PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out how to play at work

Chucck
04-03-2010, 03:46 AM
Alright computer wiz's I need help. I would like to be able to play at work but have no Internet connection available nor wifi. I will try any other way that is known to work. Does anyone actually know if he game is playable on a 3g network? I have a laptop I could bring in or would pickup a netbook and run a 3g card if it worked.
What about thisthing called tethering? I have an apple iPhone 3gs, could this phone do it if that was a viable option? Thanks

kanly
04-03-2010, 05:08 AM
well first i think you need to jailbreak your iphone, second why ask others to google search for you? just type into google iphone windows tethering and im sure you will find lots of guides. not trying to be a jerk but have you even looked for the answer yourself?

Gweed
04-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Yes it will play over 3g quite easily.

Get yourself an aircard from any major provider and go to town..

Chucck
04-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Kanly I know you feel real great about yourself right now, but I can't exactly google to see if a tethered 3g smartphone will play EQ. Which is what I was trying to really find out.

Gweed, thank you. Have you ever tried it? Most 3G aircards (verizon/sprint/att) etc seem to have 5gig limits per month so i would have to find an unlimited provider.

mixxit
04-03-2010, 07:35 AM
i'm using a hauwai 3g hsdpa k3565 rev 2 card without issues on the £10 a month unlimited o2 pay and go service

since the prices in the uk are through the roof for internet in comparison to other countries i can't see finding one in the states that difficult

Chucck
04-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Problem with most 3g in US, atleast local to the northeast is that the big companies limit you to a 5gig a month transfer. But now that I know eq plays on 3g, I will find a way!

mixxit
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
enjoy! great to have mobile eq :-D

now if only i could find a way to keep an eye on the road and heal my group

Chucck
04-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Curious to anyone in the states that plays on 3g, what company do you use and what price/package do you have?

kanly
04-04-2010, 03:04 AM
chuck, 3g network is internet, tethering is using the phone on the computer to get internet. Doing a quick google search i found the download on 3g ranged from 500kbps to over 1000kbps with uplinks ranging from 200kbps to over 700kbps. Everquest needs a 28.8Kbps link as says the system requirements. What cant you google....

Btw depending on if you work for a medium to large sized company, they most likely have a policy to prevent what you are doing. If caught you could face disciplinary action up to and including being fired. I know people who used applications such as logmein.com to remote into their pc at home or play their psp at work, they got fired. I know this because i have worked in IT for a while and know how IT policy is applied

Sources cited
http://www.totalformat.com/forum/everquest/39951-everquest-system-requirements.html

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=167391&page=1&zoomIdx=1

Chucck
04-04-2010, 07:18 AM
I know that if I was physically caught I could face discipline, but thats not really an issue.
If I used a 3g network(which when I referred to it, i basicly meant phone service, didn't know it qualified as actual internet) on my own computer, theres no traceable internet activity so I would be fine.
The only 3g capable networks I can find are Sprint/Verizon/ATT. They have the bandwidth cap so thats why I am asking if anyone stateside uses an aircard/phone service to play, how it works for them, and their package.

mixxit
04-04-2010, 07:56 AM
i'm not sure if it will help you but the same service in the uk also has caps - but the one for my actual phone doesn't - i just use that sim card in a 3g dongle and boom no cap

maybe you should not look for mobile broadband but more a phone tariff with unlimited browsing that's not just http

techdetects
07-16-2020, 09:26 AM
Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best (https://techdetects.com/garmin-fenix-6-pro-vs-apple-watch-series-5-which-one-is-best-fitness-smartwatch/).