PDA

View Full Version : Do you get xp from a pvp kill?

stonetz
11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Do you get XP when you kill someone in PVP or does that xp they lose just go poof?

I could see it really encouraging pvp or at least not making people as pissed when they die if it's not just wasted.

Of course the pvp death would have to be non rezzable.

apologies if this has already been brought up.

Pudge
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Do you get XP when you kill someone in PVP

no.

Doors
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Too abusable.

stonetz
11-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Too abusable.

Yeah that's my concern as well. Could probably be done safely but not worth all the time. I'm happy as hell the way things are going.

dusk883
11-01-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm sure it won't happen. Instead, we should do like the first graphical MMO pvp game did (Ultima Online)...allow you to contribute to a BOUNTY for the killer's head. Once you have a sizeable bounty, then when the killer is killed, his head is LOOTABLE and taken in to an NPC guard to collect that bounty.

We aren't going completely classic anyway... so why not IMO.

oldfish
11-01-2011, 05:22 PM
They could code diminishing returns on pvp xp if its not a hassle.

A bounty system could be a nice addition later on.

georgie
11-01-2011, 05:22 PM
not classic

stonetz
11-01-2011, 05:23 PM
not classic

Neither is losing XP to a pvp death.
I remember they put it in briefly and everyone was pissed.

Lazortag
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm sure it won't happen. Instead, we should do like the first graphical MMO pvp game did (Ultima Online)...allow you to contribute to a BOUNTY for the killer's head. Once you have a sizeable bounty, then when the killer is killed, his head is LOOTABLE and taken in to an NPC guard to collect that bounty.

Why do you need a bounty system coded in to have a bounty system? Just hire people to kill your enemies for you.

dusk883
11-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Why do you need a bounty system coded in to have a bounty system? Just hire people to kill your enemies for you.

Nowhere near as fun. If you have a server available bounty system like UO did, you knew some guys were worth TONS of money. Me giving someone 12k or whatevs to kill someone is a joke IMO. Now if many people are contributing for the head of So and So, that's different, it's an alternative YT IMO. Non-invasive and plain FUN. It was the single best part of UO back in the day, I thought anyway. Besides getting the "murderer" tag where once you were tagged a "murderer" for 8x unprovoked murders, you suffered stat-loss (or exp-loss as far as EQ goes) once you were killed by someone. Grindcore should love this, yeah?

Crenshinabon
11-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I actually approve Dusk's idea, but just worry about this late. Can always be added.

dusk883
11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
It went like this in UO, when you died, a popup window came up, "Do you wish to contribute to the bounty of SoandSo's head? YES or NO" If yes, you entered in how much of your money would go to the collective bounty and the server would subtract that from your bank.

SoandSo might die three or four times before someone actually looted him (suicide, or death in pve in some remote area) but whoever had loot rights could loot SoandSo's head if he had a sizeable bounty (top 50 or something). Loot head, return to any city, turn it in to any guard. Cash on the spot. R99 could turn this into a sink by taxing 20% or whatever.

Most of the real pvp drama on the Napa Valley shard (with the wtfman.com guys) was everyone chasing down the top 10 guys, the cash to be had was unreal. You might see Judge Joodi running through town, 50 guys chasing her.. all day long. That's fun my friends. Nothing motivates people more than cash money plat IMO.

jrwriter
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
It's easily abusable by having ur friend kill u split the bounty

dusk883
11-01-2011, 06:28 PM
It's easily abusable by having ur friend kill u split the bounty

DAMN UR RIGHT

Wonder how it was live for so long on UO however... guys would be in the Top 10 for months. Had to be something. I'm now thinking that the stat loss from pvp death once tagged a "murderer" was so great that it wasn't worth the cash. It could take 24+ play time hours to get .01% stat gain and a pvp death as a murderer often cost 5.00%.

Amuk
11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Rogeans definitely going to take the time to code this, keep up the debate.

stonetz
11-02-2011, 04:43 AM
Man UO was so ruthless, did that ever change? I remember you could have all your badass gear and then get smoked and lose all of it, yet you were shit without it so you had to wear it out there.

EQ is rough as hell compared to WOW etc but seemed friendlier in a way coming from UO.

Bkab
11-02-2011, 04:51 AM

Scrooge
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM

Now there's an idea worth considering!

georgie
11-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Neither is losing XP to a pvp death.
I remember they put it in briefly and everyone was pissed.

i meant the little system he's trying to suggest

oldfish
11-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Yeah, just like he didnt take the time to code XP loss when its not on classic. Superb logic there, irony-man. :rolleyes:

Again i think if xp is to be messed with in relation to PVP, it should be XP gain on a kill with diminishing returns. XP loss is going to make most people run away from PVPing and thats not going to be fun IMO.

fuark
11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
XP loss is going to make most people run away from PVPing and thats not going to be fun IMO.

Agree. Not sure what the reasoning behind it is.

PVPBetaChamps
11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Bluebie mentality is thinking "enjoyment" is enough alone.

Fuck that, I want to watch tears fall from your face as you get deleveled from raping you.

VanEyck
11-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Exp death penalty doesn't make sense at all. Many tears will fall and they won't be mine.

