PDA

View Full Version : Class choice question

Sykyth
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Let me preface this by saying I only seriously played two toons on Live and that was a monk and a necro. I played up through Time and then pretty much bailed.

I have dabbled on this server and really enjoy it. Wanting to do something different I rolled and mage and very casually hit 16 today. Not to offend other mages but it just seems sorta boring. Stupid powerful but boring. Being the dime a dozen class also kinda turns me off.

I am not super concerned about which class is OP or gimp I am just looking to do something different. I am comfortable performing any role (dps, heal, tank or puller). At this point my thoughts are either shaman, cleric, paladin, warrior and possibly bard (because it sounds like it take some thought to play). Any feedback from people who know the classes and server would be appreciated.

ps.. I am a big fan of play what you enjoy (and i do enjoy the monk and necro) but I am looking to do something different this time around.

Thanks.

BuzWeaver
04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Knowing that one of my friends would brow beat me to death if I started a Druid, I would suggest trying out a Druid. I had a Druid main in EQ since day one when the game came out and I still love playing Druids.

On this server I think a Druid would be a great class as they are jacks of all trades. I like them because they have mobility and are good soloers. In a group they are decent back up healers and not to bad of pullers.

I'm really resisting making another, but since this is the old school style the slowness of getting around is wearing on me, LOL. I know its all part of the fun, but I may have to sneak a Druid on at some point.

I've played most all of the characters minus the finger twiddlers. A shaman is fun, they are nearly as busy as a Bard. If you like keeping yourself occupied these two classes will keep you plenty busy.

The other character I'd most likely want to play is a Beastlord. I'm not sure when those will be available, but they are a lot of fun to.

PearlJammzz
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Bard, Shaman, or Chanter.

All 3 are money in any group or raid.

Striiker
04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
If you are interested in a challenging class to play or one which really requires that you are on top of everything, I would suggest an enchanter. I first started a paladin but saw what a wizard could do one day in North Karana. On Fennin Ro a wizard by the name of Heck was soloing some serious stuff. I immediately started my wizard, Singe. It was a fun class to play and required some thought around watching when in a group, to unload all of that power but I wanted more.
I read up on enchanters and thought I'd give it a try. I should also mention that as a wizard, I was completely addicted to clarity. I would bind in a dungeon, find an enchanter somewhere willing to do clarity and port out to the nearest wizard destination and find the enchanter and then gate back into the group. The thought of having clarity when ever I wanted it was another reason to roll an enchanter.
A well played enchanter can really make the difference in a group. It can mean a wipe or an encounter where everyone is totally spent at the end, but alive. I've had some incredible times as an enchanter and it's a class I truly love to play. I also really enjoyed playing a monk as they pose their own challenges and allowed me to get out to actually see dungeons (where as an enchanter and wizard, I sat at the camp.
Enchanters can do incredibly well soloing as well. When you learn how to use charm effectively, enchanters rock..
Give enchanters a try.. You might like it as much as I did..

Eastwood
04-05-2010, 12:51 AM
I think we could use more bards, those guys are fun to have when played well.

My advice is stay away from tanking unless you have some income, it can be frustrating and painful to outlevel your means to purchase level appropriate, agro holding gear. Ive had that problem, I've also had some luck and windfalls lately to keep me moving forward.

But I dont see a lot of good bards at higher level. Seems like when I was 1-20 lots of people loved to play bard twinks but as I've gotten into the mid levels I dont see very bards around.

Olorin
04-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Two others that seems to be in short supply are wizards and monks ...

Tsuken
04-05-2010, 06:09 AM
druid is very fun to play.

But if you want to be different, play a bard. 40% exp penalty tho. and twisting is still bugged on EMU as well as some other bard related bugs. But, there are some great bards on this server who made it to 50, so it can't be all that bad.

Grento
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I am having trouble decided what to play this time around also. Played an end game mage back in classic and an end game necro during PoP, GoD and OOW. Part of me wants to stay in my comfort zone and go with either of those because I know I play them well and I know they can solo. The other part of me wants to try something completely new like a utility class, the only problem is that I remember how difficult leveling was even when able to solo, I can't imagine how hard it must having to rely on groups.

Crone
04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Relying on groups isn't that hard. It can be frustrating at times, but isn't that bad. As a Warrior, I have no choice but to rely on groups, but what I've done is just started making my own groups.

My friends list is filled with great players I've grouped with, which helps in making groups down the line. I'd say if you are not one that likes making your own groups, then a group dependant character may not be for you. Too often I see multiple LFGs called out, that very easily join up and make a great group, but don't. Take the lead, and get them together, and you'll do just fine.

As for soloing.. Druids are a utility class that can solo very well. Wizards are that way as well. Pure DPS, but get ports as well which makes it a lot easier in this old world without PoK.

Grento
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
^

I was playing around with a druid yesterday and it was fun. Will probably give enc, cleric and wiz a try also before I make my decision. This is great, I feel like it's 99 all over again, it's even around the same time of year when EQ originally came out.

Sykyth
04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks to everyone. I narrowed it down to bard or enchanter. I will do a bit of research and then make my toon. Thanks again.

Crone
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Not bad choices. As a warrior, in dungeons, I'm always very glad to take on an Enchanter.

In later expansions, I've seen bards do just as well with CC as enchanters, but for some reason, thus far on p99, I've not seen a single bard that could CC as well as an Enchanter. No idea if it's the spells/songs they get, bugs, or what.

Grento
04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Not bad choices. As a warrior, in dungeons, I'm always very glad to take on an Enchanter.

In later expansions, I've seen bards do just as well with CC as enchanters, but for some reason, thus far on p99, I've not seen a single bard that could CC as well as an Enchanter. No idea if it's the spells/songs they get, bugs, or what.

From what I remember, bards weren't as desirable as an enchanter for CC until later on. This is 10 years though so my memory is probably fuzzy.

Gweed
04-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Group with Gstring - Very impressive

Crone
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I've seen plenty that could put out great DPS, and fewer still that even would keep a charmed pet around, but never one that ever did any type of mez CC. Like Grento says, I suspect it's something to do with their CC just not being as good.

Barkingturtle
04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
As a bard it's a little tougher to do amazing CC because you have to target and reapply your mezzes every 24 seconds. Basically, you can keep three mobs locked down reliably if you're not a total suck, and if you're actually good you can hold down four. But never five. Five is right out.