used EQ live resists. Too bad i only like the cock in my mouth regime.

oldfish
11-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Bumping this because people with 50s running alt twinks will enjoy this, and its on a voluntary basis so no tears.

Gremel
11-09-2011, 05:41 PM
I didn't mind item loot on Rallos. It made you really think about what you were going to equip and it kept some twinking in check -- do you really want to risk a pack of lvl 9 zerging you and taking your super-awesome-trade-able-item-of-ridiculousness on your de-leveled-barbarian-rogue ganker...

Item loot (a single equipped non-weapon item, or item in primary inventory slots i.e. not in a bag) encourages equiping no-drop items and using trade skill created items (easily replaceable). it makes pvp a little more dangerous (you will lose stuff as well as xp and coin). it will reign in rampant twinking later in the life of the server. it also encourages bagging, zoning, gating, etc.

so there are benefits and drawbacks. I for one will mourn the loss of the attitude: "well this is all junk, better just take their pants 'cause it's funny"

zixxer
11-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Why would anyone be against this idea, don't turn in the damn book if you don't want too...

Muaar
11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
NOT CLASSIC

Nirgon
11-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Should just be single item loot anyway. People tend to be able to bag their best item first anyways. This xp loss thing is .... bad :P.

oldfish
03-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Bumping this again because i think its a good compromise between full on item loot and no item loot at all.

Nirgon
03-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Shoulda just put it in from the start, same people'd be here.

If you think a melee twink with jboots isn't dangerous.. you never met Huff / my SK twinks on live.

oldfish
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Me personally, when I make a post, I read it back to myself to make sure it makes sense, is relevant, and actually explains/addresses issues with the point i'm trying to get across.

oldfish on the other hand just goes full on retard, necro bumps a thread from 4 months ago (before the server even launched) with a terrible one-liner idea that addresses none of the blaring issues with it, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with current server issues.

i must say, it is quite the mix up from his usual posts about xp loss causing the apocalypse and ending mankind.

Right, except i edited it.

Full retard indeed.

Has nothing to do with adding pvp incentives because we all know how often it happens below 50, alot.

Would certainly not help spice it up and provide motivation to roll alts, get people to lose some of that shiny gear, stimulate the economy.

Steaks2
03-07-2012, 09:22 PM

hi , i played on rallos , billi is very correct

the only casters who werent naked were FULLY GEARED with insta pots and items hotkeyed , fully buffed , and used hacks to escape

and yes

they killed you

oldfish
03-08-2012, 01:20 AM
hi , i played on rallos , billi is very correct

the only casters who werent naked were FULLY GEARED with insta pots and items hotkeyed , fully buffed , and used hacks to escape

and yes

they killed you

Thats nonsense, i started there in the summer of 2001, as a naked wiz. You did have some mid lvl twinks and also hardcore twinks running around, not able to land a single root on them.

It was super hard for me, things got better after the halloween event of 2001 where i got like 7-8 no drop pieces.

Lots of new guys with me also, i remember laughing as we were chasing this twink SK and only denting his health, like 3 of us on him.

Item loot is fine, devs could find a way to get the halloween set in there and/or other no drop pieces as a standard set you can keep, then mix and match with lootable gear.

Yukahwa
03-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Best thing about item loot is making no drop gear worth while. At this point I would almost be pissed if they implemented item loot because I would have rolled a human cleric instead of a halfling.

People imagining these terrible scenarios with item loot obviously never played it. It just means its worthwhile to have twinks and its worthwhile to try to gank twinks. Sure, some twinks are running around murdering folks just for fun, but a lot of them are after other twinks rubi BP's. Its a lot of fun.

Either way I think that P99 crowd is too blue to go with item loot, I don't know if its a good idea at this point.

As per flagging for item loot..no point. As mentioned, if you stayed flagged, a gank squad would log on, flag, and murder you, and then turn in their unflag books and play it safe for a week or whatever until they were safe to use their gear again.

If flagging was both optional and permanent, the risk would not be worth it, and it would be really uncommon.

oldfish
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
As per flagging for item loot..no point. As mentioned, if you stayed flagged, a gank squad would log on, flag, and murder you, and then turn in their unflag books and play it safe for a week or whatever until they were safe to use their gear again.

If flagging was both optional and permanent, the risk would not be worth it, and it would be really uncommon.

Thats not really a problem, make it 2 or 3 weeks if we have to.

The real problem to me is how do we stop non-flagged from nuking down friends to prevent item loot.

Relikk
03-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I remember item loot on original VZ.

/engage PVP opponent w/full resist gear (mostly droppable)

/outcome shifts in your favor (yesss.... hope I get SMR)

/tide turns and now odds are against you

/maniac run in other direction while opening all bags to put gear up while also screaming at the top of your lungs and banging desk/keyboard

Good times.....

Steaks2
03-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Thats nonsense, i started there in the summer of 2001, as a naked wiz. You did have some mid lvl twinks and also hardcore twinks running around, not able to land a single root on them.

It was super hard for me, things got better after the halloween event of 2001 where i got like 7-8 no drop pieces.

Lots of new guys with me also, i remember laughing as we were chasing this twink SK and only denting his health, like 3 of us on him.

Item loot is fine, devs could find a way to get the halloween set in there and/or other no drop pieces as a standard set you can keep, then mix and match with lootable gear.

oh so you played a naked caster like everyone else and farmed melee's? ok bro !

oldfish
03-08-2012, 08:05 PM
oh so you played a naked caster like everyone else and farmed melee's? ok bro !

Let me put you in the harrison ignore bag i got right here with your other accounts... there.

pewpeat
03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
didnt read all this but what would stop a level 50 group from ganking all day with a throw away lvl 10 character in the group thats flagged to loot everyone they kill without themselves ever being in danger?

oldfish
03-11-2012, 03:40 AM
didnt read all this but what would stop a level 50 group from ganking all day with a throw away lvl 10 character in the group thats flagged to loot everyone they kill without themselves ever being in danger?

They could but i dont see a guy with no 50 connections going for item loot right off the bat.

Yea you could have a bunch of 50s rollin around with a lowbie to look for loot, but you could have multiple crews like that and pvp would happen.

Swampfeet
03-11-2012, 04:24 AM
http://www.joelrozier.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/supreme_frame.jpg

Flunklesnarkin
03-11-2012, 06:01 AM
As an idea I think it has merit.

Giving people more options to PvP and certainly an outlet for the real hard core pvp'ers can't be a bad thing.

The key word there is option...

If you don't choose to enable the option why is it so wrong if somebody else wants too heh. (unless it makes you feel you aren't really "hardcore" anymore lol)

but yah no point in tearing apart a good idea with specific game mechanics or what if's

like "what if a lvl 10 accidentally trades lulz" (um GM unflag them or unflag quest of some sort?)

the devil is in the details.. but i support the general concept

Chett
03-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Give us a daily "happy - item loot - hour". 7 to 8pm.

Thx in advance to the satff, that cares so much about us.