Authority
11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree, no need for the exp loss.. Cr plus coin loot is enough. People will still be greifed off the server. Do you want player's or hardcore pvp?

gloinz
11-02-2011, 10:27 PM
the xp loss that was in was 1% of a level, hardly anything to cry over if you only die once.
and it is extremely effective to stop bind rushing/people from binding in places they shouldnt be

so get over it

oldfish
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
The point is will someone whos gonna die all afternoon gonna enjoy grinding all this XP back although he would enjoy an afternoon of PVPing?

I guarantee you XP loss is going to make it a ghost server... and then who are you "leets" gonna "make cry" ? Youre not thinking this through.

Hell I played on Rallos for 2 years, solo for maybe 6 months, and even for me the thought of getting crushed by a zerg and losing xp each time makes me think about not playing at all.

Im not gonna mind getting crushed all day cuz thats what happened to me on Rallos anyway, i fought twinks and 3v1 most of the times, but if i gotta grind some xp back each time i have a pvp session... wont last long. And again i garantee you that 90% of players will have less patience than me over this.

Amuk
11-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Adding exp loss on pvp death and coding a bounty system are slightly different. Regardless, I'm not sure if I like it or not. I have a feeling it will be too insignificant to effect max 50 bind rushers, and will just be an annoyance for lvling. I also don't think it'll be a big deal in the big picture, and will prove to be a useless feature altogether.

If they make it a big penalty (like a mob death) then it will succeed in detering douchbags, but be way too griefing to the rest.

oldfish
11-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Even if you only lose .5% per death, that means if you die 6 times in an hour, and you want to pvp all nite, say saturday 3pm to 3am, it means youve lost a third of a level.

It might not be that much, but i just dont see the point in it. The people who wont die are the zergers and people who are already good at the game, and xp loss is just going to give them more of an edge.

Once those people have twinks, its gonna be worse.

Amuk
11-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Die 6 times an hour for 12 hours what the fuck are you talking about. The idea behind it is someone you kill won't flip his shit and try to bind rush you all day. The last person I saw do it was Yulath on Secrets box, where we had to literally go to his bind spot and kill him over and over while we CR'd fear - it's fucking annoying, I just don't know if the exp hit will be large enough to deter someone max 50.

Amuk
11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I just can't imagine anyone having fun dying 6 times an hour for 12 hours regardless if there's exp loss or not heh, to each their own.

oldfish
11-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Die 6 times an hour for 12 hours what the fuck are you talking about. The idea behind it is someone you kill won't flip his shit and try to bind rush you all day. The last person I saw do it was Yulath on Secrets box, where we had to literally go to his bind spot and kill him over and over while we CR'd fear - it's fucking annoying, I just don't know if the exp hit will be large enough to deter someone max 50.

Gfay was pvp central on Rallos, id often do some long ass stretches of PVPing there, sometimes for 12 hours, just like i described.

Someone still has to wait for mana regen if he wants to bind rush you?

I dont know, to me bind rushing sounds alot less annoying than nobody playing the server beside the 2 big guilds because of XP loss.

Maybe they could code that if you die more than X times in Y amount of time, you get rooted for Z amount of time.

gloinz
11-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Gfay was pvp central on Rallos, id often do some long ass stretches of PVPing there, sometimes for 12 hours, just like i described.

Someone still has to wait for mana regen if he wants to bind rush you?

I dont know, to me bind rushing sounds alot less annoying than nobody playing the server beside the 2 big guilds because of XP loss.

Maybe they could code that if you die more than X times in Y amount of time, you get rooted for Z amount of time.

sullon zek had higher xp loss then this server and it did just fine 1% is NOT gonna hurt anyone who isn't either bind rushing or dying 6 times in an hour somehow like your dumbass

no xp loss is just inviting ppl to bind rush/bind wherever the fuck they want cuz if they die they can just lol

having xp loss makes you care slightly about dying, it makes you consider logging out instead of going afk in random spots, it basically makes you a little cautious about pvp however little it might be

and like i said if you die 6 times in an hour you are doing something very wrong and should probably rethink ur tactics

and 1% xp loss isnt gonna make the only ppl playing the 2 big guilds cuz i can promise you i won't b playing in either big guild and i will b playing

oldfish
11-02-2011, 11:53 PM
sullon zek had higher xp loss then this server and it did just fine 1% is NOT gonna hurt anyone who isn't either bind rushing or dying 6 times in an hour somehow like your dumbass

and like i said if you die 6 times in an hour you are doing something very wrong and should probably rethink ur tactics

Something "very wrong", you mean like fighting people who are 90% twinks?

Which will inevitably be the state of the server after a couple of months?

Then the only PVP option for new lowbies will be

a) skip pvp

b) pvp but lose xp

They wont even be able to get 5 untwinked lowbies together and gank a twink for gear because theres no item loot. They will have nothing to gain from PVP, i dont see twinks carrying coins on them while they are rampaging in lowbie zones. So not only will new guys wont be able to gain anything from pvp, they will lose xp.

At least on Rallos, i died 90% of the times to twinks but when we did get one, we got to loot him. On top of that, i got to practice alot without losing xp.

I really dont see much of anyone playing the server with XP loss after a couple of months beside people who were there at the start.

Amuk
11-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Ur cup is half empty.