PDA

View Full Version : Unresponsive / Sticky gameplay

Reiker
11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Not sure exactly how to describe this issue. I normally play on a decently powerful gaming PC with a Q6600 and everything runs absolutely perfectly. However I'm temporarily playing on a Gateway system with an Intel Dual Core (not Core2Duo) processor and the game plays very differently. Unresponsive is the best way I can describe it. FPS is fine, however things like using the scroll wheel to scroll out to third person is very... slow. On my normal computer I can scroll out to max third person in a single swipe of the middle mouse button... now it would take me at least a minute of constant scrolling just to scroll all the way out... its that big of a change. Turning is just as slow, and the game feels extremely sticky and unresponsive. There will be a tiny half a second delay before I start running, and as I stop I kinda skate or skid forward a little longer than I should. Combine this with really slow turning and basic movement get a bit frustrating. It's still playable, but just takes some getting used to. Any sort of "fine" movement such as jumping and landing in a particular spot or even just inching up on things is impossible, however. I'm curious if anyone else sees these types of issues and if there's a sort of fix. Someone told me to limit my FPS to 50 which didn't help.

Morfnblorsh
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
The camera in EQ has always been sort of... gritty. It's just how the game was. It's not your computer or the server, it's Verant. Even in later expansions when the UI was improved, although it worked way, way better it was still a bit wacky.

Hope that helps? :D

Reiker
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
No, like I said, there's a delay to movement such as turning and running. I can stop running and I still "skid" for a few seconds. It's not an issue with EQ as I don't have any of these problems on my own computer.

guineapig
11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I can't say that I am experiencing your issues so best of luck getting it figured out. Something definitely doesn't sound right there and I don't think it's the game.

On a semi-unrelated-related note, I remember being able to turn the camera as well as zoom in and out while sitting back in live. Now all I can do is soom in and out but can't seem to change my angle at all.

Also when I'm standing changing the camera angle turns my character as well so I can't even have my character face me for a screenshot. What setting do I need to change here and what do I change it to? I tried a few things but haven't figured it out yet.

Morfnblorsh
11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Ah, I'm sorry, I misunderstood or misread what you typed. I thought the movement you mentioned referred to camera movement. My bad.

Vanech
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Chances are, your problems are stemming from playing on a Gateway!

What operating system is it running?

How much RAM does it have?

How many processes are running when you check the task manager? (if you have access to the task manager with the installed OS)

Is the system virus free?

Is it spyware free?

When was the last time it was defragged?

What is the history of the PC, is it your old system or did it belong to someone else?

Falisaty
11-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I can't say that I am experiencing your issues so best of luck getting it figured out. Something definitely doesn't sound right there and I don't think it's the game.

On a semi-unrelated-related note, I remember being able to turn the camera as well as zoom in and out while sitting back in live. Now all I can do is soom in and out but can't seem to change my angle at all.

Also when I'm standing changing the camera angle turns my character as well so I can't even have my character face me for a screenshot. What setting do I need to change here and what do I change it to? I tried a few things but haven't figured it out yet.

try using the f9 or f10 buttons to chang camera angle

Reiker
11-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Chances are, your problems are stemming from playing on a Gateway!

What operating system is it running?

How much RAM does it have?

How many processes are running when you check the task manager? (if you have access to the task manager with the installed OS)

Is the system virus free?

Is it spyware free?

When was the last time it was defragged?

What is the history of the PC, is it your old system or did it belong to someone else?

a) Yeah its a gateway
b) vista, 3 or 4 gigs, I cleaned up the system of spyware (only a couple things, mostly IE browser toolbars), viruses (found nothing), defragged (needed it), and... it's my mom's computer.

But, this is all moot cause I went and got my own gaming computer from my old apartment, so I'm no longer borrowing my mom's (yeah, EQ addiction runs deep).

Still weird, since I played EQ 10 years ago on a 333 mhz gateway with 32 megs of ram with no issues. My mom's computer has more than enough power to the run game correctly. I'm assuming it's some issue with the Intel Dual Core chips, (not core 2 duo, I run a core 2 quad q6600 in my normal computer and like I said, that's fine) but who knows.

Reiker
11-08-2009, 04:32 AM
yes, more than enough power to the run game correctly.

I need sleep.