PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to the Developers of Project 1999

Shrubwise
04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
I have been contemplating making this post for quite some time now. I kept putting it off because I simply could not stop playing on the server while my computer was turned on. However, I feel like now is the right time to make a post like this. Not only because it has been sitting in my head for far too long, but also because of the recent issues related to patches and gameplay.

First of all I want to say this: screw you.

Yes, screw you players who pollute these boards with demoralizing, non-constructive posts, from bitching about recent bugs related to patches, to tearing down the integrity of the developers and initiating conspiracy theories. I hope you realize that this server is hosted by other true lovers of the wonderful game that once was EverQuest, and are spending lots of their own time and money to make sure you can relive the experience.

For me personally, it takes me back to a time when I first began playing EverQuest. I was a chubby little 13 year old in middle school (I really wasn't so little; more just chubby) and I would scurry home, toss my backpack on the couch and get as many hours of gameplay in before Mom got home from work and kicked me off the household computer. Now I am reliving that scenario somewhat, 10 years later; as soon as I get home from work, I drop my car keys, kick off my work boots and load up the game. A lot has changed in 10 years, but not my love for the true Classic EverQuest Experience.

So this is it, devs. This is what I really want to say: you kick ass. I hope you know how many players truly appreciate what you do, the time you put into this project, and the fact that it is truly free. For every one person who is trying to tear it down; there will be 10 people to keep it going. We are behind you, and I know I don't speak just for myself when I pledge my loyalty, support and undying appreciation for all the time and money you pour into this server every day, every hour. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

YOU
GUYS
ROCK!
http://www.thefirstruleaboutfightclubisyoudonttalkaboutfi ghtclub.com/images/yourock.jpg

President
04-04-2010, 07:36 PM
A++, would read the first few sentences and skip to a reply again.

Kinamur1999
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Why is that guy dropping trou?

Yinikren
04-04-2010, 08:55 PM
This whole post is full of win.

Devs, you rock. Thank you so much.

Shannacore
04-04-2010, 09:02 PM
This is nice :)

Striiker
04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey! That must be his family picture.. Based upon the OP and the picture, I am guessing that as a chubby kid, you played a bard. It looks like you got the whole family goin' :)

But seriously, good post. The vast majority of users really do appreciate all that the devs are doing to run the servers. As always, there will be some vocal minority which complains when the world doesn't work the way they want. It sucks when stuff is down, but honestly, I am very impressed with the uptime of this server..

Ektar
04-04-2010, 09:15 PM
No, screw this post. I demand the following:

Stop making patches on saturday nights. God damn. That's when most of us can play! we have lives! You're here to serve me!

Stop doing patches while I'm awake! Get up in the middle of the night and do it while I am asleep! YOU'RE HERE TO SERVE ME

Stop claiming this is like 1999. What's this variance crap. It's your damn JOB to police us if you insist on caring that this project you invest all your time in goes down the crapper with people feuding. Give me ffa or give me death!

Stop not fixing the simplest of bugs. How hard could it POSSIBLY be to make the boats work! I could do better using the mouse with my testicles.

Stop providing this for free. You should be paying US to keep your passion going strong. YOU owe US.

Stop providing us a forum and loosely policing our insane claims and rants. Have you SEEN some of the things people have said that you let stay up?

k I think I flipped from satire to just flat out mockery.

Aeolwind
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
k I think I flipped from satire to just flat out mockery.

Sok, it happens, enjoy your ban.

(just kidding)

Rogean
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I lol'd

mixxit
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Why is that guy dropping trou?

lol

Saeb
04-05-2010, 02:26 AM
God I just registered. I was that 13 year old kid too. I remember sitting at the newbie log in Nektulos or camping monolith and getting facerolled by the occasional mummy which random popped on our team. That was before they raped Nektulos. Once the servers are back up I anticipate rolling a bard. Though I may not be able to resist the appeal of the dark side again and I may go DE enchanter to relive the wonders of the Newbie log.

Intricus
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Somewhat similar situation here...my older bro turned me onto EQ sometime back around 2000, and the only time I got to play was when he wasn't on, which was RARE. I'd pretty much wait for him to go to sleep just so I could log onto EQ. Now I have my own comp, and he plays WoW.....really makes me realize how much can change in 10 years...

That being said getting to experience EQ as it was in the beginning is something I never got to do, as I didnt start till around 2000/2001, and I much anticipate re-experiencing making an Iksar when Kunark opens (Iksar Monk was my very first official 'main')
I'm sure 500 other people will be rolling an Iksar Monk, and FoB and Cabalis will be lagging out due to the number of Iksar players, but still, I anticipate it:D

Timing on experiencing this project coulden't have been more fitting either...just a few months before I found out about this I bought a Sega Master System and Sega Genesis off Ebay, along with all the games I remembered playing when I was anywhere from 5-12 years old, and got to relive the memories I had playing those. Now I can say that I've done that with EQ. And, just as I used to do as a 6 year old video game nerd, i've already broken one of the sega ms controllers by throwing it in a fit of nerd rage. In a similar situation, I'll admit to being one of those players who goes off in a fit or nerd rage over various bugs/glitches in the game. Getting back into old school EQ so much just hasn't left enough space to appreciate any effort that goes into keeping the server going....

Well, not very often I get into 'appreciative' moods like this, guess I had to take advantage of it while it lasted. Once this server gets up and running again, I'm sure I, like many others, will find something in classic EQ to complain about. :D

grindle
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I have been contemplating making this post for quite some time now. I kept putting it off because I simply could not stop playing on the server while my computer was turned on. However, I feel like now is the right time to make a post like this. Not only because it has been sitting in my head for far too long, but also because of the recent issues related to patches and gameplay.

Yes, screw you players who pollute these boards with demoralizing, non-constructive posts, from bitching about recent bugs related to patches, to tearing down the integrity of the developers and initiating conspiracy theories. I hope you realize that this server is hosted by other true lovers of the wonderful game that once was EverQuest, and are spending lots of their own time and money to make sure you can relive the experience.

For me personally, it takes me back to a time when I first began playing EverQuest. I was a chubby little 13 year old in middle school (I really wasn't so little; more just chubby) and I would scurry home, toss my backpack on the couch and get as many hours of gameplay in before Mom got home from work and kicked me off the household computer. Now I am reliving that scenario somewhat, 10 years later; as soon as I get home from work, I drop my car keys, kick off my work boots and load up the game. A lot has changed in 10 years, but not my love for the true Classic EverQuest Experience.

So this is it, devs. This is what I really want to say: you kick ass. I hope you know how many players truly appreciate what you do, the time you put into this project, and the fact that it is truly free. For every one person who is trying to tear it down; there will be 10 people to keep it going. We are behind you, and I know I don't speak just for myself when I pledge my loyalty, support and undying appreciation for all the time and money you pour into this server every day, every hour. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

YOU
GUYS
ROCK!
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8807/yourock.jpg

Shrubwise has gotten better at Awesome Post (1) good job

maultar
04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I admit I don't read every post but people are trying to tear it down? Being asses?

Striiker
04-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I admit I don't read every post but people are trying to tear it down? Being asses?

I don't know what you're asking but I thought the post was pretty damn good and funny. The picture is a good one.

maultar
04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
No the OP was saying people are trying to ruin this and pats the devs on the backs for hard work. I just don't see anyone trying to tear it down. Again, I don't read all posts though and in the grand scheme I'm fairly new here.

Nen
04-08-2010, 02:17 PM

YOU
GUYS
ROCK!
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8807/yourock.jpg

A++ would do biz w/ again.